Sneezing and Yawning

Abu Talib

Feeling low
:salam2:

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه: عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال ( إذا عطس أحدكم فليقل الحمد لله وليقل له أخوه أو صاحبه يرحمك الله فإذا قال له يرحمك الله فليقل يهديكم الله ويصلح بالكم)ز

Narrated Abu Huraira:The Prophet (salalahu 'alayhi wasalam) said, " If anyone of you sneezes, he should say 'Al-Hamdulillah' (Praise be to Allah), and his (Muslim) brother or companion should say to him, 'Yar-hamuka-l-lah' (May Allah bestow his Mercy on you). When the latter says 'Yar-hamuka-llah", the former should say, 'Yahdikumul-lah wa Yuslih balakum' (May Allah give you guidance and improve your condition)." Bukhari - Volume 8, Book 73, Number 243

عن أبي هريرة : عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال ( إن الله يحب العطاس ويكره التثاؤب فإذا عطس أحدكم وحمد الله كان حقا على كل مسلم سمعه أن يقول له يرحمك الله وأما التثاؤب فإنما هو من الشيطان فإذا تثاءب أحدكم فليرده ما استطاع فإن أحدكم إذا تثاءب ضحك منه الشيطان)س

Narrated Abu Huraira:The Prophet (salalahu 'alayhi wasalam) said, "Allah loves sneezing but dislikes yawning; so if anyone of you sneezes and then praises Allah, every Muslim who hears him (praising Allah) has to say Tashmit (Yar-hamuka-l-lah) to him. But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so if one of you yawns, he should try his best to stop it, for when anyone of you yawns, Satan laughs at him." Bukhari - Volume 8, Book 73, Number 245

:wasalam:

azmirush

May I know what we should say if we were to yawn? I used to say-
au zubillah himi nasyaiton nirrajim. Would that be appropriate? Or are there any better one?

:wasalam:

azmirush

How to refrain from yawning? It just happens..especially when we are tired or feeling drowsy, right?

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Is yawning bad????? :eek:
what can we do to prevent it????

Yes as per hadiths its proven its bad.

But many people give different answers sayings its natural, its happens when your tired etc etc...but you know what happens when you yawn in a gathering, or in a meeting ... it sounds your not interested or lazy or sleepy..

And I heard the Prophet Sallalahu Alayhis Sallam yawned only once in his life span. anyways i found the hadiths below.

Hadith - Bukhari 4:509, Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him."

Hadith - Bukhari 8:242, 8:245, Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say: May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah). But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, Satan will laugh at him."

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri

Allah's Apostle said: When one of you yawns, he should try to restrain it with the help of his hand since it is the Satan that enters therein.

Hadith - Mishkat, Narrated AbuHurayrah , transmitted by Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah.

Allah's Messenger said, Yawning in prayer is an act of Shaytan, so when one of you yawns he should restrain it as much as possible. In another version it the word are: He should place his hand upon his mouth.

Hadith - Mishkat, Narrated by Grandfather of Adi ibn Thabit, Transmitted by Tirmidhi

Allah's Messenger said: Sneezing, drowsing, yawning in prayer, also menstruation, vomiting and nose-bleeding are from (the acts of) Shaytaan (Satan). *[i.e. when they occur during salat]

4mMadara2Amina

>*<

Very helpfull words to know this all.
Thank you so much (all of you) sharing the tread :) :hijabi:

May Allah reward you,
your sister
Amina.

azmirush

When I was a child, when I yawned my mom asked me to cup my mouth. She said that the shaytan would be laughing at me. When I refused to do it, she said there goes the shaytan.. it might get into your mouth.

Now that I'm older and a mother myself when my daughter asked me how to avoid yawning. I'm not sure..istighfar helps i think. Is there any way to not to yawn at all in a day?? It is a bad reflex action. Prevention is better, right? but how anyone? :wasalam: