The whole world has gone mad

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Read and decide for yourselves:

Anatomist sells body parts online
By Michelle Martin

BERLIN (Reuters) - Gunther von Hagens, a German anatomist famous for his controversial Body World exhibition displaying plastinated bodies, is now selling human and animal body parts -- even as jewelry -- online.

The move has provoked strong condemnation from German churches which accuse him of degrading human dignity.

A whole body from www.plastination-products.com costs about 70,000 euros ($97,400), torsos start at 55,644 euros and heads come in at around 22,000 euros each -- excluding postage and packaging.

For those on a tighter budget, transparent body slices are available from 115 euros each.

But these real body parts -- which have undergone plastination, a process which replaces water and fat with plastic for preservation purposes -- are not available to everyone.

Only "qualified users" who can provide written proof that they intend to use the parts for research, teaching or medical purposes can place an order.

Interested parties who do not fall into this category can buy reproductions of the real body parts -- so-called "Anatomy Glass," which the shop's website describes as "high resolution acrylic glass prints of the original body slices."

Jewelry crafted from animal corpses, including necklaces made from horse slices, wristbands made from giraffe tails and earrings made from bull penises, is also available to the general public.

The online shop has outraged leading members of Germany's religious community. In a joint statement, Protestant regional bishop Ulrich Fischer and Catholic archbishop Robert Zollitsch condemned the online body shop, which they said was "breaking a taboo."

Zollitsch said "human dignity is sacrosanct -- even after death -- so the human body shouldn't be degraded and made into an object of spectacle, or a stock of spare parts."

They said that "Germany must not be allowed to become a hub of the corpse trade."

Von Hagens, 65, is no stranger to controversy. A public autopsy he performed in front of a live audience in 2002 was televised and caused a public outrage, as did his 2004 tour through Germany with his Body Worlds exhibitions.

(Editing by Steve Addison)
http://us.mobile.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE69L3G420101022?ca=rdt

ProudToBeaMuslim

Why is it that this outrages only the "religious" community? Has the world become so blind that even the violation of core human decency is only for the religious people to condemn? Doesn't this disgust the average ignorant man anymore?

JenGiove

I would like to clean some things up....please reread the fact that ONLY certain people can purchase...those people who are doing research or teaching. Everyone else has to buy FAKE "body parts" made from glass. Second, those bodies are donated, BY the deceased, for this use. Personally, when the exhibit came through Boston, I desperately wanted to go see it. How else are we to study the human body if not through visual hands-on research. I understand full well that this goes against EVERY teaching and belief in Islam, but somebody has to be the scientist. Without works such as this, we would never be able to find cures for diseases like cancer or, in my own case, vascular malformations in the brain.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

It is not Muslims who are outraged. In the article it is the various denominations of Christians who are outraged.

Another article I read spoke of the bodies as being readily available from unclaimed bodies at the morgue. I do not know but it seems to make sense.

Would I personally go to view this. No. Is this in the interest of science...maybe.

JenGiove

Salaam,

It is not Muslims who are outraged. In the article it is the various denominations of Christians who are outraged.

Another article I read spoke of the bodies as being readily available from unclaimed bodies at the morgue. I do not know but it seems to make sense.

Would I personally go to view this. No. Is this in the interest of science...maybe.

I will agree that the exhibit is got a certain "morbid-ness" to it and can be hard to view by some, but I have always been fascinated by science because it always seemed to magnify the awesome power of Creator and his ingenious nature and imagination. To imagine what it would be like to have the capacity to think of every minute detail is staggering and baffling and intriguing! Every time I "discover" a connection between me and the world around me, I am awe struck at Creator.

ProudToBeaMuslim

Walaikumussalam wa rahmatullah

I was disturbed by the fact that Jewellery has been made out of these Body parts. If it was for research as claimed, why make jewellery out of them?
It just seems really crude. Dissection of body parts for medical students is permissible according to one opinion I've heard from a scholar.
But the fact that the actual body parts of human beings can be worn around one's neck as an adornment...it's just, invoking all of my natural fitra against evil.

And I did realize that the religious groups are Christian. I was just dismayed by the fact that the inability of people to distinguish between basic Good and Evi has reached such tremendous level, that only the people who separate
themselves as the "God conscious" elite, can criticize something like this.
I mean, even an atheist should be disgusted by something like this. But the article only seems to indicate the disapproval of the religious.

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Aliakum,

Correct me if im wrong...

when people apply for their drivers license they ask you if you ever get into a car accident and "death knocks your door", do you give consent for your body parts to be donated either to help other people who need certain organs or for medical research. Therefore, most people whose bodies are being displayed do give consent and the other bodies used are usually bodies of those whose identities are unknown and they are unable to be identified by anyone.

Personally, i do find it outrageous for a creation of allah to be displayed in such a manner, however, as a medical student it does help us ilmiyen(education wise). we do often need to look at a body and be fimiliar with different parts of the body and be able to perform research on them. And as future doctors it does play a great role in developing our understanding of the human body.

Moreover, i do disagree and i am fully against the selling of body parts as jewelry. Jewlery does not benifit us at all and it does not make us who we are, therefore, wearing an animal or human part around your neck or wrist is utterly preposterous...:astag:

JenGiove

I was disturbed by the fact that Jewellery has been made out of these Body parts. If it was for research as claimed, why make jewellery out of them?

PLEASE reread the article again:

But these real body parts -- which have undergone plastination, a process which replaces water and fat with plastic for preservation purposes -- are not available to everyone.

Only "qualified users" who can provide written proof that they intend to use the parts for research, teaching or medical purposes can place an order.

Interested parties who do not fall into this category can buy reproductions of the real body parts -- so-called "Anatomy Glass," which the shop's website describes as "high resolution acrylic glass prints of the original body slices."

People are not walking around wearing REAL body parts....

ProudToBeaMuslim

PLEASE reread the article again:

People are not walking around wearing REAL body parts....

Thankyou for pointing those out. I was distracted by the last sentance of the first para. And also by the 8th para [sorry, the device I am using doesn't allow easy multi-quoting]. They seem to indicate something unacceptable.
However, the bottom line from an Islamic perspective is : One cannot violate a dead body, unless certain conditions are met. The conditions are given in the link above.

JenGiove

Not a problem about pointing out that section.

I noticed that the Fatwah said that only women can dissect women. Does this mean that male doctors do not know the anatomy of women?? How is surgery done? How can you become a DOCTOR if you don't know the human body!?

Someone, PLEEEEASE help me understand this...

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
:wasalam:

NO COMMENTS..

JUST FEELING LIKE FAINTING AND DEVELOPING A HEAD ACHE :SMILY26:

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts: