What does Slave of Allah mean?

rayray

When you say that you are a slave of Allah? What does that really mean?

I have always seen God as a father. He provides, guides and loves me. And, as a daughter I happily obey him because I know that what he intends is only for my best interest. He created me because he loves me and wants me to experience "life" and be happy (the definition of those two terms however is subjective) But when you say that I am a slave, I imagine God to be cruel. He created us because he's bored and wants to entertain himself :/

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

:hawla:

in Islam, mostly in the past, if you had a "slave" at home, you needed to treat him/her in the best manners. I know you immagine just cruel acts and behaves towards him/her but that's not the islamic "picture" of the situation. That's what they show in christian movies (as I remember when I was watching some of them when I was younger and NOT a muslim).

a_stranger

Slaves means that we are owned by our creator ......actually all the creation belongs to the one who created .........:it is a fact and a very pleasent fact if you know the ture attributes of Allah our creator : absolutly merciful loving and just......When you relalize those facts a true motivation for all that is good and pure will drive you heart. The creator is more than a father ....much more (Glorified is he ubove all).....All that we are enjoying i(earth, sky, sun , moon, eyes, ears , minds ,bodies,sences ...breathes , beats of hearts ..................uncountable gifts are his favoures. AlhamduliAllah

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Calling us HIS(Allah's) slaves makes us all equal as every Muslim is equal in the sight of Allah(neither the Whites have any Superiority over the blacks nor the arabs over the non arabs), except in piety and good deeds.Hope you understood.

revert2007

Love Fishing
well the term slave that we know is not the same with the term of slave with Allah.

the term slave with Allah is used in the form of worship to Him.we are not being tortured,or we were put in hunger or abused by Allah.eventually He is the one helping us and giving us food,rezk and everything we need

in quran it is said that Allah created humans and jins only for one reason which is to worship Him alone.

so the term slave here means belong to Him alone and worship Him alone.

in normal life if u hv slave, that slave is belong to u alone and he does what u order ur slave to do and no one can own him.

the same is applied here.we are belong to Allah alone and we do what He has ordered us to do.

Anyway Ray,ask yourself...so far what has Muslims done in order to be Allah's slave?All they did is pray 5 times,fast in ramadhan,perform hajj if they are capable of doing so,pay zakat and always practise good morals and good life which we are all pleased with.

Muslim-life

Always Alhamdulilah
Assalamu alaikum my dear sister-

Just think about, being slave to NO OTHER than God??
Means you are free of everything, as long as you obey your God, the most mercifull most kind...

I think it is a proudness to be Slave to the One who owns everything!

wassalama alikium

take care <3

arzafar

By slave it's meant that we submit our will to the one and only God. We fear Him and worship Him alone and that is what we were created for.

the whole universe is in a state of submission to Allah. the planets move in certain path and continues to do so. matter behaves in a certain way, everything follows the laws ordained to it by Allah. Animals, plants, matter, atoms. so basically they are slaves of Allah. they don't have a choice

However, humans have the choice. they can either submit themselves to the one and only true God, Allah or they can submit themselves to His creations. If we live our life according to the laws that Allah has made for humans and worship Him the way He wants us to worship Him, Inshallah we'll be rewarded in the Hereafter.

Secondly, slave may seem like an offensive word but if you think about it we are all slaves to something or the other.
some people are slave to money. they'll kill, cheat and do anything to get their hands on more cash.
some are slave to their own desires. they just have to do whatever they desire, whether it be good or bad for them or for others.
some people are slaves to others. they have to be follow what the society says.

so again we have a choice we can be slave to Allah, or to anything else. Slave here means, controlling our own desires to follow the Divine Law (i.e. enjoy our lives within the boundaries set by Allah), and worshiping Allah alone in the manners He has commanded us to.

Right Side

The slave of Allah means the one who believe in Allah and obeys His rules which brings happiness to people. We Muslims don't associate ourselves with Allah. Therefore, we don't call ourselves as children of Allah. Allah has no image. How can God have an image?

There is only one God, Allah. The source of Islam, Judaism or Christianity is the same. People are free to accept or deny it.

a_stranger

I think that being a true good slave to our creator gives our souls a true freedom from chains of lusts ,whims, greed, anger, hate , all kinds of worldly objectives .........Islam frees man from slavery to his own desires and shaiytan and lift his soul to high domains of love of Allah sobhanahu wa taala (our creator) and all noble values like sincerity, truth, justice , equality unselfishness...........etc and Allah swt know best

Musulmanin

True Muslim = Servant of God

If you think about it, people are slaves(or servants) of something or someone. They are slaves of their desires (materialistic, sexual, etc) or slaves of other people by worshiping their significant others or movie, music starts and in many cases become servants of Satan by committing sins.

Muslims, or people who obey Creator and bow in Islam, strive to be servants of the Most-Merciful and Most-Just. I would rather be a servant in worship of the Creator rather than His creation.

I hope I helped.

samiha

---------
Staff member
When you say that you are a slave of Allah? What does that really mean?

I have always seen God as a father. He provides, guides and loves me. And, as a daughter I happily obey him because I know that what he intends is only for my best interest. He created me because he loves me and wants me to experience "life" and be happy (the definition of those two terms however is subjective) But when you say that I am a slave, I imagine God to be cruel. He created us because he's bored and wants to entertain himself :/

Hello, it's nice to see you on TTI and asking questions! And I know a lot of people have already answered this question beautifully, but I thought I'd input my 2 cents anyways. =)

You see, by the definition of 'slave' you put in the end of your question it shows the connotations that much of the world has put on the word slavery. Being that the master is cruel and slaves are a means for self pleasure. However, in Islaam being a slave is not like that at all! Similar to the feelings you described, it is a state of complete submissiveness. Allaah created us, He is thus our Master, in the sense that He knows what is best for us and will direct us to that and we will follow.

In arabic it is denoted by the letters ع ب د which have various meanings, of them to worship, adore, venerate, obey with submissiveness or humility, approve, apply, devote, obedience etc... and each are intrinsically connected and give a fuller meaning of the word intended - in this case being an 'Abd' or slave.

So you see, in these words there is no intention of degrading a person, no meaning of being lower as humans or anything of the like (although in comparison to God we certainly are not equal in status), but it shows the difference in classification of the one who we serve and worship (God) and the ones who serve and worship (us).

The only one we serve and are slaves to are our Lord.. If you look through history, you will find cruel rulers who are as you described, but we are not subservient to their whims which center around their own desires. Rather we serve only God and what He wishes of us. And so if you think about it, who better to be a slave to than the one who created and loves us? Who else is better to unconditionally follow and obey? I honestly cant think of anyone else, as they are all fallible while He is not.

Which is why I will proudly say "Ana 'amat Allah wal hamdulillah 'ala ni'matil Islaam" :SMILY252: "I am a slave of Allaah and all Praise and thanks are due to Allaah for the blessing of Islaam"

I hope I made sense. =)