When a non-Muslim sneezes what do you do?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

In my job I am surrounded by a large number of folks, and inevitably there is someone at least once a day sneezing. And they all consider me (in jest) the most insensitive person on the floor because I refuse to say "bless you" whenever someone sneezes.

I know there is a formula when a Muslim sneezes but when a non-believer near us sneezes what are we expected to do? Just ignore it?

Thanks in advance!

D.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
You may say:

"May Allah [God] Guide you"

or

"May Allah [God] Guide you and Rectify your condition"

This is taken by scholars from a hadith in Sunan Abu Dawood in which Abu Burdah narrated:

"The Jews used to try to sneeze in the presence of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) hoping that he would say to them: "Allah have mercy on you!" but he would say: May Allah guide you and grant you well-being!" (Book #41, Hadith #5020)

You may also use the wording of Rasuluallah (saaws) narrated in the hadith quoted above..

It is up to you which one you pick just make sure it is a tashmeet of *guidance* and not *mercy* (this applies to all non-Muslims for the record)..Muslims are the only ones whom you make tashmeet of mercy for..

And Allah Knows Best!

:wasalam:

Isra

aka Tree2008
You may say:

"May Allah [God] Guide you"

or

"May Allah [God] Guide you and Rectify your condition"

This is taken by scholars from a hadith in Sunan Abu Dawood in which Abu Burdah narrated:

"The Jews used to try to sneeze in the presence of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) hoping that he would say to them: "Allah have mercy on you!" but he would say: May Allah guide you and grant you well-being!" (Book #41, Hadith #5020)

You may also use the wording of Rasuluallah (saaws) narrated in the hadith quoted above..

It is up to you which one you pick just make sure it is a tashmeet of *guidance* and not *mercy* (this applies to all non-Muslims for the record)..Muslims are the only ones whom you make tashmeet of mercy for..

And Allah Knows Best!

As salamo alaikome....

Can someone please post the words "May Allah Guide You" in Arabic transliteration so I can say it correctly in Arabic. Even if its not necessary to say it in Arabic I prefer to do so.

Jazakallah khairan ahead of time.

Sister Isra*

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Gesundheit! It's a German word that means health and it's customary to say to someone who sneased. In case you don't know how it's pronounced, it's pronounced Ghe-zoond-hite.

Did Rasulullah (saaws) and his companions make tashmeet to non-Muslims with *Gesundheit!* though?!

(I think the answer to this one is very clear)