The Mehdi In Islam

samiha

---------
Staff member
Al-Mahdi, Muhammad ibn Abdullah & A Caliphate That Follows the Guidance of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam​

But, Some of Its Signs Have Already Come!
A. Hijazi © 1995

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Hudhaifah bin Al-Yaman reported that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said,

"Prophethood (meaning himself) will remain with you for as long as Allah wills it to remain, then Allah will raise it up wherever he wills to raise it up. Afterwards, there will be a Caliphate that follows the guidance of Prophethood remaining with you for as long as Allah wills it to remain. Then, He will raise it up whenever He wills to raise it up. Afterwards, there will be a reign of violently oppressive [The reign of Muslim kings who are partially unjust] rule and it will remain with you for as long as Allah wills it to remain. Then, there will be a reign of tyrannical rule and it will remain for as long as Allah wills it to remain. Then, Allah will raise it up whenever He wills to raise it up. Then, there will be a Caliphate that follows the guidance of Prophethood."

Then Hudhaifah said, "The Prophet stopped speaking." [As-Silsilah As-Sahihah, vol. 1, no. 5]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Al-Mahdi Muhammad bin Abdullah

All those who are gifted with sound comprehension know that the Mahdi who the Shiites are waiting for, does not and did not exist. The Muslim nation has faced numerous hardships and calamities because of this mystical belief that the Shiites carry and propagate regarding this Mahdi.

In the Shiite mythology, believing in the Imams is a cornerstone of their faith. However such mythology is similar to Greek and Persian mythology, as well as the beliefs of the other nations of Al-Jahiliyyah.

The Sunnis believe that Al-Mahdi will be an ordinary man, born to an ordinary women raised by ordinary men and living an ordinary life with the people of his time. He will not live in caves, as the Shiites believe. They are waiting for their Mahdi to appear from an alleged cave, where they claim he has been in hiding for over ten centuries.

In reality, Al-Mahdi will be an Imam and a Caliph, among other Caliphs who rule Muslims with justice. However, what differentiates Al-Mahdi from other Caliphs is that he will meet Jesus son of Mary sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam.

Also, Jesus, the Prophet of Allah, will pray behind Al-Mahdi. Allah will give Al-Mahdi the ability to righteously rule the Muslim nation in the span of a night. He will fill the earth with justice, as it was filled with injustice. He will lead the Muslim nation to the second conquering of Constantinople and possibly Rome.

A Caliphate That Follows the Guidance of the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam

The Prophet Muhammad sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam mentioned that just before the end of this world, the Muslim nation will be ruled by a Caliphate that will follow the guidance sent with the Messenger of Allah sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam.

Hudhaifah bin Al-Yaman reported that the Messenger of Allah sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said,

"Prophethood (meaning himself) will remain with you for as long as Allah wills it to remain, then Allah will raise it up wherever he wills to raise it up. Afterwards, there will be a Caliphate that follows the guidance of Prophethood remaining with you for as long as Allah wills it to remain. Then, He will raise it up whenever He wills to raise it up. Afterwards, there will be a reign of violently oppressive [The reign of Muslim kings who are partially unjust] rule and it will remain with you for as long as Allah wills it to remain. Then, there will be a reign of tyrannical rule and it will remain for as long as Allah wills it to remain. Then, Allah will raise it up whenever He wills to raise it up. Then, there will be a Caliphate that follows the guidance of Prophethood."

Then Hudhaifah said, "The Prophet stopped speaking." [As-Silsilah As-Sahihah, vol. 1, no. 5]

The reason behind mentioning this Hadith here is to state that Al-Mahdi will live in the last period of rightly guided Caliphs that the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam mentioned himself sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam.

In this Hadith, the Messenger of Allah divided the history of the Muslim nation into the following stages:

1. The reign of the Prophet Muhammad

2. A Caliphate that rules according to the guidance revealed to the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam This period is called the reign of the rightly guided Caliphs, starting with Abu Bakr, then Umar, then Uthman and ending with the murder of Ali bin Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased withthem all. Some scholars included the short reign of Al-Hasan bin Ali, the grandson of the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam These are the thirty years which the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam stated comprised the reign of the rightly guided Caliphs [The Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said? "The Caliphate will remain in my nation after me for thirty years. Then, it will be a monarchy after that." Ahmad, Tirmidhi and others, Sahih Al-Jami` ' As-Saghir no. 3341].

3. The reign of unjust rule. This reign contains some injustice to a varying degree between one king and another. This period started after Al-Hasan bin Ali and includes the Umayyad, Abbasid, Mamluks and until the fall of the Ottoman State in the twentieth century.

This period includes all states that ruled in the Muslim World during those centuries. However, we exclude the reign of those rulers whose rule was similar to the rule of the rightly guided Caliphs, such as the reign of Abdullah bin Az-Zubayr and Umar bin Abdul-Aziz. These two are considered among the just Caliphs from among the tribe of Quraish who ruled or will rule the Muslim nation.

4. The reign of the tyrannical rule. This period started in the end of the Ottoman state and continues. We ask Allah that He saves us from the evils of this period and that we witness its end soon.

This reign includes all the regimes that ruled the Muslim World, whether imperial, party oriented, governments controlled by the disbelievers, like those after World War I, populist or republic, which all sought to deprive Allah from His right as the Only Legislator in all matters of life and religion.

When the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam mentioned the periods that this nation will experience, he categorized them according to the type of government, whether unjust, or that which follows the guidance of the Prophet, or autocratic and tyrannical, as we experience today.

5. The return of a Caliphate that rules following the guidance of the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam This period requires the Muslims to be prepared and strive for its imminent coming, by spreading the knowledge of the Book and the Sunnah and the way of our righteous ancestors, As-Salaf As-Salih. This is because nothing can resurrect this nation except that which resurrected its ancestors. Until this final period comes, the religion will become a stranger, the same way it started in Makkah, a stranger to its masters and slaves, the powerful and the weak, its women, and its children.

Those who will strive to establish this righteous period are those ghurabaa strangers as the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam called them, who will carry this religion with knowledge, sound comprehension and determination. They will willingly sacrifice their well-being, face hardships, and persecution, with patience and steadfastness. They will follow the advice of the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam when he said,

"Therefore, hold fast to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Caliphs, hold it between your front teeth! And beware of innovations (in the religion), for every innovation is a bid'ah, and every bid'ah is a deviation, and every deviation is in the Fire." [Sahih Al-Jami ' As-Saghir, no. 2549]

The ghurabaa are the ones who, by the will of Allah, will correct that which people have altered and changed of the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam after his departure from this earthly life. They will fight in the sake of Allah and dominate those who oppose them. They will be unrelenting even in the face of those who abandon or defy them, until Allah brings about His Decree (the Hour), while they are steadfast on this path.

We ask Allah, the Praised and Ever-High One, that He grants us steadfastness on the path of His Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam and the path taken by the companions and those who followed theirlead until the Day of Judgment.

Ameen.

LoveIslam

ALLAH FORGIVE US
:bismillah:
assalamualyakum sister :jazaak: for sharing
may ALLAH help us to spread his religion the right way at it was spread by his beloved Prophet Muhammad:saw2: Aameen

Rember ummah in your :tti_sister: Aameen

Abu Juwairiya

It would be interesting to see if the Saudi monarchy would still be around to witness the arrival of Imam Mahdi. If so, what might be their reaction. Are they likely to support him or ally themselves against him.

Abu Juwairiya

where about?

I'm not sure what you mean, but my original perspective was on the timing of the arrival of Imam Mahdi. Not in any specific place, but on the period when he make an appearance and it becomes apparent it is he who is the Imam.

The Saudi monarchy may or not exist as a political entity, a royal family that still rules the peninsula or as an exiled former first dynasty. If those who embrace the belief that the Saudi royal family upholds Islam as their constitutional benchmark and guidelines alone, what will be their position when Imam Mahdi eventually makes his ascent near to the Day of Judgment.

If the Saudi royal family exists then, hold prominent structural political and religious foundations as a State or otherwise, but are not aligned to Shariah then the likelihood will mean he will at some point or another declare war against them.

Abu Juwairiya

who in the hell is imam mahdi?

Before I reply I have a few questions of my own. First, are you Muslim yourself and second how much do you know or have read up on the Islamic viewpoint of the last days? I would be more than happy to describe in detail with references and comments about the personage and relevance of Imam Mahdi in Islam.

However, due to the length and longevity of the written answer, I will respond by email after I receive notification to my inbox with your email address and not through the forum. I look forward to replying to you.

ASEMOUN

:bismillah1:

Who is Imam MAHDI???

Introduction

First Heavenly concealment: 8th of Rabi-ul-Awwal, 260 A.H.
Final Heavenly concealment: 10th of Shawwal, 328 A.H.
There existed a good deal of harmony and uniformity between the aspects pertaining to the births of Prophet Muhammad, the last Apostle of Allah and Imam Mehdi, the last Apostolical Imam. Just as the coming of the Holy Prophet was prophesised well in advance by the preceeding Prophets similarly the impending news of the gracious birth of Imam al-Mehdi was foretold by the Holy Prophet.
Innumerable traditions in this context, quoted right from The Holy Prophet from the glowing contents of many books of Masanid, Sehan, and Akhbar and of Shia Scholars existed. Many Sunni scholars have accumulated these traditions in complete volumes also.

BIRTH

He was born on the 15th Shaban 255 A.H. in the city of Samarra. The momenton us and singluar aspects of his birth greatly resembled those under which the Prophet Musa was born. The birth of Hazart Musa had signalled the downfall and extinction of the empire of Pharoah, who had ordered the slaying of all the newly born children of Bani-Israel. The Abbaside kings were similarly apprehnesive of the continuous traditions of the Holy Prophet about the birth of Imam Mehdi, who was to bring about a curse to their (Abbaside) very empire. They were, therfore, laying in ambush to discover the birth of the Imam and to put an end to his life. But the event of the Imam's birth was enveloped and shielded by the same Divine protection and miraculous phenomena which had makred the historical birth of Prophet Musa. His birth remained strictly confidential and his nursery shrouded in secrecy except to a few devotees.
The Imam's birth had coincided with the reign of al-Mutamad, the well-known Abbaside king. He, being aware of the prophecy of the twelfth Imam's birth occuring in his reign, was extremely worried and anxious to trace him out.
But on the death of Imam Hasan Askari, when he was informed about the Imam's funeral prayer having been conducted by his four year old son, his perplexity knew no bounds.
It struck his mind that this very boy must be the Imam, but he managed to hide his inner concern at the news of the existence of the young Imam. In order to get confirmation that the young Imam did in fact exist, he ordered the arrest of the Imam's mother, Janab-e-Nargis Khatoon.

MISC. Information on Imam Mehdi (AS)
In a tradition upon whose authenticity all Muslims agree, the Holy Prophet has said:
"Even if the entire duration of the world's existence has already been exhausted and only one day is left before Doomsday (Day of judgment), Allah will expand that day to such a length of time, as to accommodate the kingdom of a person out of my Ahlul-Bayt who will be called by my name. He will then fill out the earth with peace and justice as it will have been full of injustice and tyranny before then."
Sunni Reference: Sahih Tirmidhi, V2, P86, V9, P74-75
There are many more.
The context of the above precious tradition informs the golden divine promises will take place, sooner or later, one way or another, as mentioned in most of the Shi'ite and Sunnit sources.
In a tradition the Holy Prophet said to the Commander of believers, Ali, that:
"There will be twelve Guides (Imams) after me, the first of whom is you, O' Ali, and the last one will be the 'Support' (al-Qa'im), who with the grace of Allah, will gain victory over the whole east and west of the world." The occultation of the twelfth Imam is divided into two parts: the first, the minor occultation (ghaybat al-Sughra) which began in 259/873 and ended in 329/939, lasting about seventy year. On that period, people were in contact with him through four special deputies. That period served as preparing people for the absence of Imam. The second, the major occultation which commenced in 329/939 and will continue as long as God wills it. There is no special deputy in direct contact with him in this period, and Muslim scholars are regular deputies of him at this time without having ability to see him.
Imam Mahdi (AS) said:
"Rest assured that no one has a special relationship with Allah. Whoever denies me is not from my (community). The appearance of the Relief (al- Faraj) depends solely upon Allah. Therefore those who propose a certain time for it are liars. As to the benefit of my existence in occultation, it is like the benefit of the sun behind the clouds where the eyes do not see it. Indeed, my existence is an amnesty for inhabitants of the earth. Pray much to Allah to hasten the Relief, for therein also lies the release from your sufferings."

Sunni Documantation on Imam Mahdi (AS)

For our respected Sunni brothers, there are six authentic collections of traditions based on the Sunni standards for verifying the authenticity of a tradition. These six books are: Sahih al-Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Sahih al-Tirmidhi, Sunan Ibn Majah, Sunan Abu Dawud, and Sahih al-Nisa'i. I just quote few traditions from these six books to prove that a knowledgeable Sunni brother/sister can NOT deny that:
1. Mahdi is going to come in the last days to make a universal Government, 2. Mahdi is from the Ahlul-Bayt of Prophet, 3. Mahdi is from the children of Fatimah (AS), the daughter of Prophet, 4. Mahdi is different than Jesus (the messiah), 5. Jesus will be one of the followers of Imam Mahdi and prays behind him. The following are only some of the traditions out of many, about Imam Mahdi, and are ALL traditions that the Sunnis admit to their authenticity and existence:
The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Even if the entire duration of the world's existence has already been exhausted and only one day is left before Doomsday (Day of judgment), Allah will expand that day to such a length of time, as to accommodate the kingdom of a person out of my Ahlul-Bayt who will be called by my name. He will then fill out the earth with peace and justice as it will have been full of injustice and tyranny before then." Sunni References:
1. Sahih Tirmidhi, V2, P86, V9, PP 74-75 2.
Sanan Abi Dawud, V2, P7 3.
Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, V1, P376 & V3, P63 4.
Mustadrak al-Sahihain, by al-Hakim, V4, P557 5.
Al-Majma', by Tabarani, P217 6.
Tahdhib al-Thabit, by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani, V9, P144 7.
Sawaiq al-Muhraqa, Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, P167 8
. Fathul Bari, by Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani, V7, P305 9.
al-Tathkirah, by al-Qurtubi, P617 10.
al-Hawi, by al-Suyuti, V2, pp165-166 11.
Sharh al-Mawahib al-Ladunniyyah, by al-Zurqani,
V5, P348 12. Fathul Mughith, by al-Sakhawi, V3, P41 13.
al-Hafidh Abul-Hasan Muhammad Ibn al-Husayn al-Sijistani al-Aburi 14. al-Shafi'i (d. 363/974). (who said the above hadith is related by numerous authorities and were spread far and wide by many narrators). and also in the works of Ibn Habban, Abu Nua'ym, Ibn Asakir, etc. Also:
The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Al-Mahdi is one of us, the members of the household (Ahlul-Bayt)." Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, Tradition #4085
As we see Imam Mahdi is from the Ahlul Bayt of Prophet Muhammad, so he can not be Jesus (the Messiah; al-Maseeh). Mahdi and Messiah are two different personalities but they come at the same time, Mahdi as Imam and Jesus as his follower. The following tradition clearly mentions that Imam Mahdi is one of the children of the daughter of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF):
The Messenger of Allah said: "Al-Mahdi is one of the children of Fatimah (the Prophet's daughter)." Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, Tradition #4086
Also:
The Prophet (PBUH) said: "We the children of Abd Al-Mutalib are the Masters of the inhabitants of Heaven: Myself, Hamza (RA), Ali (AS), Jafar (RA), Hasan (AS), Hussain (AS), and Al-Mahdi (AS)." Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, Tradition #4087
The Prophet (PBUH) said: "The Mahdi will appear in my Ummah. He will appear for a minimum of 7 or a maximum of 9 years; in that time, my Ummah will experience a bountiful favor like never before. It shall have a great abundance of food, of which it need not save anything, and the wealth at that time is in great quantities, such that if a man asks the Mahdi to give him some, and the Mahdi (AS) will say: Here! Take!" Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, Tradition #5083
Remark: According to Shi'i sources, the Government of Peace and equality that Imam Mahdi will establish will last hundreds of years with no rival, and then the day of Judgment will be set. What is mentioned in the above tradition as 7 or 9 years is related to the length of time that Imam Mahdi will fight to conquer the world when he starts his mission.
The Prophet (PBUH) said: "We (I and my family) are members of a household that Allah (SWT) has chosen for them the life of the Hereafter over the life of this world; and the members of my household (Ahlul-Bayt) shall suffer a great affliction and they shall be forcefully expelled from their homes after my death; then there will come people from the East carrying black flags, and they will ask for some good to be given to them, but they shall be refused service; as such, they will wage war and emerge victorious, and will be offered that which they desired in the first place, but they will refuse to accept it, until a man from my family (Ahlul-Bayt) appears to fill the Earth with justice as it has been filled with corruption. So whoever reachs that (time) aught to come to them even if crowling on the ice/snow." Sunni ref: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, Tradition #4082, also in the History Tabari
The Messenger of Allah said: "The world will not perish until a man among the Arabs appears whose name matches my name." Sunni reference: Sahih Tirmidhi, V9, P74
Also:
The Messenger of Allah said: "Mahdi from my family will bring about a revolution and will fill the world with justice and equity before which it was filled up with injustuce and inequity." Sunni references:
1. Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, V1, P84 2. Jami'us Sagheer, by al-Suyuti, PP 2,160 3. al-Urful Vardi, by al-Suyuti, P2 4. Kanzul Ummal, V7 P186 5. Aqd al-Durar Fi Akhbaar al-Mahdi al-Muntazir, V12, Chapter 1, 6. al-Bayan fi Akhbar Sahib al-Zaman, By Ganji Shafi'i, Chapter 12 7. al-Fusool al-Muhimmah, by Ibn Sabbagh Maliki, Chapter 12 8. Arjahul Matalib, by Ubaidallah Hindi hanafi, P380 9. Muqaddimah, by Ibn Khaldoon, P266 Also Ahmad Ibn Hanbal narrated that:
The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Allah will bring out from concealment Mahdi from my Family and Progeny before the Day of Judgement, even if only one day were to remain in the life of the world, and he will spread on this earth justice, and equity and eradicate tyranny and opression." 1. Sunni reference: Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v1, p99
Ibn Majah in his Sunan quotes Mohammad Ibn Hanafiyyah and Imam Ali saying that the Holy Prophet (PBUH) said:
"Mahdi is from our Ahlul-Bayt, no doubt Allah will enforce his Amr (appearance) within a night (i.e., his coming is very unpredicted)." Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, V2, P269
The more recent fatwa in this issue is given in Mecca by the Muslim World League (Rabitatul `Alamul Islami) on Oct. 11, 1976 (23 Shawwal 1396). This fatwa states that more than twenty companions narrated traditions concerning al-Mahdi, and gives a list of those scholars of Hadith who have transmitted these narrations, and those who have written books on al-Mahdi. The fatwa states:
"The memorizers (Hafiz) and scholars of Hadith have verified that there are authentic (sahih) and acceptable (hasan) reports among the traditions related to al-Mahdi. The majority of these traditions are related through numerous authorities (Mutawatir). There is no doubt that the status of those reports are Sahih and Mutawatir. (They have also verified) that the belief in Mahdi is obligatory, and that it is one of the beliefs of Ahl al-Sunnah wal Jama'a. Only those ignorant of the Sunnah and innovators in doctrine deny it. For the transcription and reproduction of this fatwa, see, among others, the Introduction of al-Ganji al-Shafi'i, in the book named "al-Bayan," Beitut, 1399/1979, PP 76-79 and in Appendix.
Among Shi'ite scholars, I would like to mention the masterpiece of Lutifullah Al-Safi al-Golpaygani, who compiled an encyclopedia called "Muntakhab al-Athar". In this book, there is a comprehensive narration of the traditions relating to the appearance of the Mahdi (AS). He has used over 60 Sunni sources, including their Six Authentic Books of Tradition; and over 90 Shi'ite sources to illuminate the fact that Al-Mahdi is NOT a fabricated event.
The Prophet (PBUH&HF) said: "He who dies not knowing the Imam of his era, has died the death of Al-Jahiliyya (Days of Ignorance; the era before Islam)."

Special specifications of Imam Mahdi (AS)

In the previous part, I provided extensive traditions from the six authentic Sunni collections concerning the fact that Imam Mahdi (AS) who is different than Jesus (the messiah) WILL come and he is the descendant of Prophet and his daughter Fatimah. The traditions further illuminated the fact that Jesus (who was a great Prophet) will pray behind al-Mahdi (who is an Imam). Also I gave the fatwa of Sunni scholars who stated that the belief in the "Mahdi of the House of Prophet" is one of the Islamic tenets for "Ahl al-Sunnah wal Jama'a", and any one who denies it is either ignorant or an innovator.
In this part however, I would like to talk about some special specifications of Imam Mahdi which is questionable for a majority of Sunnis. Imam Mahdi's Identification:
Shia believe that Imam Mahdi is the only son of Imam Hasan al-Askari (the 11th Imam) who was born on 15th of Sha'ban 255/869 in Samarra, Iraq. He became the God-appointed Imam when his father was martyred in 260/874. Imam Mahdi went into occultation (disappearance; leaving among people while they can't recognize him) at the same time. He will re-appear when Allah wills. More specifically:
His title is "al-Mahdi" which means "The Guided One."
His name is Muhammad Ibn al-Hasan (AS).
His lineage, traced back to al-Imam Ali (AS), is: Muhammad Ibn al-Hasan Ibn Ali Ibn Muhammad Ibn Ali Ibn Musa Ibn Ja'far Ibn Muhammad Ibn Ali Ibn al-Husain Ibn Ali Ibn Abi Talib (AS).
On the other hand, the majority of Sunnis are not so sure that he has been born yet. They believe he will be born some time before his mission. The name of Imam Mahdi is Muhammad (which is the same as what Shia believe). There is however one single Sunni report which adds that the name of the father of Imam Mahdi is Abdullah.
Now let us see what is the argument of each side:
Question 1:
Some Sunnis question Shia that how a five year old boy can become an Imam for the people? And why attribute all this importance to him?
Answer 1:

First, we must question whether or not in the history of religion, the phenomenon of young leaders has a parallel. Undoubtedly, there is. The Quran strikes two examples which are worthy of mentioning:
We have the example of Jesus (AS) who became Prophet and spoke people when he was a baby in the cradle:
"But she pointed to the baby. They said: `How can we talk to one who is a CHILD in the cradle?' He said: `I am indeed a servant of Allah. He HAS GIVEN me Scripture and ASSIGNED me a Prophet, and He has made me blessed wherever I be, and has enjoined on me Prayer and zakat as long as I live.'" (Quran 19:29-31) Thus Jesus (AS) became Prophet and received revelation and book while he was less than two years old!
Furthermore, in few verses before, Quran mentions the case of Prophet Yahya (John), to whom Allah (SWT) said:
"`O Yahya! Take hold of the Book with might:' And We gave him the appointment (of prophethood) in his CHILDHOOD." (Quran 19:12) So if a two-year old boy can become a prophet and receives revelation, then why can not a five-year old boy become Imam?
Have you ever heard of prodigies? They are kids between the ages of four to 18 that exhibit signs of exceptional skills that are usually found in highly qualified adults only. Here are some examples from history:
"John Stuart Mill (1806-73), a 19th-century English philosopher and economist, advocated utilitarian reforms in his many writings and as member of Parliament. A child prodigy, Mill had mastered Greek by the age of 7 and studied economics at the age of 13. His works express his social thought with great clarity and thoroughness. (The Bettmann Archive)"
"The French thinker, mathematician, and scientist Blaise Pascal, b. June 19, 1623, d. Aug. 19, 1662, has been credited not only with imaginative and subtle work in geometry and other branches of mathematics, but with profoundly influencing later generations of theologians and philosophers. A prodigy in mathematics, Pascal had mastered Euclid's Elements by the age of 12. Pascal invented and sold the first calculating machine (1645)."
"Wolfgang was the greatest musical child prodigy who ever lived. He began composing minuets at the age of 5 and symphonies at 9."
"Beethoven's own talent was such that at the age of 12 he was already an assistant to the organist Christian Gottlob Neefe, with whom he studied."
"Sarah Caldwell, born Maryville, Mo., Mar. 6, 1924, is a conductor and producer. A child prodigy in both mathematics and music, before reaching the age of ten."
While not exhaustive, the list serves the purpose of demonstrating that this phenomenon occurs naturally among normal human beings from all walks of life. So scientifically speaking, it is quite possible that a child demonstrates abilities that adults can not. Also religiously speaking anything Allah desires will happen no matter how strange. Indeed Allah (SWT) asserts unequivocally in Quran that if He wanted something, all He has to do is to say to it: "Be! and it will be!".
Question 2:
Every body is mortal. How can he live so long?
Answer 2:

Yes, in fact Imam Mahdi will die too. But the difference is the length of life in this world. In fact Quran and the prophetic traditions tell us that some people have had/are having long life in this world. So it is possible to see this phenomena again.
Are you aware that according to the Quran (see 29:14), Prophet Noah has just been prophet for 950 years? In fact, he was alive even more than that because we should add his age before prophethood to the above number. Who knows how much it was.
Do you agree that Prophet Jesus (AS) is still alive? He is in fact 1,994 years old now. Of course, he is not living on Earth right now; he is living in the Heavens. But according to Muslim's belief, he will come back to Earth, and will pray behind Imam al-Mahdi (AS).
Do you agree that al-Khidr (AS) is still alive? Quran mentions his story with Moses (AS). He existed before the birth of the Prophet Moses (AS), so al-Khidr (AS) is now more than 3000 years old. He lives right here on this Earth, but we can not recognize him (fairly similar to the case of Imam Mahdi). He serves Allah (SWT) as one of His agents.
No doubt Allah has the ability to give a very long life, but He also has assigned a death time for every body (including the above mentioned individuals) which can be so soon or so late.
Moreover, scientifically speaking, there are NO objections whatsoever to the extended life span assertion. A group of scientists conducted a series of experiments at the Rockefeller Institute in New York in 1912 on certain "parts" of plants, animals, and humans. These scientists included Dr. Alex Carl, Dr. Jack Lope, and Dr. Warren Lewis and his wife, among others. Among the experiments conducted was one that directly treated the nerves, muscles, hearts, skin, and kidneys of human beings. These organs were not in a human body, they were independent organs that were perhaps donated for the experiment. It was concluded by the scientists that these "parts or organs" CAN continue to live almost indefinitely as long as they are nourished properly, and as long as they are shielded from external negative interactions like microbes and other obstacles that might inhibit the growth of these organs; furthermore, the assertion was made that the cells would continue to grow normally under the above conditions, and that the growth is directly related to the nourishment provided. Again, aging had no effect on these organs, and they grew every year without any signs of deterioration or aging. The scientists concluded that these organs will continue to grow as long as the patience of the scientists themselves is not exhausted, causing them to abandon the nourishment process.
Question 3:
Where is Mahdi (AS) right now? Is he in cave?
Answer 3:

Imam Mahdi disappeared in 260/874 when he became Imam. The last time that he was seen, was in the cellar of his father's house in Samarra, Iraq. That is what is rumored regarding Shia that they believe Mahdi is in the cave!!!
Shia do NOT believe that Imam Mahdi is in the Cave or Cellar! He was just seen there for the last time. He can be anywhere Allah wishes. However one thing is clear is that he lives on the earth among people while people around him do not perceive.
Second, with regards to the occultation of al-Mahdi (AS), the Quran does NOT rule out such an occurrence at all. Again, the examples of Jesus (AS) and al-Khidr (AS), who are both in occultation, are worthy of mentioning.
Question 4:
What about his mother? Provided that Shia is right in their assertion that al-Mahdi's (AS) mother was a slave or bondwoman, isn't it shameful that he (AS) should be born to a slave-girl?
Answer 4:

The answer would be in the form of the following questions: Wasn't Hagar (AS), the Prophet Abraham's wife, a bondwoman? Did she not bear Isma'il (Ishmael) (AS), whom the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF) is a direct descendant of? If it is acceptable for the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HF), the Seal of Prophethood, to be a descendant of Isma'il (AS) who was born to a bondwoman, then why not al-Mahdi (AS)?
I need to mention that the birth of al-Mahdi (AS) was an event surrounded with secrecy, because the authorities (The Abbasids) knew that the Mahdi who is to bring about a revolution is going to be the son of Imam Askari, and were awaiting his coming, to capture him for execution. Owing to that, Imam Hasan Askari (AS), the Mahdi's father, could not behave conspicuously by revealing who the mother of the Mahdi (AS) was. The Imam Mahdi's mother was Narjis and was a roman slave who married to Imam al-Askari (AS). Notwithstanding, what has created the confusion among the critics of Shia is the fact that Imam al-Askari (AS) did not refer to her (AS) with one name. A variety of names were used in an effort to fool the authorities, and to prevent them from recognizing who she was. That was part and parcel of the plan to protect the Mahdi (AS). Had the father (AS) been slightly negligent in protecting his son, it is clear that al-Mahdi (AS) would not have survived. The story of birth of Imam Mahdi is like that of the Moses. All the women were being regularly inspected by female specialists of Abbasids to find out if anybody is pregnant. The Imam Mahdi's mother did not have any sign of pregnancy to the last hours, similar to Moses's mother. But no doubt that what Allah wishes will certainly take place.
Given these adverse conditions and hardships, the birth of the Imam (AS) was kept in utmost secrecy, that even the closest people to Imam al- Askari (AS), the father of the Mahdi (AS), did not know of the time of his (AS) birth. Only VERY FEW close associates were notified. The obvious contention is that the birth of al-Imam al-Mahdi (AS) constitutes a direct threat to the continuance of the corrupt government to rule. This situation is best understood when we refer back to the first few days of Islam when the Prophet (PBUH&HF) preached the religion in utmost secrecy among a few loyal followers. The Prophet (PBUH&HF) feared for the lives of these believers, and, as such, forbade them from revealing any information that might jeopardize the entire mission.
Question 5:
Who was his father?
Answer 5:

Shiats along with some Sunni scholars believe that his father was Imam Hasan al-Askari (d. 260/874). Below I have included the name of 31 Sunni scholars who confirm this fact. The overwhelming majority of prophetic traditions about Imam Mahdi (some of which I mentioned in the previous part) state that the name of Imam Mahdi is the same as the name of Prophet (i.e., Muhammad). However there exists a single Sunni report that has an additional phrase concerning that his father's name is also similar to that of Prophet's father (i.e., Abdullah). This extra phrase does NOT exist in all other reports by Shia and Sunni who narrated the Hadith. Moreover, the extra phrase in some Shi'i traditions is in the form of (that his nickname is the same as Prophets nickname, i.e., Abul Qasim) which is correct.
The single report which has the additional phrase (that his father's name is the same as that of Prophet's father) has been probably fabricated by Abdullah Ibn al-Hasan (Muthanna; the second) Ibn (Imam) al-Hasan (AS). Abdullah (d. 145/762) had a son named Muhammad who called him "Nafs al-Zakiyyah" and the al-Mahdi. (See Ibn Taqtuqa, al-Fikr fil-adab al- Sultaniyyah, PP 165-166). Abdullah used all his power and wealth to support the revolt of his son. Abdullah concealed his son several times in Umayad period when there was still no danger for him. When he was asked why he did this, he said: "What an idea, their time has not come yet." (Muruj al- Dhahab, by al-Masudi, V6, PP 107-108). The first time Muhammad wrote a letter the Abbasid Caliph, al-Mansur, he wrote: "From Muhammad Ibn Abdillah, the Mahdi, ..." (Tabari, V3, P29, Ibn Kathir V10, P85, Ibn Khaldun, V4, P4).
Muhammad Ibn Abdillah started his claims at the end of the rule of Umayad caliphs. Muhammad became powerful and tried to gain the support of the last Umayad Caliph who was Marwan Ibn Muhammad (132/750), but the Caliph did not pay attention to him. Abul Abbas al-Falasti said to Marwan: "Muhammad Ibn Abdillah is striving to gain the power for he is claiming to be al-Mahdi". Marwan replied: "What does he have to do with me? (the Mahdi) is not him, nor any of his father's descendants. He will be the son of a slave woman."
When Marwan said that Mahdi (AS) is not one of his father's descendants, he meant the descendants of Imam Hasan (AS), for Mahdi (AS) is the descendant of Imam Husain (AS) and is son of a slave woman (umm walad). Even Marwan was aware of these traditions because of which he did not pay attention to Muhammad Ibn Abdillah. This shows that the true versions of traditions from Prophet were wide-spread.
There is also a very small possibility that the fabrication of that extra phrase was done the Abbasid Caliph, Abdullah al-Mansur, who called his son the Mahdi. Muslim Ibn Qutaybah said: "Mansur called me and said: Muhammad Ibn Abdillah rebelled and he called himself the Mahdi. By Allah he is not. I will tell you something else which I have told no one before, and will tell no one after you. By Allah my son is not the Mahdi either,... but I did so to make a good future for him."
From all above it can be seen that the fabrication of the single report which includes that extra phrase, could be reconciled on Muhammad Ibn Abdillah and/or the Abbasid Caliph, al-Mahdi. This is not the place to examine the Hadith critically, but merely to point out the historical background of it.

Abu Juwairiya

The Ahadith refer to a confrontation between the Messiah, Isa Ibn Maryam, and Al Masih Ad Dajjal. I have not come across anything which says the False Messiah is frightened of Imam Mahdi. If you can show us the Ahadith which says so, I would be obliged. Jazakallah Khayrun. I look forward to receiving your source.

MehmetHilmi

You know to be honest, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as the Mehdi in Islam. During my Islamic education my teachers never once mentioned any "mehdi".

I am very confused actually. I know that prophet Jesus (as) will come for sure. But I really don't know anything about the Mehdi.

Abu Juwairiya

Since there is so much information about the Mahdi on this forum already, its not worth repeating his story. I would advise however, you look him up in general both in websites and in books, and as he is a prominent figure in Islam, it will not be difficult to research.

Abu Juwairiya

Some of the Ahadith that speak of Isa Ibn Maryam in the end times include Imam Mahdi, so that would be a good place to start to look for him. In addition, many of the Ahadith of the last days mention him, his roles, responsibilities, actions and personage in great detail.

mezeren

You know to be honest, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as the Mehdi in Islam. During my Islamic education my teachers never once mentioned any "mehdi".

I am very confused actually. I know that prophet Jesus (as) will come for sure. But I really don't know anything about the Mehdi.

Assalamu Alaykum,

Brother, you are right. There will be no mahdi. But, Jesus(a.s.) will not come either. Those believes entered islam from other religions long after the Phrophet of Allah(a.s.) had passed away.

Abu Juwairiya

Salam,

i'm not agreed with brother mezeren.
Should i disbelieves if i don't know about something?:)

Assalammu Alaikum Brother. There is so much evidence of the appearances of Imam Mahdi and Isa (AS) in the last days that neither can be denied. As you said if you are not sure of something Allah says for us to refrain from making a judgement or a decision. The best course of action is to refer to those who have knowledge and accept their opinions. Where applicable, evidence can be requested especially in instances like this because no Fatwas are required about prophecies spoken and addressed by the Prophet (SAW) himself, the Companions and the Classical Scholars. Even today in the age of advanced technology you can ask Islamic websites where scholars are present and while in our own homes we can receive immediate answers. In earlier centuries, it was necessary to travel for thousands of miles by the best of students of knowledge just to attest one or a few Ahadith or learn for a few months at a time.

zaman-gm

Assalammu Alaikum Brother. There is so much evidence of the appearances of Imam Mahdi and Isa (AS) in the last days that neither can be denied. As you said if you are not sure of something Allah says for us to refrain from making a judgement or a decision. The best course of action is to refer to those who have knowledge and accept their opinions. Where applicable, evidence can be requested especially in instances like this because no Fatwas are required about prophecies spoken and addressed by the Prophet (SAW) himself, the Companions and the Classical Scholars. Even today in the age of advanced technology you can ask Islamic websites where scholars are present and while in our own homes we can receive immediate answers. In earlier centuries, it was necessary to travel for thousands of miles by the best of students of knowledge just to attest one or a few Ahadith or learn for a few months at a time.
Wa alikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh Abu Juwairiya.
Actually i just ask that Q to my brother mezeren & MehmetHilmi. :)

Abu Juwairiya

In the Qur'an, Allah says, 'O Jesus!, I will take you and raise you to Myself." (3: 55).

Its not too difficult to understand 'raise you to Myself' to mean Jesus was taken to the Heavens since that is where Allah's Throne is and 'Myself' refers to Allah himself.

The Prophet Muhammad, the Companions, the Classical Scholars, the students of religion and Muslims in general accept the verse to mean that Jesus (AS) was not crucified, not killed and did not die, but he ascended the seven heavens in body and soul and that is where he is to this day.

In another passage, the Qur'an speaks of an event that is yet to occur, a private conversation between Allah and Jesus. Look carefully at the words,-

"I [Jesus] was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them [the human race], but when You took me up [raised alive to the Heavens], You were a Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things." (5: 117).

The verse affirms Jesus was 'raised up' and not died. The Arabic word 'Wafa' used for 'raised up' has a deeper meaning than the English translation. The word 'Wafa' means 'the act of taking the self back' and does not necessarily mean death.

This is further supported in another passage in the Qur'an which says-

"When Allah said: "Jesus, I will take you back [mutawaffeeka], raise you up [wa raafi`uka] to Me, and purify you of those who disbelieve. And I will place the people who follow you above those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection." (3: 55)

Two more distinct and special words are used here, 'Mutawafeeka' and 'Wa raafi' uka', both mean Jesus did not die, but was taken miraculously to the Heavens.

In a third passage of the Qur'an, a similar word is used for the same context, the verse in full says-

"Allah raised him [Jesus] up to Himself [rafa'ahu]. Allah is Almighty, All-Wise." (5: 158)

All three distinct words which cannot be translated fully with the same richness as the Classical Arabic in the Qur'an affirm and attest Allah authorised the ascension of Jesus (AS) alive to the Heavens.

A fourth passage in the Qur'an is even more direct on the subject. It says-

"Their saying: "We killed the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Messenger of Allah." They did not kill him and they did not crucify him, but it was made to seem so to them.

Those who argue about him are in doubt about it. They have no real knowledge of it, just conjecture. But they certainly did not kill him. Allah raised him up to Himself. Allah is Almighty, All- Wise." (5: 157-158)

The issue is if Jesus was not crucified and not killed, then what happened to him? If Allah says Jesus did not die, but 'Allah raised him up to Himself' then what does that mean, other than to say Jesus is in the Heavens.

Finally, I will conclude the Qur'an says,

"Every soul must taste death, and We try you with evil and with good, for ordeal. And unto Us you will be returned." (21: 35)

The issue is that if Jesus did not die and the above verse says all souls must die, then it is obvious Jesus must return and eventually die himself. Look at the last words, 'Unto Us you will be returned'. If Jesus (AS) is already with Allah in the Heavens then the only way this verse can make sense is that he has to return to Allah a second time after this, and that will be after he re-appears on Earth and eventually dies.

The Prophet Muhammad (SAW) expanded on these points in Ahadith and inshallah I will speak of them in detail in future posts as that is a separate discussion.

Last edited:

mezeren

Question: It’s mentioned that Jesus(pbuh) will return to earth before the end of the world. Will Jesus descend from the sky, or his spirit will appear into any man in the world?

According to the Holy Qur’an, Jesus is not alive. Allah has taken his soul.

Allah the Almighty commands:

اِذْ قَالَ اللّٰهُ يَا ع۪يسٰىۤ اِنّ۪ي مُتَوَفّ۪يكَ وَرَافِعُكَ اِلَيَّ وَمُطَهِّرُكَ مِنَ الَّذ۪ينَ كَفَرُوا وَجَاعِلُ الَّذ۪ينَ اتَّبَعُوكَ فَوْقَ الَّذ۪ينَ كَفَرُوۤا اِلٰى يَوْمِ الْقِيٰمَةِ ثُمَّ اِلَيَّ مَرْجِعُكُمْ فَاَحْكُمُ بَيْنَكُمْ ف۪يمَا كُنْتُمْ ف۪يهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ

“Once Allah said: “O Jesus, I am going to cause you to die and raise you to my side. I will purge you from the ignorant. I will make your followers superior to those concealers till the day of resurrection. At the end all of you will return to me and l will resolve the issues which you conflict in between.” (Family of Imran 3:55)

مَا قُلْتُ لَهُمْ اِلَّا مَاۤ اَمَرْتَن۪ي بِه۪ۤ اَنِ اعْبُدُوا اللّٰهَ رَبّ۪ي وَرَبَّكُمْ وَكُنْتُ عَلَيْهِمْ شَه۪يدًا مَا دُمْتُ ف۪يهِمْ فَلَمَّا تَوَفَّيْتَن۪ي كُنْتَ اَنْتَ الرَّق۪يبَ عَلَيْهِمْ وَاَنْتَ عَلٰى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَه۪يدٌ

“I told them what you commanded me: Be the servants of Allah, my Lord and your Lord. I was the witness of them as long as I was among them. After you caused me to die, they were just under your observation. You are the witness of all things.” (The Feast 5:117)

In another verse Allah informs us how He rescued Jesus from the hands of Jews when they had decided to crucify him.

وَقَوْلِهِمْ اِنَّا قَتَلْنَا الْمَس۪يحَ ع۪يسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ رَسُولَ اللّٰهِ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ وَمَا صَلَبُوهُ وَلٰكِنْ شُبِّهَ لَهُمْ وَاِنَّ الَّذ۪ينَ اخْتَلَفُوا ف۪يهِ لَف۪ي شَكٍّ مِنْهُ مَا لَهُمْ بِه۪ مِنْ عِلْمٍ اِلَّا اتِّبَاعَ الظَّنّ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ يَق۪ينًا بَلْ رَفَعَهُ اللّٰهُ اِلَيْهِ وَكَانَ اللّٰهُ عَز۪يزًا حَك۪يمًا

“They say: We have killed Jesus son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah. They did not kill, nor hanged him; but for them, it seemed like it. The ones who argue about this are in full of doubt about it. They do not know anything. They just follow some assumptions. They certainly did not kill him. But Allah raised him up to himself. Allah is Mighty and Wise.” (The Women 4:157-158)

According to this verse, “Allah raised him up to himself”. In the following verses, Allah informs us clearly that Jesus has died. Moreover the expression: “…and raise you to my side…” passes in the verse after the expression “…I am going to cause you to die…” Complete sentence from chapter Family of Imran, 3:55 gives us a definite explanation about this topic: “I am going to cause you to die and raise you to my side.“ As it is clarified in this verse Allah caused the death of Jesus, when the time was up for Jesus and Allah ascended soul of Jesus to Himself.

As a conclusion, people should give up their expectation of Jesus’ returning back and saving the world.

Abu Juwairiya

Thank you for your explanations and clarifications. You are using interpretations which the Prophet, the Companions, the Classical Scholars, the Contemporary Scholars and Muslims in general reject in total. I have explained in my last post the words used mean Jesus was taken alive, did not die and was not killed. The Qur'anic words are clear. Second, by saying Jesus is dead and will not return, you are calling the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) a liar. This is because he said so clearly Jesus is still alive and will return. In addition he mentioned the exact events leading up to the end of the world with Jesus as playing a leading part. I will inshallah in additional posts mention the Ahadith about the return of Jesus, but you have to remember that if the Ahadith is so clear it cannot contradict the Qur'an since the source of the Prophet's information is Allah Himself, so hence the words used that you refer to cannot possibly mean death and Jesus could not possibly have died.

mezeren

Salam,

i'm not agreed with brother mezeren.
Should i disbelieves if i don't know about something?:)

Assalamu Alaykum Brother,

it is ok to disagrree. we can exchange what we know and see things differently.

Our knowledge about such matters is limited to what Allah have informed us in the Quran, the ultimate source of knowledge for all muslims. Qur'an is the only source for us which are 100% reliable, other sources must be taken in the consideration in the light of Qur'an. Otherwise, we could go astray.

Why do you think that neither the Sahih Bukhari nor Sahih Muslim contains narrations about Mahdi?

mezeren

Thank you for your explanations and clarifications. You are using interpretations which the Prophet, the Companions, the Classical Scholars, the Contemporary Scholars and Muslims in general reject in total. I have explained in my last post the words used mean Jesus was taken alive, did not die and was not killed. The Qur'anic words are clear. Second, by saying Jesus is dead and will not return, you are calling the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) a liar. This is because he said so clearly Jesus is still alive and will return. In addition he mentioned the exact events leading up to the end of the world with Jesus as playing a leading part. I will inshallah in additional posts mention the Ahadith about the return of Jesus, but you have to remember that if the Ahadith is so clear it cannot contradict the Qur'an since the source of the Prophet's information is Allah Himself, so hence the words used that you refer to cannot possibly mean death and Jesus could not possibly have died.

Brother, please be carefull what you are saying. i do not believe that Rasullullah said what you claimed he said. Yes, "The Qur'anic words are clear" but you chose to ignore them. You make the verses suit your belief which are formed not according to Quran but other books. it is clear according to Quran that Jesus(a.s.) is dead.

Muhammed(a.s.) was not a fortune teller. All that stories about the last days of the world, you could find them in almost all religions.