What is Jihad?

PeacefulHumanity

:)Smile! It's Sunnah
:salam2:

I've heard the term thrown around by the media and by Muslims. It seems to mean so many different things to everyone, but I want to know what it means once and for all. Is it a "Holy War against the Infidels" or is it a "struggle to follow the way of Allah (SWT)." If it really and indisputably means a war, why aren't all the Muslims of the world engaging in a war right now? If it means something more benign, why do people tell me it is a war that has to happen? I'm so confused. Why do Muslims in America, Muslims in the Middle East and media all have a different view of it?

elqouds2020

قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم:

(توشك ان تداعى عليكم الامم كما تداعى الاكلة الى قصعتها) قيل (اومن قلة نحن يومئذ؟)

قال (بل انتم كثير ولكن كغثاء السيل ويوشك الله ان ينزعن المهابة من صدور اعداءكم

وان يقذف فى قلوبكم الوهن) قيل (وما الوهن؟) قال (حب الدنيا وكراهية الموت )

elqouds2020

The Messenger of Allah peace be upon him:

(Is about to falter, you nations, as eaters to the bowl) was said (we believe the lack of that day?)

He said (but you are great, but the scum Torrent and about God that tend prestige of the issuance of your enemies

And that the weakness in your hearts shooting) was (and weakness?) Said (love this world and hatred of death)

PeacefulHumanity

قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم:

(توشك ان تداعى عليكم الامم كما تداعى الاكلة الى قصعتها) قيل (اومن قلة نحن يومئذ؟)

قال (بل انتم كثير ولكن كغثاء السيل ويوشك الله ان ينزعن المهابة من صدور اعداءكم

وان يقذف فى قلوبكم الوهن) قيل (وما الوهن؟) قال (حب الدنيا وكراهية الموت )

Is that a literal translation? I don't understand it; could you give a more contemporary translation? Thanks

elqouds2020

أسال من جلت قدرته
وعلا شأنه
وعمت رحمته
وعم فضله
وتوافرت نعمه
أن لا يرد لك دعوة
ولا يحرمك فضله
وان يغدق عليك رزقه
ولا يحرمك من كرمه
وينزل في كل أمر لك بركته
ولا يستثنيك من رحمته ويجعلك من
إن لله تعالي أهلين من الناس هم أهل القرآن أهل الله وخاصته

PeacefulHumanity

أسال من جلت قدرته
وعلا شأنه
وعمت رحمته
وعم فضله
وتوافرت نعمه
أن لا يرد لك دعوة
ولا يحرمك فضله
وان يغدق عليك رزقه
ولا يحرمك من كرمه
وينزل في كل أمر لك بركته
ولا يستثنيك من رحمته ويجعلك من
إن لله تعالي أهلين من الناس هم أهل القرآن أهل الله وخاصته

I'm sorry, I should have made it clearer: I don't understand Arabic at all. These Arabic posts aren't really doing it for me.

Perseveranze

There are many kinds of Jihad, both physical and spiritual.

This might be helpful -

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Once this is understood, then jihad is of four kinds: Jihad al-nafs (jihad against one’s self), jihad al-Shaytaan (jihad against the Shaytaan), jihad against the kaafirs and jihad against the hypocrites.

Jihad al-nafs (jihad against one’s self) is of four kinds:

1 – Striving to learn the teachings of Islam without which one cannot attain success and happiness in this world or in the Hereafter; if this is missing then one is doomed to misery in this world and in the Hereafter.

2 – Striving to make oneself act in accordance with what one has learned. Simply knowing without acting, even though it may not cause any harm, is not going to bring any benefit.

3 – Striving to call others to Islam, teaching those who do not know about it. Otherwise one will be one of those who conceal that which Allaah has revealed of guidance and teaching, and it will not benefit him or save him from the punishment of Allaah.

4 – Striving to bear patiently the difficulties involved in calling people to Allaah and the insults of people; bearing all that for the sake of Allaah.

If a person achieves all these four levels, then he will be one of the rabbaaniyyeen (learned men of religion who practise what they know and also preach to others. Cf. Aal ‘Imraan 3:79). The salaf were agreed that the scholar does not deserve to be called a rabbaani unless he knows the truth, acts in accordance with it and teaches it to others. Whoever teaches, acts in accordance with his knowledge and has knowledge, he will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jihad against the Shaytaan is of two types:

1 – Warding off the doubts that he stirs up to undermine faith.

2 – Striving against him to ward off the corrupt desires that he provokes.

The first jihad is followed by certainty of faith, and the second is followed by patience. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We made from among them (Children of Israel), leaders, giving guidance under Our Command, when they were patient and used to believe with certainty in Our Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.)”

[al-Sajdah 32:24]

Allaah tells us that leadership in religion is attained through patience and certainty of faith. Patience wards off desires and certainty wards off doubts.

Jihad against the kaafirs and hypocrites is of four kinds: with the heart, the tongue, one’s wealth and oneself. Jihad against the kaafirs is more along the lines of physical fighting whereas jihad against the hypocrites is more along the lines of using words and ideas.

Jihad against the leaders of oppression and innovation is of three kinds:

1 – Jihad with one's hand (i.e., physical jihad, fighting) if one is able. If that is not possible then it should be with one's tongue (i.e., by speaking out). If that is not possible then it should be with one's heart (i.e., by hating the evil and feeling that it is wrong).

These are the thirteen types of jihad, and “Whoever dies without having fought or having resolved to fight has died following one of the branches of hypocrisy.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1910).

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 3/9-11)

saifkhan

abd-Allah
As salam alaykum warahamtu-llah

Barak Allahu feekum for sharing from Zaad al Ma'ad, brother Perseveranze.

however, PeacefulHumanity, i think what you are looking for you have got general idea from the above post, however, please refer to the lecture:

Jihad or Terrorism: Sheikh Khalid Yasin

[yt]AUL-0E6p98w[/yt]

insha Allah this may help you

fee amani-llah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam alaikum,

There is an excellent pdf here on TTI, somewhere here, I think the abbreviated version is around 26 pages..maybe upto 72...however, it is excellent in terms of providing the criteria for jihad.

The criteria for external jihad or community defense is extensive. There is caution about the dangers that face individual jihad. We seek the middle of the Path. We have to be absolute in our understandings of any matter.

The English translation of the title is roughly What Allah Loves And What Allah Hates. Please respond after you read it, InshaAllah.

PeacefulHumanity

Asalaam alaikum,

There is an excellent pdf here on TTI, somewhere here, I think the abbreviated version is around 26 pages..maybe upto 72...however, it is excellent in terms of providing the criteria for jihad.

The criteria for external jihad or community defense is extensive. There is caution about the dangers that face individual jihad. We seek the middle of the Path. We have to be absolute in our understandings of any matter.

The English translation of the title is roughly What Allah Loves And What Allah Hates. Please respond after you read it, InshaAllah.

:salam2:

Where would I start looking for this PDF? I've always found the vBulletin search utility difficult to use.