The Osama bin Laden I knew By Hamid Mir

Status
Not open for further replies.

tariq353

Rediff.com » News » The Osama bin Laden I knew

Pakistani journalist and Rediff.com contributor Hamid Mir interviewed Osama bin Laden thrice.

Mir, who works for Pakistan's Geo TV network, was the only journalist to interview bin Laden after 9/11.

Hamid Mir, who is writing bin Laden's biography, reveals what the world's most wanted terrorist was really like.

"I was the son of a rich father, I could have spent my life luxuriously in Europe and America, like many other wealthy Saudis. Instead I took up arms and headed for the mountains of Afghanistan. Was it personal interest that drove me to spend each moment of my life in the shadow of death? No!"

"I was merely discharging a religious obligation by waging jihad against those who attacked Muslims. It does not matter if I die in the course of fulfilling this responsibility. My death and the death of others like me will one day awaken millions of Muslims from their apathy."

Osama bin Laden told me this one morning in March 1997 in the caves of the Tora Bora mountains in eastern Afghanistan. I was the first Pakistani journalist to interview bin Laden.

In May 1998 I interviewed him a second time in a hideout near Kandahar airport, Afghanistan, for many hours. He mentioned his possible death again and again to me in that long conversation and said, "Yes I know my enemy is very powerful, but let me assure you, they can kill me, but they cannot arrest me alive."

I received his messenger a few hours after the 9/11 attacks and he praised all those who conducted those attacks, but he never accepted the responsibility for the 9/11 attacks. It confused me. I tried to meet him again. I took the risk of entering Afghanistan in November 2001 when American warplanes were targeting Al Qaeda and the Taliban from Jalalabad to Kabul.

I was lucky and met him a third time on the morning of November 8, 2001. I was the first and only journalist to interview him after 9/11. Intense bombing was going on inside and outside the city of Kabul. He welcomed me with a smile and said, "I told you the last time that the enemy can kill me, but they cannot capture me alive. I am still alive."

After the interview he again said, "Mark my words Hamid Mir, they can kill me anytime, but they cannot capture me alive. They can claim victory only if they get me alive but if they just capture my dead body, it will be a defeat."

"The war against the Americans will not be over even after my death. I will fight till the last bullet in my gun. Martyrdom is my biggest dream and my martyrdom will create more Osama bin Ladens."

http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-sh...tm?invitekey=fe31ce4e0215169009e8c5799f61c62a

Status
Not open for further replies.