THE GPU EVENT

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum dear respected brothers and sisters in Islam.

I was just curious to know who of you might be attending the Global Peace & Unity event held in London this weekend.

Will those of you who live in England be attending and do you see it as a good thing that will only help the community build bridges with Muslims so they have a better understanding of what Islam is really all about.

Perhaps you might be against going to the GPU because you believe there will be free mixing and Nasheeds with musical instruments being played, although I believe this year musical instruments will not be used.

It would be nice to hear all your views.

Peace2u

saima11

:salam2:

i have never been but a friend who went brought the dvds to the event can't remember what year but i am against it, because of the nasheeds with beats also the seating is mixed, but also the woman were screaming when some of the nasheed artist. some people were even clapping.
also do you think people that go from all over england does every woman have a mehram that are traveling from beyond 48 miles, i myself know some young grls are just getting rides from friend, now that friends dad is not a mehram for the other passenger but some say you can travel like that.
you say you believe they are not having beats to nasheeds but sami yusuf will be there he uses music with every nasheed.
every1 has there own view it will be nice to see every1 elses views on this.

Smee

Salaam,
I am very uncomfortable with the whole GPU event, and other events similar to them such as 'Nasheed Extravaganza' (ISB) and 'Evening of Inspiration' (Islamic Relief).
I feel that the events pander to the requirements of the non-Muslims, even though the turn out of non-Muslims is non-existent. When I first started practising I used to work at such events, and after the amount of un-Islamic activity I saw, I was disheartened and gave up.

I do not doubt that good intentions lie behind the creation of such events, however they are carried out in a highly questionable way, giving an incorrect and unIslamic representation of Muslims.

wasalaam

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam, i wanted to go just to see the Qiraat competiton, the final will be held, because i've been following it for quite a while, and the exebitions, talks.. definelty nasheeds are putting me off, last year, some girls were screaming when the men were singing that the security guys had to interviene.. totally non-islamic.. so i'm not going. i might change my mind anytime though :D

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
maybe i live in a blind daze, but i have never heard of this event? Where is it? Not that i am encouraged to go after reading what people have said about it!

Abu_Luqmann

GPU

Assalamualaikum,

I had planned to attend the GPU initially. But I dropped the idea due to the same reasons mentioned b y Peace2u, Smee and others. I think there is a good intention in it, but unfortunately, it does not seem to be conducted in an exemplary Islamic way.

And Allah Knows Best

salams

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:wasalam:

It is all one big way of making lots of money. lol.

They invite anyone to come and speak, they do not care what the belief of that person is or what they will teach.

Wasalam

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam,

I agree with most of the people, instruments and beats not being a good thing when used by the Nasheed artists such as the music of Sami Yusuf to name a few. Sisters going over the top by clapping and screaming is not a good thing when it's far better to say something appropriate as in "Allahu Akbar" instead.

Some may consider free mixing in such an event as haram however we could also argue the point that doesn't the same apply when ever we step out of our homes and into the market or shopping mall for example and where they're women without Hijab amongst us.

From my understanding and quote me if I'm wrong doesn't it only become Haram if a male and female are alone in a room as Shaitan then becomes the 3rd party.

These are all some of the negative things about the GPU how about some of the positives like what I witnessed last year and that is the amount of people that took Shahada on stage and even back stage as well Alhamdulilah.

I made good use of some of the literature and Quran's that were given away free of charge to give to some non Muslims so they may read up on Islam and Inshallah perhaps one day accept Islam as their religion. It was also quite breath taking to hear the Adhan being called by he Muezzin of Mecca In addition to this witnessing several thousands of brothers and sisters together in Salah. A lot of money being raised and donated to different types of charity works as well.

With all big events you are going to get different types of people attending, some who are non Muslims some who are weak in Imaan and some who are not even practising Muslims at all, perhaps it is these such events that may have some sort of affect on these people to help bring them back to the deen. It's OK for those of us who are Alhamdulilah practising Muslims to sit here and criticise the GPU because of our firm or good knowledge of Islam that we may possess. For example our youth who are all into listening to ganster rap could listen to some rap with possitive lyrics that may change the way they think and later Inshallah when they understand Islam better they may completly stop listening to music all together. We cant expect them to suddenly stop lsitening to music. Same goes for new Muslims, we don't expect them to learn everything about Islam as soon as they take the Shahada, as it is always a gradual learning process .

So like some said there is some good that comes out of it and at the same time we have to give these organises credit where it's due.

As always Allah knows best.

Peace2u

user expired!

asalamualaykum,

I went the last two years!
last time i went i was a volunteer,

didnt see any improvements so i didnt go this year!

jamilgame

:wasalam:

It is all one big way of making lots of money. lol.

They invite anyone to come and speak, they do not care what the belief of that person is or what they will teach.

Wasalam
To be fair brother none of the speakers are paid, i asked yusuf estes and yusuf chambers themselves they are not paid to attend the event. As for making money they give out free tickets on Islam channel for anyone donating over £100 during ramadan, so i'm sure their intention are for good not for money and i know and you can check a seat in the excel arena just 1 seat for a day rent is £6.50 they hire 1000s of seats and they only charge £15 for and £7.50 for kids.

One more thing if you are non-muslim u get a free ticket if you want to come go to the event which i think is brilliant idea.

w'salam

saima11

I'm pretty sure he is not on the line up of Nasheed Artists as per their website.

:salam2:
i am sorry:shymuslima1::shymuslima1: he is not but native deen are and der nasheeds have bets too.also it says on the website, dat on the sunday there is a fireworks dislpay wot is the purpose for thats???????????????????????????

NAVEED

Assalamoalikum
I attended the last two GPU events, and then decided not to go again. yes the reasons are too much music and not very islamic atmosphere, even after last event I met sheikh Yusuf Estes and he was not very happy with too much music, specially when Yusuf Islam pulled the guitar.
Allah guide us to the straight path, ameen
Salam alai kum dear respected brothers and sisters in Islam.

I was just curious to know who of you might be attending the Global Peace & Unity event held in London this weekend.

Will those of you who live in England be attending and do you see it as a good thing that will only help the community build bridges with Muslims so they have a better understanding of what Islam is really all about.

Perhaps you might be against going to the GPU because you believe there will be free mixing and Nasheeds with musical instruments being played, although I believe this year musical instruments will not be used.

It would be nice to hear all your views.

Peace2u

P.S. Is anyone still waiting for tickets for this event?

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Assalamoalikum
I attended the last two GPU events, and then decided not to go again. yes the reasons are too much music and not very islamic atmosphere, even after last event I met sheikh Yusuf Estes and he was not very happy with too much music, specially when Yusuf Islam pulled the guitar.
Allah guide us to the straight path, ameen

Yes brother you're quite right and I agree the music is a serious issue with the GPU and its quite obvious there is a difference of opinion amongst the Scholars regarding whether it's Halal or Haram.

user expired!

asalamualaykum,
bro lets not get into that argument cos there is no difference of opinions on Music it is clear cut Harram except the duff and even that has specific rulings.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
asalamualaykum,
bro lets not get into that argument cos there is no difference of opinions on Music it is clear cut Harram except the duff and even that has specific rulings.

Bro no one is arguing, perhaps I should have been more specific and said "Nasheeds" with musical instruments is Haram and it's obvious music in general is Haram to.