Why don't christians acknowledge the Gospal of Barnabas?

Salaam,

The reason why Christians reject the Gospel of Barnabas is because it goes against what their families have been taught to believe and their own desires. These are strange concepts for them to grasp after what has passed down from their families and lineage. They'll feel isolated if they leave their families history & rituals. The Gospel of Barnabas states:

1. It states that God is One and not three / No divinity of Jesus
2. It states that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the last Prophet of God
3. It states that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the Messiah
4. It does not talk about any original sin
5. It states that the last Prophet will be an Ishmaelite
6. It also denies the crucifixion

"Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord."
(Mark 12:29)

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord"
(Deuteronomy 6:4)

BigAk

How do they claim that it's written by muslims???

What do you guys think of their dispute of its authenticity??

"No one knows who actually wrote the Gospel of Barnabas but what is known, without shadow of doubt, is that whoever it was, it most certainly was not the Apostle Barnabas. It was most probably a Muslim in Spain who, possibly the victim of the reconquest of his country, decided to take private revenge by composing a false Gospel under the assumed name of Barnabas to give his obnoxious forgery some measure of apparent authenticity. He probably first composed the Italian script to maintain this appearance of genuineness but simultaneously composed (or arranged for such a translation) a Spanish version for distribution in his own country. He may well have been the notorious Fra Marine or he may have been the translator Mustafa de Aranda, or indeed he may well have been both - using the two names for the same expedient ends as those he sought to achieve through using the name of Barnabas as the author of his book. He most certainly was someone far more at home in Spain in the Middle Ages rather than in Palestine at the time of Jesus Christ.

Whatever the Gospel of Barnabas may claim to be, whatever it may appear to be, whatever the Muslim world would like it to be, a general study of its contents and authorship shows that it is a poor attempt to forge a life of Jesus consonant with the profile of Jesus in the Qur'an and Islamic tradition. The Muslim world will do well to reject this book as a clear forgery - for that is what it unmistakably proves to be. "

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
The reason why Christians reject the Gospel of Barnabas is because it goes against what their families have been taught to believe and their own desires. The Gospel of Barnabas states:

1. It states that God is One and not three / No divinity of Jesus
2. It states that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the last Prophet of God
3. It states that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the Messiah
4. It does not talk about any original sin
5. It states that the last Prophet will be an Ishmaelite
6. It also denies the crucifixion

Assalamualaikum dear Brothers & Sisters,

Just as the Christian rejects the Gospel of Barnabas - Similarly, EVERY MUSLIM SHOULD ALSO REJECT THE GOSPEL OF BARNABAS

This Gospel claims that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the Messiah.

The QURAN confirms that Jesus (pbuh) was the Messiah.

So, any person or book which claims otherwise should be rejected.

So, dear brothers and sisters, please do not circulate any false information. The Gospel of Barnabas should be rejected by Muslims also.

Achmat_Samsodien

If you get to ask then could you ask a question for me?

Could you ask who this is in reference to?

http://bible.cc/isaiah/29-12.htm

This is a direct reference to our Nabie Muhammad SAW, when Jibreel AS came, revealing first verses of surah Al-'Alaq, to him and to hold him read he said he cannot. Nabie Muhammad SAW the best of all creation was illiterate and could not read or write. Christians deny this as being our beloved prophet SAW, woe unto them they belie the signs of Allah and in doing so will receive a great punishment.

A thing I've noticed is that if one is just simply to read Hadith of the Prophets predictions of signs of the day of Judgement surely it is proof enough, The Qur'aan is an even bigger proof. Allah has hardened their hearts
because they deny the proofs.

May Allah protect us all from the fitnah of this world Insha Allah

BigAk

This is a direct reference to our Nabie Muhammad SAW, when Jibreel AS came, revealing first verses of surah Al-'Alaq, to him and to hold him read he said he cannot. Nabie Muhammad SAW the best of all creation was illiterate and could not read or write. Christians deny this as being our beloved prophet SAW, woe unto them they belie the signs of Allah and in doing so will receive a great punishment.

A thing I've noticed is that if one is just simply to read Hadith of the Prophets predictions of signs of the day of Judgement surely it is proof enough, The Qur'aan is an even bigger proof. Allah has hardened their hearts
because they deny the proofs.

May Allah protect us all from the fitnah of this world Insha Allah

Amazing thing....

So when christians read this verse from Isiah, Whom do they attribute it to be directed to??

"And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned." Isaiah 29:12

BigAk

Just as the Christian rejects the Gospel of Barnabas - Similarly, EVERY MUSLIM SHOULD ALSO REJECT THE GOSPEL OF BARNABAS

So, dear brothers and sisters, please do not circulate any false information. The Gospel of Barnabas should be rejected by Muslims also.

My impression was that it talked about two messiahs one is known for his "priestly" work (Jesus) and the other is known of his "kingly" work (Muhammad). The word messiah here means "annointed one" and not necesarily the title which Allah has designated for Jesus himself. The jews were expecting two messiahs to come. As a muslim, I don't see anything wrong with this... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here... read what Mish'al Bin Abdallah wrote in his book (What did Jesus Realy Say) ----> http://media.isnet.org/off/Islam/JesusSay/ch6.1.html

nobbyv

Abu Maryam
My impression was that it talked about two messiahs one is known for his "priestly" work (Jesus) and the other is known of his "kingly" work (Muhammad). The word messiah here means "annointed one" and not necesarily the title which Allah has designated for Jesus himself. The jews were expecting two messiahs to come. As a muslim, I don't see anything wrong with this... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here... read what Mish'al Bin Abdallah wrote in his book (What did Jesus Realy Say) ----> http://media.isnet.org/off/Islam/JesusSay/ch6.1.html

Hello BigAk,

Yes, i agree that the Jews were waiting for 3 distinct personalities - Elias, Christ and the Prophet.

Even though Messiah means "anointed one", this title is exclusive for Jesus (pbuh) alone. For e.g., a common title for our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) is A Mercy to Mankind; this title should not be given for any other prophets. Similarly, even though it means anointed, the title of Messiah or Christ belongs to Jesus (pbuh) alone and should not be shared.

Hence, if any person of book claims so, it can be clearly rejected....

It is such minor alterations which can finally lead to a bigger fitnah...

Hope this clarifies...

JazakAllahu Kyaren for the link...

Walaikum assalam

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Salaam
I agree with nobbyv, The title of the messiah is given to Jesus (pbuh) and nobody else. He has been the spirtual messiah and will return to be the political messiah.

Muhammad (pbuh) is the last prophet of God to the whole of humanity.

BigAk

Hello BigAk,

Yes, i agree that the Jews were waiting for 3 distinct personalities - Elias, Christ and the Prophet.

Even though Messiah means "anointed one", this title is exclusive for Jesus (pbuh) alone. For e.g., a common title for our prophet Muhammed (pbuh) is A Mercy to Mankind; this title should not be given for any other prophets. Similarly, even though it means anointed, the title of Messiah or Christ belongs to Jesus (pbuh) alone and should not be shared.

Hence, if any person of book claims so, it can be clearly rejected....

It is such minor alterations which can finally lead to a bigger fitnah...

Hope this clarifies...

JazakAllahu Kyaren for the link...

Walaikum assalam

nobbyv :salam2:

I agree with the above...

But; who wrote the gospal of Barnabas?? The christians are claiming that it's written by some muslim which I find strange. Yet its closeness to the concepts of Islam (besides calling Muhammad (pbu) the messiah) shows validity to their claim. We all know that many muslims believe in the idea that Judas was the one substituted on the cross instead of Jesus (pbu).

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Please bear in mind that this inconsistency is consistent with much of Christianity. The authorship of much of what is the Bible is in doubt. I do not wish to send you down the road of politics and the corruption of the Vatican and the election of the papacy.
The bottom line is this has little or nothing to do with Islam. It is a better use of time to seek the knowledge that Islam offers..our answers lie within the Holy Quran.

BigAk

Salaam,

Please bear in mind that this inconsistency is consistent with much of Christianity. The authorship of much of what is the Bible is in doubt. I do not wish to send you down the road of politics and the corruption of the Vatican and the election of the papacy.
The bottom line is this has little or nothing to do with Islam. It is a better use of time to seek the knowledge that Islam offers..our answers lie within the Holy Quran.

There's no doubt in the accuracy of your statement mirajmom... I am in full agreement. The reason I am studying all of these things that relate to christianity is to gain more knowledge that will enable me to spread Da'wa to our christian brothers. For instance; what attracted me about the gospal of Barnabas is its closeness to Islam especially when it comes to disputing the crucifixion (cucifiction as Sheik Deedat puts it LOL). Baranabas was one of the apostles of the prophet Jesus (pbu). So, showing the christian such gospal is probably more convincing to them since they don't acknowledge our Qur'an as the true word of Allah. I am also, looking at the The Apocalypse of Peter... Which almost made it in the final bible but didn't...

http://wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studies/noncanon/apoc/fgapcpt.htm

Salaam respected brother,

I agree that there are some concepts in the Gospels of Barnabas (GOB) that are not in line with the Quran - which I reject as well. There are some themes in the GOB that are in line with the Quran - which I accept. There are some topics that are mentioned in the Gospels of Barnabas that is not mentioned in the Quran - which I stay neutral nor dispute. To reject the GOB in full or complete is wrong!

The Gospel of Barnabas calls Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) a Messiah. The Quran says that Jesus (pbuh) is the Messiah. This part seems to contradict with the Quran, one proof of it being a true book of Barnabas.

However, when we read the Jewish books, we see that there is no problem with this claim as other Prophets have also been called by this title in 1 Samuel 15:17, 1 Kings 1:39, 1 Samuel 16:13, Leviticus 4.

We see that this claim to reject the Gospel of Barnabas is not a valid excuse.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I do understand. It is not for me to question. What I have discovered amongst Christians often is their refusal to understand their church history. Often many Christians are confused by their sects. The Evangelicans do not understand that Catholicism is a branch of Christianity. They often are confused by Judasim. But they will fight for Israel because it is referenced in the Bible. Too, there is so much division among the Protestants. It amazes me that many Evangelicals will not walk into a Roman Catholic Church nor a Southern Baptist church. Some Anglican churches are very happy with the gay female priest whereas other sects do not allow women to preach. Yes, I agree it is important to gain an insight as to what branch of Christianity they adhere to. Most Evangelicals find solace in the words of Paul. And if I am correct Paul and the apostle renamed Barnabus were friends who broke apart.
So it stands to reason why the Gospel According to Barnabus would not be included. Why would you include a book that indicates your belief system points to the Messenger of Allah subhana talla.
I must say you must be patient. I pray other brothers and sisters give you the soild answers you are looking for.