What does 786 mean?

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____
:salam2:

Last night, when I was at work, one team colleague (who is originally from Pakistan, Muslim by born) asked me if I know what does 786 stand for in Islam? (He found this number on one of the batches with Tax Returns which he supposed to complete that night). I was surprised by the question, as I have never heard about any of such things. He answered me that it's Islamic term and it means Bismillah or something like this. I was much more surprised but wanted to check it. My Teacher has sent to me this explanation found in internet and I decided to share it with you all, brothers and sisters.

What is 786 in Islam?

786 is numerological value to "Bismillah Ar Rahman Nir/ir Rahim" which has surfaced recent era and it is an innovation ( Bidah ) in Islam and it is forbidden or more specifically "Haram" since Quran opposes Astrology,fortune telling, Numerology and such business and queries.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Every innovation is misguidance and going astray, and all what drives man astray leads to Hell-Fire."

This tradition is not from the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, or his Companions. It developed much later, perhaps during the later ..Abbasid period.

Few people derived this 786 from the ancient arabic numerology and this sometimes also refers to a hindu religious slogan called " hare krishna " and makes it further unsuable.

Those who invented the "786", are GUILTY of tampering with the text of the Holy Qur'an. Muslims are invited to give up this EVIL and disgusting practice of using 786. It is, I repeat, an innovation, evil and in NO WAY sacred. It is a conspiracy against the kitaab (book) of Allah.

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____

Last night, when I was at work, one team colleague (who is originally from Pakistan, Muslim by born) asked me if I know what does 786 stand for in Islam? (He found this number on one of the batches with Tax Returns which he supposed to complete that night). I was surprised by the question, as I have never heard about any of such things. He answered me that it's Islamic term and it means Bismillah or something like this. I was much more surprised but wanted to check it. My Teacher has sent to me this explanation found in internet and I decided to share it with you all, brothers and sisters.

What is 786 in Islam?

786 is numerological value to "Bismillah Ar Rahman Nir/ir Rahim" which has surfaced recent era and it is an innovation ( Bidah ) in Islam and it is forbidden or more specifically "Haram" since Quran opposes Astrology,fortune telling, Numerology and such business and queries.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Every innovation is misguidance and going astray, and all what drives man astray leads to Hell-Fire."

This tradition is not from the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, or his Companions. It developed much later, perhaps during the later ..Abbasid period.

Few people derived this 786 from the ancient arabic numerology and this sometimes also refers to a hindu religious slogan called " hare krishna " and makes it further unsuable.

Those who invented the "786", are GUILTY of tampering with the text of the Holy Qur'an. Muslims are invited to give up this EVIL and disgusting practice of using 786. It is, I repeat, an innovation, evil and in NO WAY sacred. It is a conspiracy against the kitaab (book) of Allah.

From http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=389514342&blogId=505156541

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

i agree that it was not in the times of prophet :saw2: or sahabas (ra) and we should avoid it.

but i dont think that its numerology. because we dont predict the future frm this number. its only that each alphabet is given a particular number. and Bismillah Ar Rahman Nir Rahim becomes 786.

* the page u mentioned, there is no mention of the scholar or sheikh who wrote this article. so sister, we'll advice you to take knowledge frm authentic islamic sites like islamqa, islamonline.net, etc.

We are meant to understand that '786' stands for 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem'. How did it come about, and who started it? The numerals 786 in no way represent 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem' and is not the Sunnat way. If one fears abuse of the letter, etc. 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem' should be recited verbally at the beginning of the letter which will suffice for the written script. Refer below

CAN NUMBER 786 REPLACE THE HOLY NAME OF GOD? The innovation of writing '786' replacing 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem' has been adopted for a long time and the majority of the Ummah is still indulged in it advertently.

Apart from the common folk, the scholars also heed no attention towards it and to avoid disrespect to the Holy Words they use it in their letters and documents. They adopt it as 'correct' and 'better' way to invite Allah's
blessings and have also started replacing the Holy Words by this number on their houses, offices, buildings, etc. Unfortunately, this tendency is gradually gaining momentum. But, do we see this number instead of the Holy Words in the Holy Qur'aan? Or, can we write it there as well? can we remove 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem' from the top of Surah al-Faatiha and replace it with the number 786? Obviously not. If we study the Qur'aan, we see it carries the holy words in a letter from Prophet Solomon (pbuh) to the Queen of Sheeba -Bilqis - who was an infidel at that time. Even Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) in his letters to different heads of states and governments, used the holy words at the top.

Therefore, whosoever uses 786 with the intention to obtain Allah's blessings, is a misguided person and any attempt to justify it, is ignorance. More astonishing is that fact that '786' is an aggregation of the numbers of Hindu 'Lord Hari Krishna'. H(a)iri Kr(i)shna

h-5, r-200, r-10, k-20, r-200, sh-300, n-50, a-1 =Aggregate of 786

Thus, the aggregate number of these letters (Hari Krishna) equals 786. This is also the case of 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem'. Therefore, it is necessary to avoid using this number to avoid the danger of being indulging in infidelity. Islam's foundation is laid on the belief in Tawheed (oneness of God). If we associate anyone with Allah's exalted names orally or practically, we would be committing infidelity that is an unpardonable sin.

The Qur'aan warns us, one who finds a rival against Allah, Allah will never allow him to enter paradise, and his abode is the hell. The letters by the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) to non-Muslim Kings and chiefs bear the holy words 'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem'. This was also the case of his noble companions. Did the Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) and his companions respect the Holy Words less than we do? Was the verse, 'Today I completed your religion for you', revealed to the Prophet(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) or to the socalled scholars of our age who are all bent to amend the Divine principles.

Now, when it became known that '786' is written in place of Hindu, 'Lord Krishna', and has no significance in the Holy Qur'aan and Sunnah, it is obviously an innovation and goes against the Divine doctrine of 'Obey Allah and His Prophet'. Similarly, some Muslims replace Allah's name by the number '66' and the Prophet's name by '92'. But if one ask, the number '420' is used against somebody's name and he is called '420'.Can he bear such an insult? Calling someone by a nick name is a sin. Allah Ta'ala says, 'Don't call one another by nick names'. If Allah prohibits the use of nicknames for fellow human beings, how can He allow the use of such insulting replacement number for Himself and His Prophet (sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam).

'Bismillah Hirahmaan Niraaheem' has great significance in the Qur'aan and Muslims are ordered to begin any work but in the names Allah, not in the number of '786' or any other substitution.

4mMadara2Amina

Why in islam 786 is considered as a lucky number?

There have been various speculations about the mystical or religious significance of 786 in Islam for centuries. There is a famous poem praising Allah, titled Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim, which has exactly 786 letters. Some have argued that 786 is the number of days in which Allah created the world or the number of days in which Muhammad conquered the pagans of Mecca.

All Arabic copies of the Koran have the mysterious figure 786 imprinted on them . No Arabic scholar has been able to determine the choice of this particular number as divine. It is an established fact that Muhammad was illiterate therefore it is obvious that he would not be able to differentiate numbers from letters.

This "magical" number is none other than the Vedic holy letter "aum" written in Sanskrit (see the figure at the right). Anyone who knows Sanskrit can try reading the symbol for "aum" backwards in the Arabic way and magically the numbers 786 will appear! Muslims in their ignorance simply do not realise that this special number is nothing more than the holiest of Vedic symbols misread
4 years ago

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060914093358AABFxGs

4mMadara2Amina

Where did he get that from? What's funny is that he than went on to say; 'Muslims in their ignorance'.....

Not sure... Sometimes by reading so many sites can get confused. That is why I copied this one... I want to see the comments about it. :tti_sister:

mhamzah

Not sure... Sometimes by reading so many sites can get confused. That is why I copied this one... I want to see the comments about it. :tti_sister:

:salam2: sister,

yahoo answers is probably not the best source for Islamic knowledge [or for any other information for that matter]

May Allah swt guide us closer to the truth.

Abu hunaiff

assalaamu alaykum

The bottom line is the Qur'aan is Divine. It is the impeccable Word of Allah with no similitude whatsoever hence the challenge to anyone to produce something like it and todate not the jinn nor mankind has comeup with something, nay even a verse that can compare with the marvelous Qur'aan. The numeric values my brothers are quoting are nothing but human concoctions that can be immitated perfectly by anyone. Simply you can just use a computer to create any fantastic values. Therefore it impossible to ascribe the mystical values to the Qur'aan. The question just does not arise since one is Divine in origin and the other a figment of human imagination. Shukran

Al-Indunisiy

This "magical" number is none other than the Vedic holy letter "aum" written in Sanskrit (see the figure at the right). Anyone who knows Sanskrit can try reading the symbol for "aum" backwards in the Arabic way and magically the numbers 786 will appear! Muslims in their ignorance simply do not realise that this special number is nothing more than the holiest of Vedic symbols misread.

Just another reason for me to disdain eastern spirituality even more.