The role of a wali

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I find myself working/talking with sisters about marriage. I try to explain to them the need of a wali. And as ususal I can always use knowledge to help me provide information.
There are many sisters who do not have the protection of a representative. I am asking for suggestions as to what are the requirements and characterstics that one seeks for a wali.
In some cases these sisters are alone and have none who can represent them. What are the correct rulings in such cases.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalaam walaikum,

I find myself working/talking with sisters about marriage. I try to explain to them the need of a wali. And as usual I can always use knowledge to help me provide information.
There are many sisters who do not have the protection of a representative. I am asking for suggestions as to what are the requirements and characteristics that one seeks for a wali.
In some cases these sisters are alone and have none who can represent them. What are the correct rulings in such cases.

Assalamualikum.
For a born Muslim her father/grandfather/brother/uncle or any man who is blood related to her should be her wali as long as any of them are alive and in still Muslim.

For reverts usually they need to get a Muslim judge to be their wali.,This is done through a lawyer who will prepare the paper work and so on and all you need to do is to get the cop and signature from judge as he gives the permission for you to get married.

It varies from one country to the other.Some Islamic countries follow western rules. Muslims should have enough knowledge on niqah before proceeding with it.Many as far as am concern live their lives in an invalid marriage .

Sheikh Assim al- Hakeem talks about Wali

Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

The video was excellent.

There are many sisters who are alone; they cannot for many reasons find a Muslim judge. I know in the States there are court approved Muslim men who can perform the nika. In most States you have to have both a civil and a religious ceremony for it to be approved. The couple still has to go through blood testing etc. Thus the marriages are valid and legal.

But my question continues..if a woman is unable to find a Muslim judge..an imam..what are her options. There are cases wherein the sister has to make a decision by herself.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalaam walaikum,

The video was excellent.

There are many sisters who are alone; they cannot for many reasons find a Muslim judge. I know in the States there are court approved Muslim men who can perform the nika. In most States you have to have both a civil and a religious ceremony for it to be approved. The couple still has to go through blood testing etc. Thus the marriages are valid and legal.

But my question continues..if a woman is unable to find a Muslim judge..an imam..what are her options. There are cases wherein the sister has to make a decision by herself.

Well sister,of course the decision is hers yet to have a Muslim
marriage a woman must have wali.If she doesn't have a wali especially for revert sisters,they should try to get a Judge.This option is available in Singapore and Malaysia but am not sure about other countries.If they cannot find judge I am not sure what options they have.Some sisters told me that they have an imam or any higher authority from a mosque.

A marriage is invalid if they get married the western way and not the Muslim way where wali,witness and mahar are involved.

I know many people get married the western way and they think their marriage is valid but this is wrong.

HIV test is obligatory for a Muslim marriage in Malaysia.

The best way is,to get married after consulting an imam.They will tell you what you need to do in order to get married.If there is no wali at all,they will arrange something in sha Allah.

Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum :)

Ashima33

About a year ago when I was in "talks" with a brother his mom (who's Pakistani) freaked out and got really offended when I referred to one of my elders as my wali. She said she had never heard of it in the context I was using it and told me to never say it again.

I didn't say it, but was thinking, "Psh.... WHATEV!!!!!!"

guess it's good that didn't work out.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
If there is a Muslim with some authority in your area over the affairs of the Muslim community, then he can act in this capacity, based on the Prophet's (peace be upon him) hadeeth:

"No marriage contract can be concluded without the presence of a Wali. A Sultan (authority figure) can act as a Wali for those without one." (see Ibn Majah and Imam Ahmad, Hadith number 1880; also in Salih al-Jaami', hadeeth number 7556.)

If there is no authoritative Muslim person, then one should refer to the community Muslim leader or any Muslim who is just ('aadil), respected, and of high character, such as the director of the Islamic center or its imam, to conclude the marriage contract of this sister, with her consent.
islamqa

revert2007

Love Fishing
About a year ago when I was in "talks" with a brother his mom (who's Pakistani) freaked out and got really offended when I referred to one of my elders as my wali. She said she had never heard of it in the context I was using it and told me to never say it again.

A non Muslim man cannot be a wali.Perhaps that is the reason she got freaked out :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am doing everything but what I need to be doing. Sister you have made my day. I needed a word to describe to non-Muslims what we do..and "Talks" is it.
Talks captures it all. We don't date. We don't go out and eat. We don't stroll down the park holding hands. We don't get the candy and flowers. We don't even get the movies and popcorn. We get the talks.
I love the fact you used the plural. We get the talks from all the folks.

I know the meaning of the expression here " I'm talking to" meaning this is my girlfriend/boyfriend but 'talks" is so very Muslim.

Thanks..I'm still smiling..we do the talks.

kayleigh

That's weird... was the elder Muslim? If so then there's nothing to be offended about.

and, I don't know, I always figured I'd do all the work myself and when the time came I'd get the imam to be my wali or some random guy from the community lol, just for official reasons. I never really worried about it or gave it much though.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister Kayleigh...you said the right thing. We don't take time to think of the role of the wali.

But there is a need for a responsible and trustworth Muslim male to ask specific questions. To put it simply you want to make sure that the female is not married off to a maniac. The wali can do a simple background check. The wali can ask questions which protect the welfare the bride to be. Someone who has the brides back. ( sorry for the poor choice of words).

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister Kayleigh...you said the right thing. We don't take time to think of the role of the wali.

But there is a need for a responsible and trustworth Muslim male to ask specific questions. To put it simply you want to make sure that the female is not married off to a maniac. The wali can do a simple background check. The wali can ask questions which protect the welfare the bride to be. Someone who has the brides back. ( sorry for the poor choice of words).

Assalamualikum.That is very true.When my hubby proposed me,he went through many interviews lol.I am a revert and at that time i wasn't aware of shiahs .Alhamdulilah they told me about shiahs and alhamdulilah my hubby is sunni Muslim :).
Even if there is no wali to do a background check,any Muslim people that are close to you can do this checking.

Besides the checking thing,my hubby and I did the whole marriage process by ourselves and with some help from others.My advice,don't get married in malaysia :D

Assalamualikum :)