Who's Valentine??

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
The History of Saint Valentine's Day​

Most Muslims who indulge in many alien cultural practices, these days, do not know what they are doing. They are just blind followers of their equally blind cultural leaders.

Little do they realize that what they regard as innocent fun may in fact be rooted in paganism. That the symbols they embrace may be symbols of unbelief. That the ideas they borrow may be products of superstition. And that all these may be a negation of what Islam stands for.

Consider Valentine's Day, a day that after dying out a well deserved death in most of Europe - but surviving in Britain and the United States - has suddenly started to emerge across a swath of Muslim countries. Who was Valentine? Why is this day observed?

Legends abound, as they do in all such cases, but this much is clear: Valentine's Day began as a pagan ritual started by Romans in the 4th century BCE to honour Lupercus, the ‘god of fertility and flocks’. Its main attraction was a lottery held to distribute young women to young men for ‘entertainment and pleasure’ - until the next year’s lottery.

Among other equally despicable practices associated with this day was the lashing of young women by two young men, clad only in a bit of goatskin and wielding goatskin thongs, who had been smeared with the blood of sacrificial goats and dogs. A lash of the ‘sacred’ thongs by these ‘holy men’ was believed to make the women better able to bear children.

As usual, Christianity tried, unsuccessfully, to n the evil celebration of Lupercalia. It first replaced the lottery of the names of women with a lottery of the names of saints. The idea was that during the following year the young men would emulate the life of the saint whose name they had drawn. Christianity ended up doing in Rome, and elsewhere, as the Romans did.

The idea that you can preserve the appearance of a popular evil and yet somehow turn it to serve the purpose of virtue has survived. Look at all those people who are still trying, helplessly, to use the formats of popular television entertainment to promote good. They might learn something from this episode in history. It failed miserably.

The only success it had was in changing the name of Lupercalia to St Valentine’s Day. It was done in the year 496 by Pope Gelasius, in honour of one Saint Valentine. However, there are as many as 50 different Valentines in Christian legends. Two of them are more famous, although their lives and characters are also shrouded in mystery.

According to one legend, which is more in line with the true nature of this celebration, St Valentine was a ‘lover’s saint’ who had himself fallen in love with his jailer’s daughter.

Due to serious troubles that accompanied such lottery, French government banned the Valentine ritual in 1776. It also vanished over the years in Italy, Austria, Hungry, and Germany. Earlier, during the 17th century when the Puritans were strong it had been banned in England, but King Charles II revived it in 1660.

From England the Valentine ritual arrived in the New World, where enterprising Yankees spotted a good means of making money. Esther A Howland who produced, in the 1840s, one of the first commercial American Valentine Day cards called - what else valentines sold $5,000 worth in the first year. (Then $5,000 was a lot of money.) The valentine industry has been booming ever since.

It is the same story with Halloween, which has otherwise normal human beings dressing like ghosts and goblins in a re-enactment of an ancient pagan ritual of demon worship.

The pagan name for that event was Samhain (pronounced sow-en). Just as in case of Valentine's Day, Christianity changed its name, but not the pagan moorings.

Five star hotels in Muslim countries arrange Halloween parties so the rich can celebrate the superstitions of a distant period of ignorance that, at one time, even included the shameful practice of human sacrifice.

Christmas is another story. Today Muslim shopkeepers sell and shoppers buy Christmas symbols in Islamabad or Dubai or Cairo. To engage in a known religious celebration of another religion is bad enough. What is worse is the fact that here is another pagan celebration (Saturnalia) that has been changed in name - and in little else - by Christianity.

Even the apparently innocuous celebration might have pagan foundations. According to one account, in pagan cultures, people feared evil spirits, especially on their birthdays. It was a common belief that evil spirits were more dangerous to a person when he or she experienced a change in their daily life, such as turning a year older. So family and friends surrounded the person with laughter and joy on their birthdays to protect them from evil.

How can anyone in his right mind think that Islam would be indifferent to practices steeped in anti -Islamic ideas and beliefs? Islam came to destroy paganism in all its forms: it cannot tolerate any trace of it from the lives of its followers.

Further, Islam is very sensitive about maintaining its purity and the unique identity of its believers. Islamic laws and teachings go to extra lengths to ensure it.

For example, salâh is forbidden at the precise times of sunrise, transition and sunset to eliminate the possibility that it might get mixed up or be confused with the practice of sun worship. To the voluntary recommended fast on the tenth of Muharram, Muslims are required to add another day (9th or 11th) to distinguish it from the then prevalent Jewish practice. Muslims are forbidden to emulate the appearance of non- Muslims.

A Muslim is a Muslim for life. During joys and sorrows, during celebrations and sufferings, we must follow the one straight path - not many divergent paths. It is a great tragedy that under the constant barrage of commercial and cultural propaganda from the forces of Jahiliya and the relentless media machine, Muslims have begun to embrace the Valentines, the Halloween ghosts, and even Santa Claus.

Delyan

Mashalah

That s something I did ignore it, I didnt know that
May Allah forgive us
SIS Hanan
wa salam

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
That s something I did ignore it, I didnt know that
May Allah forgive us
SIS Hanan
wa salam

:salam2: sister,
I myself didn't know this, until I randomly came across it. Allhamdulilha!
I thought people should know this too, people should ask themself the question why they do what they do. :astag:

[jazak allah ..,
thx,brother
allah bless u,inshaallah
salam

:wasalam:
Wa iyyaki, May Allah bless you too, sister.
Just to clarify I am a sister. :)

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Asalama aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu , shukran and may ALLAH SUBHANA WA TA ALAH REWARD YOU FOR THIS AMIN. Alhamdullilah i never , will never celebrate these holidays its bidha and it leeds to jahanama . MAY ALLAH KAFURU RAHIM FORGIVE US AMIN.

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Asalama aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu , shukran and may ALLAH SUBHANA WA TA ALAH REWARD YOU FOR THIS AMIN. Alhamdullilah i never , will never celebrate these holidays its bidha and it leeds to jahanama . MAY ALLAH KAFURU RAHIM FORGIVE US AMIN.

:wasalam: warahamtullahi wabarakathuhu brother,
Ameen, wa iyyaka.

aisha16

I know this might sound extremly cheesy but shouldn't everyday be Valentines Day, of course for like husband/wife, not bf/gf...

4mMadara2Amina

>*<

Aisha nice question. I agree with you that between husband and wife each day should be as Valentine's Day, but not called as that of course.:hijabi:
Thank you so much brother for this post. As soon the Valentine's day is comming it is know this fact in time. Never have been thinking that under this may be paganism. Worth to know to not do anything wrong as celebratioon and catch a bad deeds.

May Allah reward you.

Your sister,
Amina.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
before getting married,I only looked haw my mum prepared some sweets and gifts to my father;she made red paper hearts and wrote there some love phrases.firstly I didn't like Valentine's day because I had no boyfriend and I was too shy to tell someone that I was interested to him.The strange thing I saw between my parents was that they were tender in that day,but the day after it was like everyday,that's to say,they often had disputes and they often offended themselves with bad words.I wasn't a traditional girl,but when I got engaged,my boyfriend gave me some gifts not only in Valentine day,but he gave me lot of attentions and it was more important for me to be loved not because of the gift,but because he loved me.By consequenca,valentine's day is just the day in which lots of people spend more money for their partners even they maybe don't take care of them during the entire year.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

thank you for this dear sister, i know sister Aapa asked for this subject recently so i looked for it, hope is beneficial for everyone that reads it, inchallah

may Allah guide us and protect us, ameen

:salam2:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
The History of Saint Valentine's Day​

For example, salâh is forbidden at the precise times of sunrise, transition and sunset to eliminate the possibility that it might get mixed up or be confused with the practice of sun worship. To the voluntary recommended fast on the tenth of Muharram, Muslims are required to add another day (9th or 11th) to distinguish it from the then prevalent Jewish practice. Muslims are forbidden to emulate the appearance of non- Muslims.

It says above that if fasting on the 10th of Muharram, we're to add the 9th or 11th day too as a fast? Is this true? Because so far, I was only just fasting the 10th....

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

It says above that if fasting on the 10th of Muharram, we're to add the 9th or 11th day too as a fast? Is this true? Because so far, I was only just fasting the 10th....

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Yes dear sister, fasting one day before of month Muharram or one day after is Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Mohammed sallahu alayha wa saalam.

The reason why it is recomended to fast more days is to distinguish ourselfe from Jews as in the time of Prophet sallahu alayha wa saalam, Jews used to fast on this day as well.

Here are Hadeeth sister for better explination, InshAllah.

It has been reported in both Bukhari and Muslim from Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him), that, When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) reached Medina, he found the Jews fasting the Day of `Ashura, so he asked them, What is this day you are fasting? They said, This is a tremendous day. Allah saved Musa and his people on this day and drowned Pharaoh and his people. Musa fasted it out of thanks, so we fast it too. The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) said, And we are more deserving of Musa than you are.So he fasted this day, and ordered that it be fasted. [Bukhari (2004) and Muslim (1130)

At the end of his life, the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) made the determination not to fast this day alone, but with another day [f: either before or after it], in order to be different from the People of the Book.

It has been reported in the Sahih of Imam Muslim (Allah have mercy on him), also from Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) that, When the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) fasted the Day of `Ashura and ordered his companions to fast it, they said, O Messenger of Allah! This is a day that the Jews and Christians venerate. So the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) said, When next year comes if Allah wills � we will fast the Ninth [of Muharram with it]. But the next year did not come before the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him) passed away.� [Muslim (1134), Abu Dawud (2445)]

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
Assalamu alaikum, this video describes pretty much everything you need to know about "Valentines". [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxuYJIaXDQ&feature=g-user-bul&context=G2104111UCGXQYbcTJ33bzp7HJ55IVsHDBPOW8GqMgJYLUOw57FNg[/ame]