Why does the Quran refer to itself as the book?

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Assalamualaikum,

Maybe its just me and my stupidity (and the English translation?) but the Quran refers to itself as the Book? but doesn't the Quran mean recitation?

Just curious, and I want to really clarify the matter, I hate confusion.

Walaikumasalam.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Book means "Kitab" in arabic (written book)..
Taken from "Kataba" (wrote), "Kitabah" (writing).

It was named "The Book" because it was meant to be gathered and written in one book as it is now, to prevent it from being lost or altered.

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
Walaikumasalam - thank you for the replies! very helpful :) May Allah reward you for your good deeds!

Assalamualaikum,

Maybe its just me and my stupidity (and the English translation?) but the Quran refers to itself as the Book? but doesn't the Quran mean recitation?

Just curious, and I want to really clarify the matter, I hate confusion.

Walaikumasalam.

:salam2:

That translation can't translate properly, in the Quran, the written book was and is not in the earth, so when there is kitaab it is referring to the wriiten book with Allah subhanna watalla. It never says written book meaning Quran it says that which is brought down and says it is the Quran or implies it as revelation.

when you look for meanings see where it says kitaab, that means book while Quran means that which is recited.

The second ayah of surat al-baqarah says the book but it also says that which is far away when it uses aoolaika. if it meant the what you are reading it would of said hatha.

:wasalam:

~Ali_

Fixing da foundation
:salam2:

That translation can't translate properly, in the Quran, the written book was and is not in the earth, so when there is kitaab it is referring to the wriiten book with Allah subhanna watalla. It never says written book meaning Quran it says that which is brought down and says it is the Quran or implies it as revelation.

when you look for meanings see where it says kitaab, that means book while Quran means that which is recited.

The second ayah of surat al-baqarah says the book but it also says that which is far away when it uses aoolaika. if it meant the what you are reading it would of said hatha.

:wasalam:

salamz brother - yeah I was thinking about the kitaab which is with Allah swt the other day :) you just confirmed.

May Allah bless you all for your efforts to answer my silly questions :)

wasalam