What should I do about my co-worker...?

kayleigh

I'll try to make this as short as possible...

There is a girl I work with who was hired earlier this year. Soon after she was hired people got annoyed with her because she would ask for so many days off and beg people to work her shifts and wouldn't pull her own weight.

I normally work every weekend, but every time I get a Sunday off she asks me to work for her. She once interrupted my vacation to nag me to work for her (on my vacation), and when I was having some problems and was very ill she sent me several messages begging me to work for her on my days off. When I said no she was really rude to me at work after that.

Sunday morning she texted me to ask me to work for her, claiming a highly unlikely illness. I agreed but wasn't happy about it. I work full time, and had just finished working a 7 day stretch, so working an extra day really IS an inconvenience to me.

anyway, she had agreed to work Tuesday, and said she'd call our boss on Monday to tell her. Monday went by with no word from her and she wasn't responding to anyone's calls or texts. Finally I texted her saying "I'm sorry to bother you but please call our boss asap to confirm tomorrow's schedule. You always ask me to work your weekend shifts so this isn't fair to me." She finally responded and called in.

at 5pm today, she started texting me again. She sent me 10 texts in all, saying I was trying to get her in trouble and telling me I was stupid and immature, etc. I only responded to tell her to calm down and leave me alone and stop texting me. She still wouldn't stop so I said if she wouldn't stop I would report her for harassment and then I really WOULD get her in trouble. But she is STILL sending me text messages.

My intention is not to get her fired and I did not even speak to my boss about Sunday's incident. But she will NOT stop. Does this even qualify as harassment? Should I speak to my boss? I don't want to get involved in workplace drama and I don't want to backbite but in this case would it be appropriate to say something?

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Sister, you have gone out of your way to be really nice to her but now she seems to be taking advantage of you, which is really unfair on her part.

I know that no one likes to report a coworker to his/her boss. But I think it should be done as she is being quite rude and inconsiderate.

I hope it goes well for you InshaAllah.

Wasalaamalaykum

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Just tell your boss you made a mistake in trusting someone. You do not want drama. Point out to the boss the coverage issue. Hey boss have you looked to see who is never carrying the weekend load? Stop her from taking advantage of you. No is a powerful word. Good luck. ( it is not worth losing sleep)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

May Allaah make your situation easy. In this case, so long as you complain to one who deals with this matter (your boss obviously), it's not considered to be impermissible backbiting. There are plenty of cases where people complained about mistreatment to the Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) for him to intervene/advise/judge.

Was-salaam

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
My intention is not to get her fired and I did not even speak to my boss about Sunday's incident. But she will NOT stop. Does this even qualify as harassment? Should I speak to my boss? I don't want to get involved in workplace drama and I don't want to backbite but in this case would it be appropriate to say something?

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wabarakatuhu...

first of all sister mashallah:)you got a good heart!!

sister it's not gheeba in this case coz you are not doing it for fun or useless gossips.you have a problem and you need solution so you go for it.inshallah you problem will be solved without any enmity between you and the lazy dazy!!

kayleigh

Thanks for the info/advice, everyone. Thankfully it sorted itself out, I think, before I even told my boss anything.

kayleigh

Funny that this thread was bumped today. The girl quit last night, so it really isn't a problem anymore lol

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Funny that this thread was bumped today. The girl quit last night, so it really isn't a problem anymore lol
sister did you say "last night" means that when the thread was bumped the girl was handing in her resignation:SMILY149:very happy for you mashallah:)Duas works it all.one weapon a muslim has that cannot be matched by any.ALHUMDULILLAH!!

TipuSultan

Banned
I'll try to make this as short as possible...

There is a girl I work with who was hired earlier this year. Soon after she was hired people got annoyed with her because she would ask for so many days off and beg people to work her shifts and wouldn't pull her own weight.

I normally work every weekend, but every time I get a Sunday off she asks me to work for her. She once interrupted my vacation to nag me to work for her (on my vacation), and when I was having some problems and was very ill she sent me several messages begging me to work for her on my days off. When I said no she was really rude to me at work after that.

Sunday morning she texted me to ask me to work for her, claiming a highly unlikely illness. I agreed but wasn't happy about it. I work full time, and had just finished working a 7 day stretch, so working an extra day really IS an inconvenience to me.

anyway, she had agreed to work Tuesday, and said she'd call our boss on Monday to tell her. Monday went by with no word from her and she wasn't responding to anyone's calls or texts. Finally I texted her saying "I'm sorry to bother you but please call our boss asap to confirm tomorrow's schedule. You always ask me to work your weekend shifts so this isn't fair to me." She finally responded and called in.

at 5pm today, she started texting me again. She sent me 10 texts in all, saying I was trying to get her in trouble and telling me I was stupid and immature, etc. I only responded to tell her to calm down and leave me alone and stop texting me. She still wouldn't stop so I said if she wouldn't stop I would report her for harassment and then I really WOULD get her in trouble. But she is STILL sending me text messages.

:salam2:

I know that your problem is now sorted sister but u have to know where to draw a line and say a bold and brave NO, enough is enough. today she is gone tomorrow someone will come.once in a while is ok but everyday.we must have the courage to say NO