Ruling on buying and keeping fashion magazines

Salaffi

Ruling on buying and keeping fashion magazines

What is the ruling on (buying) fashion magazines, in order to find out about new and different styles for women’s clothes? What is the ruling on keeping them after using them, since they are full of pictures of women?

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly buying magazines in which there is nothing but pictures is haraam, because keeping pictures is haraam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are images.” And when he saw the images on the cushion that ‘Aa’ishah had brought, he stopped and did not enter, and she saw signs of displeasure on his face. These magazines which show pictures of fashion should not be looked at. Not every kind of dress is permissible; because some designs may show the ‘awrah either because they are too tight or for some other reason. This fashion may be part of the dress of the kaafirs which belongs exclusively to them, and imitating the kaafirs is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” What I advise my Muslim brothers in general, and the Muslim women in particular, to do is to avoid these fashions, because some of them may involve imitating non-Muslims and some may involve showing the ‘awrah. Moreover, if women look to every new fashion, will lead to them abandoning our customs which are based on from our religion, and adopting other customs that have come from the non-Muslims.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen in al-Fataawa al-‘Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 3, p. 861

kayleigh

I've never understood the logic behind the idea that wearing "Western" clothes is imitating kafirs.

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
[size=+1]Though women wears "Western Clothes" but they are not just going out in public in that dress (B'cos a Muslim Women will be covered from head to toe) and what ever fashion she do or dress she wears is just to please her husband or just to attract him isint it?All her beauty is for her Husband.
Then is this also haram?[/size]

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I know, what if the woman just wants the dress to show in front of mahrams? It makes no sense. A person can't live so extremely..

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I know, what if the woman just wants the dress to show in front of mahrams? It makes no sense. A person can't live so extremely..

As-salaamu `alaykum

Nothing said you can't, so long as you stick within limits. I think this fatwa was misunderstood a little. Obviously, if someone buys these magazines it might be that the dress and fashion styles push them to imitating the kuffaar. That doesn't mean western clothing, especially in front of mahrams is disallowed. Pay attention to what the Shaykh addresses, as he didn't explicitly say this, and he and his contemporaries spoke at length about these issues.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother

I have red this rulling before on Islam QA, but to be honest I did not understood it well.

Is this rulling dedicated on explaning prohibition of keeping pictures for what is like the prove applied hadith:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are images.” And when he saw the images on the cushion that ‘Aa’ishah had brought, he stopped and did not enter, and she saw signs of displeasure on his face.

Or this rulling is used on explaning the isue of imitating non-Muslims and their customs???

Or for both???

"and imitating the kaafirs is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

But what about our use of computers and the globalNet Internet Services??? Can that also be way of imitating non-Muslims or watching TV etc..

On base of what is decided for example which of the things that non-Muslims use we can also use, on base of what is decided what goes by "imitating non-Muslims" and it is forbiden for us???

Does that all depends of the way how we use it, becouse for example using the net one can find all fashion magazines. How that using computers is not "imitating non-Muslims" and it is not forbiden for us but something else is???

The rulling that brother has posted is very short but it has brought many questions to me. And Allah knows the best.

Wa Allaicumu sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Sister Asja, just as I said to Tabassum, pay attention to the fatwa. He shows that firstly, images are haraam. Secondly, he shows that a portion of these fashion magazines may contain images of dress specific of the kuffaar. And one who uses reasoning will know that having these magazines may lead one to imitate the styles within. This is a major harm, yet what is more clear is the prohibition of photography. He said in clear, explicit terms,

This fashion may be part of the dress of the kaafirs which belongs exclusively to them, and imitating the kaafirs is haraam because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Really there is no dispute. Inshaa' Allaah, if you read the fatwa you will realise this. He didn't reason that magazine publishing is from the kuffaar and hence we shouldn't use them. This is not what the Shaykh said.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair dear brother Al-Kashmiri for your inputs, but InshAllah you will agree with me that everyone who uses reasoning will see that this rulling is not well explained as there has been left a loot of space that can lead to misunderstanding.

First regarding the part of prohibition of drawing pictures by hand of people and animals for what we know it is unlawful. In the rulling posted by brother "Salaffi" was not made difference beetwen "drawing pictures by hand " and photography. It is only said :"Undoubtedly buying magazines in which there is nothing but pictures is haraam, because keeping pictures is haraam".

Mayority of the schoolars agree that it is haram to keep pictures of living beings which are drown by hand, but this prohibition does not refers on photography.

Here is the fatwah regarding this question.It was posted hear on TTI by our dear brother"alkathiri", and I am useing this opportunity to thank him for this usefull post.

Question: Is it unlawful to draw pictures and create statues and figurines? If it is unlawful, are there any exceptions?

Answered by Shiekh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

The ruling regarding image making needs to be addressed in detail:

Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful. This is indicated by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`ûd also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest of penalties on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim].

Making statues of animals and people is the most unlawful aspect of image making, and it deserves the severest punishment from Allah. Drawing pictures comes second.

However, the following cases are exempted from this ruling:

1. Images used by children for playing and for learning are lawful. `Aishah said: “I used to play with dolls in front of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) with my friends …” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim] as these are a means for education and constructive play and are free from the danger of being venerated.

2. Photography does not come under the category of forbidden image making, since there are many differences between photographs and hand-rendered images. It is lawful because it is an act of capturing a reflection like the reflection of an image on a mirror. Most importantly, the problem of human emulation of the creative process is not as it is with painting and sculpture.

And Allah knows best.

islamtoday.com

Going further in understanding the prohibition of keeping "Fashion magazins" from the rulling posted above we realise that it is forbiden to keep them becouse of the pictures in them and because of the clothes that can lead in imitateing non-Muslims in dressing.

But we know that mayority of the "fashion magazins" is consisted of the pictures which are resolt of photography, and from the fatwah above we can se that photography is not forbiden in Islam. From this we can keep "some fashion magazins" becouse also the clothes that is shown there, can be part of clotheing for Muslim woman inside the house and infront of mahrams.

All this was not explained in the ruling above.

Now my question would be for example. Can I keep "Fashion magazines" for Muslim woman in which is presented clothhes that should be wear inside and outside home, and all pictures which are in those magazines are resolt of photography.

I have red the fatwah which sais that photography is not forbiden, so takeing this part in consideration I can keep those "Fashion magazines" becouse I am not breaking the rule about image makeing.

Regarding the isue of "imitating non-Muslims in dressing", that is also explained since the clothes which we wear inside and outside home is different. So by this we also can keep those "Fashion magazines" and still not break the rule of prohibation of imitateing non-Muslims in dressing.

That is why I did not understod this rulling in the begining as the things were not explained well, but Allhamdullilah our duty is to seek knowledge becouse only on that way we will not have doubts and we will stay upon the truth.

And Allah knows the best

May Allah bless you all

WA Allaicumu Salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Is all image are not permissible or only human or animal images?

Question: Is it unlawful to draw pictures and create statues and figurines? If it is unlawful, are there any exceptions?

Answered by Shiekh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

The ruling regarding image making needs to be addressed in detail:

Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful. This is indicated by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`ûd also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest of penalties on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim].

Making statues of animals and people is the most unlawful aspect of image making, and it deserves the severest punishment from Allah. Drawing pictures comes second.

However, the following cases are exempted from this ruling:

1. Images used by children for playing and for learning are lawful. `Aishah said: “I used to play with dolls in front of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) with my friends …” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim] as these are a means for education and constructive play and are free from the danger of being venerated.

2. Photography does not come under the category of forbidden image making, since there are many differences between photographs and hand-rendered images. It is lawful because it is an act of capturing a reflection like the reflection of an image on a mirror. Most importantly, the problem of human emulation of the creative process is not as it is with painting and sculpture.

And Allah knows best.

islamtoday.com

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

When I meant it was clear, I meant from the Shaykh's words, not the issue itself since as you said, it's disputed. However, there are some important points to bear in mind.

The scholars differ on photography, and I believe most of the well-known scholars say that it is prohibited except for beneficial purposes, such as for identification etc. However, most agree that keeping photos, hanging them on walls etc. is not allowed. So when they ruled that photography isn't like a hand-drawing, this doesn't justify all forms of photography (I don't know of a scholar who has said this), rather they use this to justify the exceptions; the cases when photography is permitted (inshaa' Allaah).

Regarding books etc., then I know that some scholars don't see imagery/drawing in children's books problematic (the argument against this is pretty strong), others believe/hope that knowledge based-books, if the images are too many to erase, then you can leave them. But (fashion) magazines don't contain the benefit of the aforementioned material, they are not as beneficial or necessary as the kinds of publications that todays `Ullemaa' don't see a problem with, and Allaah knows best.

Another point, Shaykh Tuwayjiri's fatwa is important, but it doesn't explicitly oppose Ibn `Uthaymeen's fatwa in any way. At-Tuwayjiri mentioned an exception to the general prohibition of drawing, photography, and justified it. However, he didn't rule on its usages, mediums, purposes and forms, such as fashion/modelling magazines. So we shouldn't use his opinion to justify this issue. In addition, his fatwa doesn't fit in completely to this topic, since it is general and not specific.

The best thing is to look at the various opinions of the scholars and find the most specific proofs to argue for or against this particular matter, because the general fataawaa about imagery/photography do not resolve this issue (of fashion magazines). To illustrate, Ibn `Uthaymeen was probably one of the first and most well-known shuyookh to allow photography. But his fataawaa indicate that certain forms of photography (such as this modelling, and general family photos that are displayed) are not included in this exception and allowance.

So there are two reasons he has given for this ruling: The imitation of the kuffaar that may be a result of possessing these magazines, and the fact that the magazines are full of images. If we look at together with his other fataawaa, then this would indicate that he doesn't include fashion photography as an exception to what is haraam. So it would be best to see what Shaykh At-Tuwayjiree has said about this particular issue, before we assume he's believes it's ok. I say this because his opinion on photography in the general sense, is similar to `Uthaymeen's.

Anyhow, jazaakillaahu khayran for sharing the fatwa.

Allaah knows best.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu alaykum wa raahmatulahi wa baarakatuhu

Yes, it is clear that the most of us agreed that issue is not clear itselfe,and words of Shaikh were cleared in the sence of understanding them, but not understanding the complete ruling.

Schoolars opinions defire on the issue should images made by hand and photography be treated as the same, so we have those who say it is not same,and other who consider it as the same.

Allah said:'' It is He who forms you in the wombs however He wills. There is no deity except Him, the Exalted in Might, the Wise'' 3:06
According to the above verse, TASWEER means forming , shaping and creation, which is prohibited, but that ruling is not applicable on photography because there is no forming, creation or shaping in photography, how ever it is applicable on painting or shaping bodies with Clay, Cement or Sand and so forth
Narrated By Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her): Allah's Apostle (Peace Be Upon Him) returned from a journey when I had placed a curtain of mine having pictures over a chamber of mine. When Allah's Apostle saw it, He tore it and said, "the people who will receive the severest punishment on the day of Resurrection will be those who try to make the like of Allah's creations" so we turned it into one or two cushions (narrated by Al-Bukhari)
Ibn Umar narrated that, the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) said: "the painter of these pictures will be punished on the day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, "make alive what you have created" (narrated by Al-Bukhari)

According to the above two hadeeths, making pictures of alive things is not allowed because the maker of pictures and paintings is making the like of Allah's creations, but the one who takes the picture of a creation of Allah and take it with a camera in order to copy it to a paper as is without changing it, does not fall under that threat because he is not creating but copying the original creation of Allah, so generally, taking pictures with cameras or video recording is permissible, keeping pictures in albums is also allowed but not to hang them on walls or tables which may lead to sanctification of images which is Haraam
Regarding what all schoolrs agree that photos or pictures of live beings can not be displayed on the walls or anywhere else Alhmamdulillah. And Allah knows the best.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are images.”

In the book " Radiyu-s-saleehen" it writes that it is forbidden to display photos or picturs of live beings on walls, clothes, stone, etc. But what if you are keeping photos in photo album or in fasion magazines,or student magazine or those for health care which are not displayed Alhamudlillah,and that we only use them for usefull things.

For example, for me fashion magazine might not be importante, but for the sister who is desigining clothes for Muslim women inside of her home might be importante. Or for example for me, the magazine of my University is importante for me, but for this sister not.
Both of those magazines have photos of live beings, but we are not useing them for displaying or imatating non Muslims in anything, but for usefull things.

Probably the reason why we do not understand this rulling is because we have diffrent opinion of Schoolars upon the same issue.

Thank you dear brother for the important points you made, they have been beneficial.

So we shouldn't use his opinion to justify this issue. In addition, his fatwa doesn't fit in completely to this topic, since it is general and not specific.

Allhamdullilah this is correct, we should not use his opinion to justify this isue, but Inshallah we can use it for the better understanding of the same. I hope that maybe soon we will have the fatwah of knowledgable people who will unite all this questions and situations in one takeing all opinions and proves in consideration. That would be very usefull for all of us. May Allah help us on that way.Ameen

May Allah forgive me if I have said something wrong.

I pray to Allah, to guide us of better understanding,ameen.

Jazzak Allah khair

:wasalam:

q8penpals

I've never understood the logic behind the idea that wearing "Western" clothes is imitating kafirs.

Salam

And just to point out, NOT ALL fashion magazines are for "Western" clothing - there are tons of magazines that are sold in Kuwait from all over the world, showcasing fashions from lots of different areas. There are at least 6 Arabic fashion magazines sold in my local grocery store.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I found more from Ibn `Uthaymeen which puts this whole issue and his opinion into better perspective. Note the difference between the purposes of buying, without doing so, you may find it harder to understand the apparently 'conflicting' opinions...

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: What is the ruling on pictures that are found on packaging and in magazines and newspapers?

He replied:

With regard to pictures that are found on packaging and in magazines and newspapers, whatever it is possible to avoid should be left alone; whatever cannot be avoided, if the picture is not what is sought, then it seems that the prohibition is lifted, based on the shar’i principle, “and [Allaah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship” [al-Hajj 22:78]. And hardship dictates leniency. But keeping away from it is better. End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (2/260).

And he (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The fourth category: Keeping pictures that one has no desire for, but they come along with something else, like those which are found in magazines and newspapers that the person does not buy for the sake of the pictures, rather he wants what is in those magazines and newspapers, such as news, scientific research and so on. It seems that there is nothing wrong with this, because the images in them are not what is sought. But if it is possible to erase them without any hardship or difficulty, that is better. End quote from Sharh Kitaab al-Tawheed, Baab Ma Ja’a fi’l-Musawwireen.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/99363

faustobiason

I never read these fashion magazines, they are nothing but monumental bad taste, flashing knickers, etc, including that Lebanese one, what is the name, Jasad?
They should be shunned by everyone, regardless of religious affiliation.
They should be burned on the public square.

Fausto