tattoos and body modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomerang

Salam everyone,

I am after some help with finding in the Quran, where it says that tattoing the body is not allowed...i have read somewhere that it says it is not allowed but i cant remember where...

can anyone help?

please dont refer me to the hadiths, cos i do not want to know.....

salam

curious89

:salam2:

Prophet Muhammad peace be upon commanded:
Narrated 'Abdullah bin Yazid Al-Ansari: "The Prophet forbade robbery (taking away what belongs to others without their permission), and also forbade mutilation (or maiming) of bodies. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Oppressions, Volume 3, Book 43, Number 654)"

The following several narrations of Prophet Muhammad pbuh were sent to me by Omar; may Allah Almighty always be pleased with him:

Narrated Abu Huraira: "Allah's Apostle said, 'The evil eye is a fact,' and he forbade tattooing. (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 827)"

Narrated 'Aun bin Abu Juhaifa: "My father bought a slave who practiced the profession of cupping. (My father broke the slave's instruments of cupping). I asked my father why he had done so. He replied, 'The Prophet forbade the acceptance of the price of a dog or blood, and also forbade the profession of tattooing, getting tattooed and receiving or giving Riba, (usury), and cursed the picture-makers.' (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Sales and Trade, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 299)"

Narrated 'Abdullah: "Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their face hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah. Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet has cursed? And that is in Allah's Book. i.e. His Saying: 'And what the Apostle gives you take it and what he forbids you abstain (from it).' (59.7) (Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Dress, Volume 7, Book 72, Number 815)"

As you can see, any type of body mutilation or maiming even if it were a small tattoo is clearly prohibited in Islam.
In Islam, we follow the laws of the Noble Qur'an, and the Sayings of Prophet Muhammad pbuh. If a situation or case is not addressed in neither the Noble Qur'an, or the Sayings of our beloved Prophet, then we follow the local verdicts of our Religious Authorities, where they would decide based upon the cultural and social situation and causes.

Allah Almighty said in the Noble Qur'an:
"O ye who believe! Obey God, and obey the Apostle, and those charged with authority among you. If ye differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to God and His Apostle, if ye do believe in God and the Last Day: That is best, and most suitable for final determination. (The Noble Qur'an, 4:59)"

"When there comes to them some matter touching (Public) safety or fear, they divulge it. If they had only referred it to the Apostle, or to those charged with authority among them, the proper investigators would have Tested it from them (direct). Were it not for the Grace and Mercy of God unto you, all but a few of you would have fallen into the clutches of Satan. (The Noble Qur'an, 4:83)"

So according to the Noble Verses above, it is a must for us to follow the commands of our beloved Prophet pbuh, thus in this case, mutilation or maiming of any type to the human body and tattooing are prohibited.

This is what I have found so far. Inshallah it helps.

Salem9022

What is the Islamic ruling on women reducing their eyebrows? Please quote the specific ahaadeeth if possible.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Allaah has forbidden women to remove any part of the hair of their eyebrows; this action is called al-namas in Arabic, and it is haraam because of the following evidence:

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him (Allaah), and they invoke nothing but Shaytaan (Satan), a persistent rebel!

Allaah cursed him. And he [Shaytaan (Satan)] said: ‘I will take an appointed portion of your slaves.

Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah.’ And whoever takes Shaytaan (Satan) as a Wali (protector or helper) instead of Allaah, has surely, suffered a manifest loss”

[al-Nisa’ 4:117-119]

The relevant point in this verse is that Iblees will tell people to change the creation of Allaah. Some of the mufassireen interpreted it by saying that what is meant here in this verse is tattooing, plucking the eyebrows and filing the teeth, as we shall see below.

Al-Qurtubi said in his commentary on this verse:

A group said what was meant by changing the creation of Allaah was tattooing and other things that are done for the purpose of beautification. This was stated by Ibn Mas’ood and al-Hasan.

Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/392

2 – It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah said: “Allaah has cursed the women who do tattoos and those who ask for tattoos to be done, those who ask for their eyebrows to be plucked, and the women ask for their teeth to be filed for the purpose of beautification, changing the creation of Allaah.” A woman from the tribe of Bani Asad whose name was Umm Ya’qoob heard of that and she came and said, “I have heard that you have cursed So and so and So and so.” He said, “Why should I not curse those whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed and who are mentioned in the Book of Allaah?’ She said, “I have read what is between the two covers [of the Qur’aan], and I did not find anything in it like what you have said.” He said, “If you have read it, have you not read that Allaah says,
‘And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it)’

[al-Hashr 59:7]?”

She said, “Of course.” He said, “He forbade that.” She said, “I think your wife does it.” He said, “Go and look.” So she went and looked and she did not see what she was looking for. He said, “If she had been like that, she would not be with us.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4604; Muslim, 2125

Al-Qurtubi said concerning the meaning of tattooing:

Tattooing is done on the hand; it involves piercing the back of the hand with a needle and filling it with kohl or another substance so that it changes colour. [Translator’s note: this refers to the type of tattooing known at that time]

Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/392.

Ibn Hajar said concerning the meaning of plucking the eyebrows:

The mutanammisah is the one who asks another to pluck her eyebrows, and the naamisah is the one who does it. Al-nimaas means removing the hair of the face with tweezers. It was said that the word nimaas refers specifically to removing hair from the eyebrows in order to reduce them or make them straight. Abu Dawood said in al-Sunan: al-naamisah is the one who plucks the eyebrows in order to reduce them.

Fath al-Baari, 10/377

It was said concerning the meaning of those who ask for their teeth to be filed (al-mutafallijaat)

This refers to one who asks for her teeth to be filed or who does that. Falj means making a gap between two teeth and tafalluj means making a gap between two attached things by means of filing or the like. This was usually done to the incisor and the eyetooth for the purpose of beautification. A woman might do this if her teeth were close together so that she would have gaps between her teeth, or an old woman might have do to make it look as if she were younger, because young women usually have gaps between their teeth that disappear as the woman gets older.

Fath al-Baari, 10/372

Al-Qurtubi said:

With regard to all of these matters, the ahaadeeth indicate that those who do them are cursed and that they are major sins. But there is some difference of scholarly opinion concerning the reason why they are forbidden. It was said that it is because it is a kind of deception, or because it is changing the creation of Allaah, as Ibn Mas’ood said. This is more correct, and it also includes the first meaning. And it was said that what is prohibited is what is permanent, because it is changing the creation of Allaah; with regard to what is not permanent, such as kohl and make-up, the scholars have permitted that.

Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 5/393.

See also question no. 13744.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21119/tattoos

Mairo

Maryama
Salam everyone,

please dont refer me to the hadiths, cos i do not want to know.....

salam

Wa aleikum salaam,

Sister - why do you insist on remaining uneducated regarding the recorded sayings and actions of the prophet Muhammad, may peace be upon him?

From the comments you have made about hadith, it seems as though you may have come across some hadiths that you didn't like or wouldn't accept for whatever reason, and as a result you have made the decision to discount all of the hadith without even taking the time to learn for yourself what they are or how they came to be recorded or assess what kind of veracity they hold.

Of course you certainly have the freedom to make the choice not to listen to or obey any of the advise or commands contained in the records of Hadeeth. Unfortunately it seems as though you also look down upon those of us who recognize that the sound Hadeeth do constitute a basis of the religion of Islam. As Muhammad said to the followers of Islam, if we hold fast to both the Qur'an AND his example, we will never go astray. We are also ordered in numerous places in the Qur'an to obey Allah AND his messenger.

And Allah knows best

:wasalam:

saffanah

speak good or silent
Is it true if you have tatooes that you can't pray?

Do Tattoos Invalidate Prayers?
Adil Salahi • Arab News

Q:Having had a tattoo on his hand early in life, a man learned lately that it is not permissible in Islam. He wonders whether his prayers and the pilgrimage he has offered are valid.

A: His prayer and pilgrimage are certainly valid. It has to be remembered that genuine repentance of any sin erases it completely. Although in the case of the tattoo, the effect remains on one’s body, the fact that the person concerned has repented means that no further action is required.

She has a tattoo from before she was Muslim
Q:When I was kafir I got a tattoo on my shoulder.Alhumdillah I am now Muslim, My husband is fine about it Alhumdillah, however we would like it removed. To have it removed by laser is expensive and I believe it requires burning of the skin and I do not want to rule out for myself being of thoes who will enter Jena without account. Inshallah
I have repented, is there anymore I really need to do?
Jazak Allah Khair.

A:
Praise be to Allaah.

Praise be to Allaah Who has guided you to His Straight Path. I ask Allaah to make you steadfast in following it. As for this tattoo which cannot be removed except through this kind of surgery, you do not have to do this, because it is too difficult and will cause pain and hurt. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“… and [Allaah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship…” [al-Hajj 22:78]. Your regret and dislike of that, and your determination never to do it again is sufficient. Also, Islam wipes out what came before, so in this case leaving it as it is should not cause you any harm, in sha Allaah. May Allaah help you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i have three tattoos and i hate it so much today. i didn't realize back then s to how much ALLAH SWT hated tattoos and other forms of body art. i've been wanting to go to hajj for some time now, but i'm so worried about people possibly trying to prevent me from performing hajj because the tattoos are on both of my arms.

today there are so many people getting them and when they try to show their tattoos off to me, i pretty much show no joy to them.

BroNfaith

Peace!
Chapter 4: Annisa' (Women)

Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and He forgives what is besides this to whom He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he indeed strays off into a remote error 116 They do not call besides Him on anything but idols, and they do not call on anything but a rebellious Shaitan. 117 Allah has cursed him; and he said: Most certainly I will take of Thy servants an appointed portion: 118 And most certainly I will lead them astray and excite in them vain desires, and bid them so that they shall slit the ears of the cattle, and most certainly I will bid them so that they shall alter Allah's creation; and whoever takes the Shaitan for a guardian rather than Allah he indeed shall suffer a manifest loss. 119

Tattoos is a form of changing Allah's creation, which in this situation is the skin. In sha' Allah I hope I could help. and I ask Allah to forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong since He's the All-knowing All-merciful. Amin

Sister Boomerang, I'm studying Islamic Knowledge these days, alhamudlilah :SMILY346: and I'm always open-minded to learning new things (in sha' Allah). So, I would like to learn something, if you don't mind. Why there's a problem with taking the hadith?

Boomerang

hi everyone,
i will respond properly later, but I am on my way to work at the moment....

i dont trust the hadiths...there is enough in the Quran, to last a lifetime, without confusing myself with stories of the prophet, peace be upon him, that could have been misinterpreted
by people of the past....alot of the hadith make the phrophet out to be a pedophile among other things, and I cant support that.....im sorry...
why God would want me to wipe my behind with an odd number of pebbles is beyond my logical brains comprehension....in the quran i have been asked to not take on anything without looking at it first.....

i'll explain more later....i'll reply tonight when i get home....

Salam....

Mairo

Maryama
:bismillah:

Here is another verse from the Qu'ran to consider.

It is not fitting for a believer, man or woman, when a matter is decided by Allah and His prophet, to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His prophet, he is indeed on a clearly wrong path. (al-Qur’an 33:36)

What do you actually know about the people who have recorded and transmitted the prophet's words and deeds in the collections of sound hadeeth - and also the Qu'ran for that matter - as the prophet, peace be upon him, did not actually write any of these things (including the Qu'ran) with his own hand? Do you really consider them untrustworthy? And what do you know about the method in which they were recorded and transmitted which has led you not to trust them?

Allah has promised to protect the religion of Islam from corruption, and there will always be followers in the world who will practice the religion correctly as Allah has decreed until the day of Judgement inshaAllah.

May Allah always be our Guide in the straight path and increase us in faith and obedience.

:tti_sister:

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
please don`t say that

asalamu alaykum

:)u said you did not wanted to know hadith but do u know that hadith is the sayings of the prophet that u can find things that are forbbiden that are not in the quran. hadith is also about people asked questions that they wanted to know whats forbbiden. brother please follow islam correctly.
may Allah increase ur knowledge, ameen:tti_sister:

BroNfaith

Peace!

Take it easy on the sister :SMILY209: She said she has her reasons that she will explain. Give her a chance :)

In Islam, We don't have this kind of oppression. "There is no compulsion in religion; truly the right way has become clearly distinct from error; therefore, whoever disbelieves in the Shaitan and believes in Allah he indeed has laid hold on the firmest handle, which shall not break off, and Allah is Hearing, Knowing." 2:256

She can choose her path in life which she will be judged to later, and she will be judged ALONE (like the rest of us) and none of you will be counted for her sins or deeds. So, you don't have to panic.

Boomerang

Salam,

ok...seems the thread has gone off topic, but hopefully later we can come back to it ;)

What do you actually know about the people who have recorded and transmitted the prophet's words and deeds in the collections of sound hadeeth - and also the Qu'ran for that matter - as the prophet, peace be upon him, did not actually write any of these things (including the Qu'ran) with his own hand? Do you really consider them untrustworthy? And what do you know about the method in which they were recorded and transmitted which has led you not to trust them?

Now firstly I know how the hadiths sound....I know how they feel in my heart...I know how they suppress and dictate....and last, but definitely not least, I know that some of them don't make any logical sense whatsoever. :p

yusuf 8.029
O ye who believe! if ye fear God, He will grant you a criterion (to judge between right and wrong), remove from you (all) evil (that may afflict) you, and forgive you: for God is the Lord of grace unbounded.

Could this be referring to our conscience.....cos when I use mine when reading some of the hadiths, my conscience says that I should go back to the Quran......

Now I do understand that the Prophet, peace be upon him, did not write the Quran or hadiths himself, but I do know that the Quran has so many miracles within it, that mimic the miracles of nature (Gods creation) in so many ways (mathematically for example), that I am finding it hard to doubt that it is not the word of God.....now on the otherhand, those hadiths are illogical, mimic nothing that I can see in nature, and certainly make life very hard , and it states in the Quran that God does not want to make it hard for us....

yusuf 2.185
Ramadhan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (Signs) for guidance and judgment (Between right and wrong). So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. God intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.

yusuf 5.006
O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces, and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; Rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body. But if ye are ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from offices of nature, or ye have been in contact with women, and ye find no water, then take for yourselves clean sand or earth, and rub therewith your faces and hands, God doth not wish to place you in a difficulty, but to make you clean, and to complete his favour to you, that ye may be grateful.

yusuf 7.002
A Book revealed unto thee, - So let thy heart be oppressed no more by any difficulty on that account, - that with it thou mightest warn (the erring) and teach the Believers).

so there we have a few examples that following God is not meant to be hard....its simple and the hadiths work against that principle....thats why I dont follow them. For the collection of the hadith stories that everyone is so quick to say, I must follow, there is also a lot of trust needed in the observers of the Prophet, peace be upon him, those that passed on the information, the scholars that decide upon them...etc etc...and I am not going to trust those mere men...it says nowhere in the Quran that i would need to put my trust in these men...(.if I am wrong here on this point please correct me and show the Surah.)

Its funny that some of the quotes I have given here actually tell us, what we ARE supposed to be doing....

Boomerang

asalamu alaykum

:)u said you did not wanted to know hadith but do u know that hadith is the sayings of the prophet that u can find things that are forbbiden that are not in the quran. hadith is also about people asked questions that they wanted to know whats forbbiden. brother please follow islam correctly.
may Allah increase ur knowledge, ameen:tti_sister:

Salam sister,

I am a sister...hopefully the above post will clarify my understanding of Islam.

BroNfaith...thankyou for calming words....I, like the rest of everyone here, want my day of judgement, to be a pleasant day. I know that I need to pull my socks up in so many ways, but for me reading and following the hadiths are not going to save me from the fires of hell....in fact I actually feel pretty strongly about that....(and before someone says I cant think in Islam without referring to the Hadiths, this decision has been based on what I discover with using my eyes, ears and brain which God instructed in the Quran)

Perhaps we can eventually get back to the original question.....

happy 2 b muslim

:salam2: sister

hope your well in health and joyful may allah always keep you joyful :hijabi:

i just want to say this inshallah

hadiths is what the prophet said and his sunnah is recorded in it which is needed for us to act upon, however the quran is a guide and a mircale in its self. But you got to ask your self that allah could of sent the quran to just any good muslim if we didnt really need to study the person however allah didnt do that he sent both example one writting and one flesh. the hadith and sunnah isnt illogical because it kinda disrespecting are scholar and all the efffort and work they did to collect the resoures other than that hope you understand sister may all bless us :hijabi:

BroNfaith

Peace!

So, to sum it up:
  1. Some hadith are illogical.
  2. Quran has scientific miracles, Hadith doesn't.
  3. Contradiction: Quran says Islam should be easy, Hadith says Islam should be difficult.
  4. Quran never mentioned that muslims should follow the teachings of other "mere men."
  5. The muslim scholars in history are not trustworthy.
Is that it? Because I will only respond once and I don't want to miss anything. It's just a habit that I hate conflicts or anything that leads to them, specially with a brother/sister :) We're one family after all.
Perhaps we can eventually get back to the original question.....
Alright, I'll post it somewhere else :rolleyes: Just confirm the points :D

P.S.: I promise, it will be a different kind of response.

AdamMuslim

Besm Allah,
Dear sister Boomerang,
I pray Allah that you are in a good health and evry thing is OK with you.

Well, this is a very intersting point of view but humbly I can say it is not correct and I'll give you logical proofs.

First of all, let me clarify a very important point. The term hadith should not be taken literally. Indeed, hadith refers to the the whole religious practice that the prophet (PBUH) have done and were not mentioned in Quran.

Now, a very simple but important exemple is the PRAYER. Did you know that Quran doesn't mention in an explicit way how the prayer should be done ? Did you know that Quran doesn't mention explicitly how the Hajj should be done ? and so on and son on ....

Because of that, the prophet (PBUH) has been ordred to explain to us our daily practice of the religion. That is prayer, fasting, hajj, etc.

Hence each one of us is directly or indirectly following The great sunnah of our prophet(PBUH). This sunnah was transmitted to the companions via HADITHS.

Now, because at the time of the prophet (PBUH) the conventional way to preserve the knowldge was to memorize it (this was the practice to preserve the early arabic poetry) the companions and the followers have memorized a lot of that hadiths but over time people became septic toward some hadiths. As result many well knowen scholars tried to gather all the hadiths and to attribute to each hadith some kind of "rating" or "note" according to their authenticity.

As result there is a cohort set of hadiths called "aggred upon" which are authentic and there is no doubt about their veracity. These hadith constitue the source of the religion after Quran.

Some other hadiths with different "notes" or "scores" that we don't know for sure if or not they are authentic and hence can be neglected (those with the poorest notes).

Hope this help.

Wassalam.

Status
Not open for further replies.