What should I have done?

Toya23

Salam
I kind of have a question and a comment. Recently, I have told a few people at work that I have converted to Islam. Most have been really interested in my conversion and really want to know what its about(hamduallah). However, there is a lady who has said a few things to me and I just wanted to get your opinion.
First, we were talking about pork and why I don't eat it anymore. I told her it is not allowed in my religion and the reasons why. I also told her it is very unhealthy which she agreed with. BUT she said something to me and I was surprised. She said " you shouldn't follow all of the strict rules in the bible, plus it does not say in the bible that you shouldn't eat pork". I looked at her and I wasn't sure what to do. First I was shocked because she knows im Muslim so im not sure why she was referring to the Bible. Was it my duty to show her proof that she shouldn't eat pork? Should I have showed her proof in her bible or in my holy book the Qur'an?
Apart from that, I simply could not understand how someone can have a religion but tell you not to believe everything in it, although that they claim all of it as truth. Doesn't that show them that maybe their religion is not the 100% truth? Does that not also show that they don't have the utmost faith in their religion?
Secondly, she said to me " I will pray that you will have Jesus in your heart again". Once again I wasn't 100% sure what to say.So I said, I have Jesus (Isa) in my heart, I believe in him but he is not God so I don't praise him the way I praise God. Was that the right thing to say? What do I say to someone who makes a comment like that? Should I just see it as ignorance and not bother worry about it?
Hope to hear from some of you soon

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

A lot of Christians believe in something called "abrogation." Basically this is the belief that new rules can supercede the old rule. So the "Old Testament" strictly forbids eating pork but the Christians beleive the vision of Paul in the New Testament where he said people could eat pork. Nevermind that the person they worship as God (Jesus) never ate pork.

Some witty comebacks:

When she tells you that you shouldn't follow the old rules of the bible simply ask, "What would Jesus do? Did he eat pork? No, well okay then, neither should you."

When she says she will pray for you to find Jesus again in your heart I would respond, "I will pray you worship the one true God one day, and not a human being."

I think you had a very intelligent response and handled yourself well. You definitely handled it better than I would have.

Wasalam

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Salam
I have converted to Islam. Most have been really interested in my conversion and really want to know what its about(hamduallah).

Congrat to you sister. Alhamdulillah. May Allah shower you with blessings and imaan.
However, there is a lady who has said a few things to me and I just wanted to get your opinion.
First, we were talking about pork and why I don't eat it anymore. I told her it is not allowed in my religion and the reasons why. I also told her it is very unhealthy which she agreed with. BUT she said something to me and I was surprised. She said " you shouldn't follow all of the strict rules in the bible, plus it does not say in the bible that you shouldn't eat pork".

She is wrong. I agree with brother Ayman that this woman is confused plus I guess never read and understand her own bible.

Ask her "are you following Jesus or Paul"? Most likely her answer will be both. Then ask her who is superior, Jesus (peace be upon him) or Paul? If she says Jesus (peace be upon him), then you can tell her (as what bro. Ayman quoted), Jesus (peace be upon him) came to fulfill the Law of Moses (peace be upon him) and not to abolish it (bible- Matthew 5:17-19). Therefore this woman as a christian must obey following verses from the bible:

Leviticus 11
7The pig, because he has a split hoof, and is cloven-footed, but does not chew the cud, he is unclean to you. 8Of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch; they are unclean to you.

Deuteronomy 14

8The pig, because it has a split hoof but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you: of their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch.

In law, when the term "shall or should" is used, that means it is obligatory. Correct if I'm wrong. So "shall not eat" means she must not eat.

She may argue that Paul said the Law of Moses is abolished until the second coming of Jesus (peace be upon him). Ask her again, who has the superior authority? If she says Paul and tell her that she has to agree with you that bible contradicts itself. This is one classic example.

Should I have showed her proof in her bible or in my holy book the Qur'an?

From the point of dawaah, you may provide proof to her since she seem to be lost. There are few verses in the bible, perhaps the above two from Old Testament (Leviticus and Deut) are enough. From the Holy Qur'an, following are the verses you may want to provide to her: 2:173, 5:3, 6:145, 16:115.

Secondly, she said to me " I will pray that you will have Jesus in your heart again".

Tell her that she is the one needs "Jesus in her heart again" not you because she did not practice what Jesus (peace be upon him) did. As a muslim, we believe Jesus (Prophet Isaa' - peace be upon him)) as one of the Prophet of Allah and we believe in him. In fact we do what Jesus (peace be upon him) used to do, he lived like a muslim: e.g. fasted (Matthew 4:2), prostration in prayer (Matthew 26:39), giving salam like muslim do (Luke 24:36, John 20:10) and he never ate pork or taken wine etc.

Once again I wasn't 100% sure what to say.So I said, I have Jesus (Isa) in my heart, I believe in him but he is not God so I don't praise him the way I praise God. Was that the right thing to say?

He is a Prophet of Allah, refer Qur'an 4:171 (proof from bible - Mark 6:4, Luke 13:33, John 4:44), according to bible he was sent to only the "Children of Israel" (Matthew 1:21) and "lost sheep of Israel" (Matthew 15:23-24). We do believe him as the Prophet of Allah and that he will reappear one day (it is long story).

What do I say to someone who makes a comment like that? Should I just see it as ignorance and not bother worry about it?

It is opportunity for you to daawah, sister. Try your best to correct her.

Forgive me sister if I've said anything wrong.

pcozzy

:salam2:

be patient,

people like to have conversations with others and sometimes they speak not what they believe but what they have heard.

I would try to correct them with what I have knowledge of, right away and if I don't know I do not go back into the subject unless they raise the issue again and then I correct them or give them more factual information.

Your announcement will bring attention to you, not by what you know, but how you behave and conduct yourself. Of course, bringing people attention to the truth is good and should be done. I kind of find it automatically happening just by reading and learning more about Islam. I try my best to act on the knowledge attained too.

Perhaps, if you go to a mosque or things like muslim student association, they will have for you material that you can give to direct them to get more information about Islam in a private anonymous way. They will have you as a example and a link to answer questions too.

may Allah guide us all to His dean.

:wasalam:

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

i think the best way wud be to conduct urself well coz u r now a muslim and who knows someone might be guided.but thats not ur tension.mayb rather than letting this single lady get on ur mind its better to concentrate on other ppl who r really interested.

Toya23

Thank you

Thank you soooo much for all of your advice.
To brother Hard Rock Moslem. Thank you for breaking it down the way you did. Ir really helped me to understand all of your points a lot better. I love the fact that you gave me proof for everything that you were recommending.
Thank you brother Abdul Hasib for the video. I have seen a part of it already but I need to watch the rest, so that was great.
Thanks againg to everyone else I learned a few new things such as "abrogation", thank you sister ShyHijabi.
May Allah(swt) continue to bless all of you.

A Kashmiri

Congratulation for becoming a muslim and worshipping the only One God- Allah and following the final messenger of Allah- Prophet Mohammed- The Messenger of Mercy & Humanity.

I should add one more thing to what all other brothers & sisters have written. You should know that " Pork forbidden" in old testaments is a " RED Letter" verse which means it is found in the original manuscripts and as per Christian Theology couldnt be violated and has to be followed by true christians.

Some christians argue by quoting a verses among of which some are red letter as well but then we should ask them how can two verses say two different things for the same subject and contradict each other- Doesnt this show that present Bible is not a book of God-which they claim and claim to be 100% right and correct.

May Allah give you Imaan.

AyeshaL

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Alhamdulilla regarding your reversion :)

Marshallah for posting this question because I remember when I first converted and I was asked such specific questions that I didn't really know how to answer! I knew the type of answer but didn't have references etc / clear argument to answer adequately. Alhamdulilla the result is that you learn so much through other people's questions. Carry on the way you are but if you get stuck - honestly tell the person you're not too sure but you will go and ask others who have been Muslim for longer and will come back to them soon with an answer. I've had to do it a few times and alhamdulilla I feel my knowledge has grown as a result - but it is a bit daunting when its happening!

My parents are practising Christians and when I told them I have reverted to Islam my Dad said that he would pray that I would be guided rightly. I'm sure he meant '- and back to Christianity' but I thanked him and said I'd love him to pray for me as we believe that Jews, Christians and Muslims all pray to the same God (or in the Christian example this would be the 'father' of the trinity) and therefore it could not do any harm and that I wanted to be rightly guided! As someone who used to be Christian, it is surprising how ignorant I really was before I took a serious look into Islam. But I definitely agree with the other posts on here that say you should show them what being Muslim is about by your behaviour. How brilliant would it be if someone noted the change but didn't know why...and that was the answer you gave them! I honestly think that if people knew the 'real Islam' instead of the impersonal summary given in R.E. at school or the negative images in the media, the majority of people couldnt help but see it for what it is...the truth. Unfortunately though - we are not all destined to be Muslims - Allah has said that himself I think (sorry - no reference!) so do your best to educate other people but at the end of the day Allah guides who he wishes to guide and we are nothing but the means he uses sometimes.

Alhamdulilla and I pray Allah helps us all with the questions we are presented with about the deen and that we are able to answer them in a way He is pleased with inshallah.