What does Islam say about depression

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
:salam2:

Some of my friends (mostly non muslims) ask me what does islam say regarding certain problems, and i usually know what to say but some people asked me what does islam say the cure for depression is ?

If someone knows the answer please reply
thank you

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
well, my mother is also suffering from depression , and i think dispersion is nothing, i feel people bring dispersion , by thinking , or by taking tension..to remove dispersion , nothing is possible, the person who is suffering from dispersion , should stop thinking , or stop taking tension, keeping them selves busy by reading quran, are doing something, if they keep thinking or taking tension , then it is very difficult them to leave... my mother is suffering from dispersion , so i know something about dispersion

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
well, my mother is also suffering from dipression , and i think dipperesion is nothing, i feel people bring dipperesion , by thinking , or by taking tension..to remove dippersion , nothing is possible, the person who is suffering from dipperesion , should stop thinking , or stop taking tension, keeping them selves buzy by reading quran, are doing something, if they keep thinking or taking tension , then it is very difficult them to leave... my mother is suffering from dipperesion , so i know something about dipperesion

JazakAllah khair for answer sister
but many times depression is linked to events in life that cannot be forgotten, or you know your stuck in a dead end on ur job, or you want to be good but there is no way to do that so your body goes in a conflict causings lots of depression.
Also, when nothing seems to be going ur way, i know u r right in what you said but people usually think when they have something going on

Nurain

Asalamu alaykum

http://www.positive-action.net/al-yusra/supplications.htm

Daily adhkar, Qur'an, try not to think too much. Seeing the way the world is may bother one with depression, needs to learn let go and realise we can't bear the burden of everything which cause distress to us.

Strive for khusyoo in solat. Don't quote me though, these are things which work for me. Though I personally feel, if there is physical illness, so is there a mental one.

Abu Hurairah narrates that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "When Allah wants to be good to someone, He tries him with some hardship."

Abu Hurairah also reports that Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said: "For every misfortune, illness, anxiety, grief, or hurt that afflicts a Muslim -even the hurt caused by the pricking of a thorn - Allah removes some of his sins."

Ibn Mas'ud said: "I visited the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, while he had a fever. I exclaimed: 'O Messenger of Allah! You have a high fever! ' He said: 'My fever is as much as two among you [might have]. ' I asked: 'Is it because you have a double reward?' He replied: 'Yes, that is right. No Muslim is afflicted with any hurt, even if it is no more than the pricking of a thorn, but Allah wipes off his sins because of it and his sins fall away from him as leaves fall from a tree'."

Robab

daughter of Adam
some of my suggestion

brother i think actually first thing is that
what is depression???
when some one take any thing intensely or thinking on it more and more then it is a depression.so we can solve this problem by spiritually and also mentally.by spiritually one should to take gusal or take wazoo.oh yes i also read a book about depression.there is stress on wazoo.wazoo control the depression.it is not my thinking sciientifically doctors gave this argument so we see that western countries is involve this situation than eastern people.after wazoo or gusal offer the prayer so one feel peace in one,s heart.
ohhooo yes u say ur friends is non muslim.so it is the best opportunity for u to give invitation of islam and guide them.
secondly by mentally first think one should why i am thinking on this topic which it give me tension??
second step is one change one,s topic and involve some one other useful thing.so that he feel rest and after relaxing then he think on his assue.so i think it is better for him.
brother it is my personal opinion about depression and i think every one feel depression.so my personal experience is that change ur interest so that control on ur deprsession.further details or conversation about it so u can tell us.ok allah hafiz
in last words i want to say in urdu.

jo cheez thukh day us say door ho jai start he say
warna bad ka thukh bardasht karna buhat mushkil hota hay.:)

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Now Let see how AL _ISLAM responds to thee question .

Depression VS Contentment

[yt]ZYyWPpzt9b8[/yt]

[yt]sxlb6mRbg0c&feature[/yt]

q8penpals

Salam

There is a difference between just being depressed, and clinical depression.

Just being depressed is what happens when something bad or unfortunate happens to you. You are sad or upset for a while, and gradually, the bad feelings go away. Think of just being depressed as a big dose of sadness - this happens to pretty much everyone at one or more points in their lives (death of a family member, loss of a job, house burns down, etc). In this case, people "go on" with life, although they may have reminders (maybe the first anniversary of a death) which trigger sadness again.

Clinical depression is what it is called when there is no underlying cause for the sadness that goes on for a long period of time (for instance, someone is extremely sad and crying all the time, but nothing bad has happened to them). People who are clinically depressed find it very difficult to even live their day-to-day lives. They can't just "go-on" with life, and become very dark (in their mind) and may have other effects, such as loss of sleep or appetite, thoughts of suicide, or lack of any physical energy.

Clinical depression can be assisted by having someone around to make sure a person gets up and gets moving every day, they eat healthy, and avoid sugar. Having a hobby with a friend (who will again, get you up and moving) can also help. If you have a friend who is Muslim, perhaps sitting and reading Quran together can be your "hobby". If you can't get pulled out (or pull your friend/family member out) of your depression, you may need to speak with a counselor first, or as a last resort, look to a medical professional for medical intervention.

If at any time a depressed person feels suicidal - GET HELP!

AyeshaL

Some of my friends (mostly non muslims) ask me what does islam say regarding certain problems, and i usually know what to say but some people asked me what does islam say the cure for depression is ?

If someone knows the answer please reply
thank you

Salaam :)
I'm not sure if it's a cure but I think remembering the bigger picture helps - that this life is just a test and a blink in an eye in comparison to whats to come. This is all just an illusion and what matters is how we react to our circumstances...tough times reminds us of the need for patience. They say what doesnt kill you makes you stronger - tough times is a way Allah tests those who believe to see if they really do and to improve their characters. For those who dont believe, maybe it is a way of making them reflect and think 'there must be more to it than this'. Their struggles are also a reminders to those who believe that we should help our brothers and sisters - both inside and outside the Ummah. Praying regular namaz definitely helps in this respect as it helps remind us five times a day that there is more to it than this and helps us not get so caught up in the everyday. I would also say that Islam holds family and relationships in high esteem and that depression can be eased with a strong support system around you. Hope this helps inshallah. Ws

asayed

depression and black magic

salam alaikum,

iam a muslim from canada and am going through severe depression due to alot of reasons which is very complex. i was never a religious person and since this disease i have been looking into islam and the quran. listening to variouse surahs at night before sleep since it clams me down or else i cant sleep. my mom tells me its black majic. i have been through hell and back several times and it is driving me nuts. i beleive in black majic and Jinn. My question is that how do u figure if your going through clinical depression or just situational depression. - DOES islam provide a cure for depression?

dr_faraha

well i am a doctor. Not psychiatrist i am rdiologist. what i believe is that as a muslim if one is a good muslim that is strong believer of GOD and mutaki then there is no place for depression in a muslim's life. I mean a good mutaki muslim cannot get depressed because he or she has strong belief in ALLAH. we get depressed when we r away from our islam. so stick to basics of the religeon and leave rest to ALLAH. enjoy this short life according to islam teaching and be prepared for the final day of judgement. MAY ALLAH HELP US ALL. AIMEN

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I am a medical student (3rd year) with a degree in Psychology and I strongly disagree with you. Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and one cannot simply "get over it." Now I am not talking about the person who is grieving natural grief due to a loss or trauma, but clinical depression. I am rounding in Psychitry presently and many of my patients have a very strong belief in God.

Just yesterday I was observing a group session that addressed grief and one patient said prayer was the only thing that saved her. Depression is a medical condition, just like a broke leg or collapsed lung or an infection. There are medications and counseling that can help the patient get on a more even keel. Sadly our society still stigmatizes these people who are struggling to get better, thus creating a bigger obstacle to overcome.

Brother, I suggest you do some reading and research in this area before passing such harsh judgement. You specialty is radiology so perhaps you should limit your medical opinion to your area of expertise. Or maybe you should rotate in a Psychiatric clinic for a few weeks and see it up close and personal.

Wasalaam

kayleigh

Totally agree with Shyhijabi.

Anyone who says that it's just someone you get over has no idea what they're talking about. I used to be depressed and suicidal for years. You don't just "get over" that.

I find that a lot of Muslims are really resistant to talking about mental health issues seriously and addressing it from a factual standpoint and I think that's because the cultures they come from shun talking about personal problems so openly like that. The response usually seems to be: suck it up and/or pray about it. Yeah, well, clearly if they knew what they were talking about they would know that that doesn't work.

You would treat depression just like anyone else would. Prayer won't magically cure serious mental illnesses like depression, though some people certainly use prayer and their religious as a support.

Therapy, a healthy lifestyle, and for some people, medication, is what can help with depression.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

What does Islam say about depression. Action. Prayer, Dua, Dhikr and Zakat.

Count your blessings. Move forward. We are on the path. We are striving on the Path.
Depression is a choice. I worked the field. I know it is a choice.

Many people are comforted by being depressed. When you are depressed you are not accountable.

Clinical depression can be successfully treated without medication. Clinical depression is best treated by renewal of faith.

strive-may-i

Many people are comforted by being depressed. When you are depressed you are not accountable.
Not accountable..hmm. I always thought its self pity , that makes some want to remain depressed. You think some Alcoholics, who always say 'I am drunkard', also do it to remain unaccountable?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, what is the old saying misery loves company. Yes, depression is as much a clock of comfort as is faith.

You can now tell I am teaching a happy happy group:

Allah loves those who have sabr. The Sabareen are those who are pleased to Serve Allah.

Think of this:
We think we can be depressed..well what about the Prophet Yunus when he was in the belly of the whale....he did not turn to medication...he turned to Allah and said AsthigfirAllah...this ain't where I want to be...and let me Pray my way outta here.

strive-may-i

Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, what is the old saying misery loves company. Yes, depression is as much a clock of comfort as is faith.

You can now tell I am teaching a happy happy group:

Allah loves those who have sabr. The Sabareen are those who are pleased to Serve Allah.

Think of this:
We think we can be depressed..well what about the Prophet Yunus when he was in the belly of the whale....he did not turn to medication...he turned to Allah and said AsthigfirAllah...this ain't where I want to be...and let me Pray my way outta here.
Jazakallaahu khairan, Aapa. And Where there is a will there is a way... TRUE :)

But maybe, there are extreme cases, that needs some medical help to give that extra push? And possibly, the medicines should also be encouraged, but without letting the patient to believe its the medications alone that can cure...

Old doctors, usually I felt (many agree to it), are less into medications. Doctors should not end up becoming prescription machines, nor the sales counter for the Billion Dollar Industry, but the aid to billion strong humans. Alas, Trade at any cost, is a priority now...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Exactly, medication stabilizes a person. It does not cure any depression. That is one of the problems of today. The focus is on the stabilization but not appropriate intervention.

But people are over diagnosed with depression. Big pharma wants everyone on magic pills.

serena77

salaams sister aapa
i will say w/ my bipolar disorder ... i believe ... as far as being accountable.. .that the disorder isnt my fault but.. it is my responsibility........ i agree not everyone sees it that way... but i have no choice but too.
Serena

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Bipolar is not depression. One of the symptoms of bipolar can be depressive episodes. But it is not depression.

When a person is in a depressive mode..they need to pray. They need to count the blessings and do good works. They need to engage in life.