Shirk in Islam?

kayleigh

:salam2:

I always put that in the back of my mind, assuming I'm not understanding something (which I'm probably not), but the "Beware of Harun Yahya" thread brought this up. In the thread I stated that I perceived there to be some things in Islam that come close to idolatry in every day practice, although just "shirk" would be a better word I think since there's nothing to do with idols.

I understand that the reason Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned more over other prophets is because he was the one to reveal the Qur'an and was the last messenger. And I'm not questioning why he should be respected, remembered, or followed, but it bothers me that he has a place in prayers when none of the other prophets do by name. To me, it seems like its getting very close to how Catholics pray to Mary instead of just to God alone.

I'm not questioning why the hadith are important guidelines for us and should be read and preserved so we can see how Muhammad (pbuh) lived and how, historically, people lived, but many Muslims put it on the same level as the Qur'an. Are they supposed to be on the same level? I know God tells us to listen to what the prophets say, but wouldn't that mean you should listen to what they're revealing (in this case, the Qur'an) and then use them as an example? It just doesn't seem right to me that the hadith are given just as much standing and importance as the Qur'an is. Yes, Muhammad (pbuh) was a prophet and was protected and guided by God, but that doesn't mean that in the end he was ultimately human and did make some mistakes. Why should a human - even if a prophet - have as much say as God? To me, it just seems like God and his word should naturally be above all others. If the Qur'an is a perfect book, and complete, then why do we still need even more guidelines?

Like I said, hopefully there's just been something lost in translation and I'm missing out on a key point here that would make this look better.

:wasalam:

seema2005

Shirk in Islam.

I always put that in the back of my mind, assuming I'm not understanding something (which I'm probably not), but the "Beware of Harun Yahya" thread brought this up. In the thread I stated that I perceived there to be some things in Islam that come close to idolatry in every day practice, although just "shirk" would be a better word I think since there's nothing to do with idols.

I understand that the reason Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned more over other prophets is because he was the one to reveal the Qur'an and was the last messenger. And I'm not questioning why he should be respected, remembered, or followed, but it bothers me that he has a place in prayers when none of the other prophets do by name. To me, it seems like its getting very close to how Catholics pray to Mary instead of just to God alone.

I'm not questioning why the hadith are important guidelines for us and should be read and preserved so we can see how Muhammad (pbuh) lived and how, historically, people lived, but many Muslims put it on the same level as the Qur'an. Are they supposed to be on the same level? I know God tells us to listen to what the prophets say, but wouldn't that mean you should listen to what they're revealing (in this case, the Qur'an) and then use them as an example? It just doesn't seem right to me that the hadith are given just as much standing and importance as the Qur'an is. Yes, Muhammad (pbuh) was a prophet and was protected and guided by God, but that doesn't mean that in the end he was ultimately human and did make some mistakes. Why should a human - even if a prophet - have as much say as God? To me, it just seems like God and his word should naturally be above all others. If the Qur'an is a perfect book, and complete, then why do we still need even more guidelines?

Like I said, hopefully there's just been something lost in translation and I'm missing out on a key point here that would make this look better.

Assalam O Alaikum,

I am not sure if you ever read about Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) and his life. He never told us (being his ummah) to worship him. When he died, unto his last breath he was asking what about his ummah? When he died he stated, Now I completed your religion, and I leave behind Quran and hadith. We are not worshipping him. We are taking him as example and trying to live our life that way he did by worshipping, and remembering only Allah. Allah hates who does the shirk. We are not doing shirk by following him. As a example Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) was forgiving. We are taking this example and trying to forgive people who done bad to us. Because Allah will do justice for us. Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) never hurt anyone. We are taking him as example. Even being prophet he had to go to all the hardship. We are taking him as example, and be patience in hardship. Allah knows knows the best. So sister we are not worshipping Prophet Muhammad(PBUH). If you read about Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) his life, you would've never asked question.
We never ask question about non-islamic things, we never ask for the facts. But when it comes to Islam we want to know facts. Why is that? If you read Quran and you know about PROPHET MUHAMMED(PBUH) about his life, this question would have never came up in your mind.

I am not sure if I said anything something that is not in Quarn or hadith, May Allah forgive me.

I am sorry If I offened you any Muslim brother and sister. May Allah forgive me.

Ummzaina

Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 427
Narrated 'Aisha and 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:

"When the last moment of the life of Allah's Apostle came he started putting his 'Khamisa' on his face and when he felt hot and short of breath he took it off his face and said, "May Allah curse the Jews and Christians for they built the places of worship at the graves of their Prophets." The Prophet was warning (Muslims) of what those had done."

If Muhammad (SAW) forbade us from turning his grave into a place of worship would he like it if we prayed to him along with Allah:astag: ?

Sister Kayleigh,

I would like you to remember that the Quran is "Kalam Allah", the word of Allah and it cannot be interpreted as we wish, and each one of us cannot be enlightened with a visit from Jibrail alaihisalaam.Hence Allah (SWA) provided the perfect guide (Muhammad SAW) along with the book of guidance (Quran) in order that we may follow the practicals of Islam as Allah (SWA) wanted us to.
And Allah knows best the way we humans are arguing over every trivial matter and by providng the best practical guide for what a muslim should be Allah (SWA) has given us humans no excuse not to follow the Deen of Islam as it should be!!ALLAH AKBAR

Also remember that all other prophets were for their time and for their nations but Muhammad (SAW) was sent for all human/jinn until the world ends.So if Muhammad (SAW) is remembered more in every prayer then it is as Allah wills and we cannot change the Quran or the Sunnah as we wish.

If you wish to be a believer in Allah then keep in mind that you cannot divide the religion into what you wish to have or what you wish to leave.You have to take the whole of it or nothing at all as Islam is not complete without Muhammad (SAW) or the Quran.

kayleigh

As I said before, I am not questioning that the Qur'an is perfect. Like I said, I am not calling into question whether or not Muhammad (pbuh) should be remembered and respected for his actions. What I am observing may not be a problem with actual Islam, but in how people practice it. And maybe its not a problem at all.

I know that when people raise questions on hadith or Qur'an or just Islam in general, the attitude of many on this board and many Muslims in general is to get angry and defensive and bring into question the faith of the one asking the question instead of listening and trying to give answers, or simply saying "I don't know". So I ask that you please stop jumping to conclusions and try to answer my questions, if you can, instead of accusing me of imaginary things that I have never said or questioned in the first place.

If you can't do anything but get offended and "scream" things that I have already stated and am not questioning, then please don't bother.

If you don't understand the questions in the original context of my post, I'll simply them and restate them again:

1. Why is Muhammad (pbuh) mentioned in prayers by name when no other prophet is?
2. Why are the hadith, by a mortal (even though he was a prophet) and NOT God, given equal weight to words from God?

If I didn't care or didn't want to have stronger faith, then I wouldn't have bothered asking.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member

assalamu aleikum
sorry sister for saying that,but I just find both of your posts agressive...
Don't need to accuse others in that...
wasalam

seema2005

sister, I am not being defensive, or angry. I tried to answer within the limits of Islam. However you are being defensive and angry. again I am not going to say anything. I am going to take your insult as Prophet Muhmmad(PBUH) said if you can't say good words, don't speak at all. ASSALAM O ALAIKUM, PEACE BE UPON YOU. May Allah help you see the light, and take from darkness.

(I know that when people raise questions on hadith or Qur'an or just Islam in general, the attitude of many on this board and many Muslims in general is to get angry and defensive and bring into question the faith of the one asking the question instead of listening and trying to give answers, or simply saying "I don't know". So I ask that you please stop jumping to conclusions and try to answer my questions, if you can, instead of accusing me of imaginary things that I have never said or questioned in the first place.

If you can't do anything but get offended and "scream" things that I have already stated and am not questioning, then please don't bother.)

Ummzaina

As I said before, I am not questioning that the Qur'an is perfect. Like I said, I am not calling into question whether or not Muhammad (pbuh) should be remembered and respected for his actions. What I am observing may not be a problem with actual Islam, but in how people practice it. And maybe its not a problem at all.

I know that when people raise questions on hadith or Qur'an or just Islam in general, the attitude of many on this board and many Muslims in general is to get angry and defensive and bring into question the faith of the one asking the question instead of listening and trying to give answers, or simply saying "I don't know". So I ask that you please stop jumping to conclusions and try to answer my questions, if you can, instead of accusing me of imaginary things that I have never said or questioned in the first place.

If you can't do anything but get offended and "scream" things that I have already stated and am not questioning, then please don't bother.

If you don't understand the questions in the original context of my post, I'll simply them and restate them again:

1. Why is Muhammad (pbuh) mentioned in prayers by name when no other prophet is?
2. Why are the hadith, by a mortal (even though he was a prophet) and NOT God, given equal weight to words from God?

If I didn't care or didn't want to have stronger faith, then I wouldn't have bothered asking.

Dont be offended by the answers, many of us are used to defending Islam to everybody it just becomes second nature to us.

My answer to your question is simple..

":shahadah:

if our declaration of faith in Allah as a muslim includes our belief that Muhammad (SAW) is the messenger of Allah then all our actions to please Allah must be done as Muhammad (SAW) showed us and how do we know how it was done?Through Hadith.

As I tried to tell you before, all other prophets were sent for their time and their books were preserved for that time only, Muhammad (SAW) is the last and final messenger to complete Allahs favour upon mankind/jinn and Muhammad (SAW) is special as the revelation given to him "Quran" will be preserved until the end of time.

If you had a new technical device installed and you read the manuel of it and did not understand what it was about would you ask your mother to tell you the mechanism?No obviously not, you would call the mechanic of the company who made the equipment.
In the same way Quran is the manual and Muhammad (SAW) the guide on how best to follow the manuel.

"And whatever the Messenger gives you, take it, and whatever he forbids you, leave it. And fear Allah: truly Allah is severe in punishment. " [Qur'an 59:7]

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Dear Respected Sister in Islam,

You know that I have never gotten angry on you for your questions.

And the answers to your queries are as follows:

Me (like others in the Ummah) read the following Salat-Alan-Nabi in our paryers. The full narration is in Sahih Muslim; I will suffice with the translation as I don't have time to search because my son has fever!

O Allah shower your mercy upon Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the family of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as you have showered your mercy upon Ibrahim (A.S.) and the family of Ibrahim (A.S.). Behold, you are Praiseworthy, Glorious.

O Allah shower your blessings upon Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the family of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as you have showered your blessings upon Ibrahim (A.S.) and the family of Ibrahim (A.S.). Behold, you are Praiseworthy, Glorious

:

Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)'s words are NOT personal as Allah (SWT) says in the Qur'aan itself!

[53:1] By the star when it goes down to set,

[53:2] your fellow (the Holy Prophet) has neither missed the way, nor did he deviate.

[53:3] He does not speak out of (his own) desire.

[53:4] It is but revelation revealed (to him).

And there are many other verses in the Qur'an which indicate to the DIVINE nature of Hadeeth!

This is a long discussion, come back with your initial thoughts and we will go from there, Insha'Alah

P.S: Make dua for my son, Insha'Allah....Keep the questions coming.

kayleigh

Asslamo Allaikum Dear Respected Sister in Islam,

You know that I have never gotten angry on you for your questions.

And the answers to your queries are as follows:

Me (like others in the Ummah) read the following Salat-Alan-Nabi in our paryers. The full narration is in Sahih Muslim; I will suffice with the translation as I don't have time to search because my son has fever!

O Allah shower your mercy upon Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the family of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as you have showered your mercy upon Ibrahim (A.S.) and the family of Ibrahim (A.S.). Behold, you are Praiseworthy, Glorious.

O Allah shower your blessings upon Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and the family of Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) as you have showered your blessings upon Ibrahim (A.S.) and the family of Ibrahim (A.S.). Behold, you are Praiseworthy, Glorious

Rasul-ullah (Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)'s words are NOT personal as Allah (SWT) says in the Qur'aan itself!

[53:1] By the star when it goes down to set,

[53:2] your fellow (the Holy Prophet) has neither missed the way, nor did he deviate.

[53:3] He does not speak out of (his own) desire.

[53:4] It is but revelation revealed (to him).

And there are many other verses in the Qur'an which indicate to the DIVINE nature of Hadeeth!

This is a long discussion, come back with your initial thoughts and we will go from there, Insha'Alah

P.S: Make dua for my son, Insha'Allah....Keep the questions coming.

Thank you very much for your response. I was hoping that you would reply. I don't have any more questions, for now, but I'll pray for your son. I hope he feels better soon.

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy
:salam2: Sister,

Thankyou for posting your question.

WHAT IS SHIRK?

Let us first discuss what does Shirk means? The greatest of all major sins is Shirk-that is to say, associating anyone or anything with Allah and it is of two kinds.

The first is to believe that Allah has an equal or to worship something or someone other than Him such as stone, a tree, a star, the sun, the moon, or a prophet, a saint, or an angel. This is the greatest Shirk about which Allah says:

Indeed, associating anything with Allah is a great wrong. (Surah Luqman 31:13).

Indeed, the one who associates anything with Allah, Allah will forbid him the Garden and his abode is the Fire (Al-Maidah 5:75).

Allah’s Messenger (Pbuh) asked his companions: “ Shall I not inform you about the three greatest sins?” They said: Yes, Messenger of Allah.” He then continued: “ Associating other objects of worship with Allah, disobedience to parents and lying under oath (deliberate perjury) and bearing false witness.” (Bukhari and Muslim). He also said: “ Avoid the seven noxious things, “ in which associating anything with Allah” is included.

The second kind of associating anything with Allah is insincerity and ostentation of one’s deeds as stated by Allah:

Anyone who is expecting to meet his Lord should act righteously and not make anything as a sharer in the worship of his Lord (Al-Kahf 18:110). That is to say, in all one’s deeds, one ought not to act for the sake of ostentation, but sincerely for the sake of Alalh alone.

Prophet Muhammad said: “ I warn you against the lesser polytheism.” The companions asked: “What is lesser polytheism, Messenger of Allah?” He replied: “Showing off”. On the day when Allah most high will reward people for their deeds, he will tell them, “ Go to those people for whose attention and praise you did these deeds and see whether they will reward you.” (Muslim and Ahmad). He also said: Allah says: “ If anyone does anything in which he associates another with Me, His action belongs to the one for whose sake he did it and I am clear of it. (Muslim and Ibn Majah).

So if anybody thinks that in Islam Prophet mohammed is being worshipped or has been elevated to very high status of God, he can apply following Acid Test.

Any candidate who passes the Acid test can be called God.

Any candidate, who claims to be God and fits in this four-line definition, passes the Acid test, is entitled to be called God and worshipped as God. Suppose a lunatic says that Muhammad (pbuh) is God, (God forbid).

Let’s put him to the test of Surah Ikhlas.

i. "Kul hu allah hu ahad" – Say He is Allah, The One and Only;

Is Muhammad (pbuh) one and only? No! he was not the only messenger. There were many other messengers.

ii. "Allah hus Samad" – Allah, The Eternal, Absolute;

We know that Muhammad (pbuh) had to undergo many hardships. Though he was the mightiest messenger of God, he died at the age of 63 and was buried in Madeenah.

iii. "Lam ya lid wa lam yulad" – He begetteth not Nor is He begotten;

We know that he was born in Makkah and his parents were Abdullah and Aaminah. He even had several children e.g. Fatimah, Ibrahim (may Allah be pleased with them), etc.

iv. "Wa lam ya kullahu kufuwan ahad" – And there is none like unto Him.

It should be clear to all that the Muslims love and revere the Prophet (pbuh) and are supposed to follow each and every of his commandments, yet you will not find a single Muslim in the whole world, who in his senses will ever say that Muhammad (pbuh) is God.
The Islamic Creed is, "La illaha illallah Muhammadur Rasoolullah", which means that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad (pbuh) is the messenger of Allah. This is repeated five times a day during the call for prayer, so that the Muslims are reminded daily that although they respect and obey him, he is only a Messenger and servant of God, and not God Himself. So there is no question of Shirk or Idolatry!

If i am understanding correctly you are pointing about the name of prophet mohammed which we take during reciting of Darud i.e.

Translation: Oh Allah, send grace and honour on Muhammad and
On the family and true followers of Muhammad
just as you sent Grace and Honour on Ibrahim
and on the family and true followers of Ibrahim
Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great.

Oh Allah, send your blessing on Muhammad and
the true followers of Muhammad, just
as you sent blessings on Ibrahim
and his true followers
Surely, you are praiseworthy, the Great

* As you can see above that the name of Prophet Ibrahim is also mentoned. So saying why name of only prophet mohammed is mentioned is not true.

* If you read carefully you can see that Prophet mohammed is not being asked for anything (like idolators may ask their idols or christaian may ask to mary). Infact we are actually asking Allah to bless Prophet Mohammed and his true followers.

* Now your valid question may be why we send darud to prophet? Why a common man is sending darud to Prophet?

(c) Islam unlike most other religions doest not profess God-head for its Prophets. The Prophet (Pbuh) was asked to declare their human origin and nature in uncertain words.

“Say: I am only a mortal like you. My Lord inspireth in me that your God is only one God and whosoever hopeth for the meeting with his Lord, let him do righteous work and make none Sharer of the worship due unto his Lord”. (18:110)

The Prophets were humans selected and inspired by God to propagate the message of peace. They made it clear that their selection and guidance was due to God’s Mercy and Beneficence unto them and they also attributed their success and high places in the Hereafter to Allah’s Benevolence instead of their own righteous deeds. They guided us and prayed for us. We are in their debt and the least we can do to repay their debts, is to stick to the straight path showed by them and pray for them. We Muslims pray for all the Prophets including Jesus Christ (A.S)

Because of a clear cut conception of unity of not mixing it with any duality, trinity or polynity, there are no contradictions or unexplainable mysteries in Islamic prayers and worships Jesus Christ himself prayed for showing signs and when in trouble.

While raising lazarus from dead, Jesus made it clear the miracles, he performed, were due to God’s help and Benevolence on him. “So they took away the stone (from the grave) And Jesus lifted up his eyes (towards God) and said: father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. I knew that thou hearest me always, but I have said this on account of the people, standing by, that they may believe that thou didst sent me. When he had said this, he cried with a loud voice: Lazarous come out.” (Jn 11:41-43)
In the garden of Gethsemane, while his seekers were coming to arrest him, Jesus was praying to God, and pleading to be saved from their hands.

“And going a little further, he fell on the ground and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from him and he said: Abba, Father, all things are possible to thee, remove this cup from me, get not what I will, but what thou wilt”. (Mk. 14:35-36)

According to Bible, when Jesus was put on the cross, he pleaded for God’s mercy.
“And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice, Eli, Elim, Lama sabachathani? That is: My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me”? (Mt 27:46)

So, Jesus Christ, even according to Bible, needed God’s mercy. God hears even the sinner’s prayers directly and that is what we Muslim do. We pray for ourselves, we pray for all humanity and we also for God’s Prophets.

* What is Sunnah? The Sunnah refers to the actions, statements and way of life of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

* God Himself in the Quran has ordered Muslims to take the Prophet as their role model and to listen and obey his words.

* Sunnah is also definitive explanation of the Quran itself. Without it there can be no true understanding of how to implement Islam

* Thus the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad is the SECOND of the two revealed fundamental sources of Islam, after the Glorious Qur'an.

* The Prophet’s authenticSunnah was preserved and is contained in what is known as the hadeeth literature

God_s_Preservation_of_the_Sunnah_(part_2_of_8)_-_The_Recording_of_Hadeeth_001.jpg
God_s_Preservation_of_the_Sunnah_(part_1_of_8)_-_The_Companions__Understanding_of_Their_Heavy_Responsibility_001.jpg

* The Companions of the Prophet understood that the Prophet Muhammad was the final messenger sent for humankind and that the task of preserving his teachings would fall upon their shoulders. It was up to them to make sure that what happened to the previous prophets’ teachings would not happen to the Prophet Muhammad’s message.

Additionally, the Prophet himself impressed upon them the fact that they had the responsibility of taking from the Prophet and conveying to others. For example, the Prophet told them, in front of the throngs of the people at the time of pilgrimage:

“Let the one who is present inform the one who is absent. Perhaps the one who is present may convey it to one who can grasp it more than he can.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari, Saheeh Muslim)

* However, the Prophet also warn them in a very stern fashion about conveying anything from him which may not be correct. Using the Arabic word kadhab, which in the dialect of the Prophet did not mean “to lie” but meant to convey something which is not correct, the Prophet stated:

“Convey from me, even if it is just a verse. And narrate [stories] from the Tribes of Israel and there is no harm. And whoever falsely attributes something to my authority shall take his own seat in the Hell-fire.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)

A hadith is composed of two parts: the matn (text) and the isnad (chain of reporters). A text may seem to be logical and reasonable but it needs an authentic isnad with reliable reporters to be acceptable.

There are strong Hadith, Weak Hadith and Even Fabricated Hadith as we can sometimes find these days floating on internet/emails. But scholars have put the condition for the acceptance of Hadiths so that no one can falsely attributes something to Prophet Mohammed.

A Hadith must meet the following five criteria in order to be accepted in Islamic law as a source of legal ordinance:

1. Continuity of the chain of transmitters (ittisal assanad): The chain of transmitters has to be acceptable. That is, none of the transmitters must be missing from the chain of narrators. Furthermore, each transmitter must also have heard the Hadith in question directly from the transmitter before him. Knowledge of this is verified with the help of the biographical sciences of Hadith.

2. The integrity (adalah) of the transmitters: The integrity is established in terms of their outward observance of Islam. In other words, it is ascertained that they practice what is required of them by Islam and that they are not known to engage in doing things which are forbidden. Again this precondition is verified through the biographical sciences of Hadith.

3. Soundness of memory of the transmitters: It must be verified through the biographical sciences of Hadith that each transmitter has a sound memory or that his books were accurate and that he only transmitted directly from his books.

4. Conformity of the Hadith: It is important that the Hadith conforms with similar Hadiths on the same topic which are stronger than it. This conformity should be both in the chain of transmitters and the text. Non-conformity in the chain of transmitters, for example, might be if one of the transmitters in the chain is different from the one mentioned in a stronger version of the same Hadith. Non-conformity in text would imply divergence in the meaning of this Hadith from the one which is stronger.

5. The absence of defects (illah) in the hadith: A defect (illah) in this context is defined as a hidden shortcoming in the Hadith which takes away from its authenticity. At first a Hadith appears to be free from flaws, but an investigation reveals the shortcoming. The defect can be in the chain of transmitters or in the text or both.

As we all Muslims believe, that the Quran is the word of Allah containing guidance on all aspects of life. The Quran commands us to perform Salaat. Our beloved Prophet (pbuh) shows us how and commanded ‘Pray as you see me praying’. There can be no addition to or subtraction from the manner of performing the Prayer.

The Quran commands us to perform the Hajj and to experience its benefits. Our Prophet (pbuh) shows us how to perform the Hajj and commanded. ‘Take from me your rites in performing the pilgrimage.’ The pilgrimage must there fore be performed as he did it with only the variations and allowances as he permitted.

Thus we see that following sunnah (hadith literature) means:

* To follow the Quran but with better understanding, as Prophet approved it. As we see that if explnantion of Quran was left for the understanding of individuals, it would have divided this whole ummah into thousand of scattered groups.

* They also act as clarifications for those of us that are a bit thick headed.

* They also act as references for adab (Islamic Manners).

* Hadiths are good because they also can show how women were integral parts of early Islam.

* They show how a man is to be good to his wife by showing how the Prophet (pbuh) was with his wives and how he adjudicated between his followers

Following the Prophet's "examples and sayings" are thus not contrary to the teachings of Quran and as we can see in the following verses below that Quran directing us to follow our Prophet (PBUH) and in no way following his example can be considered as Shirk.

3:31 Say [O prophet]: "If you love God, follow me, [and] God will love you and forgive you your sins; for God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace."

3:68 Behold, the people who have the best claim to Abraham are surely those who follow him - as does this prophet and all who believe [in him] - and God is near unto the believers.

7:157 "Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper

7:158 Say: "O men! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth: there is no god but He: it is He That giveth both life and death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the Unlettered prophet, who believeth in Allah and His words: follow him that (so) ye may be guided."

To sum up here Think of the Quran as the foundation and the house. The Hadith are the furniture and roof. The Opinions of Scholars can be the door, windows and garden outside. All make for the dwelling.

Wasalam

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
This following article, the English version of which I'm unable to find, explains the relationship of Hadith to Quran and the importance of Hadith
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=93111&ln=ara
Almost similar english version
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=604&ln=eng

Summary of article:
-Hadith explains the Quran. Example: Quran orders Salah and Charity. Hadith (Sunna) explains Salah and Zakat (Charity).

-The Sunna is crucially important, because the prophet only says Hadiths that Allah taught him to say, and
"Nor doth he speak of (his own) desire. (52:3)"

-Quran ordered us to obey the prophet, not because he is divine, but because he never lies and because he reports only what Allah taught him in matters of religion:
And if he had invented false sayings concerning Us, (44) We assuredly had taken him by the right hand (45) And then severed his life-artery, (46) (Sura 69)

-Finally
O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and those of you who are in authority; and if ye have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to Allah and the messenger if ye are (in truth) believers in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more seemly in the end. (4:59)

Globalpeace

Banned
Hey! I am a Fellow Yankee...

Asslamo Allaikum,

Hey! Just because Her Majesty has called upon me all the way from the Sunny State of Florida and the Knighted me as "Sir" doesn't mean that I don't look after my fellow American Brothers & Sisters!

I learned my stuff in Florida & California and life just can't get much better then that, can it?

I am a fellow Yankee like you so keep posting questions and never mind the Europeans, particulary the inhabitants of a "tiny Island called United Kingdom" Insha'Allah.

We kicked them out 200 years ago, you just remember that!

And Thank God for that; otherwise we will all be playing cricket, wearing weird tight clothes and sipping tea!

Thank you very much for your response. I was hoping that you would reply. I don't have any more questions, for now, but I'll pray for your son. I hope he feels better soon.

amyaishazouaoui

Asslamo Allaikum,

Hey! Just because Her Majesty has called upon me all the way from the Sunny State of Florida and the Knighted me as "Sir" doesn't mean that I don't look after my fellow American Brothers & Sisters!

I learned my stuff in Florida & California and life just can't get much better then that, can it?

I am a fellow Yankee like you so keep posting questions and never mind the Europeans, particulary the inhabitants of a "tiny Island called United Kingdom" Insha'Allah.

We kicked them out 200 years ago, you just remember that!

And Thank God for that; otherwise we will all be playing cricket, wearing weird tight clothes and sipping tea!

YEAHHHHH??????? What would the world be like without them british eh???

We dont all play cricket....its boring!!1 zzzzzzz

ok its 11pm and its tfb

Jihan

InshAllah I'll do my best to answer:
Firstly, you have to understand that although different prophets had the same unique message(Tawhid) the laws that were revealed to them slightly varied. Secondly, Muhammad (saw) is the prophet that was sent US. so we follow the laws that were revealed to us through him. the Quran tells that Allah has given as an example of a highest character in Muhammad (saw) and so we should resemble his characteristics. Thirdly, the hadiths are not another set of guidelines apart from the quran, but rather they amplify, echo, and reflect that which is mentioned in the quran so that we may have better understanding of the quran.
for instance, some women might say well the quran say we hould cover up but doesn't name exactly where to cover. but we see the muslimahs at teh prophets (saw) time in the hadiths.
of course the prophet (saw) was a human

May God Bless you for asking questions! but not too much!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I think it is very important to be able to question. This only increases faith and disspels false notions. I believe it takes great courage to be able to ask questions.

abou haytam

salam o alikom sister;

i am your extremiste brother lol....maybe you know me by my opinions and advises that seams to be sometimes ectremiste lol. but I swear by allah i love you in islam. and don t get angry if some of our brothers and sisters are rude...sometimes we are rude cuz we are jeleous for our Deen not because we hate someone.

you aske a very good questions sisters and i read a lot in arabic about the topic you are asking about. but unfortunatly my englsih is verry poor and i am trying to find things to help.
for the first question,

:

1. Why is Muhammad (pbuh) mentioned in prayers by name when no other prophet is? :

i think or i am sure you know what is Attachahod. When you pray you recit Attachahod. and here the english meaning of attachahod that you recit at the end of your prayers.

(O Allaah, send prayer upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad, as You sent prayers upon the family of Ibraaheem. And send blessings upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad, as You sent blessings upon the family of Ibraaheem among the nations; You are indeed Worthy of Praise, Full of Glory)’ – and the salaam is as you know.” (Narrated by Muslim, al-Salaah, 405)

in red i put ibrahim (pbuh) and his familliy, you should know sister that ibrahim (abraham) is called the fathher of the prophet....his familly includ all the prophet : jacob, isac. ismail. jesus .mouise..john....etc. so firstble you recit mohamed and his familly and after you recit abraham (pbuh)with his familly. Conclusion, abraham and his familly is recitedmentioned too in the prayer not just mohamed (pbuh)

and here are a likn where you will learn the details of how to pray it s very important to mention abraham(pbuh) and his familly in your tachahoud of the end.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=13340&ln=eng&txt=التشهد

:

the hadith are the revelation from God too but it s by mohamed(pbuh) words, allah said in the Qoran: “Nor does he(mohamed pbuh) speak of his own desire. It is only an Inspiration that is inspired” [al-Najm 53:3] so speak here mean what he said in hadeeth too not just the qoran…so it s equal to words God . i will give you an exemple: in qoran God said that we have to worship him,but how??? qoran didn t explain how to pray or what to do in Hajj for exemple. so the hadeeth and the actions of our prophet by his ouwn words expalin to us how to worship God. But those actions are not his desire or he do it for fun ( astaghfiro allah)
So hadeeth are considered an explaination of the qoran and somtimes hadeeth complet qoran. Hadith and Qoran are in the same level. All of them are revelation from God, Qoran by God words and hadith by mohamed (pbuh) words.
“And We have not sent down the Book (the Qur’aan) to you (O Muhammad, except that you may explain clearly unto them those things in which they differ, and (as) a guidance and a mercy for a folk who believe”
[al-Nahl 16:64]
Here a link where you can learn more about mohamed (pbuh)

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=11575&ln=eng&txt=لتبين للناس

and finally here are personal reserach :

كلمة محمد وردت في القرآن الكريم 4 مرات the word mohamed in arabic is cited 4 times in qoran

كلمة عيسى وردت في القرآن الكريم 25 مرة eassa (jesus) is cietd 25 times

كلمة موسى وردت في القرآن الكريم 131 مرة moussa (moise) 131 times

كلمة إبراهيم وردت في القرآن الكريم 62 مرة Nouh (Noe) is cited 62 times.

كلمة نوح وردت في القرآن الكريم 50 مرة
salam o alikom sister. Allah bless you and guid all of us.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i think what the sister is trying to say is that so many people focus on the prophet:saw: so much, that it almost seems as if there are people that worship him. that there are some muslims that are on the border of committing shirk. i have personally met people like this, and i respect their love for him but when you talk about him more than you do Allah SWT it's a problem.i hope i explained this well.

samiha

---------
Staff member

I think good answers have been placed. I will only add two things. Not of my own words, but of Qur'aan and Hadith. These are coming in handy. :SMILY252:

Allah says in the Qur'aan:

“Say (O Muhammad), “I am only a human being like you. It is revealed to me that your Rubb is only one Rubb.”
[Al-Kahf -110]

And the Prophet (saws) himself said, “Do not exalt me like the Christians exalted the son of Maryam. I am only a ‘abd (servant). So say, “(He is) Allah’s ‘abd and Messenger.”

(Bukhari)

We do not, and are not supposed to exhalt the Prophet Muhammad :saw: too high. Those who do so, clearly go against this last hadith. Allah forgave him (Muhammad (saws)) for his sins, but he is still a human. Alhamdulillah there is moderation in everything! We say, "Muhmmadan Abduhu wa Rasooluhu" meaning, Muhammad (saws) is an 'Abd (slave of Allah) and a Rasool (Messenger). Allah places him between two statuses, one which says that he is a slave like everyone else, but another which makes it clear that, yes, he is a slave, but he is also the Messenger from Allah.

He is given that degree. Not too high, yet not below the respect required of his position. The same way, we should place him (saws) in his proper position and not higher or lower.

Another few things... There is nothing wrong in asking questions, just phrasing is important, because people may become offended sometimes... and two... nobody should call them an extremist. There is nothing extreme in Islam, it is a religion of moderation, and even in joking I do not think it should be said...

wasalam