"Women Only Jihad"

Submitter

:salam2:

Did anyone watch the program on Channel4 called Women Only Jihad? For those of you that didn't, it was about a group of women who were campaigning for the right to attend masjids in the UK for praying, women Qur'an classes, etc.

In their efforts, they were handing out leaflets outside a local masjid to men coming out from Friday prayers. I must admit I was quite surprised at the response that they received from these men. Many were simply telling them to "go back home", "you shouldn't be here", etc. Some were even being abusive. It seemed many of them felt the women had no right to be at the masjid. I must admit, I didn't think there would be such a negative response from them. My local masjid has a beautiful women's prayer room and the masjid holds weekly Qur'an classes especially for women, mashallah. In fact, every week our imam encourages more women to attend and be a part of the masjid's women's association. I really wish they would have come to our masjid! But one thing I did not agree with is the approach the group of women took. Apparantly they knew the masjid would not react favourably and I think for them to go there and start a scene at Friday prayers was totally unnecessary. The last thing we want to see is brothers and sisters arguing and shouting over each other in the middle of the street.

I was wondering, is this another case of tradition coming before religion? This issue is pretty clear in Islam:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=983

------
Praise be to Allah.

There is no doubt that a woman’s prayer in her house is better for her than praying in the mosque, as is indicated by the Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him). He said: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Whenever a woman prays in a place that is more private and more hidden, that is better for her, as the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "A woman’s prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
From ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
(1) She should wear complete hijaab.
(2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
(3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so. And Allaah knows best.
------

Any views? :)

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

I thought the documentary was a big shame for our Muslim community in the UK.

It showed great ignorance of Islam by all those involved, including the women and the mpac man.

Firstly, they are going to those type of Mosques that have many Shirk and Bidah beliefs. They believe in Saint Worship and innovate in many aspects of our Deen. So yeah, they will have strange ideas about women. Their ideas will have nothing to do with Islam.

But, starting point in fixing anything is to tackle and correct the foundations. Make sure people worship Allah alone, make sure people remove all the unIslamic cultural elements out of Islam and their family life.

These women should have been striving to rid the Shirk and Bidah that their Society is Plagued with rather than prancing outside of Mosques making Muslims look bad. I would like to see if any of those people could explain what Islam even is?

The worst thing about the program, and i stopped watching it about 20 mins through, is the fact that they all argued outside the mosque. One of the silly men actually said "F Off". I believe that sums up how intelligent and Islamic these people are.

They have a Lot to learn about Islam.

Some parts of Arab and South Asian culture go against Islam. This must be rejected. The ignorant mix these things together and completely ignore the way that the Allah and his beloved Prophet :saw: came with.

You might see some people who think women must be confined to the home, that they should be made to walk 10 feet behind men etc. And some unfortunately have ordasity to write such books. Then there are the Hindu beliefs that the South Asian in particular introduce into their lives. The racist Caste System etc. The forced marriages etc.

If they do Shirk and lie about Allah and about the Prophet, then how can anyone expect these sorts of people to respect women? or anyone else for that matter?

At the time of the Prophet :saw: women prayed in same place as the men. They would stand directly behind the men. There was no wall, no barrier between them.

`A’ishah, the Mother of the Believers (may Allah be pleased with her) said that the believing women used to attend the Dawn prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). They used to come wrapped up in their long garments and then they used to return to their homes after the prayer, no one could recognize them because of the darkness. (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

[SIZE=-1]"Ibn 'Abbass said, 'A beautiful woman, from among the most beautiful of women, used to pray behind the Prophet (SAAW). Some of the people used to go to pray in the front row to ensure they would not be able to see her. Others would pray in the last row of the men, and they would look from underneath their armpits to see her."

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Because of this act, in regard to her, Allah revealed: "Verily, We know the eager among you to be in the front and verily We know the eager to be behind." (15:24).

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Narrated by Ibn Majah, Abu Dawud, Attayalisy, Baihaqi, Ahmad, Tirmidhi, Nasai and others. It was judged authentic by Sheikh Al-Albaanee in his book, Silsilat Al-Ahaadeeth As-Saheehah #2472, where he quoted many scholars who judged it to be authentic.

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]As you can see from this Hadeeth, there was a Fitnah, but the answer was not a partition, rather it was the reminder of Allah. What suffices for them suffices for us, and Allah knows best.[/SIZE]

AishaR

:salam2:

I am the same as Br Mabsoot, I turned off after the swearing. Its a shame all that energy wasnt channelled into a more worth while cause.

:wasalam:

aaminah29

:salam2: i thought it was very embarrasing.Wot impression did the non muslims get when they watched.It was,nt dealt with in the right way.:astag: :hijabi: