The saying "do not thank me, just make dua for me" is incorrect

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
The saying "do not thank me, just make dua for me" is incorrect

Many times when a Muslim does a favor for another Muslim the one receiving the favor will thank them, so they will reply by saying, "do not thank me just make dua for me." The Scholars have explained that this is not correct

The following is a summary translation taken from the website of Shaikh Saalih al-Fawzan (hafidhahullaah):

Shaikh Fawzan said, (in his book Highlights of the religious verdicts of Shaikh-ul Islam Ibn Taymiyaah in the creed) that Shaikh-ul Islam Ibn Taymiyaah (rahimahullaah) said:

And from the manners of the one who gives to others or spends upon others is that they should not seek a favor based on what they have given, nor should they seek a reward from the creation based upon what they have given. And from the rewards is to request supplication (dua).

Allah says about those He has commended: "we only feed you seeking the Face of Allaah; we do not want from you any reward or any thanks." (Al-Insan, 76:9)

And supplication is a reward, as comes in the Hadith, whoever does a favor for you then return the favor to them; and if you are not able to find anything to return the favor with, then supplicate for them until you know that your supplication has equaled their favor.

And A`isha (radiallaahu anha), when she would send out charity, she would say to the one delivering the charity for her, "listen to the supplication that they make for us, so that you can make the same supplication for them that they made for us and therefore our reward can remain with Allaah."

Some of the pious predecessors would say, if a beggar says to you: "may Allah bless you," then say to them, "and may Allah bless you as well."

Therefore, whoever does well to the creation, whether they are from the Prophets, or righteous people, or a king or a rich person; then this good must be done sincerely for the Face of Allaah, only seeking the Face of Allaah. And they should not request from the creation any reward, or supplication or anything else; not from a Prophet nor from a righteous man because Allaah has commanded His slaves, all of them to worship Him making the worship sincerely for Him alone.

Abu Imad Rasheed Ibn Gant
www.calgaryislam.com

strive-may-i

Hadees, on thanking people

:salam2:
nice :)

I used to do it. I say thanks to others, but also say no thanks, when they thank me!. But after listening to a Hadees, I have stopped. Its rude not to accept a thanks from others, I also deny what I want for myself, I realized.

Prophet :saw: said "He who doesn't thank the people, hasn't thanked Allah." (Abu Dawud Book 36, Number 4793)

friend263

Assalamualaikum warehmattullahi wa barakatahu.

I am sorry but im confused?? Can any one please explain this thread more deeply and clearly..

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
From my understanding, its simple. We should do acts of kindness for the sake of Allah, not even expecting a thanks. But if we do get a thanks from others and they ask what can we do for you in return, you should just say nothing. Dont even ask them to make dua for you because then u are asking for reward and not doing it for the sake of Allah. But if they make a dua for you at that moment without you asking, you should wish the same upon them. Does that make sense??!

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Basically it is saying that we should not do things or deeds for others expecting something in return. We shouldn't do something expecting some reward from them. You shouldn't be nice to other expecting them to do something for you in return, or give something expecting something in return.

A student may help another student out in homework or notes and expect same kind of help back in the future. You cover a co-worker's shift or task and expect him to do the same for you later. You go to a party and take a gift for them and when you invite them you expect them to bring something of equal value as well. Our actions are based on wanting something back in return.

All this is wrong, our actions should be for sake of Allah and His pleasure. We should not seek reward from others for the deeds we do. When someone helps you and you thank them, they say don't thank but just make dua for me or remember me in your dua. This asking of a dua in return for their deed is the same as other examples above, you are asking a reward from others for your deed. And we should not say that. That is what it's saying. hope that makes senses?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Not too long ago there was a thread that explained this very well.

Dua is worship. It is very intimate. It is deep. It places the slave in the correct position when addressing the Master.

When we give a gift or zakat..that is nowhere near the position of the slave and Master. It is slave interacting with slave. It is not the same as worship.