Syria bans face veils at universities

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Female students wearing a full face veil will be barred from Syrian university campuses, the country's minister of higher education has said.

Ghiyath Barakat was reported to have said that the practice ran counter to the academic values and traditions of Syrian universities.

His ruling, published on the All4Syria website, was said to be in response to requests from students and parents.

The issue of full face veils has caused controversy in other countries.

In 2009, Egypt's then foremost Muslim cleric, Sheikh Mohammed Sayed Tantawi, barred female students from wearing the full-face veil at the al-Azhar University, Sunni Islam's centre of learning and scholarship.

He also upset other Muslim scholars by saying French Muslims should obey any law that France might enact banning the veil.

Earlier this month, France's lower house of parliament overwhelmingly approved a bill that would ban wearing the Islamic full veil in public.

It must be ratified by the Senate in September to become law.

Belgium's lower house of parliament has also passed a bill to ban clothing that hides a person's identity in public places, although it does not specifically refer to full-face Islamic veils.

BBC

Mubina_91

Oh my Days! Whats the World coming 2?! From what i know, Syria is a Muslim Country innit, or maybe the Cheif is a wannabe of the Kufr. I mean why on Earth would u do that, considering u muslim urself..

ASTAGHFIRULLAH.
May Allah make us amongst those who are pious and work righteous deeds. And may Allah guide those who are misguided, 4 none can guide them but Allah.
AMEEN.

Almaas

:salam2:

I read this on the news too.. Syria's a Muslim country, how could they do this?

I sincerely hope the Muslim students in Syria will stand united against this, InshAllah.

:wasalam:

Salem9022

Oh my Days! Whats the World coming 2?! From what i know, Syria is a Muslim Country innit, or maybe the Cheif is a wannabe of the Kufr. I mean why on Earth would u do that, considering u muslim urself..

ASTAGHFIRULLAH.
May Allah make us amongst those who are pious and work righteous deeds. And may Allah guide those who are misguided, 4 none can guide them but Allah.
AMEEN.

even though majority of the people in Syria might be Muslim. The govt of Syria is not Muslim. They are mostly Allawi(Nusayries). They are a sect of Shiaism. They believe in Ali as being God Incarnated. Also Syria is a Baathist govt. Baathism is a Social Nationalist Marxist system which was founded by a Syrian Orthodox Christian and a Syrian Allawi. So you can see they have noting to do with Islam.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
even though majority of the people in Syria might be Muslim. The govt of Syria is not Muslim. They are mostly Allawi(Nusayries). They are a sect of Shiaism. They believe in Ali as being God Incarnated. Also Syria is a Baathist govt. Baathism is a Social Nationalist Marxist system which was founded by a Syrian Orthodox Christian and a Syrian Allawi. So you can see they have noting to do with Islam.

you can learn more about Allawis and what they believe in here:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57487

As-salaamu `alaykum

Didn't know that, jazaak Allaahu khayran... It all makes sense now; they're governed by kufr and ruled by it.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I feel bad for Niqabi sisters, but these laws ARE for saftey, of everyone.
Have you ever seen someone with malicious intent? What do they do? COVER THEIR FACE.
Of course a Muslimah sister would never do that, but how would someone know? If i see someone come into a bank with their face covered....I'm going to be nervous..like...Is this person going to rob us? Are they just a normal visitor?

It's for saftey, not specifically against Islam or Muslims.

samiha

---------
Staff member

*Sigh* This is utterly ridiculous and pathetic. As a woman who does wear niqaab ... I just want to ask why all the hype? I mean seriously. People seem to neglect many of the other vices in society: speak of alcoholism, gambling, murder, promiscuity etc... which go entirely unnoticed but of course there's always laws trying to be enacted against a simple piece of cloth! SubhanAllaah...

There are more records of death from drunk driving, from STD's from people going off on drugs then there were EVER any crimes from a woman in niqaab, so why all the fuss? Honestly? It's like trying to lull society into thinking that apparently what is being done is a security measure and is protecting the people. But honestly?

How many banks have been robbed by a person wearing niqaab? Even if you give me examples of 1-2 incidents... they are hardly enough to be counted. People commit more crimes while drunk - why isn't alcohol banned? We want to breed distrust of people covering their faces... yes that's been achieved, but in reality the problem they possess to society is little - to none.

And I dont deny there are times when there is a need for security and identification, and in those instances I've always cooperated, but really... in a university? Haven't people got better things to worry about?

Astagfirullah

wasalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I just want to ask why all the hype? I mean seriously. People seem to neglect many of the other vices in society: speak of alcoholism, gambling, murder, promiscuity etc... which go entirely unnoticed but of course there's always laws trying to be enacted against a simple piece of cloth! SubhanAllaah...

...Honestly? It's like trying to lull society into thinking that apparently what is being done is a security measure and is protecting the people. But honestly?

It's a smoke-screen and always has been.

Security at campus? Simple... Introduce points at entrances and exists where a woman can lift her veil to show her identify before being granted entry. Secure the campus so that everyone who enters and exits is listed, not ban an innocent piece of cloth.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

*Sigh* This is utterly ridiculous and pathetic. As a woman who does wear niqaab ... I just want to ask why all the hype? I mean seriously. People seem to neglect many of the other vices in society: speak of alcoholism, gambling, murder, promiscuity etc... which go entirely unnoticed but of course there's always laws trying to be enacted against a simple piece of cloth! SubhanAllaah...

There are more records of death from drunk driving, from STD's from people going off on drugs then there were EVER any crimes from a woman in niqaab, so why all the fuss? Honestly? It's like trying to lull society into thinking that apparently what is being done is a security measure and is protecting the people. But honestly?

How many banks have been robbed by a person wearing niqaab? Even if you give me examples of 1-2 incidents... they are hardly enough to be counted. People commit more crimes while drunk - why isn't alcohol banned? We want to breed distrust of people covering their faces... yes that's been achieved, but in reality the problem they possess to society is little - to none.

wasalam

Walaykumsalaam sister samiha,

I can understand the sorrow and frustration such news brings to you and other sisters. Your questions about why other social vices aren't banned
or paid attention to is an interesting one.

It's often that the rights of the weak are taken away. Rights that people feel that no one would stand up for or defend. I don't really understand the real motives of such a move in a predominantly muslim country. Even if the majority of women aren't observing Niqab, I would think the general majority would still be supportive of their Niqaabi sisters.

There are organizations and businesses (not to mention corrupt govt officials) who are benefiting from the social vices present in our countries. Therefore, to get them outlawed would mean turning a lot of people against the ruling party. No wonder no one wants to take actions against it !

Let's make dua that such injustice doesn't get passed in their senate. These men need to understand that they are dealing with something that Allah azz zawajal made halaal. Hopefully common sense and fear of Allah will prevail in their hearts and minds.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

kayleigh

Ghiyath Barakat was reported to have said that the practice ran counter to the academic values and traditions of Syrian universities.

I find this particular part to be the most offensive. He seems to be saying that women who wear the veil are less intelligent or less academic or don't hold the same values as everyone else. Ridiculous.

The number of women who wear the full veil is such a small minority that I fail to see why any country, anywhere, needs to make laws against it. In France alone, less than 1% of the population wears it.

These places are just picking on tiny issues that don't matter in order to cover up the big issues and problems that they don't know how to solve.

If students and parents are really complaining about it then they need to get a hobby and mind their own business. The mindset that you can and should tell women what to wear, and that you can and should stereotype people based on their clothing, is what really runs counter to academic values that are present in universities.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum

I dont understand whats the problem with veil , Hijaab-Niqaab.
I just dont understand.....its one's right, if a naturalist can roam nude, and if that is his right, so what is the problem in covering everything.

and the just show a cow-dung cause, the hiding identity. they cant manage the terrorist and they are not able to stop terror attack, political threads, and seeing no ways they just put banning on the veil....uffff....how rubbish.
If they are thinking that putting a ban on veil will stop the terror attack possibility, thats like a autistic decision. tell them to stablish Islamic law, onlky then they can find peace.

today they have attaked the veil, tomorrow they gonna attck the Hijaab...and Allah knows.

May Allah protect our sister's Eeman and their proper dignity
and it is our brothers duty to uphold our sisters dignity to the level they deserve.

wa bi-llahi fee tawfeeki
wassalamu alaikum

PS: and I've never expected these from a Muslim country and of course not from Al-Azhar's top cleric/Imam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Ignore the minister of higher education. They can stop one female..they can stop two..they can not stop one thousand or two thousand at a time..I am serious..Kayleigh and I are ready with Sister Harb..come on girls lets show them how to stop this stupidity.

Please, and I am not being simple, why is anyone even paying attention to the ban. Ignore it. Keep going. Where are the brothers? Why do they not have a day when no-one attends the university.

You hit the university where it hurts them. The pocketbook.

Now...we need a fatawa!

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
now all kuffar universities are going to show this examples to the muslim sisters wearing niqaab.

may Allah save them.

Abdullah_Yusuf

It's very sad and insane, really that they are doing this. France, they are afraid of Muslims/Islams but with Syria... I guess gov't officials are.
I pray Allah puts muslims in charge of that gov't.