What is Minor Shirk?

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
attachment.php

As-salam Alaykum Wa-rahmatullahi Wa-barakatuh

What is Minor Shirk?

Minor shirk is 'ar-riyaa' which is to beautify an action which is initially intended for Allaah, for the sake of showing off or gaining praise.

Allaah, the Most High, says, "So whoever hopes for the Meeting with his Lord, let him work righteousness and associate none as a partner in the worship of his Lord." (al-Kahf: 110)

The Prophet :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "That which I fear for you most is the minor shirk." Then he was asked about it, so he :saw:(sallallaahualaihi wasallam) replied, "ar-riyaa (showing off)." [1]

Then, he :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) explained it saying, "A man stands in prayer, and beautifies it due what he notices somebody else looking at him." [2]

And from this shirk is swearing by other than Allaah, such as swearing by forefathers, the rivals (set up alongside Allaah), the Ka'bah, and honesty etc. The Prophet :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "Do not swear by your fathers or mothers or the rivals (set up alongside Allaah)." [3]

He :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "Do not say, 'By the Ka'bah', rather say, 'By the Lord of the Ka 'bah'. " [4]

He :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "Do not swear by anyone except Allaah." [5]

He :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "He who swears in the name of honesty is not from amongst us." [6]

He :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "He who swears by other than Allaah has committed kufr (disbelief) or shirk." And in another narration, "Kufr and shirk." [7]

And from minor shirk is the saying, "Whatever Allaah wills and you will." The Prophet :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, to the one who said that, "Have you made me a rival (or partner) to Allaah, rather say, 'Whatever Allaah alone wills.'" [8]

And from minor shirk is the saying, "Had it not been for Allaah and you ...." and, "I have no one but Allaah and you." and, "I ask Allaah and you." and the likes of this.
The Prophet :saw: (sallallaahualaihi wasallam) said, "Do not say, 'Whatever Allaah wills and so and so wills', rather say, 'Whatever Allaah wills then whatever so and so wills.'" [9]

The people of knowledge have said that it is permissible to say, "Had it not been for Allaah then so and so..." but not, "Had it not been for Allaah and so and so ..."

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
=============
NOTES
=============
////////////////

[1] The hadeeth is saheeh (authentic) and it is reported by Ahmad (5/428), al-Baghawee in "Sharh us-Sunnah" (14/324) and al-Haithamee in Majma' uz-Zawaaid (1/108) and he said, "It is reported by Ahmad and at-Tabaraanee, and the narrators of Ahmad are those of the Saheeh (al-Bukhaaree)." And it is mentioned by Shaikh al-Albaanee in "Silsilah as-Saheehah" (no. 951) where the Shaikh stated that the chain is good.

[2] The hadeeth is hasan (good) and is part of a hadeeth reported by Ahmad (3/30) and Ibn Maajah (4257) and it is mentioned by Shaikh al-Albaanee in "Saheeh Targheeb wat-Tarheeb", where the Shaikh mentioned that the hadeeth is hasan and traced it back to al-Baihaqee, as well.

[3] Reported by Abu Dawood in Kitaab ul-Aymaan wan-Nudhoor (oaths and vows), Chapter: The prohibition of swearing by the fathers (no. 3248). And reported by an-Nasaaee in Kitaab ul-Aymaan wan-Nudhoor, Chapter: Swearing by the mothers (7/5). And Shaikh Naasir ud-Deen al-Albaanee indicated towards the authenticity of the hadeeth in "Saheeh ul-Jaami' " (no. 2126) and the rest of the hadeeth is, "...and do not swear by anyone except Allaah, and do not swear except that you are truthful."

[4] Reported by an-Nasaaee in Kitaab ul-Aymaan wan-Nudhoor, Chapter: Swearing by the Ka'bah (7/6) (no. 3773) and reported by Ahmad in the "Musnad" (6/371,72) and al-Haakim in his "al-Mustadrak" in al-Aymaan wan-Nudhoor (4/297) where he said, "This hadeeth has a saheeh chain" and adh-Dhahabee agreed with him, and it was also authenticated by Ibn Hajar in "al-Isaabah" (4/389).

[5] Part of a hadeeth which is reported by Abu Dawood and an-Nasaaee, whose reference has preceded in footnote no. 5. Reported by al-Bukhaaree and Muslim from the hadeeth of Abdullaah bin Umar (radiallaahu anhu) with the wording, "Verily Allaah forbids you from swearing by your fathers, so whoever wishes to take an oath then let him swear by Allaah, otherwise he should remain silent." Reported by al-Bukhaaree in Kitaab ul-Aymaan, Chapter: Do not swear by your fathers (7/221) and by Muslim in Kitaab ul-Aymaan, Chapter: The prohibition of swearing by other than Allaah, the Most High (5/80).

[6] Reported by Abu Dawood from Ibn Buraydah from his father, in Kitaab ul-Aymaan (3/223) and it was mentioned by Shaikh Naasir ud-Deen al-Albaanee in "Silsilah as-Saheehah" (vol. 1, no. 94). And the Shaikh quotes from al-Khataabee in "Ma'aalim us-Sunan" (4/358), who commenting upon this hadeeth said, "And maybe the reason for this prohibition is due to the fact that he ordered the taking of oaths by using Allaah's Names and Attributes, and honesty is not one of the reported attributes of Allaah, rather it is a command from His commandments and an obligation from amongst His obligations, so it is forbidden due to what it contains of equality between honesty and Allaah's Names and Attributes."

[7] Reported by Abu Dawood in Kitaab ul-Aymaan (3/223,224) and similarly by at-Tirmidhee in Kitaab ul-Aymaan, Chapter: The prohibition of swearing by other than Allaah. (4/110) (no. 1535) and he mentioned that the hadeeth is hasan saheeh. And it is reported by al-Haakim in his "al-Mustadrak" (4/297) and he said the hadeeth is saheeh according to the conditions of the two Shaikhs (al-Bukhaaree & Muslim) and adh-Dhahabee agreed with him.

[8] Reported by al-Bukhaaree in "al-Adab al-Mufrad" (p. 265), Chapter: The saying of the man, "'Whatever Allaah wills and you will.' (no. 784), and by Ibn Maajah (no. 213), and Ahmad in his "Musnad" (1/214) and it was mentioned by Shaikh al-Albaanee in "Silsilah as-Saheehah" (no. 139).

[9] Reported by Abu Dawood (no. 4980) and Ahmed in his "Musnad" (5/384) and Shaikh al-Albaanee indicated towards its authenticity in "Silsilah as-Saheehah" (no. 138).

al-Haafidh al-Hakamee A’laam as-Sunnah al-Manshoorah li I’tiqaad at-
Taaifah an-Naajiyah al-Mansoorah Translated by Abul Irbaad Abid Zargar

=====================

<wasalam Alaykum>

M

Mehry

:bismillah: .

:salam2:

:ma: bro.............I have read it my self, ma mom told me and i've heard it from lots of muslim people that its a shirk if we swear by others except Allah (swt)
:jazaak: 4 sharing

May Allah (swt) guide us all to the right path inshAllah

:wasalam: