Women & Feet???!!

truefaith101

~*~I Love Islam~*~
:salam2:

how are you doing brothers/sisters?

i have a question, are women in islam allowed to show their feet? i mean i see many women that wear hijab in the summer wearing sandles and flipflops, so i'm not sure, are we allowed to or not?

jazakum Allahu kheir!

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

The answer given to me was it is a personal choice. I am from the subcontinent..socks and shoes kill me...I wear sandals in everything but the ice. The answer was given to me by sisters in the masjid who run the educational programs.

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Doesn't the level of decoration also have something to do with it? I know some Indo/Pak/Bengali women paint their hands and feet with henna; and I think I read somewhere that they're supposed to keep them covered in public if they've done so. Ditto for the hands. Though I did see a girl with bare henna-ed hands the other day, so it might not be a hard and fast rule.

shaz_1999

Im not sure anyway I cant stand peopls feet, so I wear socks most the time only when it is proper hot then I would wear sandles.

Sorry was not much help

zientje

for as far as i know is mentioned in the qoran that women can show face and hands as simmulare as for salaat,and Allah knows best.:tti_sister:

zarah

Islam
Staff member

Sis I think you can wear sandals but obviously you cannot show your ankle...(I think!),I don`t think your sandals should be Really decorated that you catch attention from brothers.:girl3:

Praise2Allah

I am 99% sure that there is a hadith which specifically says that showng the feet isnt allowed. Maybe someone could help with that? The feet to some men is also a source of attraction, yes sexual attraction, so it would be better to hide it and Allah knows best.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

A man should not look at the awrah of the another man, nor a woman of a woman, nor should a man go under one cloth with another man, nor a woman with another woman.
(Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi).

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

Women MUST cover their feet, it is part of her awrah... and this includes for prayer too...

The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid, because the Prophet :saw: said:
"Allaah will not accept the prayer of a woman who has started to menstruate, except with a khimaar (covering)" (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and al-Tirmidhi, with a saheeh isnaad)

wasalam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asalaamu Alaykum

Women MUST cover their feet, it is part of her awrah... and this includes for prayer too...

The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid, because the Prophet :saw: said:
"Allaah will not accept the prayer of a woman who has started to menstruate, except with a khimaar (covering)" (Reported by Ahmad, Abu Dawud, Ibn Maajah and al-Tirmidhi, with a saheeh isnaad)

wasalam

Precisely....Can the US be warmer than The Arabia?? I dont think so

AbuKhalid

Women have to cover their feet when praying and when in front of non-mahrams. This is the view of most scholars, except some of the hanafis.

Imam abu Hanifa rahimahullah said it was permissible based on no evidence to prove otherwise, but that was at his time when the specific evidence (i.e the hadeeth) did not reach him. He was considered a taabe'i and he lived well before the famous compilers of the ahadeeth such as Imaam Bukhari.Remember, Imaam Abu Hanifa was not a collector of hadeeth unlike the later imams. Hence, not accepting imaam Au Hanifa's view on this does not mean that we disrepect him. He, himself said advised us to take rulings with stronger proof (daleel).

There is a hadeeth:

Ibn ‘Umar, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allaah will not look at him.’ Umm Salamah said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, what should women do with their hems?’ He said, ‘Let them go down a handspan.’ She asked, ‘What if their feet show?’ He said, ‘Let them lengthen it by a cubit, but no more.’" Nisaa'i, Kitaab al-zeenah, Baab dhuyool

What is relevant for us here is that Umm Salama was concerned that the womens feet would show, hence the prophet pbuh said to lengthen it al lil bit more to cover.

This is the correct view ... if you wear socks, then fine. If not, make sure that your dress is long enough to cover your feet

I'll look into the fataawa of the scholars and post them soon inshaAllah, unless someone else can help do that
wa salaamu 3alaikum

Globalpeace

Banned
Ruling concerning women covering their feet in prayer

Asslamo Allaikum,

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=1046&ln=eng&txt=women feet

Question:
What is the proof that women have to cover their feet during prayer for prayer to be accepted?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The free woman who has attained the age of majority is obliged to cover her entire body during prayer, apart from her face and hands, because all of her is ‘awrah. If she prays and any part of her ‘awrah becomes uncovered, such as a shin or foot or all or part of her head, then her prayer is invalid, because the Prophet said:

Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah that she asked the Prophet about a woman who prayed wearing a dir’ (chemise or upper garment) and a khimaar (head cover), but no izaar (lower garment). He said: "The woman is ‘awrah."

As for the face, the Sunnah is to uncover it during prayer, so long as no non-mahram men are present. According to the majority of scholars, the feet must be covered; some scholars allow uncovering the feet but the majority say the opposite. Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she was asked about a woman who prayed in a khimaar and qamees (dress or gown). She said, "There is nothing wrong with it if the dir’ (chemise) covers her feet." In any case, it is better to cover the feet, to be on the safe side. As far as the hands are concerned, there is more leeway: there is nothing wrong with either covering them or uncovering them, although some scholars think that it is better to cover them. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 57

truefaith101

~*~I Love Islam~*~

Jazakum Allahu kheir Brothers and Sisters;

The responds were very informative and helpful!

May Allah (swt) answer your prayers and grant you Heaven. Ameen.

muharram23

Staff member
salamu alaykum,

How beatyful it is when brothers and sisters back what they say with proofs from Quran and Sunnah!!!

Muharram

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
According to the majority of scholars, the feet must be covered; some scholars allow uncovering the feet but the majority say the opposite. Abu Dawud reported from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that she was asked about a woman who prayed in a khimaar and qamees (dress or gown). She said, "There is nothing wrong with it if the dir’ (chemise) covers her feet." In any case, it is better to cover the feet, to be on the safe side. As far as the hands are concerned, there is more leeway: there is nothing wrong with either covering them or uncovering them, although some scholars think that it is better to cover them. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 57

Jazakum Allahu khayran!!!