Starting point for new muslims in terms of Knowledge

UmQassim

Asalam alaykum everyone,

A new muslim sister approached me and inquired about any reccomendations for Sunnah sources -web or book. She only understands English. Do I suggest she reads Sahih Bukhari? I think that she may want supplementary materials to help her understand the Quran and sunnah in the correct manner.

Also, what is the starting point for new muslims- I know that Salah is an immediate step. But in terms of knowledge, where to direct them first? any recommendations?

I was not sure how to respond to her. Please provide me with some suggestions Insha-Allah and consider her specific request- that is "reccomendations for Sunnah sources."

Jazaka Allahu Kheiran.

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
Asalam alaykum everyone,

A new muslim sister approached me and inquired about any reccomendations for Sunnah sources -web or book. She only understands English. Do I suggest she reads Sahih Bukhari? I think that she may want supplementary materials to help her understand the Quran and sunnah in the correct manner.

Also, what is the starting point for new muslims- I know that Salah is an immediate step. But in terms of knowledge, where to direct them first? any recommendations?

I was not sure how to respond to her. Please provide me with some suggestions Insha-Allah and consider her specific request- that is "reccomendations for Sunnah sources."

Jazaka Allahu Kheiran.

Wa 'alaikumassalam WaRahmatullah,

Sister,
for starting point in sha' Allah tell her about five pillars of Islam and six articles of Iman(faith).
Learning salah asap is also important.
I wouldn't suggest reading Al Bukhari immediately.
Recommend her following websites in sha' Allah
Also read this thread in sha' Allah >> Starting point for a muslim
http://www.abdurrahman.org/

http://www.islamhouse.com/

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
wa Alaikum Asalaam,

The Sealed Nectar (Al-Raheequl-Makhtum) and Fortress of the Muslim were good starting points for me. It really depends where the Sister feels her knowledge is most lacking or most in need of updating. Alhamdulillah my local masjid runs Islamic Studies courses, something similar might help her gain an overview and identify topics for more detailed reading.

As well as looking to a nearby masjid, if possible, you might direct/bring her to a reputable bookstore. They can also be very helpful.

Just a couple of my thoughts. I hope they help, Insha Allah

UmQassim

Asalam alaykum,

Alhamdulillah for all your responses and your help. I have forwarded all the information that you have provided to her.

Jazakumallahu kheiran brothers and sisters