This kinda made me laugh.

Annox

Hello,

I am a very tolerant person; even when it comes to religious people. I respect them, and I always listen to what they have to say. However, I don't understand why religious people are remarkably intolerant of us atheists.

Here is the story:

I live next to a really nice lady. She is in her 80's and she is Muslim. She is very kind and I try to take care of her as much as I can. I like to think we are pretty good friends. She lives by herself, and her relatives live very far away so I from time to time, I cook her food, pick up her medicine and such. As a thanks, she even invited me over for a few iftars.(I may have spelled that wrong) and she takes care of my daughter sometimes. I am a single father with a two year old daughter and I'm also in graduate school, (I'm getting my P.H.D in Psychology) so taking care of her can get stressful sometimes.

Last night, I went to visit my neighbor because I was invited to a dinner. The occasion was that her nephew came to visit her. I'm naturally an extrovert person so her nephew and I got along great......or so I thought we did.

The conversation started off talking about psychology. The conversation started off great but then quickly escalated to the topic of God.

I knew at this point I was on thin ice, because such topics is usually pretty controversial. He asked me what I believed in. I answered that I was an atheist.

He didn't like that very much.

He started to get a tone with me and started to ask very personal questions, such as how I can possibly be a good father, when I have no faith.

Of course I didn't like THAT very much.

So I calmly explained to him my reasons and presented my arguments, but he really didn't want to hear it. Instead he resorted to call me "Dajjal," which I believe is the Islamic version of an anti-christ? I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter.

You can probably imagine the night didn't exactly last a long time. Which was a good thing I guess, I had class the next morning, and my daughter needed to sleep.

Though I have a positive and an accurate view on Islam from my past research, which most Americans lack, I must say, I was pretty dissapointed with his intolerance, but it did give me a good laugh. I mean I've experienced this sort of behaviors before from all theists. It's not anything new, but I still don't really understand as to why it is the way it is.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

palestine

Servant of Allah
well he is his own person. what he did is from his own. if he wanted to talk to about religion the way to do is not to give a tone but rather to talk kindly and follow the commands of allah. his from another country i'm guessing so maybe he doesn't like anyone outside of his race/faith. but anyhow as a muslim he should've been kinder and wiser. but he wasn't- his choice. as for the story dear annox i really don't see why or how it's funny. but being an athiest doesnt make you a bad father, there are good and bad people in every culture/faith- so being an athiest father may have some effect if that allows drinking and clubbing but the choice you make is your choice. but what you've done was kind, helping her out. thanks. peace.

Almeftah

Dear Annox;

As you may know or have noticed, Some people would take you as an enemy even if you liked something they dont like, such as extreme football fans. This kind of behavior is mostly common between ignorant extremist ppl.

Many of those who try to spread thier thoughts or believes don't have the experience on how to get through ppl and may let thier anger control them..etc.

Thats why we'v been having those mental religious wars between different religions and unable to reach a level of understanding. Wherever you see ppl trying to correct things there are others who are just making things worse without knowing it. those kind of ppl existed in all times, in every religion, and of every race.

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
As you may know or have noticed, Some people would take you as an enemy even if you liked something they dont like, such as extreme football fans. This kind of behavior is mostly common between ignorant extremist ppl.

Many of those who try to spread thier thoughts or believes don't have the experience on how to get through ppl and may let thier anger control them..etc.

Thats why we'v been having those mental religious wars between different religions and unable to reach a level of understanding. Wherever you see ppl trying to correct things there are others who are just making things worse without knowing it. those kind of ppl existed in all times, in every religion, and of every race.

Dear Annox,

I agree with brother Bo Meshary...this is a typical response from an ignorant muslim - and I'm sure that you will find many of them...so, don't let this kind of attitude deter you from your search.

Annox

well he is his own person. what he did is from his own. if he wanted to talk to about religion the way to do is not to give a tone but rather to talk kindly and follow the commands of allah. his from another country i'm guessing so maybe he doesn't like anyone outside of his race/faith. but anyhow as a muslim he should've been kinder and wiser. but he wasn't- his choice. as for the story dear annox i really don't see why or how it's funny. but being an athiest doesnt make you a bad father, there are good and bad people in every culture/faith- so being an athiest father may have some effect if that allows drinking and clubbing but the choice you make is your choice. but what you've done was kind, helping her out. thanks. peace.

Well, anyone can go drinking and clubbing. I don't think that being a Muslim can really completely halt anyone from doing such things. I've known Muslims who drink, do drugs and fornicate-all of which are banned in Islam as I know. So a Muslim is just as any other person, I think the only difference is that they have more of a reason to not commit such acts. A person can always make that choice.

oh and I thought it was funny because of his reaction. I don't hold his behavior against all Muslims; that would be unreasonable as well as ludicrous.

Annox

Dear Annox;

Agreed :)

I know that there are people always on the very right side and on the very left side. I suspect it's an ego thing.

abu.ali.kz

..."Dajjal," which I believe is the Islamic version of an anti-christ? ...

You are quite right!

He started to get a tone with me and started to ask very personal questions, such as how I can possibly be a good father, when I have no faith.

Of course I didn't like THAT very much.

So I calmly explained to him my reasons and presented my arguments, but he really didn't want to hear it. Instead he resorted to call me "Dajjal," which I believe is the Islamic version of an anti-christ? I'm not sure, but it doesn't matter.

You can probably imagine the night didn't exactly last a long time. Which was a good thing I guess, I had class the next morning, and my daughter needed to sleep.

Though I have a positive and an accurate view on Islam from my past research, which most Americans lack, I must say, I was pretty dissapointed with his intolerance, but it did give me a good laugh. I mean I've experienced this sort of behaviors before from all theists. It's not anything new, but I still don't really understand as to why it is the way it is.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
What a sad story... I'm really sorry, I wish that never happened

tarannumsamir

hope this helps u understand islam better,inshallah.

VAST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ISLAM AND THE ACTUAL PRACTICE OF MUSLIMS

Question:
If Islam is the best religion, why are many of the Muslims dishonest, unreliable, and involved in activities such as cheating, bribing, dealing in drugs, etc.?
Answer:

Media maligns Islam
a. Islam is without doubt the best religion but the media is in the hands of the westerners who are afraid of Islam. The media is continuously broadcasting and printing information against Islam. They either provide misinformation about Islam, misquote Islam or project a point out of proportion, if any.
b. When any bomb blasts take place anywhere, the first people to be accused without proof are invariably the Muslims. This appears as headlines in the news. Later, when they find that non-Muslims were responsible, it appears as an insignificant news’ item.
c. If a 50 year old Muslim marries a 15 year old girl after taking her permission, it appears on the front page but when a 50 year old non-Muslim rapes a 6 year old girl, it may appear in the news in the inside pages as ‘Newsbriefs’. Everyday in America on an average 2,713 cases of rape take place but it doesn’t appear in the news, since it has become a way of life for the Americans.

Black sheep in every community:
I am aware that there are some Muslims who are dishonest, unreliable, who cheat, etc. but the media projects this as though only Muslims are involved in such activities. There are black sheep in every community. I know Muslims who are alcoholics and who can drink most of the non-Muslims under the table.

Muslims best as a whole:
Inspite of all the black sheep in the Muslim community, Muslims taken on the whole, yet form the best community in the world. We are the biggest community of tee-totallers as a whole, i.e. those who don’t imbibe alcohol. Collectively, we are a community which gives the maximum charity in the world. There is not a single person in the world who can even show a candle to the Muslims where modesty is concerned; where sobriety is concerned; where human values and ethics are concerned.

Don’t judge a car by its driver:If you want to judge how good is the latest model of the "Mercedes" car and a person who does not know how to drive sits at the steering wheel and bangs up the car, who will you blame? The car or the driver? But naturally, the driver. To analyze how good the car is, a person should not look at the driver but see the ability and features of the car. How fast is it, what is its average fuel consumption, what are the safety measures, etc. Even if I agree for the sake of argument that the Muslims are bad, we can’t judge Islam by its followers? If you want to judge how good Islam is then judge it according to its authentic sources, i.e. the Glorious Qur’an and the Sahih Hadith.

Judge Islam by its best follower i.e. Prophet Mohammed (pbuh):
If you practically want to check how good a car is put an expert driver behind the steering wheel. Similarly the best and the most exemplary follower of Islam by whom you can check how good Islam is, is the last and final messenger of God, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Besides Muslims, there are several honest and unbiased non-Muslim historians who have acclaimed that prophet Muhammad was the best human being. According to Michael H. Hart who wrote the book, ‘The Hundred Most Influential Men in History’, the topmost position, i.e. the number one position goes to the beloved prophet of Islam, Muhammad (pbuh). There are several such examples of non-Muslims paying great tributes to the prophet, like Thomas Carlyle, La-Martine, etc.

by dr.zakir.naik.

jaffarabduraheem

Not afraid of you.
I think I can somewhat relate.

As a former atheist myself I definitely understand how you feel Annox. My best guess at why people act this way is that when they feel like they're backed into a corner they get defensive, which often comes off as being offensive.

As for Muslims who drink and do drugs and other things that are forbidden in Islam. I think it useful to note that Islam is not a religion in the modern sense of the word, but a deen. The word deen could be translates to be, way of doing things, or verb, or something like that. Like a person who doesn't jump isn't a jumper, a person who doesn't do Islam isn't Muslim. Please don't mistake me for claiming others as being non-Muslim, this is all my own understanding and Allah is the best knower.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Please forgive us for the poor manners exhibited by our brohter. Now, question for you what made you come here. I am very excited. How did you find out about us.
I must admire you for taking on the responsibility of graduate school and fatherhood. Your daughter must be very lucky.

Hello Annox,

Religion is a sensitive topic, but it's important to talk about it occassionally if not every day under the most polite manners. I'm sure the brother did not intend it that way and was probably not congnizant of your feelings nor showed any empathy.

However, I'm glad you joined our global family. We try to mirror and personify the best image and character possible from our beloved Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, who was sent as a mercy to mankind and a model for all human beings to follow. The members here are knowledgeable, sensitive, and equipped with high etiquettes.

I'd like to present you an interesting article by Dr. Zakir Naik, who is a prominent Islamic scholar. Here is an excerpt of his article:

Congratulating an Athiest

Normally, when I meet an atheist, the first thing I like to do is to congratulate him and say, " My special congratulations to you", because most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief - he is a Christian, because his father is a Christian; he is a Hindu, because his father is a Hindu; the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God; what ever concept or qualities of God he may have learnt in his religion may not seem to be logical to him.

My Muslim brothers may question me, "Zakir, why are you congratulating an atheist?" The reason that I am congratulating an atheist is because he agrees with the first part of the Shahada i.e. the Islamic Creed, ‘La ilaaha’ - meaning ‘there is no God’. So half my job is already done; now the only part left is ‘il lallah’ i.e. ‘BUT ALLAH’ which I shall do Insha Allah. With others (who are not atheists) I have to first remove from their minds the wrong concept of God they may have and then put the correct concept of one true God.

I thank you for being open minded person. Stick around TTI. There are other athiest on this forum. You can learn from many diverse and interesting topics. Your inputs & contributions will be appreciated.

salahdin

Hallo annox and welcome to this wonderful site . Dont let this man change the positive and accurate view on Islam that you had from your past research, which as you said most Americans lack. Our beloved prophet(peace be upon him) said

"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever is not kind has no faith." (Muslim)

He also said

"Whoever is kind, Allah will be kind to him; therefore be kind to man on the earth. He Who is in heaven will show mercy on you."(Abu Daud: Tirmidhi)

and last but not the least he also said

"Verily, it is one of the respects to Allah to honor an old man." (Bukhari)

One important thing our beloved prophet (peace be upon him) recomended us muslim is to seek knowledge. When you do that you will find what true islam stands for and your eyes will open to whole new things. By the way helping that old woman is what islam recommends (be good to your neighbors)and may ALLAH (AZA WA JALLAH) reward you for what you are doing and guide you to the straight path. hope to hear from you.

"Acquire knowledge, it enables its professor to distinguish right from wrong; it lights the way to heaven. It is our friend in the desert, our company in solitude and companion when friendless. It guides us to happiness, it sustains us in misery, it is an ornament amongst friends and an armour against enemies." (widely attributed to the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh)

Annox

Salaam,

Please forgive us for the poor manners exhibited by our brohter. Now, question for you what made you come here. I am very excited. How did you find out about us.
I must admire you for taking on the responsibility of graduate school and fatherhood. Your daughter must be very lucky.

Thank you, I'm flattered. I actually found out about this site through some Muslim friends of mine. They were kinda pushing me to convert and after I got in an argument with them about religion, I debunked all of their arguments. As a last resort, they recommend me to this website. Being a very open minded person, I decided to take the bait. I'm certainly willing to admit I'm wrong, if proven so. That's why I'm here.

Annox

Hello Annox,

Religion is a sensitive topic, but it's important to talk about it occassionally if not every day under the most polite manners. I'm sure the brother did not intend it that way and was probably not congnizant of your feelings nor showed any empathy.

However, I'm glad you joined our global family. We try to mirror and personify the best image and character possible from our beloved Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, who was sent as a mercy to mankind and a model for all human beings to follow. The members here are knowledgeable, sensitive, and equipped with high etiquettes.

I'd like to present you an interesting article by Dr. Zakir Naik, who is a prominent Islamic scholar. Here is an excerpt of his article:

Congratulating an Athiest

I thank you for being open minded person. Stick around TTI. There are other athiest on this forum. You can learn from many diverse and interesting topics. Your inputs & contributions will be appreciated.

Yes, I've read his article and seen a video of that article many times. Thank you for re-posting:)

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

I would like to direct you to three threads:

Firstly:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2521

Secondly:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38089

Thirdly:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38660

The first is basically is about the Belief that all Muslims must affirm - Allah, The Angels, Jinn & Devils, The Messengers and the Messages, The Final Day and Divine Will and Predestination. It is by a Noble Scholar of the Muslim community, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih Uthaymeen, posted by a respected member of this board.

The second is similar too the first, but it is only Belief in Allah and it is in-complete but i found it very beneficial and there is a particular section i haven't completed:

Evidence of the Existence of the Creator

With its relevant sub-topics, i suggest this as a purchase, as it is a book in the form of a heart in the sense that the contents reflect a Muslim's heart who is aware of His Lord - i hope this makes sense.

The third you will find helpful, it is a Glossary of Islaamic terms which you may see used a lot. The ones i have mentioned should be in the PDF enclosed in that thread, so you can get accustomed to the words many users may use - Jinn, Shaykh etc - you will find them in there.

Again, i Welcome you sincerely to the Forum and i hope you benefit well.

I hope this isn't an overload of information?

Just to clarify, i did read your initial post, but what i would have said as already been sort of stated.

Peace. :SMILY259:

Annox

Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

I would like to direct you to three threads:

Firstly:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2521

Secondly:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38089

Thirdly:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38660

The first is basically is about the Belief that all Muslims must affirm - Allah, The Angels, Jinn & Devils, The Messengers and the Messages, The Final Day and Divine Will and Predestination. It is by a Noble Scholar of the Muslim community, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih Uthaymeen, posted by a respected member of this board.

The second is similar too the first, but it is only Belief in Allah and it is in-complete but i found it very beneficial and there is a particular section i haven't completed:

Evidence of the Existence of the Creator

With its relevant sub-topics, i suggest this as a purchase, as it is a book in the form of a heart in the sense that the contents reflect a Muslim's heart who is aware of His Lord - i hope this makes sense.

The third you will find helpful, it is a Glossary of Islaamic terms which you may see used a lot. The ones i have mentioned should be in the PDF enclosed in that thread, so you can get accustomed to the words many users may use - Jinn, Shaykh etc - you will find them in there.

Again, i Welcome you sincerely to the Forum and i hope you benefit well.

I hope this isn't an overload of information?

Just to clarify, i did read your initial post, but what i would have said as already been sort of stated.

Peace. :SMILY259:

LOL yes this is an overwhelming amount of information, but nonetheless I'll look at it. Thank You :)

kayleigh

I find it incredibly rude and inappropriate to make remarks about your parenting skills, along with any other insults he threw at you. I'm sorry you had that unpleasant experience.

and I'm with mirajmom - I think it's admirable that you're a single father, and that you help out your neighbor.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
LOL yes this is an overwhelming amount of information, but nonetheless I'll look at it. Thank You :)

I feel kinda stupid now, but don't dive straight in, because you will get sucked up and then you won't be able to get out.

Just manage what you can.

And, Your Welcome.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Hello Annox...

As I read that experience you had..a verse from the Qura'an crossed my mind...it says:

It is part of the Mercy of Allah that thou dost deal gently with them Wert thou severe or harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about thee. ~*~Al-Imran:159~*~

And truly..at times I wonder at how many potential brothers and sisters or supporters of Islam we have lost due to people's harsh attitudes or wicked characters.

In Arabic we usually say...*The deen (Islam) is treatment/character*

it's that simple...

I am saddened by these characters who will sit there and think they're being devoted Muslims by attacking others and looking down upon them...

I can go on and on and on and on about this matter...and the issue of some Muslims making Da'awa so systematic..I really wouldn't be surprised if 10 years down the road we have Muslim brothers riding bicycles like Mormons or knocking doors like Jehova's Witnesses...in the attempt to *convert* people!..

I do not wish to take the topic off track however...so perhaps it's better that I leave you..Annox..and the Muslim brothers and sisters with these verses as a reminder to never cross the line with ANYBODY..especially the line of faith and belief...

"Our Lord is He Who gave to each (created) thing its form and nature, and further, gave (it) guidance." ~*~Ta-Ha:50~*~

For Allah guides whom He will to a path that is straight.~*~Al-
Baqara:213~*~

Allah guides those whom He will and He knows best those who receive guidance.~*~Al-Qisas:56~*~

It is not required of thee to set them on the right path, but Allah sets on the right path whom He pleaseth. ~*~Al-Baqara:272

If it were Allah.s will, He could gather them together unto true guidance: so be not thou amongst those who are swayed by ignorance (and impatience)!~*~Al-Ana'am:35

These are just a few verses which speak of guidance that is a property of Allah alone...we are only to answer questions...clarify information...and help should we be *ASKED* for it...but we need to leave the issue of guidance to Allah..FIRST AND FOREMOST...

As for the man who spoke to you that night..I wish he could read this verse...and think about it deeply for a minute or two..

If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe!~*~Jonah:99~*~

Then he would think..not once or twice...but..THRICE..about each word he wants to utter!!!

~*~Lord do not condemn us for (that which) the insolent amongst us have committed~*~

I wish you the best Annox!