The Spoon in the Plate

hassana elkoussi

The Spoon in the Plate​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abandoning something for the sake of Allah

The great scholar and historian, Shaikh Muhammad Raghib At-Tabbakh, rahimahullah, mentioned the following story in his book “I’lam an-Nubala bi-Tarikh Halab ash-Shuhaba” (7/231):

“Shaikh Ibrahim Al-Hilali Al-Halabi – a pious and noble scholar – travelled to Al-Azhar University in search of knowledge. While seeking knowledge, he became very poor and used to rely on charity. One time, several days passed by and he did not find anything to eat, so he became extremely hungry.

So he came out of his room in Al-Azhar to ask for some scraps of food. He found an open door from which a pleasant smell of food was coming from. So he entered the door and found himself in a kitchen with no one around. There he found some tempting food, so he grabbed a spoon and dipped it in, but when he lifted it to his mouth, he held himself back from eating it, since he realized that he had not been given permission to eat from it. So he left it and returned to his room in the dormitory of Al-Azhar, still hungry and starving.

But no less than an hour passed by, when one of his teachers, accompanied by another man, came into his room. And his teacher said to him: ‘This noble man came to me seeking a righteous student of knowledge to choose for marrying his daughter, and I have chosen you for him. So rise and come with us to his home where we can complete the marriage contract between you and his daughter and you can become part of his household.’

So Shaikh Ibrahim struggled to get to his feet, obeying the command of his teacher and went with them. And behold they took him to the very same house he had been to, and which he had entered and dipped the spoon into the food!

So when he sat down, the girl’s father married her to him and the food was brought out. It was the same food he had put the spoon into before and which he abandoned. But now he ate from it and said to himself: ‘I withheld from eating it when I had no permission, but now Allah has given me this food with permission.’
Afterward, this righteous wife went back with him to Halab, after he had finished his studies. And she bore righteous children for him.”

So this is the fruit of patience and this is the result of having taqwa, as Allah says:

“And whoever has Taqwa of Allah, He will make a way out for him (from hardship), and He will provide for Him from places He never imagined
.” [Surah At-Talaq: 2-3]

But as for those who are hasty – those who do not distinguish between the truth and falsehood, seeking after the transitory vanities of this worldly life – they will never experience anything but grief and sorrow in their hearts, for they will never attain the worldly life nor will they ever achieve Religion.

This is because they forget – or perhaps neglect – the saying of Allah: “Is not Allah sufficient for His servant?” [Surah Az-Zumar: 36]

As for those who are patient and firm and who have Taqwa, they will gain ascendancy in this life and glory and honor with their Lord on the Day of Judgement. And Allah says: “So give the glad tidings to the patient ones.” [Surah Al-Baqarah: 155] And He says: “Verily, the patient ones will be given their reward without any reckoning.”Surah Az-Zumar: 10]

:salam2: