What is the logical and islamic view on intuition?

True_Sultan

A logical believer
Salam to all the brothers and sisters on TTI.

Guess who's back (again) its me your favourite bro :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

Ahah so i was doing some religious research because Ramadan is close (early Ramzan kareem) and I do not want to make a mistake. Along my research i have come along the subject of intuition. Now aparently there is 3 types of intuition:

1). Pyscological Intuition: An Intuition that occurs soley from the persons mental state.

2). Shaitanic Intuition: An intuition that occurs due to external dealing with jinns and devils.

3). Heavenly Intuition: An intution that occurs by an external force either by God or by an angel.

Now i was wondering that is the ruling on this? Are most intuitions either shaitanic or pyscological or is there a chance that some intuition is of the 3rd type? I was just wondering because it could maybe help in clarifying my search?

Jakkaz Allah Kharin in advance.

JenGiove

:salam2: Brother,

There are some here who would say that you can not trust a non-Muslim to provide accurate information regarding Muslim matters but I think otherwise IF the information provided is not of their making. I found this for you. I hope it helps.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12778/intuition

Intuition
ar - en - fr - ur

Are kashf and ilham true in the light of islam? Sufis every time claim to have the knowledge of the unseen and they call it as kashf and ilham. Some people justify this by saying that when umar (ra) was once giving khutba he told that there is an army in the battlefield. Kindly explain.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The kashf (intuition, insight, finding out about things that are unseen) that may happen to a person is of several kinds. One type is psychological, which both Muslims and kaafirs have in common. Another kind is spiritual, which comes via revelation. A third type is satanic, which comes via the jinn.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

We do not deny that people may experience some kind of kashf, whether when awake or in their dreams when the soul is less connected to the body, either by means of spiritual practices or otherwise. This is the psychological kashf which is the first type of kashf.

But it is also proven through rational evidence as well as shar’i evidence that the jinn exist and that they tell people things about the unseen, as happens in the case of soothsayers, those who are possessed and the like.

The second type is that which is done by outside forces, such as the jinn who tell the soothsayers many things. This is something that is well known, especially to those who have experienced it, and we have come to know about these things on many occasions. This is a type of kashf that has nothing to do with the first type, and this is the second type of kashf.
With regard to the third type, it is what is conveyed by the angels and this is the noblest type, as is indicated by the texts and by rational evidence. Information about the unseen may come from psychological sources, or from evil sources, whether they are satanic or not, or it may come from angelic sources.​

Al-Safadiyyah, p. 187-189

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Partial kashf is something which both believers and kaafirs, righteous and immoral, may share, such as knowing what is in a person’s house or what is in his hand or under his garment, or whether his wife is pregnant with a boy or girl after the gender has been determined, or things that cannot be seen such as things that are taking place far away, and so on. This may come from the Shaytaan sometimes and from one's own self sometimes, hence it may happen to the kuffaar such as the Christians and people who worship fire or the cross. Ibn Sayyaad told by means of kashf the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) what he was hiding for him. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him, “You are from among the brethren of the soothsayers.” He told him that his kashf was like the kashf of the soothsayers. Similarly the liar Musaylimah, even though he was a kaafir of the worst type, could tell his companions of what one of them had done in his house and what he had said to his wife, because his shaytaan told him that so that he could mislead the people. The same was true of al-Aswad al-‘Anasi and al-Haarith al-Mutanabbi al-Dimashqi, who emerged at the time of ‘Abd al-Malik ibn Marwaan, and others of their ilk, whose numbers are known only to Allaah. We ourselves and others have seen a group of them and people have witnessed the kashf of monks who worship the cross, as is well known.

Spiritual kashf of this type is like the kashf of Abu Bakr when he told ‘Aa’ishah that his wife was pregnant with a girl; and the kashf of ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) when he said, “O Saariyah, the mountain!” – i.e., stay close to the mountain. There are many such instances among the close friends (awliya’) of Allaah.​

Madaarij al-Saalikeen, 3/227, 228

Secondly:

What happened to ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) is saheeh and is well proven. Naafi’ said that ‘Umar sent out a military detachment and he appointed a man called Saariyah in charge of them. Whilst ‘Umar was delivering the khutbah one Friday, he said, “O Saariyah, the mountain! O Saariyah, the mountain!” And they found out that Saariyah had moved towards the mountain at that moment on the Friday even though there was the distance of a month’s journey between them.

Narrated by Ahmad in Fadaa’il al-Sahaabah, 1/269; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 1110

This was a miracle (karaamah) bestowed upon ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him); either it happened by means of inspiration and his voice reached Saariyah – as is the view of Ibn al-Qayyim – or it happened by means of psychological kashf and his voice reached Saariyah – which is what we will see below in the words of Shaykh al-Albaani. In either case, it was undoubtedly a miracle (karaamah).

Thirdly:

With regard to what happens to the Sufis, it is not spiritual kashf, rather it is either psychological kashf which is something that they have in common with the kuffaar, or it is of satanic origin, which is usually the case.

Spiritual kashf only happens to the close friends (awliya’) of Allaah who establish sharee’ah and venerate it. It is known that the Sufis do not do that. What happened to ‘Umar, although it is correct to describe it as kashf, was spiritual kashf.

Shaykh al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

There can be no doubt that the call mentioned was inspiration from Allaah to ‘Umar. That is nothing strange, because he was “muhaddath” (inspired) as was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), but that does not mean that ‘Umar was shown the situation of the army or that he saw them with his own eyes. The use of this as evidence by some of the Sufis for the claims that they make about the awliya’ (“saints”) having kashf and that they can see what is in people’s hearts is utter falsehood. How can it be otherwise, when that is one of the unique attributes of the Lord of the Worlds Who alone has knowledge of the unseen and sees what is in people’s hearts?

I wonder, how can they make such a false claim when Allaah says in His Book (interpretation of the meaning):

“(He Alone is) the All‑Knower of the Ghayb (Unseen), and He reveals to none His Ghayb (Unseen).

Except to a Messenger (from mankind) whom He has chosen”

[al-Jinn 72:26-27]?

Do they believe that those awliya’ are Messengers of Allaah so that it may be said of them that they can know the unseen as much as Allaah tells them?! Glory be to You (O Allaah)! This is a great lie (cf. al-Noor 24:16).
This story is saheeh and is proven. It was a miracle (karaamah) with which Allaah honoured ‘Umar, by means of which the Muslim army was saved from capture or destruction. But it does not mean that he had knowledge of the unseen, as the Sufis claim. Rather it was a kind of inspiration, in the sense defined in sharee’ah, or a kind of telepathy, which is not infallible. It may be correct, as in this incident, or it turn out to be wrong, as usually happens to people. Hence every close friend of Allaah (wali) must adhere to sharee’ah in everything that he does or says, lest he do something that goes against sharee’ah and thus lose the status of being a friend of Allaah, which Allaah has described in comprehensive terms when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“No doubt! Verily, the Awliyaa’ of Allaah, no fear shall come upon them nor shall they grieve.​

Those who believed, and used to fear Allaah much (by abstaining from evil deeds and sins and by doing righteous deeds)”

[Yoonus 10:63]

And the poet said:

“If you see a man flying through the air or walking on the water, but he does not adhere to the limits of sharee’ah,

then you should realize that this is a temptation which is leading him astray, and he is a man of bid’ah.”

Al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 3/102-104

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

A non-Muslim can not provide you with an answer to a question that involves your salvation.
Posting a fatawa is just that posting without comprehension.I do not care what they think.

Besides, a fatawa is the short cut. That's like going to the grocery store and getting a bone and not the steak.

I will respond when I comprehend your question.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

That's like going to the grocery store and getting a bone and not the steak.
:salam2::blackhijab:
just to make 2 laughs:at the grocery I suppose to buy the bread and at the butcher I could buy tons of meat:lol::lol:.
or did you mean something particular?

About the intuition,I'm not master of cleaverness,but sometimes I confess that my heart mind suggested me as good things as bad ones.
Allah created us with a brain which could made us think,reflect and maybe make intuitons.if you mean the IQ of a person,well,I am at the last place,but about pratical life,I'm a good mind.I don't know if there are also intuitions from the angels,but why not?sometimes it happens that I prefere to take a decision instead of another one,and it happens that the second one was better.I'm concerned about this matter.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Salam to all the brothers and sisters on TTI.

Guess who's back (again) its me your favourite bro :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

Ahah so i was doing some religious research because Ramadan is close (early Ramzan kareem) and I do not want to make a mistake. Along my research i have come along the subject of intuition. Now aparently there is 3 types of intuition:

1). Pyscological Intuition: An Intuition that occurs soley from the persons mental state.

2). Shaitanic Intuition: An intuition that occurs due to external dealing with jinns and devils.

3). Heavenly Intuition: An intution that occurs by an external force either by God or by an angel.

Now i was wondering that is the ruling on this? Are most intuitions either shaitanic or pyscological or is there a chance that some intuition is of the 3rd type? I was just wondering because it could maybe help in clarifying my search?

Jakkaz Allah Kharin in advance.

Wa alaikome salam

Welcome back to the forum brother!

Maybe I will look stupid here because I dont have anything to back up my "intuition" but I do believe in miracles and I have said many times that Allah finds ways to communicate to us. Even via the internet and this very website. I believe in Allah communicating with us and I believe in miracles. The rest I dont know about but Im not a psychologist or a scholar.

I hope you find the answers you need. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents for what its worth which is probably nothing considering inflation these days! :lol:

wa salam

True_Sultan

A logical believer
Reply =) <3

Salam all,

:salam2: Brother,

There are some here who would say that you can not trust a non-Muslim to provide accurate information regarding Muslim matters but I think otherwise IF the information provided is not of their making. I found this for you. I hope it helps.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12778/intuition

ahah alas sister, this is the site that i looked it before i posted the thread so yeah. I do not know if it was made up or not, so thats why I ask.

Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

A non-Muslim can not provide you with an answer to a question that involves your salvation.
Posting a fatawa is just that posting without comprehension.I do not care what they think.

Besides, a fatawa is the short cut. That's like going to the grocery store and getting a bone and not the steak.

I will respond when I comprehend your question.

I will await then, I ask because i think its intuition that gives birth to my inhumane aspiration =)

:salam2::blackhijab:
just to make 2 laughs:at the grocery I suppose to buy the bread and at the butcher I could buy tons of meat:lol::lol:.
or did you mean something particular?

About the intuition,I'm not master of cleaverness,but sometimes I confess that my heart mind suggested me as good things as bad ones.
Allah created us with a brain which could made us think,reflect and maybe make intuitons.if you mean the IQ of a person,well,I am at the last place,but about pratical life,I'm a good mind.I don't know if there are also intuitions from the angels,but why not?sometimes it happens that I prefere to take a decision instead of another one,and it happens that the second one was better.I'm concerned about this matter.

Yeah, I do not know either, it is possible for our Lord to communicate with us, our brain is an electric circuit, and knowing the laws of the world, any other EM field that interacts with us can change our thoughts, so its possible that another entity might communicate with us through intuiton.

Wa alaikome salam

Welcome back to the forum brother!

Maybe I will look stupid here because I dont have anything to back up my "intuition" but I do believe in miracles and I have said many times that Allah finds ways to communicate to us. Even via the internet and this very website. I believe in Allah communicating with us and I believe in miracles. The rest I dont know about but Im not a psychologist or a scholar.

I hope you find the answers you need. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents for what its worth which is probably nothing considering inflation these days! :lol:

wa salam

Aww sister :hearts::hearts: don't say that, doesn't matter how small, your 2 cent when looking at it in the whole can really help, keep them coming. :lol: at your inflation joke =)

Also it is true, there is this story I found that talks about God communicating,

http://islamgreatreligion.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/does-allah-speak-to-people-through-intuition/

but to be honest, i do not the validity of that story, but it does bring some joy to me =)

Jakkaz Allah Khairn for your replies, keep em coming.

JenGiove

Salam all,

ahah alas sister, this is the site that i looked it before i posted the thread so yeah. I do not know if it was made up or not, so thats why I ask.

Brother, I've seen other people here on TTI post from the site. You can read the "About Us" section from the site to review the scholars that are consulted but I also found this site. It is the portal from Saudi Arabi- General Presidency of Scholarly Research and Ifta’. You can search there { http://www.alifta.net/Default.aspx } but in the 5 minutes that I have spent there, I find that it is less user friendly than Islamqa. This is the one fatwah I found when I used the search string "intuition" on the site. It doesn't really address your question as you asked it, like Islamqa does but hopefully it will be helpful.

What is the legal ruling on consulting soothsayers who claim the knowledge of the Unseen?
Fourth question of Fatwa No. 3552

Q 4: What is the legal ruling on consulting soothsayers who claim knowledge of Ghayb (the Unseen)? What about those who hold back from taking action against them?

A:
Knowledge of the Ghayb is exclusive to Allah Alone. Whoever claims to possess it is certainly assuming the acquisition of a Divine attribute that Allah (Glorified and Exalted be He) Alone possesses, and is making himself a rival with Allah. However, Allah may reveal as much as He wills of the Ghayb to whom of His Messengers He has chosen. Allah (Exalted be He) says: And with Him are the keys of the Ghaib (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. Allah (Exalted be He) also says:
Say: “None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghaib (Unseen) except Allâh” Allah (Exalted be He) also says: "(He Alone is) the All-Knower of the Ghaib (Unseen), and He reveals to none His Ghaib (Unseen)." Except to a Messenger (from mankind) whom He has chosen (He informs him of unseen as much as He likes), and then He makes a band of watching guards (angels) to march before him and behind him. These Qur'anic Ayahs (verses) indicate that Allah (Exalted be He) Alone possesses the knowledge of the Ghayb (Unseen). Exceptions are made for the messengers of Allah to whom He had revealed some knowledge of Ghayb through Divine revelation. Serving as a clear-cut proof of their Prophethood. This knowledge was bestowed upon them by way of miracle. Soothsayers, fortune-tellers, palmists, shell-diviners and the like who claim the knowledge of the Ghayb are not granted such knowledge, since they are not among Allah's chosen messengers. These categories of people are Kafirs (disbelievers), for they invent falsehood about Allah through their false intuition, guesswork, and fabricated lies.

It is thus forbidden to go to such disbelieving people. Action should also be taken against them as well as those who visit them. It is the due responsibility of scholars to elucidate the truth of those people to all Muslims to fulfill the pledge, escape the blame, and guide the Muslim Ummah.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta'

Member: `Abdullah ibn Qa`ud
Member:
`Abdullah ibn Ghudayyan
Deputy Chairman:
`Abdul-Razzaq `Afify
Chairman
:`Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz

True_Sultan

A logical believer
hmmm

Brother, I've seen other people here on TTI post from the site. You can read the "About Us" section from the site to review the scholars that are consulted but I also found this site. It is the portal from Saudi Arabi- General Presidency of Scholarly Research and Ifta’. You can search there { http://www.alifta.net/Default.aspx } but in the 5 minutes that I have spent there, I find that it is less user friendly than Islamqa. This is the one fatwah I found when I used the search string "intuition" on the site. It doesn't really address your question as you asked it, like Islamqa does but hopefully it will be helpful.

Salam,

I went through the site, didn't find exactly what I was looking for? You were right about it not be as user friendly. I just don't know, my main question was kinda that are all "intuitions" either shaitanic or physcological since the prophet hood ended?

I ask because I believe my aspiration which idk may be inhumane is just my intuition

So i think my urge or the dream is just and intuition of some sort, either humane or inhumane. I just wanna know the rulling behind it for real because i have alot of things going on in my life and I wanna get something right :lol:

:SMILY176:

:muslim_child::shymuslima1::hearts:

Jakkaz Allah Khairn

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
:salam2:
Dunno anything about intutions :/
Yeah but I have heard about dreams.It is said by scholars that dream are of 3 types 1. Meaningless,just due to some inner thoughts and stuff
2. Devil playing with us.(Usually nightmares,one should seek istiadh when such dreams occur.
3.Dreams which actually have some meaning and interpretetion,good dreams which are from Allah.
No one knows the unseen except Allah.
Allah knows best.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

You know what. I was thinking.

We as Muslims do not do much with intuition. When we sense something..we address this with other Believers. We make sure that which we are feeling is in accordance with the rational and the sane. We use hadeeth and the Quran to help us understand what the source of the intuition is.

Brother I do not think we use the word intuition much in the Quran. We have the word inspiration and revelation.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Dunno anything about intutions :/
Yeah but I have heard about dreams.It is said by scholars that dream are of 3 types 1. Meaningless,just due to some inner thoughts and stuff
2. Devil playing with us.(Usually nightmares,one should seek istiadh when such dreams occur.
3.Dreams which actually have some meaning and interpretetion,good dreams which are from Allah.
No one knows the unseen except Allah.
Allah knows best.

As salamo alaikome

Every night before going to bed my husband does the cover on himself and me to protect us yet many times I still have terrible nightmares. Just last night I had one and I said all of my prayers, read Surah Al Mulk and was covered by my husband yet the dream still happened and I woke up feeling so strange!

Why do you think that happened even after all my protection? What else can I do to prevent the nightmares? They dont happen often at all but still I dont like it when they do!

wa salam

JenGiove

What else can I do to prevent the nightmares? They dont happen often at all but still I dont like it when they do!

wa salam

The responce to this question is extremely long so I'll only post the link.

From Islamqa:
Question: How can we cure nightmares ?
http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/9577

From General Presidency of Scholarly Research and Ifta’:
Question:[FONT=size=2][SIZE=2"]There is a frightening nightmare haunting me frequently. While sleeping I dream that there is something within my mouth resembling dough. It makes it difficult for me to breathe and speak. Many times I try to remove or take out of it with my hand but it comes again, which breaks my sleep. I am frightened of this nightmare that disturbed my life and obsessed my thinking. I do not know the reason behind this, knowing that I observe performing Prayer and Fast and performed Pilgrimage. I often ask for Allah's Forgiveness and repent to Him. Yet it haunts me within a period of two, four, or five months. I ask Allah (Exalted be He) that you will give me an explanation for this frightening dream. May Allah guide you to what brings out the good of this life and the Hereafter. Allah is in the help of a servant as long as he is in the help of his brother.

http://www.alifta.net/Search/Result...110105103104116109097114101#firstKeyWordFound

[/SIZE][/FONT]

kashif_nazeer

~~~Alhamdulillah~~~
As salamo alaikome

Every night before going to bed my husband does the cover on himself and me to protect us yet many times I still have terrible nightmares. Just last night I had one and I said all of my prayers, read Surah Al Mulk and was covered by my husband yet the dream still happened and I woke up feeling so strange!

Why do you think that happened even after all my protection? What else can I do to prevent the nightmares? They dont happen often at all but still I dont like it when they do!

wa salam

:wasalam:
Sister Isra,you have posted the reply to your questions,mashaAllah it contains good cures.It's the bad dreams that devil plays with us.Devil loves troubling us so he doesnt spare the opportunity to trouble us in dreams.
There is a book called 'Hisnul Muslim' or fortress of a muslim it contains various masnun(those which are sunnah)supplication to be read.It includes the supplication before sleep and after waking up.It also contains supplication to be read and measures to be taken when one sees a nightmare.It is a fortress of a muslim or it acts as a protection for believer against shaytaan.I'd attach link inshaAllah
http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/fortress_of_the_muslim.pdf

Here is another book which you may find helpful inshaAllah:
The Dreamer's Handbook
http://www.kalamullah.com/dreamers-handbook.html

I suggest that you go to sleep in wudu so as to protect yourself from bad dreams.(Although I dont do it but since in your case you have frequent nightmares it might be helpful).
Wallahu 'alam.
Pray to Allah to help you in this.
Consult a scholar with regards to this.

May Allah help you and may He rid you of these nightmares.Ameen.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
sister Isra,your nightmares are fruits of your deep fears for something.but many times behind the nightmares there is the solution to the problems.when you are going to sleep it's good to be in status of pureness and you should keep the strenght to say to your mind that nothing will touch you during your sleeping.if you see something which scares you,just remember that you are in a dream and say the words "hazbun Allahi wa ni'mal wakil" towards the person/object/creature which wants to harm you.in sh Allah you'll stop to have nightmares.It worked with me when I
was victim of the nightmares.:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Hey brother,

When you get a chance lets try to discuss your question. How this got to nightmares is beyond me.

Lets get back to the Quran..it is a little more instructive. Let us regain some semblance of intellect here.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Jazakallah khairan on your tips to end my nightmares but actually I think maybe I misrepresented! My nightmares are not that frequent and I dream every night but when it is a nightmare usually its very intense and very realistic and usually involves someone I love being killed in front of me with me being helpless to stop it from happening. A few months ago it was my daughter and last night it was my husband.

I am covered every night and I pray all of my prayers and read Surah Al Mulk every night before going to bed so I dont understand why it happens.

Sister Hayat84 I had to smile at the first lines of your response! Since the dreams are about people being killed I certainly hope that isnt the solution to whatever problem I have!

Sister Aapa it turned to a conversation about nightmares because the thread starter (brother True_Sultan) mentioned dreams in his third post and brother kashif_nazeer began talking about what he has heard about dreams. It might be helpful to read all the posts before commenting if there is any confusion as to how the conversation seemed to have gone off topic.

wa salam

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
Sister Hayat84 I had to smile at the first lines of your response! Since the dreams are about people being killed I certainly hope that isnt the solution to whatever problem I have!

wa salam
:lol::lol:Oooopss!!!!!!but if there are people being killed it's not a nightmare,on the contrary it means that you freed yourself from someone envyous/jalous/gossipy/hypocrite or you want to avoid it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister, I know.

What happens on threads like this is we get carried away with jinns and things that go bump in the night. Lions and tigers and bears oh my!

What I am trying so hard to impress is for our brother to understand that Islam is much more than mere intuition. Islam is complete use of intelligence.

What the brother needs to do is spend time on understanding Fiqh. Islam urges us to use the middle path.

Intuition is riddles with feelings and sensuality. The senses can confuse us. Thus we have to collaborate and find consensus. The brother needs to discuss his question within the scope of Islam.

When we have the revealed and true word of Allah to guide us why would we rely on our senses.

Does this make sense to you sister?

Isra

aka Tree2008
:lol::lol:Oooopss!!!!!!but if there are people being killed it's not a nightmare,on the contrary it means that you freed yourself from someone envyous/jalous/gossipy/hypocrite or you want to avoid it.

:lol: I know sweet sister my husband was so happy when I told him my dream because he said it means he will have a long life! I was happy once he told me that!

Actually someone has been bothering me so much lately and I have prayed and prayed about this person because I dont want to fall into the trap of the shaitan and become hateful back to them. Because of my prayers I think it has been much easier to calm my emotions and look at things from a different perspective so you could absolutely be right with what you said in this post. Jazakallah khairan sweet sister! I know Allah works in very mysterious ways and he definately DOES communicate through many different means and sources including the internet in my opinion!

May Allah protect us all and keep us on his straight path Ameen.

Wa salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In response to your worry about the hateful person.

Do not worry about that person. Let it go. Spend your time on positive deeds. You can not prevent that person from going to heaven; it that is Allah's will.

Sometimes, Allah places people into our lives and we may think they are not good, we are hindered by our defense mechanisms, and they are the best thing for us.

Step back and relax.