Words of Wisdom [heart softening]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shishani

Staff member
Assalamu alaykum warahmatullah.

I will put a lot of amazing, beneficial, useful, heart softening sayings of the Salaf of this Ummah
(sahaabah, taabi'oon, their followers and the great Imaams), inshaaAllaah.

The source will (mainly) be www.SayingsoftheSalaf.net
may Allaah reward them with good

Last edited:

Shishani

Staff member

It is reported from Ibn Sîrîn – Allâh have mercy on him – that a man once said to Ibn ‘Umar – Allâh be pleased with him: Can we offer you some Jawârish?
He inquired, “And what is Jawârish?” The man replied, “It is something that will help you digest your food if you get too full up.” Ibn ‘Umar said, “I have not eaten my fill for four months – not because I cannot find food, but because I have lived with people who used to eat their fill at times and go hungry at others.”
Abû Dâwûd, Al-Zuhd article 325.

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him – said:
By He in whose Hand is my soul, I have lived amongst people who never ordered food to be prepared for themselves If [food] was presented to one of them, he would eat, otherwise, he would be silent; and he would not care if it was hot or cold.
Abû Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyâ` 6:270.

It is also reported that he said:
By Allâh, I have lived amongst people who when taking lunch, if they were about to be full, would stop eating.
Ibid.

It is reported that Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd – Allâh have mercy on him – said:
Two things harden the heart, too much talking and too much food.
Ibn Hibbân Al-Bustî, Rawdatu Al-’Uqalâ` p45, Matba’ah Al-Sunnah Al-Muhammadîyah 1949.

It is reported that Mâlik b. Dînâr – Allâh have mercy on him – said:
It is unfitting for a believer that his belly becomes his greatest concern, or that his desires dominate him.
Ibn Abî Al-Dunyâ, Al-Jû’ (The Book of Hunger) article 105.

It is also reported that he said:
Whoever controls his belly controls all good deeds.
Ibid. article 99.

It is reported that the Tâbi’î (Successor) ‘Uqbah b. Wassâj – Allâh have mercy on him – was once at a wedding reception where many kinds of dishes were offered and people started trying one dish after another. He started to cry, and said: “I found the first part of this Ummah fearing all this upon themselves.” And he ate only from one dish.
Ibid. article 261.

It is reported that Muhammad b. Sîrîn – Allâh have mercy on him – said:
A man from the Companions of the Prophet – praise and peace of Allâh be upon him – would sometimes go three days without finding anything to eat, so he would grill some animal skin and eat that. If he couldn’t find anything at all, he would [tie] a rock to himself to straighten his back.
Ibid. article 61.

Shishani

Staff member
How much should I..?

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

A scholar once asked another greater than him in knowledge, “How much should I build?” He replied, “As much as shelters you from the sun and the rain.” He asked, “How much food should I eat?” He replied, “More than what keeps you hungry and less than what makes you full.” He asked, “How much should I wear?” He replied, “As the Messiah (Jesus) did.” He asked, “How much should I laugh?” He replied, “As much as appears on your face but does not make audible your voice.” He asked, “How much should I cry?” He replied, “Never tire from crying out of the fear of Allâh.” He asked, “How much should I hide my deeds?” He replied, “Until people think you had not done a good deed.” He asked, “How much should I make public my deeds?” He replied, “As much as will let the keen follow your example but not have the people talk about you.”

Wahb said. “Everything has two ends and a middle. If you grab one end, the other will slant, but if you take the middle, both ends will balance. Stick to the balanced middle in all affairs.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyâ` 4:45.

Shishani

Staff member
Made wudoo before he died

Umm Haashim at-Taa'iyyah said: "I saw ‘Abdullaah ibn Busr make wudoo, and therafter he (radhi-yallaahu ‘anhu) died."
Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa 3/432
Reciting Quraan before he died

Abu Bakar al-‘Atawee said: I was with al-Junayd when death was approaching him, and he completed [reciting] the Qur'aan, then began [reciting] Soorah al-Baqarah – reciting seventy aayahs before he died.
Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa 14/76
Never did I see anyone who remembered death more than him

It was reported on the authority of Qubaydhah, who said: Never did I sit in the gathering of Sufyaan, except that there was mention of death, [and] never did I see anyone who remembered death more than him.
as-Siyar 7/240

You do not know what has been destined for him

Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahima-hullaah) mentions: Do not bear witness for any of the people of Islaam (i.e. that he is a person of Paradise or of the Fire) due to a good or bad deed, since you do not know what his final action before his death will be. You hope for Allaah’s Mercy for him and you fear for him because of his sins. You do not know what has been destined for him at the time of his death as regards repentance and what Allaah has destined for that time if he dies upon Islaam. You hope for Allaah’s Mercy for him and you fear for him because of his sins.

Sharhus-Sunnah (Imaam al-Barbahaaree)

Shishani

Staff member
Better than the voluntary Hajj

Abu Daawood narrated: Ibraaheem ibn Tahmaan departed for [the voluntary] hajj. [Along the way] he passed by Neesaaboor. [There] he found them to be upon the speech (teachings) of Jahm [ibn Safwaan]. So he said: ‘[For me] to remain with these [people] is better than [to proceed] for [the voluntary] hajj; So he remained [with the people of Neesaaboor], and guided them away from the speech (teachings) of Jahm [ibn Safwaan].’
as-Siyar 7/381

The Jamaa’ah is what accords to the truth

Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood (radhi-yAllaahu ‘anhu) said: The Jamaa’ah is what accords to the truth, even if you are alone.
Sharh Usool I’tiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah – al-Laalakaa'ee

He would quietly stand the entire night in prayer

On the authority of Salaam [who said]: Ayyoob as-Sikhtiyaanee used to quietly stand the entire night in prayer, and in the morning [at the time of Fajr] he would raise his voice as if [giving the impression] he had just awoken at that time.
Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa 6/17

Being charitable to relatives

Ash-Sha’bee said: Never has a relative of mine who had an outstanding loan died, except that I paid it off for him.

Tadhkiratul-Huffaadh 1/81

Shishani

Staff member
A servant who fasts a day in the way of Allaah

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudree (radhi-yAllaahu ‘anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: There is not a servant who fasts a day in the way of Allaah, except that Allaah removes his face from the Fire by the distance of seventy years because of that.
al-Bukhaaree 6/35, Muslim 1153

My father would never miss fasting

‘Abdullaah ibn Ahmad said: My father (i.e. Ahmad ibn Hanbal) would never miss fasting [every] Monday and Thursday, and the three full moon days[1].
Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa 11/223

Footnote: [1] The 13th, 14th and 15th days of every hijrah calendar month.

Knowledge which does not benefit

Ma’sar said: ‘Abdul-A’laa said to me: Certainly he who has been given knowledge which does not cause him to weep, then it is feared he has not been given knowledge which benefits him.
Ahmad in "az-Zuhd" 209

Acting in accordance

Sufyaan ath-Thawree said: No hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has ever reached me, except that I have acted according to (practiced) it – even if only once.
Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa – 7/242

Shishani

Staff member
Good manners & knowledge

Yoosuf ibn al-Husayn said: "…it is with good manners that knowledge is understood."
Iqtidhaa al-‘Ilm wal-‘Amal – 170, an-Nubath fee Aadaab Talab al-‘Ilm – 120

The excellence of the scholar

al-Khateeb al-Baghdaadee said: "…and like this it is incumbent upon the student to recognise the excellence of the jurist (scholar), and acknowledge the knowledge he (the scholar) possesses is that which he (the student) has acquired, and from him (the scholar) he (the student) has taken."
al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih – 2/134, an-Nubath fee Aadaab Talab al-‘Ilm – 122

I shall repeat them all from memory

‘Abdullaah ibn Haaroon al-Ma'moon (died 218A.H.) narrated: al-Ameen and al-Ma.moon travelled to ‘Abdullaah ibn Idrees who narrated a hundred hadeeth to them. al-Ma.moon then said: “O Uncle, if you permit me, I shall repeat them [all] from memory.” So he permitted him, and he repeated them [all] from his memory as he had heard them, and Ibn Idrees was surprised at his memorisation.

Tadhkiratul-Huffaadh 1/ 281, al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah 14/14, al-Hifdh – Ahammiyyatuhu, ‘Ajaaibuhu, Tareeqatuhu, Asbaabuhu – 18

Shishani

Staff member
Every three days during Ramadhaan

It was narrated about Qataadah, that he would complete [the recitation of] the [entire] Qur.aan every seven [days], and [likewise] do so every three [days] during Ramadhaan.
Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa 8/490

So that you may attain a reward similar to that of mine

It was reported about ‘Utbah al-Ghulaam, that when he was ready to break his fast [at sunset], he would say to some of his companions around him: Go and get me [some] water or dried dates to break my fast with, so that you may attain a reward similar to that of mine.[1]
Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wal-Hikam 110

[1] The Prophet (sal-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: «Whoever gives iftaar to one who is fasting, will have a reward like his – without detracting from the reward of the fasting person in the slightest.» (at-Tirmidhee 708, authentic)

Let the workers work

Abu Bakr an-Neesaabooree narrates: I visited Ibraaheem ibn Haani whilst he was on his deathbed. [Whilst there] he called his son Ismaa’eel and said to him: Has the sun set [yet]? He (Ismaa’eel) replied: No. He then said: O my father, [the likes of] you are permitted to break your fast [in such a severe situation, even] when the fast is obligatory, though your fast is [only] voluntary; Take it easy (don’t burden yourself).
Then he (Abu Bakr an-Neesaabooree) said: {For the like of this, let the workers work}, [Soorah as-Saaffaat 37:61) …and then his (Ibraaheem’s) soul departed.
Sifatus-Safwah 2/401

Status
Not open for further replies.