to my history teacher, re: Islam spread by the sword

:salam2:

I was in school when I was younger, in the USA. During my high school, the subject was taught by the history teacher, that Islam was spread by the sword.

at the time, I objected to what she said. but I didn't have any wisdom as to explain in a proper manner, all I said is that is not true. Now, that I am older and have educated myself about Islam with the blessing of Allah, I have a response, but its too late. But maybe it would benefit some younger students.

Had I politely raised my hand and mentioned these to her:

• I am a student in your class, if I don't want to listen to what you say, then I will lose out in the class. Is that right? Will it cause any problems for you and the class?
  • Now how about if I don't want to listen to what you say and prevent all the other students in the class from hearing your speech. What will be the proper thing to do? Lets say I physically continue. Will there need to be force to remove the disturbance (which is me preventing the class)?

So when the Muslims come with the message to all those areas that were forced to submit to kings and clergy. Would it not be just to remove them from preventing the guidance. Then if individual people don't accept it is not a problem, as in my question/scenario above it will be there loss. So how was Islam spread by the sword, if people were allowed to practice their beliefs and till today they lived generation after generation in muslim areas.

:wasalam:

stargazer

Clear Skies!
They are just jealous that islam has become the most dominant religion on the face of the earth.

Today, the age of science and technology, the fastest growing religion in the world is islam including the United States and the United Kingdom and we know that the west is having all the resources, technology and military might. So which Muslim army is forcing the people from the west to embrace islam. The answer is there is none.

The fact that islam is the growing in this modern world without the power of sword is enough to realize that in the past also it had not been any different. Islam is growing because it is the truth!

Rashadi

the claim that islam was spread by force is a myth and a flat out lie. those who repeat such claim are either ignorant or prejudiced. there is no historical evidence that islam was forced on people but there is pleanty of scholarly writings available which prove the opposite. the sword was used of course but this was in battlefields and against standing armies but not to force islam on people. the lands with some highest muslim population never saw an arab army nor were they conquered yet embraced islam. good examples are indonesia, nigeria and other parts of africa. however, there is pleanty of evidence that christianity practiced forced conversions and killed or tortured people for refusing conversion. i have researched this matter for few years and even used non-muslim sources so i won't be prejudice and it is christian historians themselves who admit that christianity practiced forced conversions and at same time admit for the sake of honesty that islam was not forced on people.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Obviously, your teacher needed a history lesson; or, at least your teacher needed a refresher course on The Crusades, The English and Spanish Inquisitions, and it wouldn't hurt to reread Foxe's Book of Martyrs. Ever since Christianity became a world power in the secular world violence, oppression, and conquest has become means to expand that influence.

liberator16

The hypocrisy that those who claim Islam was spread by the sword, do not critique their nations involvement in spreading democracy through the barrel of a gun.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
I have read repeatedly that Islam is the fastest growing religion in The West. Ironically, The West is the region of The World where there is the most anti-Islamic propaganda probably due to the large Jewish Influence in the media and entertainment industries as well as the Industrial-Military Complex interest.

Throughout history, The West has portrayed those individuals from areas where there is a Military Interest as being evil, sub-human- socially, economically, and educationally underdeveloped. I always found it interesting that for the most part (with a few major exceptions) "the enemies" of The United States have usually looked non-European. The last thing a nation wants is for "an enemy" to be view as "like" us.

In the pre-college educational system, it is difficult for a student to challenge the assertions of a teacher. Thirty years ago as an undergraduate at Penn State University, I often challenged the assertions of my professors and still maintained a 3.75 GPA. Now, I am told that even in colleges and universities it is becoming less common to offer opposing positions.

An interesting fact for me, is that a few decades ago, I gave a few lectures at a military college. Afterwards, I was taken on a tour of the college. The language being studied over twenty + years ago was Arabic. Was that a coincidence?

liberator16

I had a zionist for my middle eastern politics module. She told me after awhile 'im worried that your bias might affect your grades'. A bad attempt at a subtle threat

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
A third irony is that it was through exposure to Muslims, first in the Crusades and then in Muslim Spain, that Europe finally got out of the dark ages and the bondage of the Church and into the age of enlightenment and the reign of the scientific method. That is how the Western civilization started and they owe it all to Islam.

:salam2: brother Ayman,

That's interesting to know. Could you elaborate a bit more ? or perhaps provide a link that supports the above mentioned.

JazakAllahu Khayran.

wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Musulmanin

Where I'm from the Mongols and Persian pagans and others came to concur our land, our ancestors fought them to death and did not let them take our lands.

Then when Muslim army came they did not fight us. They settle in the area and taught us Islam. Alhumdulillah (Praise to God) our ancestors saw the truth and converted to Islam

So, to answer your teacher's statement, at least in the part of the world where I am from the sword (of the pagans) did not work.

The Word of Allah spread by muslims worked. Alhumdulillah!!!

Spreading Islam by the sword does not make sense, since it is only Allah Al-Mighty who is in charge of people's hearts. So forcing someone to convert to Islam is pointless since if it is not Allah's Will, the person will not be a muslim.

Muslim's responsibility is to let others know about Islam.

Forced conversion is in the history of Christianity. Latin America and most of Africa were forced to convert ............or DIE!

Since Muslims had strong armies in the past, people seem to think (based on Christian actions) that it must be through this army's force so many areas in the world became muslim.

With Allah's help, these lies eventually get revealed and those intelligent and those seeking the truth among non-muslims see this.

Many former non-muslims now muslims said they were taught lies in churches or in schools. But later they discovered the truth. Alhumdulillah.

P.S. Don't forget when Christian Crusaders conquered Jerusalem they beheaded thousands of muslims, but when Muslims conquered Jerasalem back, Christians were so afraid that muslims would do to them what christians did to muslims.

And what muslims did? The Leader of muslim army (leader's name Salahudeen) ordered his army to wash the streets of Jerusalem with water and rose petals instead of spilling people's blood on the streets like christians did. Christians filled the streets of Jerusalem with muslim blood when they slaughtered thousands of innocent people after taking Jerusalem. It seems that some present day christians forget that and moreover try to claim Muslims are violent and spread their religion by the sword. How convinient, blame others before they start blaming you. Allah All-Knowing is the witness and the Judge. The truth stands clear from falsehood.

Musulmanin

I have read repeatedly that Islam is the fastest growing religion in The West. Ironically, The West is the region of The World where there is the most anti-Islamic propaganda probably due to the large Jewish Influence in the media and entertainment industries as well as the Industrial-Military Complex interest.

Throughout history, The West has portrayed those individuals from areas where there is a Military Interest as being evil, sub-human- socially, economically, and educationally underdeveloped. I always found it interesting that for the most part (with a few major exceptions) "the enemies" of The United States have usually looked non-European. The last thing a nation wants is for "an enemy" to be view as "like" us.

In the pre-college educational system, it is difficult for a student to challenge the assertions of a teacher. Thirty years ago as an undergraduate at Penn State University, I often challenged the assertions of my professors and still maintained a 3.75 GPA. Now, I am told that even in colleges and universities it is becoming less common to offer opposing positions.

An interesting fact for me, is that a few decades ago, I gave a few lectures at a military college. Afterwards, I was taken on a tour of the college. The language being studied over twenty + years ago was Arabic. Was that a coincidence?

I agree.

Any intelligent person should be able to put side by side the fact that the West is very liberal and that Islam is the fastest growing religion in the West through a great number of people converting. Is this too done by the sword?

For every man converting to Islam in the West, there are 2 or 3 women converting to Islam.

If Islam is so bad to women, why women in liberal, freedom loving contries convert to Islam?

rightpath_357

Agh!!!!!! That's SO true!!!!!!

I got a chance to present about Islam a few years ago!!!! And I blew it!:(
'Insha'Allah I'll get the chance again :D