saying salaam when entering masjid

salam alaykum

should we say salam alaykum when entering or leaving the masjid?......cause like arent there angels standing there at the doorsteps guarding it??

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Do you mean even if the masjid is empty akhi? (in other words you're saying the salam to the angels "guarding" the masjid?)

:wasalam:

nizar83

aselemu aleikum,
a muslim must always enter the masjeed with his right foot saying aselemu aleikum wa rahmatulah,in addition a muslim can make these du3aa right after having said the earlier: alahuma sali 3la nabieyana mohammed salalahu wa3alayhi weselem and alahuma aftahli abwaaba rahmatiqa...dont forget to make use of these wonderfull du3aa!! they are sunnah

even when masjeed is empty we still say these du3aa ..

aselemu aleikum,
a muslim must always enter the masjeed with his right foot saying aselemu aleikum wa rahmatulah,in addition a muslim can make these du3aa right after having said the earlier: alahuma sali 3la nabieyana mohammed salalahu wa3alayhi weselem and alahuma aftahli abwaaba rahmatiqa...dont forget to make use of these wonderfull du3aa!! they are sunnah

even when masjeed is empty we still say these du3aa ..

mind like providing some proof......yeah and i was wondering if u could say salaam to the angels?....they do reply dont they?

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

nizar83

aselemu aleikum...inshallah i will provide proof,,been a bit busy...but to answer your question about the angels...they do record every thing you say...that should be enough

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
prophet :saw: told to say salaam when entering home even if nobodys there as angels are there.

but he :saw: did not tell this for entering masjid. so it will not be sunnah. we are only told to recite the Dua for entering and leaving masjid.

also some ulama say that we should avoid telling salaam to others as they are busy in salaat, Quran and zikr.

Allah knows best

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
should we say salam alaykum when entering or leaving the masjid?......cause like arent there angels standing there at the doorsteps guarding it??

i was wondering if u could say salaam to the angels?....they do reply dont they?

Above are the words of brother podolski11...they are specific to saying salam when entering/leaving *masjids* because *angels* may be there..

A *scholarly ruling* or *sahih resources* from Sharia on his *specific* inquiry would be *best* baraka Allaho feekom...as personal interpretations and non-related information will only cause confusion and swerve the thread off its original course wafaqakom Allah

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

The invocations for going to the mosque and entering the mosque are below.

http://www.islamawareness.net/Dua/Fortress/012.html
http://www.islamawareness.net/Dua/Fortress/013.html

In the footnote, they have mentioned the authenticity of the narrations from where they have gathered the information.

As for greeting the angels, I am not able to locate any specific ruling on it from islamqa.

However I do recollect watching 'Ask Huda', where Sheykh Muhammad Salah mentioned that greeting Salaamalaikum is greeting among people(humans). I am trying to locate that clip from youtube, I will post if I find it Insha'Allah tallah.

Hopefully someone else is able to provide some scholarly ruling on the matter Insha'Allah.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

It seems that I was partially wrong in what I have stated in this thread previously. I hope my earlier post can be edited and my *opinions* removed as they are not completely correct and be confusing (or if fellow members kindly ignore them).

Praise be to Allaah.

Saying salaam when entering the house is mustahabb, not obligatory, whether there is anyone in the house or not.

Abu Dawood (5096) narrated that Abu Maalik al-Ash’ari said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a man enters his house, let him say, ‘Allaahumma inni as’aluka khayr al-mawlaj wa khayr al-makhraj. Bismillaah walajna wa Bismillaah kharajna wa ‘ala Allaahi rabbina tawakalna (O Allaah, I ask You for the best entering and the best exiting. In the name of Allaah we enter and in the name of Allaah we leave, and in Allaah our Lord we put our trust),’ then he should say salaam to his family.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 225.

Al-Tirmidhi (2698) narrated that Anas ibn Maalik said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me, ‘O my son, when you enter upon your family and say salaam, it will be a blessing for you and the members of your household. Al-Albaani said in Takhreej al-Mishkaat (4652): this hadeeth is hasan when all its isnaads are taken into account.

These two hadeeth show that it is mustahabb for a man to greet his family with salaam when he enters his house.

With regard to it being mustahabb for a man to say salaam to himself when entering a house where there is no one, the scholars quoted evidence for that.

1 – The general meaning of the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“But when you enter the houses, greet one another with a greeting from Allaah (i.e. say: As-Salaamu ‘Alaykum — peace be on you), blessed and good”

[al-Noor 24:61]

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book al-Adhkaar (p. 49):

It is mustahabb to say Bismillaah (in the name of Allaah) and to remember Allaah a great deal, and to say salaam, whether there is any human being in the house or not, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“But when you enter the houses, greet one another with a greeting from Allaah (i.e. say: As-Salaamu ‘Alaykum — peace be on you), blessed and good”

Al-Haafiz said:

It comes under the general meaning of spreading salaam, and saying salaam to oneself when entering a place where there is no one, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“But when you enter the houses, greet one another with a greeting from Allaah (i.e. say: As-Salaamu ‘Alaykum — peace be on you)…”

Some mufassireen – such as Ibn Jareer – interpreted the aayah as meaning “greet one another” [as in the translation of the meaning quoted here]. This is like the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another)”

[al-Nisa’ 4:29]

Al-Qurtubi said: The more correct view is to say that this is general and applies to everyone who enters a house. If there is a Muslim person in the house he should say “Al-salaamu ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (peace be upon you, and the mercy of Allaah, and His blessings).” If there is no one there, he should say, “Al-salaamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ‘ibaad-Illaah il-saaliheen (peace be upon us and upon the righteous slaves of Allaah).” If there is someone in the house who is not a Muslim, he should say, “Al-salaam ‘ala man ittaba’a al-huda (peace be upon those who follow true guidance)” or “Al-salaamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ‘ibaad-Illaah il-saaliheen (peace be upon us and upon the righteous slaves of Allaah).”

2 – That is narrated from some of the Sahaabah.

Al-Bukhaari narrated in al-Adab al-Mufrad (1055) that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “When you enter an uninhabited house, say “Al-salaamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ‘ibaad-Illaah il-saaliheen (peace be upon us and upon the righteous slaves of Allaah).”

Al-Haafiz said: Its isnaad is hasan; and it was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Adab al-Mufrad, 806.

Mujaahid said: When you enter the mosque, say, “Al-salaam ‘ala Rasool-Illaah (Peace be upon the Messenger of Allaah),” and when you enter upon your family, greet them with salaam, and when you enter a house in which there is no one, say “Al-salaamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ‘ibaad-Illaah il-saaliheen (peace be upon us and upon the righteous slaves of Allaah).

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/306.

And Allaah knows best.

Link :- http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20818/

JazakAllahu Khayran..

abdul-aziz

It seems that I was partially wrong in what I have stated in this thread previously. I hope my earlier post can be edited and my *opinions* removed as they are not completely correct and be confusing (or if fellow members kindly ignore them).

Link :- http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20818/

JazakAllahu Khayran..

you were not in the sense that, it was what you knew at that time.

This can be very good for you. As things that you may see others doing doesn't mean you start doing them. That is how a lot of bid'ah gets started. So you stayed fast to what you learned from your sources to the Quran and Sunnah.

On the other token, when you notice something or something is brought to your attention, you should try to confirm. The simplest way is to ask a sheik in the masjid. The hard part would be to go online. In fact going online sometimes can create problems. but discussions such that take place in a forum such as this, can direct you and all of us to more understanding so that we can ask a knowledgeable sheik (with the exception of those discussions by well known scholars, but you have to be careful because scholars students are not always accurate; they are the ones that write information)

Having said that, it is always good to sit back and give some thought and dedication in confirming with certain issues be it little matter or large.

wa Allah ya'lam

we all make mention to things now and then; later to find them needing correction. so we move on, mention the correction or clarification, and ask Allah for forgiveness.

daywalker

salam alaykum

in imam bukhari(rh) adab al mufrad:

978. Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah created Adam, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and his height was 60 spans. He said, 'Go and greet those (a group of angels who were sitting down) and listen to how they answer you. It is your greeting and the greeting of your descendants.' He said, 'Peace be upon you,' and they replied, 'Peace be upon you and the mercy of Allah.' They added, 'and the mercy of Allah'. All who enter the Garden will have his form, but creation has continued to decline until now.'"

1037. Mu'awiya ibn Qurra said that his father said to him, "My son, when a man passes by you and says, 'Peace be upon you (plural).' Do not say, 'And on you (singular)' as if you were singling out that greeting out for him alone. Rather say, 'Peace be upon you (plural , because 2 angels are also there).'"

from above both narration its clear that saying people should also say salam towards malaikah by using the "plural" form of "alaikum" instead "alaik".
Masjid is a place where most malaikah´s are there, so how nice it is to get the reply of salam from malaikah!

1038. 'Abdullah ibn as-Samit said, "I said to Abu Dharr, 'I passed by 'Abdu'r-Rahman ibn Umm al-Hakam and I greeted him and he did not answer me at all. He said, 'Nephew, what harm have suffered from that? Someone better than him answered you ? the angel on his right."

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The question is still relevant. Trust me there have been questions asked a thousand years ago and they are still relevant and will be asked a thousand years from now.