The passing away of Rasoolillah (SAW) and the Companions

brighten

seeker of knowledge
:bismillah:

Rasoolillah(SAW)
Five days prior to his passing Rasoolillah(SAW) made wudhu and was helped to the masjid where he addressed the people:
"He whom I have ever lashed his back, I offer him my back so that he may avenge himself on me. He whom I have ever blasphemed his honour, here I am offering my honour so that he may avenge himself."

Then he descended, and performed the noon prayer. Later he returned to the pulpit and said:
"Allâh, the Great, has given a slave of His the opportunity to make a choice between whatever he desires of Allâh’s provisions in this world, and what He keeps for him in the world, but he has opted for the latter."

Abu Sa‘îd Al-Khudri said: "Upon hearing that, Abu Bakr cried and said: ‘We sacrifice our fathers and mothers for your sake.’ We wondered why Abu Bakr said such a thing. People said: ‘Look at that old man! The Messenger of Allâh(SAW) says about a slave of Allâh who was granted the right between the best fortunes of this world and the bounty of Allâh in the Hereafter, but he says: We sacrifice our fathers and mothers for your sake!’ It was later on that we realized what he had aimed at. The Messenger of Allâh(SAW) was the slave informed to choose. We also acknowledged that Abu Bakr was the most learned among us."

On Sunday, a day before he died, the Prophet(SAW) set his slaves free, paid as a charity the seven Dinars he owned and gave his weapons as a present to the Muslims. So when night fell ‘Aishah had to borrow some oil from her neighbour to light her oil-lantern.

When the pangs of death started, ‘Aishah leant him against her. She used to say: "One of Allâh’s bounties upon me is that the Messenger of Allâh(SAW) died in my house, while I am still alive. He died between my chest and neck while he was leaning against me. He(SAW) used a toothbrush to clean his mouth and then washed his face and said: "There is no god but Allâh. Death is full of agonies."

He then raised his hand or his finger up, looked upwards to the ceiling and moved his lips. So ‘Aishah listened to him. She heard him say: "With those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace with the Prophets and the Truthful ones (As-Siddeeqeen), the martyrs and the good doers. O Allâh, forgive me and have mercy upon me and join me to the Companionship on high." Then at intervals he uttered these words: "The most exalted Companionship on high. To Allâh we turn and to Him we turn back for help and last abode." This event took place at high morning time on Monday, the twelfth of Rabi‘ Al-Awwal, in the eleventh year of Al-Hijrah. He was sixty-three years and four days old when he died.

News of the great loss was soon known by everybody in Madinah. Dark grief spread on all areas and horizons of Madinah. Anas said: "I have never witnessed a day better or brighter than that day on which the Messenger of Allâh(SAW) came to us; and I have never witnessed a more awful or darker day than that one on which the Messenger of Allâh(SAW) died on."

Umar(RA) who was so stunned that he almost lost consciousness and stood before people addressing them: "Some of the hypocrites claim that the Messenger of Allâh(SAW) died. The Messenger of Allâh(SAW) did not die, but went to his Lord in the same way as Moses bin ‘Imran did. He stayed away for forty nights, but finally came back though they said he had been dead. By Allâh, the Messenger of Allâh(SAW) will come back and he will cut off the hands and legs of those who claim his death."

Abu Bakr(RA) left his house at As-Sunh and came forth to the Mosque on a mare-back. At the Mosque, he dismounted and entered. He talked to nobody but went on till he entered ‘Aishah’s abode, and went directly to where the Messenger of Allâh(SAW) was. The Prophet(SAW) was covered with a Yemeni mantle. He uncovered his face and tended down, kissed him and cried. Then he said: "I sacrifice my father and mother for your sake. Allâh, verily, will not cause you to die twice. You have just experienced the death that Allâh had ordained."

Then he went out and found ‘Umar(RA) talking to people. He said: "‘Umar, be seated." ‘Umar refused to do so. People parted ‘Umar and came towards Abu Bakr, who started a speech saying: "And now, he who worships Muhammad(SAW). Muhammad is dead now. But he who worships Allâh, He is Ever Living and He never dies. Allâh says:‘Muhammad(SAW) is no more than a Messenger, and indeed (many) Messengers have passed away before him. If he dies or is killed, will you then turn back on your heels (as disbelievers)? And he who turns back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allâh, and Allâh will give reward to those who are grateful.’" [3:144]

Ibn ‘Abbas said: "By Allâh, it sounded as if people had never heard such a Qur’ânic verse till Abu Bakr recited it as a reminder. So people started reciting it till there was no man who did not recite it."

Ibn Al-Musaiyab said that ‘Umar had said: "By Allâh, as soon as I heard Abu Bakr say it, I fell down to the ground. I felt as if my legs had been unable to carry me so I collapsed when I heard him say it. Only then did I realize that Muhammad(SAW) had really died." [Extracts from Al-Raheeq al Makhtum]

Abu Bakr (RA)
Abu Bakr(RA) developed a high fever after having ingested food which was poisoned and on his deathbed asked ‘Aishah as to how many pieces of cloth were used for the coffin of the Holy Prophet. ‘Aishah said that three pieces had been used in the coffin of the Holy Prophet. Abu Bakr thereupon desired that for his coffin as well, three pieces should be used. He wanted that the two sheets that he was wearing should be washed and used for his coffin, while the third piece might be purchased. ‘Aishah said that they were not so poor as not to afford to purchase all the three pieces required for the coffin. Abu Bakr said, "No, the new material will be of more use to the living than the dead. The cloth for the dead body is merely meant to absorb blood and pus, and it is not necessary that the cloth should be new."

The day of death. Abu Bakr inquired of ‘Aishah as to what was the day on which the Holy Prophet had died. She replied that the day was Monday. Abu Bakr next inquired as to what was the day that day. She said that it was Monday. Abu Bakr said that in that case he would die that day. He desired that if he died that day, he should be buried the same day.

Last moments of Abu Bakr. As Abu Bakr lay on the deathbed, ‘Aishah wailed: "And one so unsullied in honor that the cloud draws moisture from his face; the protection of orphans. the defense of widows." Abu Bakr said, "No, this encomium must be reserved for the Holy Prophet alone". ‘Aishah said: "Wealth is of no avail to a man; on the day when the death-rattle is in his throat, and his breast is contracted by it." Abu Bakr uncovered his face and said, "It is not so, Say that the agony of death shall come in truth; this, O man, is what you sought to avoid." He swooned, and on regaining consciousness, he recited the verse of the Holy Quran: "Lord, let me die a true believer: And join me with the blessed ones on high who are virtuous." With these words of the Holy Quran on his lips, Abu Bakr passed from this Dunya.

Umar ibn ul Khattab (RA)
In the time of Abu Bakr(RA), Auf bin Malik Al-Shajjai(RA) a prominent companion had a dream in which it was indicated to him by an unknown power that Umar was to be conspicuous for three things: firstly, that he would be a pillar of strength for Islam; secondly, that he would be the Caliph; and thirdly, that he would die the death of a martyr. When the dream was narrated to Umar in the time of Abu Bakr, Umar silenced Auf bin Malik saying "May Abu Bakr live long; do not talk of the caliphate of any one else. "When Abu Bakr died and Umar became the Caliph, he asked Auf bin Malik to narrate his dream. After hearing the dream, Umar said, "How can I get martyrdom when I stay in Madina, and do not go to the field to take part in the battles against infidels. But then Umar recalled that the Holy Prophet himself on more than one occasion had referred to him as 'Shaheed'. He, therefore, felt that he might be blessed with martyrdom even in Madina.

In the battle of Nihawand, the Muslim forces by way of war strategy spread the news that the Caliph had died. That brought the enemy in the open and in the ensuing fight they were defeated, and the Muslims were victorious. When Umar came to know of this, he said 'If with the death of Umar, Islam can be victorious, let Umar die a hundred times."
After the battle of Nihawand, many Persians, men, women, and children were taken as captives by the Muslims. The captives were sold as slaves. One of these slaves was Firoz alias Abu Lulu. He was purchased by Mughirah Shu'bah the Governor of Basra. This Firoz was a craftsman, a carpenter, an iron smith and a painter. Umar did not allow non-Muslim adult captives to reside in Madina.

One day, Firoz waited on Umar and complained that the tax which his master Mughirah was exacting from him was too high. He wanted the Caliph to reduce the levy. Umar enquired what work did he do. He said that he worked as a carpenter, painter, and an ironsmith. He added that he could make windmills as well. Umar next enquired as to the amount of the tax that he was required to pay to his master. He said that he had to pay two dirhams a day. Umar said that keeping in view the lucrative nature of the jobs done by him, the levy of two dirhams a day was prima facie not excessive. Umar said that he would, however, write to Mughirah, and examine the question further in the light of what Mughirah said. That did not satisfy Firoz, and he went away sulking.

Umar wrote to Mughirah, and in reply Mughirah quoted facts and figures to establish that what he took from his slave was by no means excessive. When Firoz called on Umar again, Umar explained to him that as the levy was not excessive, no reduction therein was called for that made Firoz angry. In order to humor Firoz, Umar said, "I understand you make windmills; make one for me as well." In a sullen mood, Firoz said, "Verily I will make such a mill for you, that the world would talk about it." As Firoz went away, the Caliph told the people around him that the Persian slave had threatened him.

There were Persian children slaves in Madina. Seeing them, Firoz would say, "You have been enslaved at such a tender age. This Umar sees eaten my heart. I will take his heart out". He made for himself a dagger with a very sharp edge and smeared it with poison.

On the 1st of November 644 A.D. at the time of the morning prayer, Firoz went with his dagger to the Prophet's mosque and hid himself in a corner in one of the recesses of the mosque. When the faithful stood for prayer after straightening the lines, and Umar took up his position as the Imam to lead the prayer, Firoz emerged from his place of hiding and rushed at Umar. Firoz struck Umar six consecutive blows with his dagger, and Umar fell on the floor profusely bleeding.

Other persons rushed at Firoz, but he had the fury and frenzy of a desperate man about him. He struck right and left, and thirteen Muslims were wounded, some of them fatally, before Firoz could be overpowered. At last realizing that he could not escape, Firoz stabbed himself to death with his own dagger. From the mosque Umar was carried home. When he regained consciousness he asked who was his murderer. He was told that his murderer was the Persian slave Firoz. Thereupon Umar said, "Praise be to God that I have not been murdered by a Muslim".

The physician administered him date cordial and milk. These could not be digested and gushed out of his wounds. That indicated that the wounds were fatal and that he could not survive for long. The people around him praised him for his virtues and sterling qualities. He asked them not to praise him. He said: "All praise is to Allah. If all the treasures of this world were to be at my disposal, I would offer them as a ransom to be saved from the trial at the Day of Judgment."

He then recited the Arabic verse: "I have been unjust to my soul, Except that I am a Muslim, Say my prayers and fast."
After seeking a burial location next to Rasoolillah(SAW) and Abu Bakr(RA) and conveying how to settle his debts with his son Umar(RA) said: "Be moderate in the expenses of my shroud, for verily if there is anything of good with God in my favor, He will give me in exchange what is better than it, and if I have been otherwise, He will strip me of all that I have. And be moderate in the grave that you dig for me, for verily if there be anything of good with God in my favor, He will widen it for me, and if I have been otherwise, He will make it narrow for me to squeeze my body. And let no woman go with my funeral. Praise me not for that which is not in me, for the Lord knows best what I am. Therefore when you carry me to the grave, hasten in your going for if there is anything of good with God in my favor you will speed me to that which is good, and if I have been otherwise, you will cast from your necks an evil that you bear."

Uthman bin Affan (RA)
Uthman(RA) was held captive in his house while he was fasting so he asked his captors for clean water for him to break his fast with. They denied him this and said: 'You will have no more than what has gathered in the garbage over there.' Thus Uthman (RA) did not break his fast. So his wife, Naailah bint Al-Qaraafisah, departed to seek water. Finding a group of people, she asked if they have clean water, so they gave her a small sachet of water and she returned to Uthman (RA) upon the calling of Adhan for Fajr and said: 'This is clean water I brought for you.' Uthman (RA) then looked outside, seeing that the sun had risen, and said: 'I have started the day fasting.' She asked: 'How did you eat, when I have not seen anyone give you any food or water?' She exclaimed this with bewilderment, as it is obliged upon the Muslim to break his fast with food or drink before beginning a new fast. He said: 'I saw the messenger of Allah (SAW). He entered upon me from the roof and he had a water container and said to me: "Oh, Uthman, have they held you captive?'" I said: "Yes.” He said: "Have they denied you water?" I said: "Yes." So he extended the water container out to me and said: "Drink, oh Uthman." And I drank until I was satisfied. Then he (SAW) said: "More." So I drank until I was well fed. He (SAW) then said: "These people will turn against you, so if you wished, fight them and you will claim victory against them, or if you wished, you may leave them, and break your fast with us." So I chose to break my fast with him.

Katheer b. Al-Sult then entered, upon where Uthman (RA) said to him: 'I do not see myself but murdered on this day, oh Katheer.' So Katheer said: 'Allah (SWT) will give you victory over your enemy, oh Amir of the Believers. Did something happen to you today or was something said to you?' Uthman (RA) replied: 'No, but I stayed up late last night and during the time of Suhur (just before sunrise) I fell asleep, and I saw the Messenger of Allah (SAW), Abu Bakr (RA) and Umar (RA), where the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said to me: "Oh Uthman (RA), do not keep us waiting, for we are awaiting you." Uthman (RA) died that day.

After Uthman (RA) was murdered, they searched through his storage and found a small case with a paper in it. On it was written: 'This is the Will of Uthman, in the name of Allah (SWT), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Uthman b. 'Affan bears witness that there is no lord worthy of worship but Allah (SWT), alone, having no partners attributed to him and that Muhammad is his slave and Messenger, and that Paradise is truth, and the Hellfire is truth, and Allah (SWT) brings forth the dwellers of the graves to a day that will without doubt come. Allah (SWT) does not break his appointment. Upon it we live and upon it we die and upon it, by the Will of Allah (SWT), we will be brought forth.'

Ali bin Abi Talib(RA)
On the night Ali b. Abi Talib (ra) was stabbed, Ibn Al-Siyaaj came to him at sunrise to call him to prayer and found him sluggish and lazy, then came to him for a second time and found him the same, then came to him a third time, where Ali awoke and started walking, saying: 'Prepare yourself for death, for it will meet you and do not fear death, even if reached your dwelling place.' When he reached the entrance to the mosque, Abdul-Rahman b. Muljam ran up to him and stabbed him and Ali said: 'By the lord of the Ka'bah, I have won.' As they carried Ali away, he asked: 'What has happened to the one who stabbed me?' They said: 'We took him away.' He said: 'Feed him my food and give him of my drink, so if I were to live, I will decide what to do with him, and if I were to die, then strike him once, not more.'

Ali then entrusted Al-Hassan to wash him (and perform the rituals of burial) and said: 'Do not be excessive in wrapping my body, for the Messenger (saw) said: "Do not be excessive in wrapping (the dead body), for it will be taken away very quickly." Walk quickly, but do not rush nor move slowly, for if there is good awaiting, you will have brought it to me quickly, and if there is evil awaiting, you would remove my weight from off your shoulders more quickly.'

Other Companions (RAA)
When death approached Mu'ath b. Jabal (ra), he said: 'Check if morning has come yet.' And it was said: 'Not yet.' And he continued to ask them until morning came, at which time they informed him that: 'Morning has come.' So he said: 'I seek refuge in Allah (swt) from a night whose morning is in the Hellfire.' Then said: 'Welcome, death, you absent visitor and beloved one who comes at the times of need. Oh Allah (swt), in the past I have feared you, and today I implore you (for Your mercy). Oh Allah (swt), You know that I never did love this world and long life in it to make paths for rivers or to plant trees, rather I loved the thirst on long midsummer days (from fasting) and staying up (praying) the long winter nights, the wrestling with the hours and the crowding of the scholars at the gatherings of remembrance of Allah (swt).'

When death approached Bilal (ra), his wife said: 'How sad this moment is.' And he said: 'No, say: How joyous this moment is. For tomorrow we see the beloved ones, Muhammad (saw) and his companions.'

As for the Mother of the Believers, 'A'ishah (ra), at the time of her death, Abdullah b. 'Abbas came to her and praised her and said: 'Glad tidings, oh wife of the Messenger of Allah (swt), he did not marry anyone before her coming of age other than you, and your innocence was sent down from the sky.' Ibn Al-Zubair (ra) then entered the room after Ibn 'Abbas and she said to him: 'Abdullah b. 'Abbas praised me when I did not wish to hear anyone praise me today. How I wish that I were completely forgotten, wiped out of existence.'

Abu Muslim said: 'I came to Abu Al-Darda' (ra) and found him moaning to himself: 'Is there a man would work himself to such a destruction as mine? Is there a man would work himself to this day of mine? Is there a man who would work himself to this hour of mine?' He then passed away, may Allah (swt) have mercy upon him.'

Salman Al-Farisi cried when death came to him. It was asked: 'What makes you cry?' He said: 'The Messenger of Allah (swt) promised us that whatever we have of excess (wealth), will be similar (on the Day of Judgement) to the excess carriage of a rider, and look at all this excess (wealth) around me.' And it was said: 'There was only his plates and cutlery, a bowl and a wash basin, where their worth was no more than about 10 Dirhams.'

Abu Hurairah (ra) cried on his deathbed and it was asked: 'What makes you cry?' He replied: 'I do not cry for this world of yours, rather I cry over the long journey ahead of me and how few provisions I have with me. I am rising on a runway to Paradise and Hellfire and I do not know which of them it will lead me to.'

It was narrated by Al-Muzni saying: 'I came to Al-Shafi'i during the illness from which he died and said to him: “How was your morning?” He said: “I awoke departing this world, leaving my companions behind, on my way to meet my bad deeds, to drink from the cup of desire (for forgiveness) and to Allah (swt) I proceed. I do not know whether my soul will be sent to Paradise so that I may congratulate it, or to the Hellfire so that I may give my commiserations." He then began saying: "When my heart hardened and the places for escape ran out, I made the escape from myself; Your forgiveness. As my sins towered above me, I compared them to Your forgiveness, my Lord, and found Your forgiveness to be greater. You continue to forgive my sin until now, by Your Graciousness, Mercy and Generosity."'

When Al-Hassan b. Ali (ra) neared death, Al-Hussein (ra) entered the room and said: 'My brother, why are you worried? You are approaching the Messenger of Allah (swt) and Ali b. Abi Talib, and they are your fathers; and Khadijah bint Khuwaylid and Fatimah bint Muhammad, and they are your mothers; and Hamza and Ja'far, and they are your uncles!' He replied: 'My brother, I am approaching something unlike anything I have ever approached before.'

It was also narrated that when Umar b. Abdul-Aziz (ra) became ill, a doctor came to see him and after looking at him he said: 'It seems the man has been fed poison and I cannot say that he is secure from death.' Umar (ra) then raised his sights to the doctor and said: 'Nor can you secure one from death even if he has not taken poison!' The doctor said: 'Have you felt this (poison), oh Amir of the Believers?' He replied: 'Yes, I had known it from the very moment it entered my stomach.' The doctor said: 'You should get treatment for I fear that you may die.' Umar said: 'My Lord is a better choice to go to. By Allah (swt), if I knew that my cure was sitting at the tip of my ear, I would not raise my hand to get it.' And when death came to him, he began crying and it was asked: 'What makes you cry, oh Amir of the Believers? You should be joyous, for Allah (swt) has brought many Sunnahs back to life with you and spread justice through you.' He replied: 'Will I not be made to stand and be questioned regarding these creations? By Allah (swt), I may have been just, but I fear for myself that it will not bear any weight before Allah (swt) until it is scrutinised with its evidences, so how is it with most of our actions?' And he cried profusely, then said: 'Sit me up!' So they sat him up, and he then said: 'I am the one who you ordered, and I fell short, and I am the one who you accounted, and I disobeyed.' Saying this three times, he then said: 'But there is no Lord worthy of worship except Allah (swt).' He then lifted his head, and seemed to be inspecting something keenly. When he was asked regarding this, he said: 'I see green fields,...and they are neither humans nor Jinn.' Then he died.

It was narrated of Haroon Al-Rasheed that he chose the shrouds which he was to be buried in himself and would look at them reciting: 'My wealth has not been of any profit to me. My power has perished from me.'

And it was said that Abdullah b. Al-Mubarak opened his eyes upon his death and recited: 'For the like of this, let the workers work' Then passed away.
It was also narrated of Huthayfah that when death approached him, he said: 'A beloved one has come at a time of need, I will gain nothing from sorrow. Oh Allah (swt), if you know that poverty is more beloved to me than wealth and illness is more beloved to me than health and death is more beloved to me than life, then make death easier for me until I meet you.'

This was their stance and this was their accounting of themselves. They lived in the vast expanses of Allah (swt) earth, treading the path He laid out, following His Messenger (saw), continuously accounting and scrutinising themselves over every matter, big or small, so that when death came to them their reaction was as if they had lived their lives in complete disobedience to Allah (swt). This was due to the intense fear they had of Allah (swt) and how much they desired His mercy and forgiveness. Truly this is how the believer should be, ever watchful, always accounting himself, catching up before time runs out, when sorrow is of no value and regret is useless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A poet said:
"There is no home for a man after death
Except that which he used to build before he died
If he built it with bricks of good deeds
Then the architecture shall come out beautiful
And if he built it with evil
Its architect will fall into ruin"