Shia beliefs on proving adultery?

kayleigh

I was watching The Stoning of Soraya M and at one point this guy says that if a man accuses his wife of adultery, she must prove her innocence, but if a woman accuses her husband then she must prove his guilt as well. It's totally backwards and I know that isn't in shariah law, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it has a basis in Shia beliefs or Persian custom/tradition, or if it was just Hollywood trying to be incredibly overt about getting their point across.

By the way, it was a good movie but I do NOT recommend it as it is incredibly disturbing, graphic, heart-breaking, infuriating, etc.

Please don't post about how evil Shias are or anything unrelated. I thought I'd ask since there are some Shias on here, or at least someone who knows enough about it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I dug this up:http://www.learningpartnership.org/resources/legislation/nationallaw/iran

It is long but explains what the specifics are.

PS.. I can not believe the timing. The author, who was the son of an Irani ambassador living in France, goes back to a remote Irani village and just finds this story. And I could not find any documentation that this is the truth. The author is dead. And the movie is hitting the big screen as America has made yet more sanctions against Iran as Israel watches. More reasons to attack those ugly brown men.

If there is evidence that this was a fact..please let me know.

kayleigh

Thanks for the link. I know the movie says it's based on a true story, but I didn't really think about that when I watched it. Even as fiction, I think it raises some interesting points and, honestly, I didn't see the movie as being anti-Islam.

and alf - its on Netflix instant play, but also on DVD. It came out last year.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In Bukhari..there is the narration of the young woman who fornicates. She is with child. She comes to the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, he tells her to wait until she delivers..she comes back over and over again. She keeps asking for punishment. The Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, reminds her that she is forgiven. She returns when the child is over two years of age. She asks for her punishment. She is stoned to death.

I read that the lesson we need to learn from this hadith is this: When we ask for Allah's forgiveness..we need to understand that He grants it. Therefore, she was stoned to death not because she fornicated..but she could not accept the forgiveness from the Owner of Forgivness, Al-Ghaffar. This has stuck with me throughout the years.

I read a few reviews of the moive. It seems the moive is very graphic. I will not view it.

kayleigh

It's very graphic, so I don't recommend it. Unless you skip over the actual stoning.

The link was interesting - there were a few odd things in there - but nothing about what I'm asking about. But, if all this were true, the entire thing was carried out in a little village - not in the courts. So I was wondering if it were a common belief in Iran or not.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I do not have any statistics. I do not know. It makes little sense. I cannot venture into speculation.

ipanda

I have seen the movie, nothing against Islam. There is a chance that the movie could be based on true story cos i have read that it is common in Iran sometime ago. By the way, does it have anything to do with Shia? I don't think so but please teach me something.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
I have seen the movie, nothing against Islam. There is a chance that the movie could be based on true story cos i have read that it is common in Iran sometime ago. By the way, does it have anything to do with Shia? I don't think so but please teach me something.

hi!!

shias are nothing you have to be worried about or what they do or how they do???unless there is something wrong and you need correction:).

i'm just saying this coz a lot of crazy stuff and hatred is caused on both sides,mostly based on misunderstandings.i came to know some shias on this forum and xcept for some things they do everything our way.and it was embarrassing that ppl were judging them when they totally rejected doing what shias are accused of!!there are good nd bad everywhere.so i believe we cannot simply say shias this and shias that and create distances.judging is for ALLAH,we'd better let HIM do his job WITHOUT our own specail theories:)!!so you'll end up being confused.if you want ot kno islam simply study the Quran and sunnah inshallah:)not what came after that.that's a lot of mess,really!!

and i'm also saying this because the moment you say teach me about shias or whatever.some will jump to the apportunity so you'd think you are studying animals not humans(not to mentions muslims:))

i'm not shia btw............thought i'd say this before ppl jump conclusion:)

kayleigh

People in Iran are predominantly Shia.