Respect your children

sheikhonderun

This is an excerpt from one of Tariq Jameel’s speeches. Its translated more or less meaning.

I ask parents to not to place their children in trial, don’t place such hardship on them that they become rebellious, don’t restrict them on their permissible wants, don’t humiliate, taunt them, disagree with them, hit them, constantly criticize them. These are what make children rebellious.

Prophet (saw) said “Give due respect and regard to your children.” (Abu Daud)

Lot of parents consider their children as property & and treat them harshly. In consequence there is rebellion on their part.

How did my Prophet (saw) give respect? When Fatima would visit and she would come at the door. Our Prophet (saw) would stand out of respect. We usually stand up for our elders. And we should its good etiquette. But what is my Prophet (saw) doing? He (saw) is standing up for his daughter.

Are there any parents out there who stand up for their children? Do we give this level of protocol?

And he (saw) wouldn’t just stand there he would rush towards Fatima. He would then hold her hand and kiss it. After which he (saw) wouldn’t let go, he would keep holding her hand and have her seated. Only after he (saw) would take a seat. This is ‘respect’ that Prophet (saw) would have for his children.

And Fatima would do the same for Prophet (saw). When Prophet (saw) would visit Fatima she is sitting, laying down, she would rush to Prophet (saw) hold his hand, kiss it, never let go of his hand, have her father seated and then sit down. This is due to Prophet (saw) teaching her on how to give respect.

If you give this level of respect to your children, then it will come back to you.

`A’isha, the Umm al-Mu’minin, said, “I did not see anyone who more resembled the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, in manner of speaking than Fatima. When she came to him, he stood up for her, made her welcome, kissed her and had her sit in his place. When the Prophet came to her, she stood up for him, took his hand, made him welcome, kissed him, and made him sit in her place. She came to him during his final illness and he greeted her and kissed her.” (Al Adab Al-Mufrad)

This is something that you probably have never heard of. You must have heard Prophet (saw) miracle that moon was split. We usually speak about Prophet (saw) with regards to miracles. Respect and honor exist for Prophet (saw) but the way/guidance in which to live and what’s relevant to one’s life will come based on these sorts of incidents.

This is so that your homes flourish. Remember this! Your homes are not going to flourish being tied to physical appearances, educational pedigree, money, gold or silver. I swear on Allah its only character.