Visiting Pompeii- Allowed or Not?

Is Pompeii Okay to Visit?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jisawesome

I will be visiting Naples, Italy in a few months and while looking to booking some tours, I came upon the city of Pompeii and it's ruins. I know that visiting a place where Allah has cursed a nation is wrong and should be avoided but does Pompeii fall into that category or is a volcanic explosion resulting in the wiping out of a city okay to visit. It seems to be an interesting point in history but I am hesitant.

MehmetHilmi

I don't get why it would be wrong to visit a place that would educate you. History wise, I myself love ruins. I asked a similar question to my Imam and he told me that it was completely ok to visit historical locations and ruins. It was also ok to do archaeological work by digging up old statues of once worshiped deities (I asked this because I want to do archaeology work some day). Our purpose is knowledge (and entertainment), not shirk or any crazy thing.

SERAHSI

My heart is truly bleeding for every woman in Egyptian girl situation. I am just thinking if every women cover herself and not try to be attractive when they leave their house also men put their eyes down to other woman world be a better place. We can not change Egypt or India or other country but Allah c.c can. Let's make dua every time we pray for us and our family. We can change humanity with changing ourself and teaching our kids how to be a better muslim. ...

Cariad

My heart is truly bleeding for every woman in Egyptian girl situation. I am just thinking if every women cover herself and not try to be attractive when they leave their house also men put their eyes down to other woman world be a better place. We can not change Egypt or India or other country but Allah c.c can. Let's make dua every time we pray for us and our family. We can change humanity with changing ourself and teaching our kids how to be a better muslim. ...
It may be in the wrong thread.. But I have to disagree and I don't believe it would make any difference if a woman is covered or not... If a man has committed himself to abusing a woman what clothing she may be wearing or weather or not she is deemed to be attractive is immaterial. A woman is not responsible for the sinful actions of a man. A man should be able to control his base urges and not seek to blame women for his own weaknesses.

This is not about sex... Rape and sexual violence is never about sex.. But about power, control and subjugation of a person perceived to be weaker.

I agree one can hope to educate ones children.. Not just about being a better Muslim but to respect everyone as equals weather they be man.. Woman.. Muslim or not.. Black or white. God created us all equal.. God is not divisive God and His love is inclusive. It is only man who seeks to divide.. Because to divide is to rule.. To rule is to control.

Peace.

Cariad

I will be visiting Naples, Italy in a few months and while looking to booking some tours, I came upon the city of Pompeii and it's ruins. I know that visiting a place where Allah has cursed a nation is wrong and should be avoided but does Pompeii fall into that category or is a volcanic explosion resulting in the wiping out of a city okay to visit. It seems to be an interesting point in history but I am hesitant.
May I ask where does it say God cursed the nation of Italy? I am curious.. :)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
^^ Propably nothing as it was destroyed at 79 A.D. but he might means it was destroyed because of volcanic eruption as compare this as the punishment of God (I think).

Many historical places have destroyed by same reason or by earthquake partly (like Al-Aqsa mosque, in 746, 1033) but I wonder is it any reason not to visit there or similar places, specially if it is because of the reason of education yourself (as brother MehmetHilmi wrote).

Cariad

That was then.. Not now. There is no pagan society in Pompeii.. Just ruins and the dead. I visited once. It was interesting to see how fragile a human life is to be destroyed by nature in an instant. We cannot know how God judged the Pagans of Pompeii.. They had not accepted the One God.. Maybe they did not understand the One True God at that time.. Is one judged on something they did not know or understand?

We can learn a lot from history.. But not always ... Some Italians still build and farm on the slopes of Etna.. And active volcano.. ;) some people may never learn..maybe they think now they have cars they can out run a pyroclastic flow... I think not, even if they all had Ferraris :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Why make haraam that which is not? Go and seek. Learn the fear of Allah swt.

I am scratching my head. You never know on that trip you make soften someones heart to Islam. At this point I would fear going to Dubai more!!!!

Precious Star

Why make haraam that which is not? Go and seek. Learn the fear of Allah swt.

I am scratching my head. You never know on that trip you make soften someones heart to Islam. At this point I would fear going to Dubai more!!!!

I would love to go to Dubai. It is on the top of my list. I always thought it would be a nice honeymoon destination but since that is not in the cards I will settle for a few travel companions of my gender and age.

Abu Juwairiya

I have heard the city was famous for one vice; homosexuality. My source is 'Perished Nations' by Harun Yahya and other books by the same author. I have the book, but not in digital form, it shows photographs of some of the adults en masse engaging in homosexual sex and some with boys as well. In addition, prostitution was quite popular there. Apparently, the city witnessed an earlier volcanic eruption in 62, eighteen years earlier, but survived.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
That might not be surprising as homosexuality wasn´t forbidden but quite common at the ancient Rome culture, as well in the culture of ancient Greek. Even the Latin lacks words that would precisely translate "homosexual" and "heterosexual".