Was this the wrong thing to do?

kayleigh

:salam2:

I threw a Bible in the trash.

I was on my way to school and Gideon's were handing out little copies of the New Testament. They wouldn't let me into school until I took one, so I just gave up and grabbed one. Obviously I don't believe in it, and if I really wanted to see a copy of the New Testament there's at least 5 in my house, so I tossed it in the garbage.

And now I feel bad, even though I don't believe in it. Even if it's all lies, is it technically wrong to disrespect a holy text?

I know as Muslims we're supposed to respect other religions, so is there anything in Islam that says specifically that it is really wrong to desecrate another religions holy text?

I'm such a worry-er lol

:wasalam:

ShaheedU

Extinct
wa alaikumassalaam,

I'm not gonna answer your question, rather i'm going to add more lol, sorry.

Is it actually holy text? or is it kufr? (that one's easy:D)

We are not allowed to mock their religion/beliefs because they will mock ours, so should we then chuck their 'holy text' in the bin? What would they then do? Allaah knows best. However the kuffar already desecrate our Quran, i must point out.

I dont think you should feel bad though, not unless you have sinned, which as far as i can tell, you have not.

And more, are we supposed to 'respect' their religion or merely tolerate it?

:SMILY129:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

i had that actually happen to me once..
and i didn't know what to do with it..i wanted to toss it somewhere but when i tried i felt a shiver..like i got scared or something..

so ummm...i just walked into the library (i had to do that anyway) and kind of played it slick and left it at an empty table.....and sat veeeeeeeeeery far from it and pretended that i don't even see *anything* there :D (i'm weird like that! lol)

but sister..i think brother ayman1 made a valid and credible point for you :hijabi:

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Kind of a waste of perfectly good paper that should at least have been recycled, as well as an oppourtunity to make Dow'ah - I've given the down and outs Bibles in the past, even once as a Muslim I came across a homeless guy in a park and found a Bible nearby to him. After speaking with him briefly and showing compassion, I handed him the book and said something like, "You'll find most of the answers to the problems in your life here, and the rest you'll find in the Holy Qu'ran. But start here, now." InshaAllah it helped.

I hope that noone saw you throw it in the garbage: A Hijabbi throwing a Holy Bible into the rubbish could easily be noticed by someone, if not a few, and percieved in an unhelpful way. I would ask Allah's forgiveness for the disrespect and any unintentional sins in doing it or from doing it. What would you think if you were walking by someone wearing a cross around their neck and noticed them toss a Holy Qur'an into the trash along the path?

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam alai kum

Personally I wouldn’t have thrown The Bible in the trash because if I did I would have automatically felt guilty for it, and this guilt feeling must be what you're feeling right now.

In fact I have a copy of a Bible in my house that was given to me by a Christian, I accpeted it from him out of respect and even though I don’t believe in it. I now use it for reference when ever I debate with people. It’s not haram to keep a Bible or treat it with respect regardless if the contents of it have been corrupted.

Salam

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Do not feel bad about it sister. However, Brother Brandon is right, I hope no one saw you throw it as that would give a bad impression on Muslims.

galadari

dear sister,

well i can see diferrent individuals giving differrent opinions, but i think u shudnt treat in this way to other holy books and it may be for few reasons

1. well i know bible is being corrupted by the kuffar's but still once it was a holy book which was being sent by god, and its not necessarily that the whole entire text is corrupted,so just imagine if one word or verse in that bible is the word of god, and is not corrupted rnt u gna be one of the sinners??

2. yeah its true that there are many kuffars who disrespect our great book koran, but if we treat that same as they did to us is there any diferrence between them and us?? our prophet (s.a.w) has always tried to harmonise with people doesnt matter believer or disbeliever, he has treated evryone well and equal, even if he was being oppressed by the kuffars. so i think we shud learn from him. just think if in your place if it was a companion of our prophet, what he would have done? chuck it into the bin(i don't think so)

3. and yes u mite be lucky that no one has seen ya to chuck it into the bin, but what if some one would have seen, or what if someone by ne chance finds the bible in the bin,and if hes a christian how's gna be his feelings and what he would be thinking??? exactly the same as us.. so we shud also always be alert that we do not hurt other's feleings by our careless acts.

a person, wether hes muslim, christian, or a jew shudnt be ill treated and dats not me saying. it is said by our prophet (s.a.w)..

jazak allah.....

kayleigh

A Hijabbi throwing a Holy Bible into the rubbish could easily be noticed by someone, if not a few, and percieved in an unhelpful way.

Um...I don't wear hijab so it wouldn't matter if anyone saw me.

But yeah, I'll ask for forgiveness for it. I still feel really bad about it :/

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I was down shepherds bush market and this girl tried to give me a bible in Arabic, and she got upset when i refused!

I was like, I am a revert, look at me you can see (v.pale with hijab) and don't speak Arabic so whats the point!!!

They really do push it. Us Muslims get it right, we give Qu'rans to those who ask.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Once upon a time I was placed in a position where I was scared. I needed something to protect me. It just so happened a display of the pocket sized Bibles were nearby. I grabbed the Scripture. I needed to be protected. I was. I prayed that Allah subhana talla understand my perdicament.
No harm was inflicted upon me.
I treat all works with respect. One of the benefits of wearing hijab is I am left alone.
Sister Kayleigh, it is over. I usally drop a couple of dollars towards charity after I have done something dumb.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
I was down shepherds bush market and this girl tried to give me a bible in Arabic, and she got upset when i refused!

I was like, I am a revert, look at me you can see (v.pale with hijab) and don't speak Arabic so whats the point!!!

They really do push it. Us Muslims get it right, we give Qu'rans to those who ask.

Salam

I have been going to Shepherds Bush occasionally for the past 10 years or so and have never come across people offering a Bible in Arabic. I'll be sure to look out for them next time in the hope of giving them some Dawah Inshallah. :)

I guess they target these areas since there are a lot of Muslim Arabs living there.

Salam

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salaam,

Once upon a time I was placed in a position where I was scared. I needed something to protect me. It just so happened a display of the pocket sized Bibles were nearby. I grabbed the Scripture. I needed to be protected. I was. I prayed that Allah subhana talla understand my perdicament.
No harm was inflicted upon me.
I treat all works with respect. One of the benefits of wearing hijab is I am left alone.
Sister Kayleigh, it is over. I usally drop a couple of dollars towards charity after I have done something dumb.

Sorry sister I didnt totally understand what you meant exactly. Did you mean this happened to you when you were a Christian and you were scared a grabbed a Bible for protection?

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
I have a copy of Mormans's Bible in my home. I was in a hurry and took it from them to end the discussion.
I don't know what to do with it. I couldn't throw it because it is a sacred book of some one. So I don't know how to dispose it off ? Any ideas?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

No, I was not a Christian. What I am trying to say is simply the word of Allah is important no matter what the form. I was scared for my life and needed some reassurance. As it so happened that the only thing available to me was a copy of the Bible. I held on to it. The Psalms of David are very comforting and I read them.
We do not disregard that which Allah subhana talla has sent down. It was a minor illustration of the power of Love.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I have a copy of Mormans's Bible in my home. I was in a hurry and took it from them to end the discussion.
I don't know what to do with it. I couldn't throw it because it is a sacred book of some one. So I don't know how to dispose it off ? Any ideas?

when it comes to the Qura'an or anything that has a verse from the Qura'an or the word *allah* in Arabic..
if you can't keep the item anymore..and you are afraid that leaving it would cause it to be thrown away..put in an inappropriate place..or mistreated in general
it's recommended that you burn it completely..as the words will disappear and the ash of course will just be so light that it will just blow away so nothing of the item will remain technically

that's for the Qura'an and stuff though......

you can try it with the bible if you would like..i think it would be fair..and i would do it if i were in your place :hijabi:

xohanifaxo

one in a billion!!
saalam
i think it might be wrong but i'm not sure...for example if someone God forbid threw the Qu'ran in the trash would u think of it as wrong???...well i guess it's the same for other religious holy books...i'm sorry if wat i said was too drastic...but i used it as an example...sorry

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salaam,

No, I was not a Christian. What I am trying to say is simply the word of Allah is important no matter what the form. I was scared for my life and needed some reassurance. As it so happened that the only thing available to me was a copy of the Bible. I held on to it. The Psalms of David are very comforting and I read them.
We do not disregard that which Allah subhana talla has sent down. It was a minor illustration of the power of Love.

Salam

Thank you sister for making it clear to me and sorry I assumed you were once a Christian.

farhopes

No God but Allah
Read this Hadith!

Once I read this thread I remembered one Hadith in which our prophet pbuh. showed respect and honoring to the Bible. I searched for that hadith and Alhamdulillah at last I found it:

(5) Narrated Abdullah Ibn Umar: A group of Jews came and invited the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) to Quff. So he visited them in their school. They said: AbulQasim, one of our men has committed fornication with a woman; so pronounce judgment upon them. They placed a cushion for the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) who sat on it and said: Bring the Torah. It was then brought. He then withdrew the cushion from beneath him and placed the Torah on it saying: I believed in thee and in Him Who revealed thee. He then said: Bring me one who is learned among you. Then a young man was brought. The transmitter then mentioned the rest of the tradition of stoning similar to the one transmitted by Malik from Nafi'(No. 4431). (Book #38, Hadith #4434)

The word "Torah" means the Bible.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

The Bible as it is today does not represent the true uncorrupted word of Allah. It has been corrupted. We Muslims believe in the Psalm [pronounced in Arabic as Az-Zabur], the Torah [pronounced in Arabic as At-Tawraa] and the Gospel [pronounced in Arabic as Al-Injil] in their original form [i.e., when God Almighty revealed these texts to the prophets David, Moses and Jesus -peace be upon them all-], not in the form they are in today.

Please read a post of mine concerning this matter on the following link. It shows evidence of this corruption:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62926&postcount=94

If you want to read really long posts of mine concerning this topic, then click on the following two links to read what I've written on pages 2 and 3 of the thread "Is the Bible corrupt":

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10927&page=2
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10927&page=3

You'll find that I wrote one post for each of the following topics:

1- The Qur'an states very clearly that the previous Scriptures were corrupted
2- Do Muslims entirely reject all the previous scriptures?
3- The definition of corruption and other matters regarding the Story of the Adulteress [John 7:53-8:11]
4- The Qur'anic verses concerning the supposed crucifixion of Jesus Christ [peace be upon him]
5- The matter of the Opening Chapter of the Qur'an [Surat al Faatiha]
6- Some of the words of Pope Pius XII and the Preface of certain versions of the Bible
7- The words of a Roman Catholic priest who's also a Biblical scholar
8- Conclusion

Please read them in full and carefully.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum