Rice Porridge in oven and Blueberry Soup

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
pcxJOkz.jpg

1 liter milk
1,5 dl sticky rice
0,5 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter

Grease a baking dish, add the milk, salt and rinsed rice. Allow to simmer in the oven about 1.5 - 2 hours. Stir a couple of times a baking of the first half. The oven temperature of 175 - 200 degrees C.

Enjoy with berry soup or milk, cinnamon and sugar.

Blueberry Soup

8 dl water 
5 dl blueberries 
1 dl sugar 
2 tablespoons potato flour 
½ dl water

Measure water and blueberries in a saucepan, boil for 5-10 minutes. Pour through a strainer, and squeeze the blueberries with a large plastic bucket or a spoon through a sieve. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Mix with potato flour and cold water together and add the mixture to a saucepan in a thin strip carefully stirring. Let the soup boil without stirring.

Other version:

400 ml fresh or frozen bilberries
200 ml water
100 - 150 ml sugar

Pour the bilberries, water and sugar in a saucepan.

Bring the mixture slowly to the boil, crushing the berries with a spoon or a pounder. Cook the mixture for a few minutes, then strain it through a fine sieve. Store covered in refrigerator.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Is it delicious?

Sure. Why I would make (and send recipes to here) if it wouldn´t be?

That´s an old traditional food here, making in oven or as cooked porridge. Another version is to make it using barley groats as barley grows here, unlike rice.

Cariad

I know it as rice pudding. :) if I make it I buy full cream milk.. Or even milk from channel Island cows (even creamier) like Jersey or Guernsey milk. Ok.. Not so healthy with fat for some people but now and again it is nice to have. Like a comfort food.

I like it served with cinnamon apple rings. :)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
That sounds goooood - I need to try some day the full cream milk. Traditionally we use milk (or milk&water) because earlier this porridge was everyday food (with barley), specially poor people ate it. Now it´s more as dessert.

Cariad

Thank you for your time Sister Herb. I always enjoy your posts.

It's back :(

God bless and keep you.