Watching TV ?

samiha

---------
Staff member
assalamu alaykum....

one question first.... HOW DID TOILET issue come up on 'Watching TV' thread????

second comment: no it is not bidah... the bathroom many times contains 'bad' jinn and stuff so to avoid that we say it...

lol... my dear grandmother was into the whole 'cover your head' say 'ayatul kursi' and stuff. meaning all the best of course and granted the bathrooms in BD are a WHOLE LOT creepier than those in the U.S.

but anyway... i think it's just a regular dua that suffices i know it but i will look for stuff to back it up...

Dua for entering bathroom:

attachment.php

In the name of Allah. Oh Allah! I seek refuge in You from the foul male and female devils​

Dua For leaving:​

attachment.php

Oh Allah, I ask) Your pardon. Praise be to Allah Who relieves me from suffering and gave me health​

(i don't say the last part of the above dua, but perhaps it is acceptable... lol... the evidence things were in arabic... comp doesn't support font)

wassalam.

Attachments

• lesson11.gif
    lesson11.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 841
  • lesson12.gif
    lesson12.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 622

bemuslim

answering u question

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH MOST GRACIOUS MOST MERCIFUL

DEAR BROTHER

:salam2: :astag: This has nothing to do with innovation in religion and supertition.A muslim should be optimistic and should put his trust in ALLAH.

Islam has fought suprtition and all means that leads the muslims astray.Please

read the article i suggested about my eyes twitching...

QADAAHUL HAAJAH (RELIEVING ONESELF)
It is recommended to keep the following in mind when relieving oneself:

Say before entering the toilet:

Bismillaah, Allaahumma In the name of Allah, O Allah! I seek
inee a'uudhu bika minal refuge with You from all offensive and
khubthi wal khabaaith wicked things (evil deeds and evil spirits.)
(Al-Bukhaaree)

It is not permissible to enter the toilet while carrying anything that bears the name of Allah, such as Al-Quran, or any book with the name of Allah in it, or jewelry such as bracelets and necklaces engraved with the name of Allah.

One should keep silent while in the toilet. Thus, talking, reading, answering the greetings, and greeting others are not to be done in the toilet, except in a life-threatening situation, such as guiding a blind person. Even if one sneezes, one should say in his mind Alhamdu Lillaah. In Hadeeth reported by Ibn 'Umar, the Prophet (s.a.s.) was urinating when a man passed by and greeted him, but the Prophet did not answer him.

If a person is driven by necessity to relieve himself in an open place, he or she should not face Al-Qiblah or turn his back to it. In Hadeeth reported by Abu Hurairah, the Prophet (s.a.s.) said:

"Whenever anyone of you sits to relieve himself, he should not face Al-Qiblah or give it back." (Muslim)

One should be out of sight of people, thus the doors of the toilet should be securely closed. Jaabir (r.'a.) reported:

"We traveled with the Prophet and whenever he relieves himself, he keeps out of sight so that he would not be seen." (Ibn Maajaa)

One should avoid urinating, or otherwise, in the holes under shade or fruit trees, on river banks or at the edge of water tanks, at places where people perform ablution, in the graveyard or the masjid. In short, one should avoid places where people take rest or gather for any purpose.

After using the toilet, one should make Istinjaa, cleaning oneself with water. This should be done before making Wuduu, otherwise the Wuduu is considered invalid. One may use water and paper for Istinjaa. After relieving oneself, one should say the following Du'aa:

Alhammdu lillaahilla dhee Praise be to Allah who relieved me of
adhhaba 'annil adhaa wa the filth and gave me relief.
'aalaanee. (Ibn Maajaa)

AS FAR AS THE BIDAA IS CONCERNED ,
Firstly, we should know what "bid'ah" means according to Islamic teaching.

It is defined as: any invented way in religion that is aimed at worshipping or drawing closer to Allaah. This means anything that is not referred to specifically in Sharee'ah, and for which there is no evidence (daleel) in the Qur'aan or Sunnah, and which was not known at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions. At the same time, it is quite obvious that this definition of religious inventions or innovations, which are condemned, does not include worldly inventions [such as cars and washing machines, etc. - Translator].

If your confusion has to do with an apparent contradiction between the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah and the hadeeth narrated by Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah, then let us examine these two reports and find out what they mean:

Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah al-Bajali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing and is followed by others, will have his own reward and a reward equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their reward in any way. Whoever starts a bad thing and is followed by others, will bear the burden of his own sin and a burden equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their burden in any way.'" (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2675. He said, This is a saheeh hasan hadeeth)

There is a story behind this hadeeth, which will explain what "whoever starts a good thing" means. Imaam Muslim reported this story from Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah, who also narrated the hadeeth itself. He said: "Some people from the Bedouin came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), wearing woollen garments. He saw that they were in bad shape and in desperate need, so he urged the people to give them charity. They people were very slow to respond, and it could be seen in his face (that he was upset). Then a man of the Ansaar brought a package of silver, then another came, and another and another, and his face was filled with joy. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing in Islam, and others do likewise after him, there will be written for him a reward like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their reward. Whoever starts a bad thing in Islam, and others do likewise after him, there will be written for him a burden of sin like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their burden.'" (Reported by Muslim, no. 1017)

Further explanation may be found in a report recorded by al-Nisaa'i, also from Jareer ibn 'Abdullah, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "We were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) early one day, when some people who were almost naked (not dressed properly) and barefoot, with their swords by their sides, came to him. Most, if not all of them, were of (the tribe of) Mudar. The Messenger's face changed when he saw how poor they were (i.e., he became upset). He went into (his house), then he came out and ordered Bilaal to give the call to prayer. He led the people in prayer, then he addressed them, saying: 'O people, "be dutiful to your Lord, Who created you from a single person, and from him He created his wife, and from them both he created many men and women, and fear Allaah through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship)" [al-Nisaa' 4:1].

"Fear Allaah, and keep your duty to Him. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for the morrow…" [al-Hashr 59:18].

Let a man give charity from his dinars, his dirhams, his clothing, his wheat or his dates - even if it is only half a date.' A man from the Ansaar brought a package which he could hardly carry in his hand, then another and another came, until there were two piles, of food and clothing, and I saw the face of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) beaming with joy. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing in Islam will have his own reward and a reward equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting in the least from their reward, and whoever starts a bad thing in Islam will have to bear the burden of his own sin and a burden equal to that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their burden. (Reported by al-Nisaa'i in al-Mujtaba: Kitaab al-Zakaat, Bab al-Tahreed 'ala al-Sadaqah).

From the context of the story, it is clear that what is meant by the words "whoever starts a good thing (sunnah hasanah) in Islam" means: Whoever revives a part of the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or teaches it to others, or commands others to follow it, or acts according to it so that others see him or hear about it and follow his example. This is also indicated by the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he urged the people to give him charity. A man said: 'I have such-and-such,' and there was no person left in the gathering who did not give something in charity to him, whether it was a large amount or a little. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts something good, and others follow his lead, will have a complete reward and a reward like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their reward. Whoever starts something bad, and others follow his lead, will bear a complete burden of sin, and a burden like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their burden. (Reported by Ibn Maaajah in al-Sunan, no. 204)

It should be clear from the above, with no room for doubt, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was not allowing innovation in matters of deen (religion), nor was he opening the door to what some people call "bid'ah hasanah," for the following reasons:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated repeatedly that: "Every newly-invented thing is a bid'ah (innovation), every bid'ah is a going astray, and every going astray will be in the Fire." (Reported by al-Nisaa'i in al-Sunan, Salaat al-'Eedayn, Baab kayfa al-Khutbah). Reports with the same meaning were narrated via Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) by Ahmad, via al-'Irbaad ibn Saariyah by Abu Dawud and via Ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) by Ibn Maajah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when beginning a khutbah (sermon): "… The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The worst of things are those which are newly-invented, and every innovation is a going astray…" (reported by Muslim, no. 867)

If every bid'ah is a going astray, how can some people then say that there is such a thing in Islam as "bid'ah hasanah"? By Allaah, this is an obvious contradiction of the statement and warning of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated that whoever innovates something new in the deen (religion) will have his deed rejected, and Allaah will not accept it, as is stated in the hadeeth narrated by 'Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours that is not a part of it will have it rejected.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath al-Baari, no. 2697). How can anybody then say that bid'ah is acceptable and it is permitted to follow it?

When a person innovates something and adds to the deen something that does not belong to it, he is implying a number of bad things, each worse than the last, for example:
That the religion is lacking, that Allaah did not complete and perfect it, and that there is room for improvement. This clearly contradicts the statement in the Qur'aan (interpretation of the meaning): "… This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion…" [al-Maa'idah 5:3]

That the religion remained imperfect from the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) until the time when this innovator came along and completed it with his own ideas.

That the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was "guilty" of either of two things: either he was ignorant of this "good innovation," or he knew about it but concealed it, thus letting his ummah down by not conveying it.

That the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), his Companions and the righteous salaf (early generations) missed out on the reward of this "good innovation" - until this innovator came along and earned it for himself, despite the fact that he should say to himself, "If it was truly good, they would have been the first to do it."

Opening the door to bid'ah leads to changing the deen (religion) and opens the way for personal whims and opinions, because every innovator implies that what he is introducing is something good, so whose opinion are we supposed to follow, and which of them should we take as a leader?

Following bid'ah leads to the cancelling out of sunnah practices and the ways of the salaf. Real life bears witness that whenever a bid'ah is followed, a sunnah practice dies out; the reverse is also true.
We ask Allaah to save us from the misguidance of personal whims and from all trials whether they are open or secret. And Allaah knows best

Umm3mar

Asalam alaikum

"I thought to myself they can use this memory inshallah to memorise something beneficial in this life and the next inshallah, they now know quite a lot of Juz Ammah, including the 2yr old and people are surprised they think he is still in Nappies and cant even speak properly but he already knows about 10 short Surahs and a couple duas e.g what to say when going to toilet, Ayatul kursi etc"

Masha'allah. Jazak'allakhyran sister. It warms my heart to know you are instilling the love of Allah SWT in your children. May they grow to be better Muslims than all of us.

"so,getting rid of the T.V was one of the best things I have ever done and we spend more time as a family and communicate more and we are learning the deen together"

Family is very important. Many families live under one roof, yet don't spend enough time together. May Allah protect your family and keep you united.

"I know the T.V in itself isnt haram after all it only a box but the contents are the ones which are haram.
"

Well said. Just as a firearm is merely shaped metal but it is the person pulling the trigger who is dangerous, the danger of television lies within the contents.

br_rizwan

Slave of Almighty
:salam2:

i used to watch TV a lot when i was in college and secondary school. but now allhamdulliah i not watching even for 30 minute continuesly...just watch News i would like to request my brothers and sisters ..that if you watch TV for good stuff from which if u earn knowledge then its good like for news go for al-jazeera.. and Islam Channel.. Itihad TV, QtV they all nice..

But i want to warn my brothers and sisters as well i wasted lots of time of my life by watching TV..soo please avoid for non sense stuff...

:salah:

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Alakum Wa Rahmet Allah Wa barakatu

To be honost i used to watch tv 24/7. i was obsess with television. However, my father canceled the English dish and left us the Aljazeera dish so i dont watch that much t.v only when my brothers rent movies.

But im starting to move away from it one step at a time.

Noor to shine

assalamu Alaikim brothers and sisters:
I used to watch TV and listen to Music(Astagfur Allah) seeking pleasure and amusement for long times But then when Allah swt put the sweatness of faith in my heart and i started memorizing Quran and studing Hadiths I releazied how ignorant I was : seeking pleasure in such foolish silly things ......I found the true pleasure in being close to my Creator....in piety and Jihad Alnafs for the sake of Allah.........Now I am sorry for all those wasted times ....... I like to watch Almajed Tv which is an islamic Saudi Channel free from Haram 100% InshaAllah ....I love to spend houres with this Channel ....But the problem with the other members of my family they don`t let me enjoy my channel and they turn the TV to some other channels ....Which is not very bad AlhamduliAllah we don`t let silly channels in our house .....but even those channels not free from Haram 100% like women with no Higab, Music, wasting time......I pray to Allah that one day all my family get rid of all these things.....which is not islamic.......:Living with no Haram is just like breathing pure healthy air

wasalam:

Lollytop

shyness

I dont believe that shyness is taken away by tv. Yes you see a good deal of mid riffs and nice bosoms (im female btw) and to be honest even with tv if i have to serve a guy in the shop i used to work in who was half naked cus it was warm i often found myself not knowing where to look as i found it embaressing. so even tho i love tv and spend alot of time on the net i still get really shy and cast my eyes away, i have issues with giving eye contact and always find something else to be looking at. one thing about sky and cable is u can jus ignore the music channels since i cant stand them, im not a big music fan, i also think u shud ban the channels that "show that thing thats on every 4 years" i mean u really travel a family members house for football? sports are good for playing but why there needs to be so many channels, the only thing i find bearable is ice skating which i only ever really see in the winter olympics. ah and my other point is tv can be good, i mean obviously its good to get out more, but if ur like me who had a hard time getting friends to ask u places then u need some solace, like tv or consoles. even if u watch a programme that shows sexiness like charmed for example the girls still get burned, figuratively speaking. they love they date they marry some die and it gives you a view of things that are right and wrong in western reality and so i think it makes u more knowledgeable for the ppl around u, like if ur in england like me. i mean i was western to begin with so not so hard but for a young girl sex and the city and other soaps can be a great help. I mean you dont wanna get married and go omg whats he doing.or "just let him do it i hav no right to stop him" tv can show you that women can be bold and men can be arses, which u might not learn normally unless u know really bad men. AND PLUS if u watch cartoons jus dont bother with most english and american stuff cus its lame, but if theres an anime on its usually riddled with morals and humour. its ok to laugh after all. the only thing u really need to do is cut down how much tv u watch and excercise more, pray more, and dont turn round and say i cant pray now the da vinci programmes on :p ok i babbled. i will agree with those on one aspect of tv being bad, it can make us want to stay in bed, damn that warm fluffy bed.

A

addan

hi brother if u want to stop {tv.u can stop any time u want becose everything is niyah}
brother when u came in this eath u no watching tv,
is some material u see u brant home
sow u can stop brother

hi brother if u want to stop {tv.u can stop any time u want becose everything is niyah}
sow u can stop brother

:salah: hi brother if u want to stop {tv.u can stop any time u want becose everything is niyah}
sow u can stop brother
:salah: :salah: :salah: :salah:

Kayote

Actually its the opposite for me.

I find dropping music much harder to tv. I dont have a tv so its so much easier. Ofcourse, I do watch movies on PC. :!

:wasalam:

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

In my humble opinion it’s not about TV but about immorality, vice, corruption, and mind control, because TV (hardware) can be easily substituted with Internet, PC etc and you can do far worse things on-line.

Brothers/Sisters who are talking about watching programs about current affairs/news must know that some of these programs are nothing but one-sided portrayal of Kuf’r. I find it amazing that Brothers/Sisters admire Channel 4 (England) for showing some good documentary about Islam one week and get upset the next week when the same Channel 4 (England) airs a program about “Muslim Gays”…

I find very few Brothers/Sisters who have a TV at home (originally bought with good intentions of watching news etc.) who have maintained self-control and not watched a bit of Eastenders (Soap etc.) every now & then…

Or while watching football etc. have not stumbled and watched a bit of an old movie that they liked years ago…

I am not trying to be judgemental about things but we should worry about the “The Content”. You can find many Sisters posting questions on the Internet on many sites about Husbands addicted to ****ography & having caught their husbands watching something that they shouldn’t and so on. Even if 10% of these questions are legitimate, the Ummah has a Problem!

Vice and vulgarity should be strictly avoided whether on TV, PC or Internet and since I am not judgemental I have a feeling that everyone knows deep down as to what they should or should not be watching.

Addiction is of many kinds smoking, TV, movies, music even Internet (its called Cyber-Cocaine in psychology) and all of them are detrimental to a person. If there are any Brothers/Sisters who think that they have an addiction (knows its wrong but can’t stop, get agitated/irritated without it, get depressed) PLEASE get it treated.

Jazakullah Khairun

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum

Lastly, every addiction starts out slowly and every addict NEVER admits that they are addicted to anything and every addict THINKS that they are in control and they can quit anytime.

Globalpeace

Banned
The ill effects of Television

The Ill Effects of Television
by Abu Mohammed Abdur-Rauf Shakir
In the name of Allaah the beneficiary, the merciful, all praise is due to Allaah. We seek his aid and ask him for guidance and ask his forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allaah from the evil of ourselves and our wicked actions.
Whoever Allaah guides, none can send astray and whoever Allaah sends astray, none can guide. We testify that there is no God but Allaah alone and that we has no partner, and l testify that Muhammed is his servant and messenger. May Allaah bless him, his family and his companions.
We ask Allaah subhanahu wa ta'ala to accept our efforts, overlook our shortcomings and cover us all with his mercy in this world and in the next.
Muharram 1417 AH
CONTENTS
• Introduction
• The Definition of Television
• The Working of Television
• The Image
• Picture-Making - the Mother of Television
• Music and Television
• The Female Voice
• Serials, Romances and Stories on Television
• Nudity, Imorality and Television
• Television as an agent of Zina (Fornication)
• TV in stride - Terror of Copy Rapes
• Television and Crime in general
• Television encourages acceptance of Aggression
• Television encourages imitation of crime
• The Brainwashing action of Television
• Television stunts intellectual growth
• The Addictive Influence of Television
• Research on Television has shown
• What they say about Television
• Television and Time
TELEVISION [This appendix is a summary, with slight changes, of an excellent and enlightening book entitled Television and the Institution of Photography or Picture-Making, published by the Majlis al-Ulama, of South Africa.]
Introduction
The great need for discussion of the Islaamic perspective concerning the issue of television is clear to us all. Since television has entered the homes of people in every corner of the earth. the rich and the poor, the educated and en-educated, Muslim and non-Muslim - it has become a necessity to address the issue and explain the problems and dangers of television in a clear and concise manner for the benefit of every Muslim who is seeking to please Allaah, the Most High, and earn His reward.
The Definition of Television
The Encyclopedia Brittanica defines television as follows: The electrical transmission of pictures in motion and the simultaneous electrical transmission of the accompanying sounds. The Encyclopedia International explains television as: The unique feature that distinguishes television from radio is the conversion of an image into an electrical current which is later reconverted to the original image...
The Working of Television
The equipment consists of a camera which convex the image into electrical impulses; these are transmitted by radio to a receiver which converts the impulses by means of a cathode-ray tube into a corresponding image on a screen.
The Image
The illusion of motion in television is produced by showing 30 still pictures, or frames, each second. Through persistence of vision the brain retains each picture until the next comes along. We are not aware of the fact that our eyes are really seeing a rapidly changing sequence of a large number of slightly different still pictures. Each still picture consists of about 250 000 picture dots of varying brightness which appear as if painted on the screen. This process is called scanning. (Encyclopedia International) (For an interesting and comprehensive discussion of the technical functioning of Television, refer to the original book: (Television and the Institution of Photography or Picture-making.) It should at this juncture be said that the undesirability and the Islaamic prohibition of this institution of television is not based solely on the stand that photography (picture-milking) of animate objects is employed. Without minimizing the importance and the decisiveness of the prohibitory factor of picture-making it has to be said that a number of other evil and un-Islaamic factors accompany the institution of television. It is this conglomeration of evil factors which make television illegal in Islaam although, in most cues, each single one of these factors is sufficient to secure the verdict of illegality of TV. Insha'Allaah, we shall outline these prohibitory factors (Asbaabul Hurmat) of television in the ensuing pages.
Picture-Making The Mother of Television
Photography which is merely a method of picture-making is the actual basis of TV. Without the institution of photography television is not possible. Whether shows are "live" or otherwise, the institution of photography is employed. Now, according to the Law of Islaam picture-making of animate objects is severely criticized and banned.
Music and Television
We can consider music as an integral part of television programs. No TV show is complete without music. Islaam has forbidden music in no unmistaken terms (For further details and full discussion of the evidences concerning the prohibition of Music in Islaam, refer to: The Islaamic Ruling of Music and Singing, by Abu Bilal Mustafah al-Kanadi). For the purposes of the present subject it will suffice to state that Islaam categorically forbids all types of music. Music in Islaam is regarded as a Kabirah (great) sin. With regard to music our Prophet (may the blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) said:
''There will be men from among my Ummah who will consume alcohol, giving it another name (so as to deceive themselves and others). Singing girls and musical instruments will be playing to them. Allaah, Ta 'ala will cause the earth to swallow them. Allaah will transform them into apes and swine." (Ibn Maajah, al-Bayhaqee 10/221, no. 20989. Al-Albaanee declared it to be authentic in Silsilat Saheehah 1/136-139, no. 90)
It is reported from Abdullah ibn Mas'ood (May Allaah be pleased with him): "Music sows hypocrisy in the heart like water causes seeds to grow in soil'' (Ad-Durru al-Manthoor, by As-Suyootee 5/307-308, explanation of verse 31:6 of the Qur'aan) Allaah says in the Qur'aan:
"And when they (the believers) hear what is futile they turn away from it, and they say Unto us our deeds; and, unto you your deeds. Peace upon you. We do not follow the ignorant ones." (Al-Qur'aan 28:55)
The Female Voice
The female voice, according to Islaam, is also included in the category of Satar, i.e. it has to be 'concealed' and not 'revealed' . Since the female voice is an entity not to be displayed or advertised, it is not permissible for males to listen to women singing or even reciting the Qur'aan...
When necessity demands that they have to speak to males then their speech should not be attractive, gentle and alluring like the deliberate allure put in speech by (trained' women of the disbelievers. Recognizing the danger of allurement in the female voice. the Qur'aan commands women thus:
"And, do not speak in alluring tones, so that he in whose heart there is a disease (of lust) desires." (Al-Qur'aan 33:32)
Van de Velde in his book Ideal Marriage, states: "The tone-color of a voice, and the intonation of a single word -- and it may be a word of no special meaning or association in itself - may excite incredible intensity of desire. The unique and precious significance that a woman's voice can give to to "you" can suffice to overwhelm man's power of endurance and control ... ''
Islaam has, hence, forbidden its women to speak in a soft or "sexually'' sweet tone. If anyone is aware of the springs of sex-psychology he will clearly see the justification for Islaam's restriction in this matter.
Islaam commands the concealment of the female voice and prohibits its display in public. but television demands the contrary. Great use is made of the female voice on TV to advertise, to allure, to excite lust and female singing with the accompaniment of music is most popular ...
The importance of television programs, like the importance of all the mass media of the disbelievers, hinges on maximum exhibition of the female body and the female voice which have been subverted by the bestial culture of the unbelievers, to pamper the inordinate sexual desires of men who have no belief of Allaah in them -- of men who have no fear of Allaah left in them.
Serials, Romances and Stories on Television
What is Islaam's attitude to fiction, novels and romantic stories'? Allaah Ta'ala says in the Qur'aan:
''And among mankind are those who purchase idle tales so as to lead astray (others) from the Path of Allaah. And, they make a mockery of the Laws of Allaah. To them, there is a disgraceful punishment. And, when our verses are rehearsed to them they turn away in pride as if they did not hear, as if there are are plugs in their ears. Give them the news of a painful punishment." (Qur'aan 31:67)
These verses of the Qur'aan were revealed to prohibit, according to the Mufassireen and Jurists, music and the stories of romances imported from Persia. Since these things divert man's attention from the remembrance of Allaah and transport one into the realm of illusion and imagination the Qur'aan outlaws them. Islaam strongly discourages fiction and encourages one to live in reality and not in illusion which has the tendency to make one negligent and forgetful of the prime purpose of man's creation which is to gain Allaah's Pleasure by fixing the gaze on the Akhirat (Hereafter) and not on the 'IV screen. Islaam, therefore forbids the wasting of time in listening to idle tales and fiction or false stories.
Nudity, Immorality and Television
The most glaring evil propagated by the television media of the world is the crime of nudity and sexual immorality. Commercialized nudity and sexual immorality under the camouflage of "educational" pictures are accepted and necessary features of world television. The Western world is haunted by the obsession of illicit sex, and it is this carnal obsession of illicit sex coupled with the unbeliever's god of materialism which makes capital of the female body on TV as well as all other mass media.
The Islaamic concept of morality and modesty is the very antithesis of the immorality and passivity dished out to the world via TV. Islaam demands the concealment of the female body. The Messenger of Allaah (may the blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) said: "Woman is an object of concealment." (Tirmidhee. It was declared authentic by al-Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan at-Tirmidhee 1/343 no. 1189)
TV is an institution which is widely used to exhibit the female body. Islaam has banned all forms of immorality and immodesty, but TV exhibits immodesty and immorality in their crudest forms by depicting the actual sex acts and, above all, it audaciously and shamelessly passes these off as "educational". Television as a prime agent of immorality is very well known...
The Messenger of Allaah (may the blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) said: "Shamelessness (immodesty) is vice, and vice will be in the fire." (Muslim 4/1375, no. 6309)
Television As An Agent of Zina (Fornication)
Allaah Ta'ala says in the Qur'aan: ''And come not near to zina." (Al-Qur'aan 17:32)
The terms, come not near, means: stay away from all such things and practice: which lead to zina - which are stepping-stones to fornication.
All practices, things and institutions which aid and foster fornication and immodesty are forbidden by Islaam. There are different categories of this abominable crime of zina. The Messenger of Allaah (may the blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) said:
''The zina of the eyes is the gaze (at that which is unlawful, e.g. nudity); the zina of the ears is to listen (to talks of nudity which excites the carnal desired); the zina of the tongue is to speak (what is evil); the zina of the hand is to touch (the female which is unlawful to you); the zina of the feet is to walk (towards immorality); the zina of the heart is to desire (what is unlawful), and it is the private parts which either commits or shuns the actual act of fornication." (Muslim 4/1397 no. 6421, 6422)
In this Hadith the Messenger of Allaah (may the blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) speaks of the zina committed by the various parts of the human body. Thus, to look at the nudity and evil portrayed on the television screen constitutes the zina of the eyes. To listen to the immodest and illicit sex elks of the television is zina of the ears. Lust which is loused by the display, discussion of nudity and passivity and perversion on the TV screen constitutes the zina of the heart.
Television, therefore, is without any doubt a powerful agent and a stepping-stone for fornication...
We find today the whole family - father, mother, sons and daughters - sitting huddled together around the TV screen. Together, in a display of stark shamelessness, the whole family is committing zina of the eyes, zina of the ears and zina of the heart, and Allaah alone knows how many multitudes of men and women indulged in the final act of fornication as a result of watching and being aroused by the evil on the TV screen...
Islaam lays great emphasis on modesty, so much so, that our Prophet (may blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) said: ''Modesty is a part of lmaan (Faith)." (At-Tirmidhee. It was declared authentic by al-Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan at-Tirmidhee, 2/195, no. 2094 (1634))
But TV with its emphasis on illicit, depraved and bestial immorality is the very negation of the Islaamic concept of modesty and shame. Mother, father and children together viewing the zina -- the fornication and vice on the TV screen. What is now left of humanity? May Allaah Ta'ala protect us and our children from the 51th and depravity of the Western world sunk in perversion and immorality.
Allaah Ta'ala says: ''Today (the Day of Qiyamah) we shall seal their enoughs -- and, their hands shall speak (the evil they committed); and their feet will bear evidence as to what they practiced." (Al-Qur'aan 36:65)
TV in Stride - Terror of Copy Rapes
The horror of a TV rape came true for two women. They were attacked only days after the screening of a documentary "Cry Rape'' on British TV.
The maniac who broke into their homes at Reading, Berkshire, acted just like the TV rapist.
He struck by day, threatening his victims with a knife. He robbed them and stacked his loot in a neat pile ready for a quick getaway. The police chief leading the hunt for the rapist said: "He may have seen this program. It could have stimulated these attacks.'' Now police may ask ITV for a private screening of the film to seek possible new clues. (Sunday Times, 8th February, 1976)
Television and Crime in General
Television besides being a powerful agent of immorality, generally fosters various types of crime. Violence, aggression, robberies, murder, etc., are crimes which the young readily learn from TV shows. Much of the delinquency and youth crimes being perpetrated in the Western world could be traced to the TV.
In an article entitled: TV Shows Blamed For Crimes. Los Angeles judge, Mark Bridler, blasted a TV crime show recently as the cause of a "seven-hour nightmare'' in which two teenagers taped shotguns to the heads of hostages and extracted a huge ransom from a Californian bank.
Television Encourages Acceptance of Aggression
The regular and continous shows of violence and aggression slowly, but most certainly, claim their victims. Viewers are 'brain-washed' by the perpetual scenes of violence to such an extent that violence and aggressiveness becomes accepted as a mode of behaviour.
Television Encourages Imitation of Crime
Research has established that TV exercises a very strong influence on the minds of people causig them to imitate and enact the crime shown on the TV screen. Dr. Robert Liebert, a child psychologist who was a leading researcher in the United States Surgeon General's investigation into TV and social behaviour, says: Violence on home screens encourages 'an acceptance of aggression as a mode of behaviour...Perfectly normal children will imitate anti-social behaviour they see on television, not out of malice, but curiousity...In showing displays of violence and crinimal acts, the media is 'teaching', people are 'learning', he says.
The Brainwashing Action of Television
Television is here and its biggest fans are children. Overnight they've become instant pundits, immediately recognizing personalities who are still just faces to the rest of us.
It's the kids who grab the TV guide and plot their viewing with military precision; the kids who know every cop and cowboy and exactly why it could not have been the butler who did it.
Will reading become a forgotten art only necessary to decipher the basic English of the TV guide or the secret message flashed on the screen by Agent X who has seconds to read the scrawl before it self-destructs? Researchers have established that the young minds of children are readily susceptible to being brainwashed by TV. In America organizations have been formed in scores of cities in order to tight the evil effect of TV on children. The President of the Organization , Action For Children's Television, a Boston-based parents' organization with branches in 60 cities says:
"At present from Monday to Friday, children are subjected to 16 minutes of commercials an hour, and 12 minutes an hour on weekends.''
"Television advertisers in America are pouring unprecedented millions of dollars into the child slots for the autumn season, despite a storm of public indignation over 'brainwashing' on children's shows.''
Television Stunts Intellectual Growth
An eminent American elocutionist, Professor Lowell Little, claims that TV raises ignorant students. At an education seminar in Florida he said:
"Today's youth are so used to plopping down in front of a television set and not having to put their brains to work that when they come to sit in a classroom of a university all they are capable of doing is day-dreaming and vacantly watching the clock.'' "
As the first generation of youngsters all but raised on television has now reached college age it is abundantly clear that the boob tube (i.e. television) has destroyed any curiosity they may ever have had.''
"Their level of communication is just at the sixth grade level.'' "The television has more influence on them than parents, teachers or clergy -- and that is a disgrace.''
''If I get through to four students out of 30 and arouse their interest that's the best I can expect.''
The Addictive Influence of Television
The addictive influence of TV over its viewers is a serious malady which has reached alarming proportions. Viewers become so addicted to TV that it becomes most difficult for most viewers to live without TV. Research in this field of the 'addictive influence of TV' has established that if these who are addicted to TV are deprived of television they become increasingly nervous, short-tempered and unhappy.
In an article captioned: Millions Addicted To The Box, the Eastern Province Herald of tile 23rd October, 1975, reports:
"Television's addictive grip was emphasized some months before when three socially varied 'guinea pig' families agreed to try a switch-off for a month. The lowest income family could stand the deprivation only a week; the other two lasted for four weeks, hating every minute of it. They said they felt as if they had lost a friend, were depressed and thought their work was suffering too.''
"ln an earlier psychological experiment 182 West Germans volunteered to try to give up television for a year, with the inducement of payment as long as they kept off. One brave family stood the strain for nearly six months - till they wanted to watch a crime serial. The first volunteer, a bachelor; failed after three weeks. Others became increasingly nervous, short-tempered and unhappy..."
Television diverts man's attention from the remembrance of Allaah. The Prophet (may blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) said:
''Every sport or amusement that a Muslim occupies himself with is Baatil (baseless, null and not permissible) -- except three: (the three types beings his practicing with your bow (and arrow); his training horse and his playing with his family." (Ibn Maajah. It was declared authentic by al-Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan Ibn Maajah 2/132. no. 2267 [2811]. See also Silsilah Saheehah 1/562, no. 315)
Allaah Ta'ala says in the Qur'aan:
''The life of this world is but play and amusement, and the abode of the Hereafter is best for those who Fear (Allaah). '' (Al Qur'aan 6:32)
The above stated Hadith and verse of the Qur'aan. as well as many other the Qur'aan and Ahadith make it quite clear that Islaam does not tolerate futility, idle sport and amusement. This is so because amusement and entertainment divert one's attention from the Remembrance of Allaah Ta'ala. It also interferes with one's worship causing neglect of Salaat (in general) and the congregational prayers (particularly for the men). Amusement and entertainment which Islaam describes as Lawh, la'b make a person indolent, negligent and irresponsible. Hence, we find the Messenger of Allaah (blessings of Allaah and peace be upon him) condemning very strongly even such play as chess and backgammon, etc., in the following hadith: "Whosoever plays with chess and backgammon is like one who has dyed his hands with the flesh and blood of swine." (Muslim 4/1222 no. 5612)
Research on Television has shown...
Research studies on the effects and influence of television on society has shown:
• That the average American child stares at more than 11 000 murders on television by the age of 14.
• That most American children spend more time before a set than with their teacher in any one year.
• That in a national survey many young viewers claimed to watch television for up to 46 hours a week.
• That Television takes one away from reality.
• That TV has created a avast tribe of mini-stars, pop-idols, schmaltzy gurus, talking-heads, telegogues and cardboard 'personalities' whose only achievement is to be on the box.
• That TV causes lethargy in children.
• That Television is responsible for the falling standard of literacy.
• That millions of dollars are spent by advertisers to 'brainwash' children by means of television to increase demand for consumer goods.
• That Television makes viewers insensitive to violence Numerated by others.
• That public apathy and failure to respond to a victim's cries for help is blamed on Television.
• That Television is detrimental to the physical and mental health of children...
What They Say About Television
"The Church of England General Synod, in a report to a Government appointed committee deplores scenes of heavy drinking, chain smoking and casual use of obscene language and blasphemous language on TV." (Eastern Province Herald, 23rd October, 1975)
The psychiatrists, Dr. William Tompkins of the George Washington School of Medicine, and Dr. Paul Fink of the East Virginia Medical School, have been engaged in intensive research into the effect on people if television advertising. They say that TV commercials "encourage belief in mysticism by making viewers believe they can get what they want almost by magic."
Dr. Tompkins says: "Television advertising gets us to accept nonsense and leads us to go looking for a fantasy world. ''
"...the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) was ticked of by the House and Senate Appropriation Committee and told to report on fresh measures to curb video violence or face 'punitive action '. ''
Mr. Tindall, Director of the Audio-visual Center of Sydney Teachers' College said: "Children were learning that violence is not only rampant but frequently justified."
"For years, people had been saying the good thing about TV was that it brought news to the living room. But the survey indicated that few children, if given the option, watched the news or current affairs.''
"An almost unbelievable avalanche of sex, perversion, ****ography, blue films, sadism, masochism, bestiality, murder, rape and brutality has flooded into the public view through the modern 'boob tube' of television, or the movies and lurid novels.''
"In British television, almost unbelievable references to lewdness, perverted sex and depravity are as open and unabashed as news reports.'' (Tomorrow's World, August 1971)
Television and Time
Television undoubtedly dominates the free time or leisure of millions who have become addicted to it. Hours of precious time are daily squandered in the presence of the 'I'V set. This malady of wasting hours daily doing 'justice to the TV screen' is so serious that even necessary and important work and activities are neglected, especially when the 'I'V program or serial clashes with the time when a particular work has to be done. The Eastern Province Herald dated 23rd October 1975, states in a report:
"Britons spend more time with television than with radio, books, theater and newspaper combined."
"The average person watches television nine hours and six minutes a week in winter and seven hours 42 minutes in summer but these estimates seem conservative."
''Three-quarters of homes in one British Midlands industrial area found to have the 'telly' on the entire evening everyday and in one national survey many young viewers claimed to watch for up to 46 hours a week."
''When early in 1974 the Government put 10:30p.m. curfew on television to save electricity for several weeks the outcries were loud and long.''
A recent survey conducted by the Audio-visual Center of Sydney Teachers' College (Australia) revealed that the average child watched over 21 hours of TV a week. Mr. Tindall, Director of the Center asked: "What does TV offer the child in exchange for about 1100 hours of almost undivided attention each year?"
Time in lslam is of great importance. So important indeed is Time that Almighty Allaah in the Qur'aan takes an Oath by Time, and says: "Wal-Asri" -- By the Token of Time.
A Muslim is not permitted to waste time, more so. when the wasting of time is a result of an institution portraying vice and evil, and when the wasting of time on a practice or 'past-time' involves interference or neglect with ones duties to Allaah and man. The addictive grip of television over its viewers is so powerful that the viewer becomes a helpless victim wasting sacred hours glued to the TV screen, thus neglecting his Salaat, his family duties and his social duties. The student, undoubtedly neglects his studies and learning. In a survey, teachers have said that a direct link exists between television and the failing standard of literacy, particularly among lethargic children continually sitting up late in front of the "goggle box".
"By the Time, Verily! Man if in loss, Except those who believe (in Islaam) and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth, and recommend one another to patience." (Al-Qur'aan 103)
Should anyone be watching television?

Globalpeace

Banned
The third Parent (Television)

The Third Parent (Televison)
by Muhammad Alshareef
As Allâh - the Most High - states, it is part of our belief that we shall be questioned and are responsible for the following:
Verily! Hearing, Sight, and the heart, all will be questioned (by Allâh). [Al-Isrâ (17):36]
And as the Rasul'Allâh - sallallâhu 'alayhi wa sallam - said, on the Day of Repayment, no one will move until they are asked about three things ... "And his youth - what he exhausted it with?"
A close friend of mine told me his experience when leaving Canada to go overseas and study Islâm. He said that he went to a person's house to say salâm to the family and as he left he noticed the son - who was 7 years old at the time - slacked out on his stomach, chin locked in his two hands, staring deathly at the TV. He says, when he returned after a full 4 years, he entered the same house and found the same boy slacked out on his stomach, chin locked in his two hands, staring deathly at the TV - only now he was 4 years older.
Today - insha'Allâh - we would like to speak about TV and it's dark side. It is not our intention to make you race home to throw the TV off the balcony - although that would be nice. It is our hope that you will leave today insha'Allâh with a better understanding of the destructive nature the TV has on a persons life and hereafter, not only his own, but also his family and children.
In Qawâ'id Fiqhiyyah there is a principle that says, 'Al-Wâsâ'il ta'khudhu Hukm al-Ghâyât' that 'The means takes the same ruling as the intention of what is trying to be attained.' A Television set, with the wires, screen, box, and plug is nothing more than a means. It is what is trying to be attained by that box that makes it Harâm or Halâl. Similar to a gun, something that can be used for noble purposes, such as defending one's land from aggression, or can be a means of considerable harm - especially when given to a child.
In an Arab ESL class, the teacher - as his opening class - would ask the students what English words were taken from the Arabic. A few hands would jerk up and say things like, 'Chemistry from Kîmiyâ', Algebra from AlGebr, Physics from Fîsiyâ', etc.' Then he would interestingly ask them what Arabic words were taken from the English, the answers come quick, 'Râdiyo from Radio, Dosh from Satellite Dish, and of course Tilfâz from TV.'
What did the west take from us, and what did we take from them?
Hence Shaykh Ibn Bâz (may Allâh have mercy on him) said in al-Fatâwa 3/227:
With regard to television, it is a dangerous device and its harmful effects are very great, like those of the cinema, or even worse.
We know from the research that has been written about it and from the words of experts in Arab countries and elsewhere enough to indicate that it is dangerous and very harmful to Islâmic beliefs ('aqîdah), morals and the state of society.
This is because it includes the presentation of bad morals, tempting scenes, immoral pictures, semi-nakedness, destructive speech, and Kufr.
It encourages imitation of their conduct and ways of dressing, respect for their leaders, neglect of Islâmic conduct and ways of dressing, and looking down on the scholars and heroes of Islâm. It damages their image by portraying them in an off-putting manner that makes people despise them and ignore them.
It shows people how to cheat, steal, hatch plots and commit acts of violence against others.
Without doubt, anything that produces so many bad results should be stopped and shunned, and we have to close all the doors that could lead to it. If some of our brothers denounce it and speak out against it, we cannot blame them, because this is a part of sincerity towards Allâh and towards other people.
In Sahîh al-Bukhâri, when Gurâyj was praying and his mother called him, he said to himself, "O Allâh, my Salâh or my mother?" He did not know whether to continue his prayer or discontinue it and reply the wishes of his Mother. She cursed him. And her curse was one that we may inadvertently be doing to our children the day we sanctioned the introduction of the third parent called TV. She said, "May you see a prostitute!" She did not say, may there be any relationship between you and a prostitute, no she just said may you see one. HOW many times has the main theme of prime time TV revolved around prostitutes? HOW MANY TIMES have our children witnessed it? How many times have they been cursed to be in such a situation?
Abdullâh ibn 'Umar - radiallâhu 'anhu - once passed by some people killing time by playing chess. He became shocked at what was happening and angrily said to them - quoting the verse of Qur'ân, "What are these IDOLS that you are standing in vigilance over?" What would he think if he saw the Ummah and it's welcomed hug in most Muslim homes.
When a Muslim nation watches their country play in the World Cup, over 3 million Muslims from that one country tune in. Times that by the duration of the match, 3 hours, and you'll have 9 million hours of the Ummah's time wasted on a football game. In one sweeping night. If Karl Marx said in 1844 that 'Religion is the opium of people', then what about TV?
Dear brothers and sisters, Rasul'Allâh - sallallâhu 'alayhi wa sallam - said, "The person shall be (on the day of Judgement) with those that they love." Tell that to a Muslim child, that on the Day of judgement, if they love Michael Jordan so much they'll get to be with him on that horrific day. It's sad, but most Muslim children would get happy and excited about the prospect - isn't that enough to strike fear into our hearts? Who are the Muslim children really going to be with on the Day of Repayment? Most of them cannot tell you the names, just the names, of those people that we hope them to be with!
Let's ask ourselves, if we gave a chance for our sons or daughters to put up a poster of their hero, the one whom they think is the 'coolest' - would it be their father or mother? Would it be the Prophet or his Companions? OR would it be a basketball player that he saw on TV? Or an actor (even cartoon) that he saw on TV? Or a model that she saw on TV? Or a musician that he/she saw on TV? Who would it be?
Ok, the TV is monitored in the house by the parent, correct? (95% of parents with children 8 and up don't monitor). Now what happens if the parent dies on the way to work one day and the children inherit the TV? Rasul'Allâh - sallallâhu 'alayhi wa sallam - said, "There is not a single shepherd (Ameer) that Allâh entrusted with a flock - who dies and in a state where he cheated them - except that Allâh shall forbid him from entering paradise!" The 'Ulamâh would quote this hadîth in light of the father in a Muslim country that would allow a Satellite Dish to enter his family which Allâh entrusted him with.
Dear brothers and sisters, we are not here on earth to entertain ourselves to death. We are an Ummah with a Risâlah! When Rib'î ibn 'آmir - radiallâhu 'anhu - stood in the hands of the king of Persia, he announced the message as clear and as proud as every Muslim should, "Allâh sent us to rescue humanity from slavery to slaves - to the slavery of the Lord of all slaves; And to rescue them from the choke of the material life to the expanse of this life and the next, and from the corruption of the cults to the justice of Islâm!"
If we don't know how to read Qur'ân, why aren't we registering for the Qur'ân institute here at Al-Huda. If we don't know the language of the Qur'ân and Sunnah, why aren't we registering for the Arabic institute? If we don't know about the life of Rasul'Allâh - sallallâhu 'alayhi wa sallam - and his companions - radiallâhu 'anhum - why aren't we coming to the Sîrah and Fiqh classes on Fridays and Saturdays?
Doesn't Allâh - the Most High - tell us in the Qur'ân:
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allâh is All-Aware of what they do. [An-Nûr (24):30 ]
How do reconcile those verses with the television that assaults our eyes with Harâm almost every second that it is on? How do we reconcile it?
Have you heard of Cupid? Of course we have. They portray Cupid in cartoons and comedies as a chubby child with wings who is supposed to be the Angel of Love, shooting arrows of 'love' when the male looks at the female. Rather dear brothers and sisters, it is Iblîs! For Rasul'Allâh - sallallâhu 'alayhi wa sallam - told us, "Verily the 'look' is a poisoned arrow from the arrows of Iblîs!"
Shaykh at-Tahhân once told his students, "It was late at night when our phone rang one day. This Muslimah whispered into the phone, 'Is this Shaykh at-Tahhân?' I said, 'Yes it is me.' She kept saying is it really you? And he said, 'Yes, what is wrong?' At that she just started sobbing and sobbing into the phone. After some time, she explained, 'The children's father bought a TV and video 2 days ago. Tonight I found my young son practicing the Harâm that he saw on his younger sister!' Then she collapsed sobbing again."
Everything starts with a look / and big fires start from a little spark.
Turn OFF TV, Turn ON Life
After a gruelling first year in the Faculty of Sharî'ah, I came home to Canada where I spoke to a friend whom I hadn't spoken to for over a year. In the conversation he said, "Last night on TV Seinfeld said ... " I was puzzled and realized that for an entire year I had not heard anything other than Imâm Shâfi'î said, and Imâm Abû Hanîfah said. It was an ignorance that as Shaykh Abdul-Muhsin al-'Abbâd would say 'that we ask Allâh - the Most High - to increase us in it's ignorance.'
Some people argue that TV is just a harmless avenue of entertainment and that there should not be a big deal made about it. It is interesting however that we see in Sharî'ah that what is more deadly than Harâm is Bid'ah. Why you ask? Because when someone does Harâm like eating pork, he knows it is Harâm and that one day it is hoped that knowledge will lead him to fear Allâh and refrain. Bid'ah - on the other hand - is something a person does with the hope of reward from Allâh, something that the person considers to be 'harmless'. It is deadlier because the chances of this person correcting the situation are less due to the ignorance which causes lack of motivation.
Other people will say that we have a TV for the news and Islâmic or educational programs? Dear brothers and sisters, is there no other avenue to get the news? Is there no other means by which a child can be educated and stimulated to learning?
Didn't anyone ask why we get all this 'FREE' TV? What does the TV sell? No it doesn't sell Coke or Nike or McDonalds burgers, it sells the AUDIENCE TO ADVERTISING COMPANIES! Why do you think they charge $1 million for 30 seconds of advertising in a Superbowl game?
Consider these facts:
Brand loyalty starts at age 2 - they can snatch a child into a lifetime of allegiance to their product from that tender age. How old were you when you started loving Coke or Pepsi?
On average, a viewer watches 20,000 commercials each year. If we repeated a page of Qur'ân to you that many times, do you think you would memorize it?
This is just for the products, what about the 'Aqîdah that they are being taught, a whole stack of beliefs that gets fed to them every time they sit to listen to their third parent. Where are the horrific stats for that?
To give just a simple example that we all know, go to a lecture where the Imâm is talking about women's rights in Islâm. Listen to the Muslim males and females debate with the Imâm. Where did they get their points? Where did they become so hostile to anything that contradicts the Western view of women's rights? Why is there no hostility to the Western view?
Most of it was learnt on TV, the rest was learnt in the public school curriculum.
If this is the programming, the brain washing of our youth, then where shall they be reprogrammed when they prefer the TV over anyone else. Dear brothers and sisters, it is a fact that more than half of American children would rather watch TV than spend time with their mother or father.
After surveying a lot of young children and asking them what is the one thing that they would sacrifice their favourite TV shows for, many replied that if there were some sort of outside activity they would give preference to that. Meaning, if someone took them by the hand and organized some after school activities they would embrace the idea.
Here are some other things that you can do instead of being shackled to the TV, the option is yours:

- Play outdoor games
- Build extra curricular skills, such as martial arts or calligraphy or sewing or
- Visit the library.
- Take on a job where they one can become serious about life and work.
- Do acts of worship such as reciting dhikr and wird, salâh, reading Qur'ân, fasting, and thinking about the signs of Allâh in His creation.
- Adopt an Islâmic cause in the place where you live, and take part in it, such as teaching Muslim girls.
- Support an Islâmic magazine by sending articles, statistics and useful information of interest concerning Muslims in the West.
- Take part in charitable projects to help Muslim orphans, widows, divorcees and elderly, or joining a committee to help organize social programs and celebrations for Muslims on 'Eid.
- Find righteous friends to meet with and good neighbours to visit.
- Read Islâmic books in particular and useful stories in general.
- Take part in da'wah activities, men or women's activities and preschool programs in Islâmic centres.
- Listen to tapes and lectures, write summaries of them, and distribute the summaries to anyone who could benefit from them.
- Do arts and crafts.
- Cook items to be sold to raise funds for the Islâmic centre.
- Take an interest in computers and computer programs. This is a vast field that can fill a lot of time, and the computer can be used to do a lot of good things as well as providing entertainment in the form of permissible games.
- Spinning, weaving, cutting out and sewing.
- Gardening.
- Exercising outside or at home.
In conclusion dear brothers and sisters, today is the beginning of a new day. Allâh gave us this day to use as we will. We can waste it or use it for something good and beneficial.
But let us know that what we do today is important because we are exchanging a day of our life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; and in it's place shall be something that we left behind ... lets let it be something good and something beneficial.

abu'muhammad

bismillahirrahmanirrahim

assalamu alaikum,

brother french muslim its nice to hear that u stopped listening to music. Its that islam preaches to control nerves,and to live the life that allah likes.

may allah bless us all

lillahil hamd

Abdul25

Logical Believer
i used to watch wrestling on TV when i was in Pakistan, but after coming to Germany i have abandoned watching it , i no more watch TV, but i cant help listening to music on internet i.e.youtube as i had been through difficult times in life in past so i have been addicted to music, but i a m trying to quit it.

may Allah guide us on the right path.