• All of them are Good

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don't Care

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

Salem9022

*Note*- I Would Prefer Opinions of South Asians(India,Pakistani, Bangladesh, Afghanistan)

Now we all know that muslims have their own culture and traditions which differs from country to country. For Instance Turkish Culture is Different from Pakistani Culture which is Different from Indonesian Culture which is Different from Amazigh Culture which is Different from Arabic Cuture.

Recently though I've been seeing Many South Asians Mainly Pakistanis in my Masjid Swithing their culture and dresses from Salwar Kameezes to Abayas/Thobs(Depending If your Male or Female) and Dressing more Arabic rather then their own Traditional Dress. They believe that the Arabic Culture is more Closer to the Original Islam(Which I agree) and because of that the Arabic Dress for Male and Female is more suitable in Islam then their Own which is the Sharwaar Kameez.

Now I would want your Opinion, Which One would you Prefer to Wear if you were to go in a Masjid? And which one you think is more suitable to be worn in regards to Islamic Morality? Or Does it even Matter? I would Like to Know espeically those South Asians who Live in America, UK, Europe. Since you don't live in South Asia anymore, would you make the switch to more Traditional Islamic(Arabic) Dress or Keep your own culture and dress and keep the Shalwar Kameez?

Note: I don't wear either one, I just wear regular Pants and shirts, I haven't Worn Shalwaar Kameez since I was 5 years old. But I would like your Take on this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shalwar Kameez: (Men)
Mens_Maroon_salwar_kameez_f.jpg

Shalwar Kameez: (Female)
salwar-kameez-6841.250131516_std.jpg

15.jpg

10.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thobe: (Men)
sa-thb-01_prod.jpg

thobe.jpg

Abaya: (Female)
SA-abaya-77_prod.jpg

abaya_a94_side2.GIF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

mhamzah

salam alakum

:salam2:

Any dress that fulfills the criterias for Islamic dress code, is good enough. So for example, shalwer kameez which is transparent enough to reveal body parts is unislamic. As long as following 6 criterias are met, its good enough.

1. Covering of the body (Men; Navel to knees, women: All parts of the body expect face and the hands).

2. No transparent enough to reveal the parts of the body.

3. No Tight enough to reveal the figure.

4. Should not resemble clothes of the non-believers.

5. Should not resemble that of opposite gender.

6. I forgot the sixth, maybe someone can remind me Inshallah.

And Allah knows best!

:wasalam:

Kakorot

i'm half bengali, born and brought up in UK so I hope my opinions count.

well, because i'm half bengali when i was younger i used to sometimes wear shalwar kameez outside etc. but as i grew i kinda stopped wearing them outside. then when i was 14 i starting practising Islam and i wear full hijab now - niqaab/abayah.
i don't think its suitable for a women to wear kameez outside in the first place. its best if every muslim woman wears burka/abaya/jilbab when they go out, even if its in the garden or balcony :SMILY149:

as for thobe, i think it suits evey muslim man :SMILY126:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i'm not sure if you're talking about which are better looking or which are better islamically. islamically they're both good if they fullfil the requirements of islamic dress code. as far as looks go, i think the salwar kameez is sharp!!!

daywalker

:salam2: The shalwar kameez for man is kinda modern and same thing is worn by hindus too. i would prefer the ONE coloured shalwar like full white (imam of mosques wear). and abaya is great. salwar kameez for woman dont fullfill the condition of hijab.

Salem9022

islamically of course. Like I said in the previous Post :

"Recently though I've been seeing Many South Asians Mainly Pakistanis in my Masjid Swithing their culture and dresses from Salwar Kameezes to Abayas/Thobs(Depending If your Male or Female) and Dressing more Arabic rather then their own Traditional Dress. They believe that the Arabic Culture is more Closer to the Original Islam(Which I agree) and because of that the Arabic Dress for Male and Female is more suitable in Islam then their Own which is the Sharwaar Kameez. "

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

Honestly, masha'Allah, I think my husband is very sexy in his crispy, white dishdasha with ghatra (white thobe with the white headcovering)!

:)

Salem9022

We are talking purely Islamic here, I don't want to know which was one is more "sxier" or more fashionable etc. I just want to know which ones are more more Islamically Appropriate.

al-Khansaa

وَاتَّقُواْ اللَّهَ

I am Kashmiri, living in the U.K.

I choose to wear the jilbaab as opposed to the traditional shalwaar kameez because I find the shalwaar kameez as unsuitable.

Certainly the photos you have posted are insufficient and cannot be worn infront of non mahrams.

These days the types of traditional dress we are seeing is shocking. Women have begun wearing their shalwaars short so their ankles show. Short arms or sleeveless tops are worn, revealing the awrah. The chest is revealed. :hawla:

It may be traditional but who says it's Islaamic?

What's the difference between skinny jeans and the trousers you have posted? Both stick to the legs.

The jilbaab is mentioned in surah al-Ahzaab, verse 59:

يأَيُّهَا النَّبِىُّ قُل لاًّزْوَجِكَ وَبَنَـتِكَ وَنِسَآءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَـبِيبِهِنَّ ذلِكَ أَدْنَى أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلاَ يُؤْذَيْنَ

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their Jalabib over their bodies. That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed."

Ditch the traditional, cultural dress if it isn't in accordance to the shari'ah. After all, we are Muslims.

Wassalaam

al-Khansaa

وَاتَّقُواْ اللَّهَ
Assalam aliekum

Honestly, masha'Allah, I think my husband is very sexy in his crispy, white dishdasha with ghatra (white thobe with the white headcovering)!

:)

Wa 'alaykumussalaam wa rahmatullaah,

My sister, perhaps you ought to edit your post? This is something you should keep to yourself.

Wassalaam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

I am Kashmiri, living in the U.K.

I choose to wear the jilbaab as opposed to the traditional shalwaar kameez because I find the shalwaar kameez as unsuitable.

Certainly the photos you have posted are insufficient and cannot be worn infront of non mahrams.

These days the types of traditional dress we are seeing is shocking. Women have begun wearing their shalwaars short so their ankles show. Short arms or sleeveless tops are worn, revealing the awrah. The chest is revealed. :hawla:

It may be traditional but who says it's Islaamic?

What's the difference between skinny jeans and the trousers you have posted? Both stick to the legs.

The jilbaab is mentioned in surah al-Ahzaab, verse 59:

يأَيُّهَا النَّبِىُّ قُل لاًّزْوَجِكَ وَبَنَـتِكَ وَنِسَآءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَـبِيبِهِنَّ ذلِكَ أَدْنَى أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلاَ يُؤْذَيْنَ

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their Jalabib over their bodies. That will be better that they should be known so as not to be annoyed."

Ditch the traditional, cultural dress if it isn't in accordance to the shari'ah. After all, we are Muslims.

Wassalaam

I wouldnt have been able to say that better or more clearly, JazakiAllaah Khayr dear sis.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge

Well, there's no point in hiding it from you, so yeah, my parents are Bangladeshi, and I was born and raised here, but personally I don't associate myself with that Bangali culture (and trust me brothers and sisters, to be honest, I hate about EVERY bad thing in everyone's culture, and YES! That includes Afghani culture that includes guys playing a broken guitar); and so I don't like that men's Shelwar Kameez because it's too "coloful and rich."

I don't think that Muslim brothers need to wear an Arab thobe out of feeling that it has anything to do with being closer to Islam, because all of us Muslims are from differant cultures, and to tell you the truth, even non Islamic Arab men wear the thobe that you showed.

Salem said:
We are talking purely Islamic here, I don't want to know which was one is more "sxier" or more fashionable etc. I just want to know which ones are more more Islamically Appropriate.

C'mon Salem, the sister's just telling her opinion; no need to sound harsh about it. And besides, there's nothing wrong in her stating her opinion about what clothes look nice.

End Qoute (for that part).

And so anyway (Hahaha! You ALL know what I'm going to say next! :)) personally, I rather prefer wearing those simpler kind of clothes that those Afghanistani and Northern Pakistani brothers wear, you know? The ones that have collars, cuffs, and are wheat colored? Not to mention going to your knees, and also it comes with baggy pants (that, I suggest that you should get them cut :D), which I really feel comfortable in, because not only does it look (wicked) nice, but it's simple, and also it's extremely loose, which is the best kind of Islamic clothes ever. :) And LoL, it looks really nice on those Afghanistani and Northern Pakistani brothers (that have beards and follow Islam, and one example is my uncle, who's from Karachi LoL). :)

Salem9022

make sure you make 2 choices both for the Mens and Womens

if both or neither are good or dont care then click only those choices

Abdul Hasib those dress from Afghanistan and Northern Pakistan where the Pashtuns live is called "Shalwaar Kameez" its the same thing but they wear it with dark colors because of the cold wheather there and they cover themselves with blankets and it doesn't matter, even non-muslims wear that dress like the Buddhists in Afghanistan.

you didnt give me your opinion on the Shalwaar Kameez for them women

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Of course Jilbabs and Saudi Abayas are the best covering ,the most modest and etc... but please tell me how am I going to afford it in the west ,they are extremely expensive ..
I think any clothes that meets with the requirements of Shariah can be called Islamic ,not just Saudi clothes ..Islam is for all nations ,for all people .We dont have to just copy Saudis to look Islamic ..
Long skirts ,long shirts ,etc .... Whatever meet the requirements of Islamic clothing ,can be called Islamic ...
By the way there are Salwar Kameez that are loooooooooong enough ,with long sleeves and long shirt ,and dupatta ,large scarf ..
What you posted is just variation of salwar Kameez .You could find much better pictures then those ..
And about the Thobe for men ,and that red and white covering on their heads ,what Saudis wear ..
Did the Prophet ,peace be upon him wear that ? Or did the Sahaba wear that?

And did the Prophet ,peace be upon him said to wear only black for Women and white for men ?
I find it unfair that Saudi men wear only white and women have to wear only black in that crazy hit ....
Is that Sunnah ?

waaleikum salam

daywalker

By the way there are Salwar Kameez that are loooooooooong enough ,with long sleeves and long shirt ,and dupatta ,large scarf ..
What you posted is just variation of salwar Kameez .You could find much better pictures then those ..
:salam2: yeah like the cute baby worn in your avatar picture.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
yes exactly brother Daywalker
And here is the actual picture of the Islamic looking salwar brother Salem , and not that which you posted ...And please don't tell me there is something wrong with it.Its not my style anyway, but If I see anyone wering it ,I have no problem with it ...

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

detail.jpg

waaleikum salam

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Salem9022 said:
Abdul Hasib those dress from Afghanistan and Northern Pakistan where the Pashtuns live is called "Shalwaar Kameez" its the same thing but they wear it with dark colors because of the cold wheather there and they cover themselves with blankets and it doesn't matter, even non-muslims wear that dress like the Buddhists in Afghanistan.

you didnt give me your opinion on the Shalwaar Kameez for them women

Well if you want my honest opinion, then I think that all of those (women) clothes looks stupid except for the Abaya and the Jilbab (now THAT is what looks good :)). And the reason why I'm saying that is because the main purpose of those clothes is to show off and for those Pakistani and Bangali girls to show off that "Oh I'm the hottest thing on the planet," which is the case when I was look for those Afghanistani/Northern Pakistani clothes, in which it showed a lot of "white" Bangali and Pakistani girls, which to me, is utterly disgusting and stupid. :mad:

But the Jilbab is what I like the most, because it's the kind of clothes that our Beautiful Mothers (our mothers of Islam) wore, and which to me, is beautiful, and if Allah Ta Alla wills, it will be the BEST of the clothes in Jannah, something that NO OTHER women will be able to wear in Jannah except for our Muslim sisters, who kept their duty to their Lord.

Salem9022

AishaAnastacia, I don't have a problem with Shalwaar Kameez, I dont wear neither the Shalwaar Kameez nor the Thobe, I made this thread because many South Asian Muslims Especially in America and UK are ditching their traditional Shalwaar Kameez for the Thobe and the Abaya, and I wanted to know which one would they prefer and which one is more Islamic to them.

Also the Shalwaar Kameez you posted is not the general ones which are sold. I know cause I live with 2 women(my Mother and Sister) who wear it and they don't wear those ones which you posted but rather the ones which look close to the ones in pics which I posted. But regardless Its not my take it on it cause I don't wear it, but just wanted opinions of south asians muslims of what they think of it.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
AishaAnastacia, I don't have a problem with Shalwaar Kameez, I dont wear neither the Shalwaar Kameez nor the Thobe, I made this thread because many South Asian Muslims Especially in America and UK are ditching their traditional Shalwaar Kameez for the Thobe and the Abaya, and I wanted to know which one would they prefer and which one is more Islamic to them.

Also the Shalwaar Kameez you posted is not the general ones which are sold. I know cause I live with 2 women(my Mother and Sister) who wear it and they don't wear those ones which you posted but rather the ones which look close to the ones in pics which I posted. But regardless Its not my take it on it cause I don't wear it, but just wanted opinions of south asians muslims of what they think of it.

salam aleikum
The ones I posted are from http://alhannah.com/salwar.html
May be you can suggest for them ...

waaleikum salam

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslamu u Alaikum wr wb,

I am originally from Pakistan. I spent 24 years of my life there wearing shalwar Qameez Alhamdolillah. Dress posted in the first post do not represent our routine life dresses at all. I wore this kind of dress just once in 24 years that was wedding of my sister. These are "Really Heavy Dresses" worn on functions. We have got huge huge variety of styles, colors, prints, and fabric in Shalwar Qamiz. 95% of ladies buy un-stiched fabric (7 and half meters at least) from the market and stich them by themselves or get them stiched accrding to their own taste, beliefs, and personality. So it is very much upto the type of the person to make that dress Islamic or Unislamic. If we use 2 & 1/2 meter doppatta/shawl for what it is meant to be used, then it really gives you a peace of mind and sense of protection. (Though many ladies think that it is something to be put around their neck or on shoulders) This is the only dress, we Pakistani ladies have i.e, work dress, wedding dress, sleeping dress, masjid dress, market dress etc etc. So we get that shaped according to the event.

When I came to Australia, it was pretty amazing for me that in Masjids or musallahs, they have got extra abayas, scaves etc so that women can wear them before pray. I saw women wearing them before pray and then taking them off before leaving the masjid/pray room. In my opinion if you are outside of house then your normal dress should be of that kind in which you can offer your pray.

I think I should post photos of my Shalwar Qamiz :) I just love them. And if someone ask me what is most beloved to you. I would say "My EEMAN and my DOPATTA"

Wa Alaikum Salam,