Why do I hide my Islam?

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Islam Is A religion Of Victory!

Alhumdullilah ive been Muslim for 2 1/2 years. I recently got the courage to tell my mom. I feel now that at least one of my family members know, I can tell others or not hide it from others... But I tend to still hide my faith? WHY??? Today I was conversating with a co-worker.. I couldnt just say "Im Muslim"... I beat around the bush with comments like "I study Islam and I believe what it teaches, or I subscribe to the teachings of Islam" etc....

I always never told anyone cause I thought it was unfair to my family for others to know before them... but now that at least my mom knows, I should be open...but im not.... Has anyone else gone thru this?

On the one hand I feel guilty for not professing my faith but on the other hand, im afrad it would lead to more questions and it spreading to other people which would lead to more questions...
~~~
:salam2:

:allahuakbar:
:ma:
You should be proud that you are a muslim!
:SMILY252:Islam:SMILY252:
is
a
soooooo beautiful religion!!!

:ma:

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Eid Mubarak!
28th.Sayawal.1432Hijrah!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

I didn't outright tell my parents this weekend, but I did mention to them that I have been studying Islam and reading the Qur'an. I told them that I am trying to be a better person, and I believe in a lot of what I have read about Islam. I also read my Bible too, and I told them that.

They don't necessarily agree with my methods, but they sort of understood my end goal. I'm hoping that as time passes they will become more understanding of my decision once I decide to really tell them.

msmoorad

mommys boy
Alhumdullilah ive been Muslim for 2 1/2 years. I recently got the courage to tell my mom. I feel now that at least one of my family members know, I can tell others or not hide it from others... But I tend to still hide my faith? WHY??? Today I was conversating with a co-worker.. I couldnt just say "Im Muslim"... I beat around the bush with comments like "I study Islam and I believe what it teaches, or I subscribe to the teachings of Islam" etc....

I always never told anyone cause I thought it was unfair to my family for others to know before them... but now that at least my mom knows, I should be open...but im not.... Has anyone else gone thru this?

On the one hand I feel guilty for not professing my faith but on the other hand, im afrad it would lead to more questions and it spreading to other people which would lead to more questions...

salaams to all

i wonder how u managed to hide it for so long?
most likely u live seperately- not with the parents
otherwise im wondering how do u perform salaah & fast & recite the quran-if youre able to -without them knowing?
and even at work,
how do u manage to perform your salaah without anybody noticing for 2.5 yrs?

still,
i would think a practicing muslim would be clearly evident due to the beard & having pants above the ankes & a hat on the head etc.

same for females
their dressing would do the talking for them.
there would not be any need to say that youre a muslim.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

esperanza

revert of many years

I didn't outright tell my parents this weekend, but I did mention to them that I have been studying Islam and reading the Qur'an. I told them that I am trying to be a better person, and I believe in a lot of what I have read about Islam. I also read my Bible too, and I told them that.

They don't necessarily agree with my methods, but they sort of understood my end goal. I'm hoping that as time passes they will become more understanding of my decision once I decide to really tell them.

inshallah as time passes things will be easier and they will slowly understand your choice,,,,may Allah make it easier for you

esperanza

revert of many years
salaams to all

i wonder how u managed to hide it for so long?
most likely u live seperately- not with the parents
otherwise im wondering how do u perform salaah & fast & recite the quran-if youre able to -without them knowing?
and even at work,
how do u manage to perform your salaah without anybody noticing for 2.5 yrs?

still,
i would think a practicing muslim would be clearly evident due to the beard & having pants above the ankes & a hat on the head etc.

same for females
their dressing would do the talking for them.
there would not be any need to say that youre a muslim.

jazakallah

maybe im naive...but not everyone will dramatically change on beccoming muslim..of course the internal change is a deep and dramatic one..but everything else will take time,,time to learn to pray time to change ones actions time to change ones looks
and you dont know the family and socail situation maybe its easier to take things slowly rather than have confrontations,,

and where does it say to be a muslim you must wear short trousers,beard and hat on the head..is it the clothes makes us muslim???

msmoorad

mommys boy
maybe im naive...but not everyone will dramatically change on beccoming muslim..of course the internal change is a deep and dramatic one..but everything else will take time,,time to learn to pray time to change ones actions time to change ones looks
and you dont know the family and socail situation maybe its easier to take things slowly rather than have confrontations,,

and where does it say to be a muslim you must wear short trousers,beard and hat on the head..is it the clothes makes us muslim???

salaams to all

you seem to be one of those modernists.

please learn about your religion.

theres inner & outer sunnahs
and whats on the inside reflects on the outside.

im not going to dig for hadith about the beard & the pants above the ankles.

how can you say u are a muslim but you dont even know these things-

it seems u know, but if certain things are difficult for you (& others like you ) to practice upon, you conveniently say its not necessary or label it as extremism.
then you label whatever little you practice upon as Islam.

and the most disturbing part is you get so-called sheikhs/scholars who are clean shaven, wear suit-n-tie & have their pants well below their ankles
with examples like that around, its not surprising that there are many muslims who dont see anything wrong with that.

can you picture Rasullullah(SAW) or any of his beloved Sahaba(Rad) clean shaven in suit n tie or even in jeans, T-shirt & a hoodie?

or any of the women of the Sahaba(Rad) or the Ummahatul- Mu-mineen walking around with makeup, heair uncovered, wearing jeans?

do u think they will all say its now 2011 & were in the US or UK -so its allowed?
after all, its not the clothes that make us muslims- its whats inside-is'nt it?

jazakallah

esperanza

revert of many years
salaams to all

you seem to be one of those modernists.

please learn about your religion.

theres inner & outer sunnahs
and whats on the inside reflects on the outside.

im not going to dig for hadith about the beard & the pants above the ankles.

how can you say u are a muslim but you dont even know these things-

it seems u know, but if certain things are difficult for you (& others like you ) to practice upon, you conveniently say its not necessary or label it as extremism.
then you label whatever little you practice upon as Islam.

and the most disturbing part is you get so-called sheikhs/scholars who are clean shaven, wear suit-n-tie & have their pants well below their ankles
with examples like that around, its not surprising that there are many muslims who dont see anything wrong with that.

can you picture Rasullullah(SAW) or any of his beloved Sahaba(Rad) clean shaven in suit n tie or even in jeans, T-shirt & a hoodie?

or any of the women of the Sahaba(Rad) or the Ummahatul- Mu-mineen walking around with makeup, heair uncovered, wearing jeans?

do u think they will all say its now 2011 & were in the US or UK -so its allowed?
after all, its not the clothes that make us muslims- its whats inside-is'nt it?

jazakallah

salam please dont immediately say iknow nothing about my religion and the little i practice... iknow that muslims have a dress code..and most imp0ortant men should not wear silk or gold or clothes should not hang below the ankle..and they should over between the navel and the knee.
and as far as iknow there is nothing saying its forbidden to wear a suit and tie,
my point is you were judging a muslim by his type of clothes..
there might be some who wear only the clothes you think are right but inside they are not true

and idont agree with wome nwearing make up or uncovering their hair so dont assume that

esperanza

revert of many years
and how can you sayto me"" how can you say your a muslim,,,,,"
give me clear proof about the rules on mens clothing please,,,
ilive in aan islamic country and regularly listen to well known sheikhs so unless im stupid..how can it be iknow nothing about my religion???

Hatty

Calm down guys. We are here to learn from each other and help each other positively.

Being a Muslim does not mean by default we should know everything about Islam. I do not have to learn the details of Zakah - for example if I were a poor person. Even if I was rich I could seek the help of the knowledgeable. By not knowing these details, it does not make a non Muslim. the same goes for not having a beard. It makes a disobedient Muslim. But I am still a Muslim.

===========

But what I really wanted to know is - why do reverts need to/should hide their Islam? especially for people who live in the West, I do not understand why they need to hide it. The reason I am asking and puzzled by this, it is because I have lived here in the West for quite a while, and I have studied with and befriended a lot of Europeans. And they were all raised to be free in choosing any belief system, they like. They were brought up to question things and not to accept things blindly. Also they were mostly brought up and encouraged by their parents to do what makes them feel happy. If they chose any other belief system - like Buddhism for example, it would be fine and they will encouraged by their parent and friends. But when it comes to Islam, it is not fine. This is a very big contradiction in the values and principles which were given to the child.

To be honest when I realized this contradiction in their personality - through personal experience - this has affected me so much and I do not feel the same as before when i am around them or interact with them....

I do not know if it is my problem and I need to work on that...

Shak78

When I first became Muslim I had to hide it from my mother and Grandparents. My Grandparents were and still are aherants to the Christian Reform (Dutch) Church and knowing I was no longer in the fold so to speak would have hurt them deeply. So instead of hurting them I just never mentioned it to them. When it came to my mother she found out accidentally via my dog tags when I came back for winter break from Military School. She called me on it and was very angry with me for believing in Allah. She was a Wiccan. She disapproved and said if that is what I wanted then fine but she didn't want to see it in front of her. Until I moved out I practiced quietly in my room, sadly she passed on in 2008. Sometimes in the West, while people preach freedom of choice, when it comes to family, going against the grain and accepting Islam can cause a lot of family strife and harm.

esperanza

revert of many years
Calm down guys. We are here to learn from each other and help each other positively.

Being a Muslim does not mean by default we should know everything about Islam. I do not have to learn the details of Zakah - for example if I were a poor person. Even if I was rich I could seek the help of the knowledgeable. By not knowing these details, it does not make a non Muslim. the same goes for not having a beard. It makes a disobedient Muslim. But I am still a Muslim.

===========

But what I really wanted to know is - why do reverts need to/should hide their Islam? especially for people who live in the West, I do not understand why they need to hide it. The reason I am asking and puzzled by this, it is because I have lived here in the West for quite a while, and I have studied with and befriended a lot of Europeans. And they were all raised to be free in choosing any belief system, they like. They were brought up to question things and not to accept things blindly. Also they were mostly brought up and encouraged by their parents to do what makes them feel happy. If they chose any other belief system - like Buddhism for example, it would be fine and they will encouraged by their parent and friends. But when it comes to Islam, it is not fine. This is a very big contradiction in the values and principles which were given to the child.

To be honest when I realized this contradiction in their personality - through personal experience - this has affected me so much and I do not feel the same as before when i am around them or interact with them....

I do not know if it is my problem and I need to work on that...

maybe its to do wiht the western fear or misconceptions of islam..

as for the other point..yes being born muslim or becoming muslim,,,doesnot mean we know everything and we are all learning