Sha'ban; an overlooked month

Deen_Al_Islaam

:salam2:

The first question of Fatwa no. 2608
Q 1: There are days on which we voluntarily observe Sawm (Fasting) in Rajab. Should these days be in the beginning, middle, or end of the month?
A: No specific Hadiths were authentically reported about the merit of Sawm in Rajab, except that which was related by Al-Nasa’y and Abu Dawud, and ranked as Sahih (authentic) by Ibn Khuzaymah, on the authority of Usamah who said: I asked, ‘O Messenger of Allah! I have not seen you fast in a month as much as you fast in Sha‘ban.’ He (peace be upon him) said, ‘This is a month between Rajab and Ramadan which people overlook. It is a month in which deeds are raised to the Lord of the Worlds, and I love that my deeds be raised while I am fasting.’ General Hadiths were mentioned about encouraging Sawm for three days of every month; Sawm on the White Days
(Part No. 2; Page No. 509)

which are the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every Hijri (lunar) month; Sawm in the Sacred Months; and Sawn every Monday and Thursday. The same applies to the month of Rajab. If you are keen on choosing some days to fast, you can fast on the White Days, or on Mondays and Thursdays. Otherwise, the matter is open for choice to fast at any other time. As for dedicating certain days in Rajab to Sawm, we do not know of any basis for it in Shari‘ah (Islamic law).
May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta’

Member Member Deputy Chairman Chairman
`Abdullah ibn Qa`ud `Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan `Abdul-Razzaq `Afify `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

Source: Fatwas of Permanent Committee​