School & music

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salaam alaikum all,

Living in the UK I have to put up with having dance lessons at school as an obligation. There is no choice to it up to year 9 which alhamdulillah I'm nearly in year 10 so not far from it,

My teacher has given the whole class a project which we have 4 weeks to finish, and we all know these lessons are only fillers because there is nothing left to do in school within these last 4 weeks (since we have 7 weeks off after the 4 weeks, and then off to year 10).

Since these lessons are pointless and the main project is to create a video about music, surely I'm getting gunat for it and it's all because of this stupid school which doesn't even give you a choice on whether you want to dance sing or draw faces.

How do I avoid having to do this project?
I have the dance lesson every Monday but I'm not planning to skip every Monday - my parents won't let me and of course I don't want to miss my main subjects - English etc.

What do I do?

jazakAllah khairan

Wannabemuslim

al salam . This year i was at disagreement with my choir teacher (im forced to attend), actually i made a post asking for help a little while ago. My school makes us sing lady gagas "bad romance":astag:,extremely haram, when i got the music and saw the lyrics i ripped it into shreds and refused to sing it. I shared my opinions with some of my class mates. Most where thrilled with the song, but i got my message to a few of them who wont sing it either. Yah but i need help with the same issue for next year when school gets back in session, what can i do about teachers making me do haram things?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
salam alikom,
if you're a student in the UK, teachers seem to be very ''understanding'' when you get your parents to write a note. If they wont write you one, just forge it. I loved being in the years between 8-11. You can easily appear as the angel in the class, and be the opposite outside of it. If you can manage to get your teachers to like you, then you can do anything and get away with it. I'm in year 12 atm

xAllahKnowsBestx

Walaikum assalam. :hijabi:

Awwh sis, I hope I could help but this is all mandatory right? I had to do it when I was in middle school (but then I didn't care astagfirullah). How about getting your parents to talk to the principal or teacher? It might help, cuz I think it's ridiculous to make music & art mandatory for everyone. :(

auroran

:salam2:

Wear a jilbaab (or a long skirt) and then tell them that's the only thing you're allowed to wear. If they threaten you (e.g. you will get a bad mark) just keep on wearing it lol I probably have an R on my Gym mark because my teacher can't see I'm not gonna wear pants and T-shirt.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

As it is a video why not be creative. Why not make a video of the sounds of the winds or rushing water. If you feel you can not use music use sounds that are mellifluous, sounding sweet to the ear. You will fulfill the requirements without compromising your faith.

Some of the responses were typical of teenagers and not very Islamic!

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam alaikum

JazakAllah khairan everyone.

@Osman salaam alaikum,that trick may work actually lool get on the good side.
@AllahKnowsBest , salam alaikum sistaaa! aw I wish, but "no way" would be their response.
@auroran salaam alaikum! we're not allowed to wear jilbab at school (ugh I know)
@Aapa salaam alaikum. mashaAllah clever idea!

Idris16

I had like five dance lessons during PE and didnt go once. The teacher didnt care, i've told him i never had a better teacher than him when it came to PE. He never asks people why they dont come etc..

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
I've decided to go along with it. Only this time inshaAllah. I have two friends in my group for the project and I can't just let them down like that.

I basically have to create a video of bollywood and belly dancing... So ya.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
OBLIGATORY MUSIC CLASSES ARE SO STUPID!

have you talked to anyone about this being against your religion?
In American Public Schools you can say anything is against your religion and they wont fight it. They cant afford lawsuits backed by the American rights groups :)

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I've decided to go along with it. Only this time inshaAllah. I have two friends in my group for the project and I can't just let them down like that.

I basically have to create a video of bollywood and belly dancing... So ya.

Oh! A group project :) Explain to them how this is against your religion and let them do the bad parts :) But be sure to do your part too. InshaAllah this will go well for you. Masha Allah for not compromising your religion :)

auroran

I think sister Aapa's advice is best but maybe you should do it live. My advice is to be followed if you don't care about music or dance. You may put in loads of visual effects (like in Movie Maker you can set it to 'Film Oldest) and stand in the corner of the video tape where you can barely be seen. If you want to do it live, do limited movements (wave arms as if you are waiting, bounce on your knees) and stand behind some group members.