Why do I hide my Islam?

JD19

Alhumdullilah ive been Muslim for 2 1/2 years. I recently got the courage to tell my mom. I feel now that at least one of my family members know, I can tell others or not hide it from others... But I tend to still hide my faith? WHY??? Today I was conversating with a co-worker.. I couldnt just say "Im Muslim"... I beat around the bush with comments like "I study Islam and I believe what it teaches, or I subscribe to the teachings of Islam" etc....

I always never told anyone cause I thought it was unfair to my family for others to know before them... but now that at least my mom knows, I should be open...but im not.... Has anyone else gone thru this?

On the one hand I feel guilty for not professing my faith but on the other hand, im afrad it would lead to more questions and it spreading to other people which would lead to more questions...

kiki18

yeah i know what u mean. i told my immediat family, but i have not told all my friends and my other relatives.

revert2007

Love Fishing
it depends on the situation whether u wanna tell or not.some people afraid to tell coz they might face some problem or danger.if u dont face any danger than its ok to tell your family at leats.because someone should know that ur muslim coz if something happen to u,they know how to do things the islamic way.(funeral i am sorry.)

JD19

No need to say sorry... That was one of the reasons which pushed me to tell my mom... what if I did die.. I woudlnt want to be cremated (as my parents' hindu faith prescribes them to do)

rtbour

american muslima
I have dealth with that problem, too. I am wearing hijab now, though. That pretty much tells everyone in the world without me saying anything! =) I used to have that problem at work, though, of thinking to tell people but being afraid to or unable to. I know how you feel. I think you will find a lot of people more receptive to it than you realize, though. Are you worried about people gossiping about you being muslim?

sunnyhayat

Still trying to increas Imaan
I am also hiding my intentions to take shahada, i donot know whether i will be able to tell it to anybody.

revert2007

Love Fishing
I am also hiding my intentions to take shahada, i donot know whether i will be able to tell it to anybody.
do not delay ur syahadah.well as a man i guess u dont have any problem even if u dont tell anyone about ur religion.but ususally women face problems coz we have to cover our aura and people will find out.well Allah has plans for all of us and do not worry to much.i told my mom after 2 weeks converting.that was after my asr prayer and all of a sudden without me realising i told her that i converted.Allah's plan.Alhamdulilah.don't be afraid of ur religion and be proud of ur religion.

if someone kill u coz of ur religion,INSYAALLAH SYAHID.there is nothing better than syahid.

Meekaal

Expressing your Islaam

Alhamdu li Allaah Who has guided you to the straight path. May Allaah keep you steadfast in your Deen. Keeping your situation and your environment in consideration, you should attempt to the best of your ability to show by actions and by words that you are a Muslim. If we keep our Islaam for ourselves, we won't be benefiting non-Muslims around us because we would be hiding the truth of Islaam from them depriving them of their birthright. We might as well be held responsible for not doing so on the Day of Judgment, may Allaah save us.

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aalaa) describes the best of believers as such:

وَمَنْ أَحْسَنُ قَوْلاً مِّمَّن دَعَا إِلَى اللَّهِ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحاً وَقَالَ إِنَّنِي مِنَ الْمُسْلِمِينَ

And who is better in speech than he who invites (people) to Allâh's (Islâmic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I am one of the Muslims."

In this verse, the best of believers are described as those possessing those qualities one of which is announcing that you are a Muslim. This should the pride of the Muslim and not something to be ashamed or afraid of.

May Allaah make your affairs easy for you.

sunnyhayat

Still trying to increas Imaan
do not delay ur syahadah.well as a man i guess u dont have any problem even if u dont tell anyone about ur religion.but ususally women face problems coz we have to cover our aura and people will find out.well Allah has plans for all of us and do not worry to much.i told my mom after 2 weeks converting.that was after my asr prayer and all of a sudden without me realising i told her that i converted.Allah's plan.Alhamdulilah.don't be afraid of ur religion and be proud of ur religion.

if someone kill u coz of ur religion,INSYAALLAH SYAHID.there is nothing better than syahid.

I have taken shahada but in complete secracy as i am not able to tell my immediate family. i need to talk to recent middaged hindu reverts about how to handle this

Julie1134

:D
Alhumdullilah ive been Muslim for 2 1/2 years. I recently got the courage to tell my mom. I feel now that at least one of my family members know, I can tell others or not hide it from others... But I tend to still hide my faith? WHY??? Today I was conversating with a co-worker.. I couldnt just say "Im Muslim"... I beat around the bush with comments like "I study Islam and I believe what it teaches, or I subscribe to the teachings of Islam" etc....

I always never told anyone cause I thought it was unfair to my family for others to know before them... but now that at least my mom knows, I should be open...but im not.... Has anyone else gone thru this?

On the one hand I feel guilty for not professing my faith but on the other hand, im afrad it would lead to more questions and it spreading to other people which would lead to more questions...

Salam, yes I have been through this as well. When I did finally tell my mom she didn't understand and she was a little upset. Mothers love their children no matter what they do. Alhamdulillah she now tells me she believes in Islam and she sometimes reads the Quran. Insh'Allah she will accept Islam. My husband was upset when he knew and he asked a million questions that I didn't have an answer for at the time as I was a new Muslimah. He said shahada not long ago alhamdulillah! Over time others in my family found out and they had some questions but they accept me for what I believe.

cookiedough-123

salam alikum

big hugs too u . dont worry there is a point like this that every muslim must go though we are faced with so many sistuations where we are unsure what we do and say. remeber to seek refuge in ALLAH from the cursed satan . cause SATAN is ur big eniemie of all he is the one that is trying to make u want to go bk to life of sin so he makes the good looks bad . i studied islam for many years before i reverted and when i did i had to face my cousin who was a close like a brother to me i put of facebook about ALLAH and he was shocked he didnt know i was muslim so i told him straight even tho i sed that there was something inside me feeling scared and worried . satan makes us feel like that when we are strong . its just a matter of breaking the ice and lettin people know what u stand for and belive in. we all comes in times of trials where we feel weak and we cant do things but the matter is u have come on the forum and spoken about it so u are doing thr right thing and im sure ALLAH swt knows ur intention that u love him and his prophet pbuh deerly. it takes time and knowledge so we can really sink our hearts with the truth . u already did that to ur mom and thats a gd thing . the biggest judge of them all is ALLAH and he knows best what u belive . keep makin dua to him and inshALLAH in time this worry be over ur not on ur own and the brothers and sisters will always be on the forum to help u inshALLAHX

sis khadijah *!*!*! :tti_sister:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
MashAllah!!!

Assalamu allaykum wa raahmatullah wa baararaktuhu beloved sister in Islaam.

MashAllah, that you accepted Islaam,and we all are very happy because of you. :hijabi:I pray Allah make your eman strong and do not test you with any hardships,although many of our new sisters and brothers are passing trough many hardships but on the end it finish good Alhamdulillah.

Dear sister, do not worry, Inshallah it will be good and Inshallah your beloved mum will accept that you are Muslimah now. You should explain her why did you accept Islaam,and try to give her Dawah about Islaam and its real image and not the one which is represented on medias. Maybe Inshallah, after she see how happy you are in Islaam, it will make her think more about our religion, you can read her Quran and expalin her meaning of Suraahs, ayahs,and you can aslo make her understand that Islaam is sent to all mainkinds and that it accepts all Prophetes s.a.w.s. which came with only one message of tahweed,beliveing in one God ( Allah),and submission to Him.

Inshallah you will be very happy in Islaam my sister. :hijabi::tti_sister:

May Allah bless you and make it easy for you. ameen

wa allaykum saalam wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuhu

weakslave

Whenever you have to make a decision, ask Allaah for guidance and do much Istikhaarah.

Every situation is different, and requires different answers. Think about it like this: if it is beneficial to announce your faith to this individual then do it. If it is beneficial to hide this information, then do so with the intention that some day you will inform this individual of your faith.

But one key thing to always keep in mind, when someone asks you directly what your faith is, then respond with confidence and the truth: "I am a Muslim".

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Let me start by saying that I am as American as white bread and apple pie but my own country has me so upset about the way some people are treated if they are just a little different...........(I dont mean to offend anyone because this does not include the way ALL people act alhamdulillah).

I wore hijab during this past Ramadan to honor Islam and I was fired from one of my jobs because of it. I have had difficulty in all areas of my life since I have reverted but that was the most devastating for me since now I am not able to wear hijab anymore. I was asked by my current employer to please NOT wear hijab to work (even though he is a devout Muslim and very dedicated to Islam). I cant be mad at him because the point he made is TRUE...........in this country you are soooooooo judged by your appearance it is insane.

I am SO proud to be Muslim. I would love to shout it from the rooftop and make EVERYONE aware that this is my life and who I am but I need to survive in this world and the only way to do that is to hide the fact that I adore this perfect and most beautiful religion.

I have mentioned it to a few people but most of them look at me as if I just told them I have a deadly disease or something. Most dont even know what being a Muslim means. One guy asked me out and when I told him I cant date because I am Muslim he said "geez its just a religion". I didnt even offer an explanation to that comment. NO it is NOT just a religion........it is a way of life. Being a Muslim is the most important and precious thing in my life but sadly.......not too many people know that about me and that breaks my heart. :girl3:

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
As salamo alaikome

Let me start by saying that I am as American as white bread and apple pie but my own country has me so upset about the way some people are treated if they are just a little different...........(I dont mean to offend anyone because this does not include the way ALL people act alhamdulillah).

I wore hijab during this past Ramadan to honor Islam and I was fired from one of my jobs because of it. I have had difficulty in all areas of my life since I have reverted but that was the most devastating for me since now I am not able to wear hijab anymore. I was asked by my current employer to please NOT wear hijab to work (even though he is a devout Muslim and very dedicated to Islam). I cant be mad at him because the point he made is TRUE...........in this country you are soooooooo judged by your appearance it is insane.

I am SO proud to be Muslim. I would love to shout it from the rooftop and make EVERYONE aware that this is my life and who I am but I need to survive in this world and the only way to do that is to hide the fact that I adore this perfect and most beautiful religion.

I have mentioned it to a few people but most of them look at me as if I just told them I have a deadly disease or something. Most dont even know what being a Muslim means. One guy asked me out and when I told him I cant date because I am Muslim he said "geez its just a religion". I didnt even offer an explanation to that comment. NO it is NOT just a religion........it is a way of life. Being a Muslim is the most important and precious thing in my life but sadly.......not too many people know that about me and that breaks my heart. :girl3:

One day you will stand proudly and say to this world
: I"M A MUSLIM

InshaA'a Allah :)

don't worry .. I know that you are facing so many difficulties but Allah is with you don't fear any one except him .

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Yup... Im afraid of ppl gossipping about me being Muslim...

As-salaamu `alaykum

Even if you tell them, they still will. So you're better off getting it when the time is right so that you can practice your faith freely. May Allaah ease your situation. Ameen.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As-salaamu `alaykum,

Once I make the commitment to Allah and Islam, I do not plan on hiding my light under a bushel basket. Who is anyone who's opinion of me should matter more than Allah. When following the path of The Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) it is, in my humble opinion, important to fear no man and to only fear Allah's Anger.

I realize that this is often difficult for children living under their parents roof or for a woman who is married to a kafir.

Men fathlek/ fathleki do not think that I am trying to teach anyone deen. I am certainly not qualified. I am merely paraphrasing what I have read thus far:

Submission (Islam): Abraham's Religion*

[2:135] They said, "You have to be Jewish or Christian, to be guided." Say, "We follow the religion of Abraham - monotheism - he never was an idol worshiper."
No Distinction Among God's Messengers

[2:136] Say, "We believe in GOD, and in what was sent down to us, and in what was sent down to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Patriarchs; and in what was given to Moses and Jesus, and all the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction among any of them. To Him alone we are submitters."

[2:137] If they believe as you do, then they are guided. But if they turn away, then they are in opposition. GOD will spare you their opposition; He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.

[2:138] Such is GOD's system, and whose system is better than GOD's? "Him alone we worship."

[2:139] Say, "Do you argue with us about GOD, when He is our Lord and your Lord? We are responsible for our deeds, and you are responsible for your deeds. To Him alone we are devoted."

[2:140] Do you say that Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Patriarchs were Jewish or Christian? Say, "Do you know better than GOD? Who is more evil than one who conceals a testimony he has learned from GOD? GOD is never unaware of anything you do."

[2:141] That was a community from the past. They are responsible for what they earned, and you are responsible for what you earned. You are not answerable for anything they did.

Here is an article that explains why one might not wish to be identified as a Muslim because of xenophobia.

Someday I hope to know The Noble Quran as well as I know The Tanakh and the Brit Chadashah, Insha Allah