Speak proper english!

Waseem203

Young Muslim
Although I feel that not much people here take me seriously in light of my young age, I have a suggestion that applys to many of the users I see here.

I don't claim to be a scholar in the English language, or a scholar for that matter, however I'm not crazy about all the slang and inproper use of language I regularly see on the site. Many people come her to have a new and correct perception of Islam, and when you "Tak lik dis" most people won't take you seriously.

Offending anyone is the least of my intentions, I just hope that the slang and inappropiate use of language will stop, so most people can have a postitive perpspective on Islam, and it's adherents for that matter. And I think sophistication is paramount in acheiving that.

Just a though.

Thanks.

Waseem.

:wasalam:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
Jazakallah khair

No doubt good words is a must for dawah.But we have brothers and sisters here from all over the world,who are non native English speakers .Yes I agree ,that here are some who write ,using slang ,intentionaly and some who dont ,so please let's not point at these small mistakes . .May be its better to advice something more beneficial then this..

waaleikum salam

palestine

Servant of Allah
i too use shortage of words, i abbreviate them so as to get a quick answer to the person and also because i'm usually in a hurry like now for salat. we'll do our best. but sis aisha is right. salam. :) and ur right to brother waseem :)

Robab

daughter of Adam
brother can u help others

Aslam o alicom.
still i read ur thread.what r u really help those person who want to learn english language???:shymuslima1:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We are told to strive for excellence. If we decide to write on a Muslim forum let us do our best.
And you know me. I will not read the text/slang/who knows what. I do not because you can not be serious.
If you are in a hurry do not respond. That is a poor excuse. Yes, Sister Palestine, you are too intelligent to use that excuse with me.
I have written many a post begging and demanding proper use of the language. And I thank you for taking the time to read my response.

amna_muslimaa

TRUELY MUSLIMAA
:salam2:
Sometimes i tried to write shortwords but i cant because it depends on the habbit some people have habbit of writing like this nothing else so please Brothers and sisters change this habbit ......because many people cant understand this ....!!!
walaikumsalam

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Non-native English speakers would not write in "text" or slang such as dis, dat, ur, 4rm, etc., Actually I think an non-native speaker would struggle even more to understand anything written in that style. The non-speakers tend to make spelling errors and grammatical errors such as no plural use of a noun, absent linking verbs, etc., but not what we are addressing.

But what brother Waseem is pointing out is the intentional writing of slang to look "cool" to others. I will PM a brother or sister when they continuously write in this manner and so far every single one of them were doing it on purpose. I do not try to offend them and I am very gentle about it. This site is about clearing up the misonceptions of Islam. At one point there were so many writing in this manner I think the misconception could be we were all borderline illiterate.

I hardly think it appropriate to write something like "De prophet was a gud man, sth i wud lik to be" And a non-native ENglish speaker would be more confused trying to translate that than not. Sorry to ramble but there you have it.

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatu,

Threads along the same subject matter have been posted many a time since I have joined at least. Alluding to the point made by the other brothers and sisters already, slang isn't the type of writing style adopted by literate people discussing a serious matter. It hardly looks serious or literate anymore for that matter.

For some, writing styles almost become like a personality trait if I can put it that way. It can be very difficult to change. But to get the message accross you can't make threads like this stickys can you?

Wasalaam :)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said.

We all need to post in proper English so as to demonstrate a good impression to non-Muslims who visit this site as well as our Brothers and Sisters already on the forum.

The tone, level of gentleness, standard of English and other factors you want to add will shape how we are viewed.

Most of us are educated, so we shouldn't neglect this in our posts.

I hope we all take this on and use it to improve our posts, Insha'Allaah.

Walaykum Salaam.

islamisthesolution

Although I feel that not much people here take me seriously in light of my young age, I have a suggestion that applys to many of the users I see here.

I don't claim to be a scholar in the English language, or a scholar for that matter, however I'm not crazy about all the slang and inproper use of language I regularly see on the site. Many people come her to have a new and correct perception of Islam, and when you "Tak lik dis" most people won't take you seriously.

Offending anyone is the least of my intentions, I just hope that the slang and inappropiate use of language will stop, so most people can have a postitive perpspective on Islam, and it's adherents for that matter. And I think sophistication is paramount in acheiving that.

Just a though.

Thanks.

Waseem.

i guess you are right sometims i get lost when i read for someone who writes in slang but i dont know may be i did it myself without knowing but its really hard especially when you dont speak English i mean your mother tongue isnt english
Jazaki Allahu khyran

fada_all

Just a though.

Thanks.

Waseem.

salam alikom

i agree with u brother in the propre use of english , but u have to know as my sister aisha has already mention that there are here who are non native speaker of english . for example: im from morocco my antive language is arabic ,the French language took the second level in my country , but the English language took the third part.the reason behinde my continuse use of this langugae because all my university studies were in English litterature ...
Although my work has no thing to do with my studies ,in other words i use only the French language in my work, regardless of all these things i try as much as possible not to lose this language..
Finally , the purpose of been here is to be close to allah the almighty ,and to increase our konwledge on our religion .and of course to help each other specially those who are newly converted to islam.that one day insha allah we all be gathered in aljannah insha allah ..and so far we mustn't take too much care about the style of language which is used by some of us .but what is much important is the contents, context or meaning,and of course get the message behinde ...
oh allah increase my konwledge ..forgives my sins and accept my doua'' and prayer and all muslims ameen

salam alikom

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaikum brothers and sisters.

Ah this thread is pointless, lol, sorry but it is.
How about we post things that are of benefit rather than open up the door to idle chit chat such as 'but in my opinion...' or the classic ' well, what I think is...'

May Allah protect us from such things.

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
i too use shortage of words, i abbreviate them so as to get a quick answer to the person and also because i'm usually in a hurry like now for salat. we'll do our best. but sis aisha is right. salam. :) and ur right to brother waseem :)

This post is quite ironic. :SMILY335:

Musulmanin

Salaam,

Non-native English speakers would not write in "text" or slang such as dis, dat, ur, 4rm, etc., Actually I think an non-native speaker would struggle even more to understand anything written in that style. The non-speakers tend to make spelling errors and grammatical errors such as no plural use of a noun, absent linking verbs, etc., but not what we are addressing.

But what brother Waseem is pointing out is the intentional writing of slang to look "cool" to others. I will PM a brother or sister when they continuously write in this manner and so far every single one of them were doing it on purpose. I do not try to offend them and I am very gentle about it. This site is about clearing up the misonceptions of Islam. At one point there were so many writing in this manner I think the misconception could be we were all borderline illiterate.

I hardly think it appropriate to write something like "De prophet was a gud man, sth i wud lik to be" And a non-native ENglish speaker would be more confused trying to translate that than not. Sorry to ramble but there you have it.

You're absolutely right, I'm not a native speaker I have to decipher some of the 'wanna be ganster cool english.' I usually skip over those posts. I don't think I would learn anything benefitial from those posts, it's a waste of time to decipher them. These posts rarely have any serious thought put into them.

BrotherZak

Striving for excellence is a prized value that we must learn to recapture in our lives- and no where else does this first emanate on a message forum such as this, than in the very words we use to communicate the lofty message and goal of Islam.

I cannot begin to conceive the reproach and reluctance of the seeker of truth who happens by design on his journey to pass by this forum, only to find a people careless of the Language. First impression starts with the letters and words we use to communicate the message--everything else including ideas,reasoning,verses,logic,facts,stories, and any other vestige of knowledge is proportionally judged against that initial impression--

Salam

yameenahmed

As-salaamu'alaikum brothers and sisters.

Ah this thread is pointless, lol, sorry but it is.
How about we post things that are of benefit rather than open up the door to idle chit chat such as 'but in my opinion...' or the classic ' well, what I think is...'

May Allah protect us from such things.

i dont agree with u br,yusuf it may be very helpfull to non native english people who will be motivated with ds

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaikum,

But there are many more important issues than how people write on a website, I personally don't care if someone uses a typing style they find easier - this website is for da'wah (Muslims and non-Muslims), it should not become something of class or education. The amount of replies to this thread that include stupidly big words (that the user would NEVER use otherwise) has made this an arena to show off how much English you know.
This has nothing to do with Islam, yes there are etiquettes of giving da'wah and they should be adhered to, but to comment on the English skills of your brothers and sisters is lame (maybe they don't actually know that much English, and typing 'lik' this is easier for them?)
Either way, the Prophet (sallAllahu 'alaihi wasalam) who we claim to follow was illiterate but was the most eloquent of Arabic speech. Who are we to judge or complain?
May Allah guide us all to that which is correct.

'Woe to every scorner and mocker'...
Qur'an 104:1

ShyHijabi

As-salaamu'alaikum,

But there are many more important issues than how people write on a website, I personally don't care if someone uses a typing style they find easier - this website is for da'wah (Muslims and non-Muslims), it should not become something of class or education. The amount of replies to this thread that include stupidly big words (that the user would NEVER use otherwise) has made this an arena to show off how much English you know.
This has nothing to do with Islam, yes there are etiquettes of giving da'wah and they should be adhered to, but to comment on the English skills of your brothers and sisters is lame (maybe they don't actually know that much English, and typing 'lik' this is easier for them?)
Either way, the Prophet (sallAllahu 'alaihi wasalam) who we claim to follow was illiterate but was the most eloquent of Arabic speech. Who are we to judge or complain?
May Allah guide us all to that which is correct.

'Woe to every scorner and mocker'...
Qur'an 104:1

Salaam,

Given that the written language is the primary method we communicate here, I hardly think it a minor issue. And we are not talking about non-native English speakers making honest mistakes but about people purposely writing in slang to look cool.

You mention that the Prophet (peace be upon him) was the most eloquent speaker but illiterate. I think that is the point we are trying to make, even though he was unable to read he still used politeness and correctness when communicating. If we have the ability to communicate properly in the written language, why not use it? We are not mocking or scorning our brothers and sister but reminding them to maintain adaab on this site. I don't think it is asking a lot for them to refrain from purposely writing in "ganster slang."

Wasalaam

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Wa'alaikum asalaam,

What I meant by that was - how do you know these people can write correctly, they maybe great speakers, but just can't spell?
This has gone way toooooo far lol and this was the original point I made about this thread and now I'm involved in it :$
I still stand by the fact that its not a major issue, at least we all communicate on here alhamdulillah. People can write how they want it doesn't make them a bad Muslim or anything, they could be the best Muslims on here subhanAllah!

May Allah protect the Ummah from these diversions.