salam alykom , i wanna help with that question !!!

magood

Salam alykom , brothers & sister ,

i'm living at west right now , i have been subjected to a couple of questions ; sometimes i found it hard to answer so i really need your help with that

someone asks that there are some verses in Qur'an that can be interpreted in bad way or the extremism guys can take them as an excuse to execute awful stuff with name of Islam

for example :

( "And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing" -- surat al baqarah. )

like verses encourage to kill the disbelievers and that was only mentioned at certain situation , but if someone that ignorant with Islam he can interpret it in bad way ,,,,,,

so they ask me why those verses that mentioned at past still be there & could cause harmful consequences....??

i'm 100% sure that it's not allowed for anyone to change in Allah's book ,, but i wanna logical answer according to what they think ?

jazakom allah khair ,,,,

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum;

as I too live in the west, I have met same problem with some non-muslims. They separate some sentences from context and by that way try to mock Islam. I have usually asked them read ALL surah, not pick up some sentences from here and there.

Just similar sentences anyone can pick up from the Bible too - separating from context and let them sounds irrational.

a_stranger

Assalmu alaikim ,to understand Quran we need to learn life of our prophet salla Allah alaihi wa sallam .we need to understand the circumstances under which those verses were revealed.We need to study .

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

someone asks that there are some verses in Qur'an that can be interpreted in bad way or the extremism guys can take them as an excuse to execute awful stuff with name of Islam

for example :

( "And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing" -- surat al baqarah. )

like verses encourage to kill the disbelievers and that was only mentioned at certain situation , but if someone that ignorant with Islam he can interpret it in bad way ,,,,,,

so they ask me why those verses that mentioned at past still be there & could cause harmful consequences....??

i'm 100% sure that it's not allowed for anyone to change in Allah's book ,, but i wanna logical answer according to what they think ?

jazakom allah khair ,,,,

Assalaamualaikum brother..
I always believed that " Islam = Peace ".. When i started reading The Quran even i had such questions.. I pondered over it, thought that when the religion itself means Peace, then how come it goes against the base of the religion, it can't be contradictory.. So i went on to read the Life History Of Prophet(pbuh) and the Tafsir and then actually came to know the real reason behind why such a verse was revealed..

Logical Answer : -
Usually such verses were revealed to Prophet SAW when they were facing tortures from the Anti-islam ppl (Quraish & allies of Quraish).. They were being oppressed/tortured/teased/mocked etc. Lets take an example for better understanding - You believe in Islam but ppl around you are not letting you follow it, you are being tortured, u remain patient.. U are being mocked at, yet u remain patient.. you are not allowed to pray, yet you be patient.. Over a period of time, they keep doing the same thing, treating you bad, not allowing you to freely follow Islam.. Then wat do you do? Fight back? For how long an you keep quiet and be oppressed? Even you are entitled to life with freedom, entitled to follow what you want to, entitled to express yourself freely. But do rem,at that time there were no police/army and defense.. Only wars and battles used to decide.. These days we have laws(dunno how much effective they are, but still)..

But, only answer you can give to them is that they have to understand the Life History of Prophet(SAW), the circumstances, the situations in which the verses were revealed.. Else you can read the tafsir ( which a_stranger sister ) has provided the link for. :)

Regarding extremism - It is not allowed, i read in a hadith that Prophet(SAW) told us not to be extremist in the religion.. If possible i shall search and post the exact hadith. InshaAllah. :)

If am wrong, May Allah(SWT) forgive me.. And pls do correct me too..
Allah Knows the best..

Peace :)

strive-may-i

Walaikum Ssalaam Brother,
Yes these Surah as pointed out should be read in the context. For most times to Interpret... a context is needed. A content taken out of context looses direction. So once its lost direction, they add direction out of malice.

Take some timeout and read.

Demo:
What they shared with you:

The full arabic verse translated, Quran 2:191
And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-al-Haram (the sanctuary at Makkah), unless they (first) fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers. [Qur'an 2:191]

The verse before 2:191
Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you but do not transgress. Indeed. Allah does not like transgressors [Qur'an 2:190]

The verse after 2:191
And if they cease, then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. Fight them until there is no [more] fitnah and [until] worship is [acknowledged to be] for Allah . But if they cease, then there is to be no aggression except against the oppressors. [Fighting in] the sacred month is for [aggression committed in] the sacred month, and for [all] violations is legal retribution. So whoever has assaulted you, then assault him in the same way that he has assaulted you. And fear Allah and know that Allah is with those who fear Him. And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction [by refraining]. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good. . [Qur'an 2:192-195]

So they picked. Fine. Is it a full statement, No, not a full Arabic statement, but right from the middle , clip it left and right and waste life. Its from Quran 2:191. so the context has conditions, very clear conditions. As you can see clear directions and limits, even for the believers.

Moral for me is: Learn, or be deceived.​

Another
"Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly." [Qur'an 60:8]
"Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion - [forbids] that you make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers."[Qur'an 60:9]​

Thats the context. Go here http://quran.com/60/8-9. Spend some time. Want clarity? always ask, seek, put effort, gives better understanding.

Was this shared?
"Whoever kills another one without justifiable cause, surely he is killing all of humanity. And whoever saves the life of another one, surely he saves the lives of all of humanity". [Sura Al Ma'aidah: Ayah 32]
They could mock this too. But on saving a life, you will realize what this actually means.

i'm living at west right now , i have been subjected to a couple of questions ; sometimes i found it hard to answer so i really need your help with that

for example :

jazakom allah khair ,,,,

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Let's slow down a bit.

Before you can answer any questions about Islam you need to know Islam. You have to be 100% sure of your knowledge of the faith. I would defer the questions to one with knowledge.

Now, to the heart of the matter. You are confused. You are trying to place your personal doctrine in a box to fit your needs. Islam is a bit bigger than you and me.

We will be questioned about our faith. We are told that learning our faith is one of the basic elements of Islam. It is a journey. No, you do not get a diploma and you are through. It is a life-long quest.

It took almost a quarter of a century for the Glorious Quran to be revealed. Now, if it took that long for it to be revealed..common sense tells us that it will take almost twice as long for it to be understood. Something about getting serious with your faith around 40.

What is the biggest obstacle in your faith. Try to answer this and let's find how we can answer that. You need to be fortified with knowledge before you can dis-spell questions.

magood

Assalaam alaikum,

Let's slow down a bit.

Before you can answer any questions about Islam you need to know Islam. You have to be 100% sure of your knowledge of the faith. I would defer the questions to one with knowledge.

Now, to the heart of the matter. You are confused. You are trying to place your personal doctrine in a box to fit your needs. Islam is a bit bigger than you and me.

We will be questioned about our faith. We are told that learning our faith is one of the basic elements of Islam. It is a journey. No, you do not get a diploma and you are through. It is a life-long quest.

It took almost a quarter of a century for the Glorious Quran to be revealed. Now, if it took that long for it to be revealed..common sense tells us that it will take almost twice as long for it to be understood. Something about getting serious with your faith around 40.

What is the biggest obstacle in your faith. Try to answer this and let's find how we can answer that. You need to be fortified with knowledge before you can dis-spell questions.

Salaam sister ,,

thanks for ur reply ,, but i just wander why you made initial assumptions that i'm ignorant with my faith or that i'm confused about Islam ,,that's not right at all ,,, i'm

coming form Arab culture and i can understand Qur'an clearly , i studied prophet sun-nah as well ,,, but i didn't used that someone ask me some questions that is " out of

box " or that differs from what i had been raised upon it ,,, (( that's why i just wana know ur experience about that ))

so i'm always think if Islam is the truth it must have logical answers for any questions ....

i'm not that bad ,,, take it easy sister ... :)

magood

Assalaamualaikum brother..
I always believed that " Islam = Peace ".. When i started reading The Quran even i had such questions.. I pondered over it, thought that when the religion itself means Peace, then how come it goes against the base of the religion, it can't be contradictory.. So i went on to read the Life History Of Prophet(pbuh) and the Tafsir and then actually came to know the real reason behind why such a verse was revealed..

Logical Answer : -
Usually such verses were revealed to Prophet SAW when they were facing tortures from the Anti-islam ppl (Quraish & allies of Quraish).. They were being oppressed/tortured/teased/mocked etc. Lets take an example for better understanding - You believe in Islam but ppl around you are not letting you follow it, you are being tortured, u remain patient.. U are being mocked at, yet u remain patient.. you are not allowed to pray, yet you be patient.. Over a period of time, they keep doing the same thing, treating you bad, not allowing you to freely follow Islam.. Then wat do you do? Fight back? For how long an you keep quiet and be oppressed? Even you are entitled to life with freedom, entitled to follow what you want to, entitled to express yourself freely. But do rem,at that time there were no police/army and defense.. Only wars and battles used to decide.. These days we have laws(dunno how much effective they are, but still)..

But, only answer you can give to them is that they have to understand the Life History of Prophet(SAW), the circumstances, the situations in which the verses were revealed.. Else you can read the tafsir ( which a_stranger sister ) has provided the link for. :)

Regarding extremism - It is not allowed, i read in a hadith that Prophet(SAW) told us not to be extremist in the religion.. If possible i shall search and post the exact hadith. InshaAllah. :)

If am wrong, May Allah(SWT) forgive me.. And pls do correct me too..
Allah Knows the best..

thank u very much brother ,, that was really great ;-)

but you know sometimes it getting hard to deal with people that needs directly straight forward answers & at the same time match the logic

but i really appreciate what you sent ...

a_stranger

Assalamu alaikim

I think we muslems need to learn more about Islam , I myself used to read Quran but have no knowledge in Hadith , seera ( life of the prophet salla Allah alaihi wa sallam) , tafseer , fiqh , then I started reading and listening to leactures , AlhamduliAllah that gave me more faith and understanding. The picture became more clear. Every verse in Quran were revealed to make absolute justice, perfect societies. Quran is a true cure to illness of humanity. It starts with minds and hearts then wipes evils of societies......it rejects and stops oppression, cruelty , hate, selfishness, crimes of any kind. But Islam need to be practiced as it is as was revealed.

Idris16

Wa alaykum salam.

Nothing wrong with this ayah, it says... and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, so yeah, they began the war so let them face the consequences.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

I did not say you were ignorant. I stated you need knowledge. I specifically stated knowledge is not terminal.

As for the whole Arab culture thing..any culture takes away from Islam. We are warned not to pay attention to cultural biases.

You write that you have difficulty when a question differs from what you have been raised. Herein lies the confusion. You have to learn more about the faith. Many born Muslims have the same issues. It becomes an individual journey to learn the heart of Islam and get rid of what has been passed in tradition. Thus, the more you learn the easier it becomes to answer as you say out of the box questions.

You should not get defensive..but use this as an opportunity to learn more. It is a universe of knowledge. That's all.

magood

Assalaam alaikum,

I did not say you were ignorant. I stated you need knowledge. I specifically stated knowledge is not terminal.

As for the whole Arab culture thing..any culture takes away from Islam. We are warned not to pay attention to cultural biases.

You write that you have difficulty when a question differs from what you have been raised. Herein lies the confusion. You have to learn more about the faith. Many born Muslims have the same issues. It becomes an individual journey to learn the heart of Islam and get rid of what has been passed in tradition. Thus, the more you learn the easier it becomes to answer as you say out of the box questions.

You should not get defensive..but use this as an opportunity to learn more. It is a universe of knowledge. That's all.

salam sister ,
i think you are right , i have to spend sometimes to go in deep inside the relegion ', but for me it was hard i sudenly exposed to a new culture ' so they start to hit me badly ,

thanks for advice , sorry for being defensive a bit ,,,,

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
thank u very much brother ,, that was really great ;-)

but you know sometimes it getting hard to deal with people that needs directly straight forward answers & at the same time match the logic

but i really appreciate what you sent ...

Very true.. Everybody wants an easy answer. Nobody wants to think and ponder and go deep in the subject.. Well, Allah(SWT) in Quran says us to ponder over the signs, HE(SWT) wants us to use our mind, grease our rusted brains to understand the signs.. But nobody wants to take so much of pain, do we?? Firstly, thank them for asking questions about deen, because somebody is taking interest in knowing about Islam and also in the process of question and answer, it would be beneficial for both of you. :) To the max, you can make them understand patiently, but my brother.. In the end, Its Allah(SWT) who guides whom HE wills.. :)

And also one thing.. What reason i give, is limited to my knowledge.. I really don't think anybody would have an idea as to for what reason(true reason) the verses were revealed.. Only Allah(SWT) knows them.. May HE guide us all. Ameen. :)

strive-may-i

salam sister ,
i think you are right , i have to spend sometimes to go in deep inside the relegion ', but for me it was hard i sudenly exposed to a new culture ' so they start to hit me badly ,

thanks for advice , sorry for being defensive a bit ,,,,

Assalaamu Alaikum Brother,

We just covered the aspects around the verse. I think, there is something more to be covered. Hope this helps you.

Your Location says Sweden [rich in resources, very low population (hence peaceful but cold and stoic), and proud about their culture, has seen random racism incidents by the right-extremists on immigrants. Expectation on you "Integrate in Swedish culture"] and your religion Islam ( To adopt deeni Knowledge, be a good human, obey Allah). Both can coexist. From your thread opening post it appeared, you were unprepared for it. So you agree, you are treated as an outsider in a new place, and you were not prepared. And they might also be thinking now, you follow Islam They might have concluded, you dont know what you follow [Dont take it personally, it happens everyday around world]

Duties and Expectations
One should spend time understanding the new culture, and before that be firm about 'who you are'. When Knowledge powers a person, the actions become more meaningful. And knowledge is by examining, seeking, learning, questioning (especially the self first). We have to learn about the native culture, and we have to learn the deen , one for the survival in here and the other for our hereafter. Its our duty. No excuses will be accepted (by Sweden nor by the creator). Hence, 'from now on, no excuses', would be a good policy to embrace. Agreed? :)

Why did they approach with that verse?
They came to you with a verse, and made it seem like the Quran is full of only such verses. Even the verse they chose, they clipped it and tried to get you on wrong footing. They wanted to convey, why not change Quran, right?
The verse if you examine reads: '( "And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing" -- surat al baqarah. )'
Speaks about expelling when expelled. Like Brother Idris16 explicitly pointed out, nothing wrong with the Aayah. When stressed don't loose the ability to think, The answer was right there [bold part]. Some ask the questions genuinely and others don't. Treat both fairly.

Fruitful engagement
The point am coming to is, you have to spend time daily. Learning, knowing, understanding is a lifetime activity. Spreading the correct message and truth, justly both in words and actions, is our duty. Only after necessary hours are put in, One can do one's duty. And on earth we are all duty bound for ever. Its worthy activity to engage in. Adept at adapting, is natural to human, dont feel burdened.

May Allah help each of us to that end... Ameen

Se dig förr. Hejda :)