Would you??!??

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2: brothers and sisters,
I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan

I have brought up psychological issues among Muslims in other threads before, but no one really addressed them. In fact, there were zero replies! Anyhow, I am bringing up a new one and hope that at least we can discuss this insha'Allah.

The question is do any of you guys know of Muslim support groups (specifically for people suffering from mental illnesses). Also, if you suffer from depression, bipolar and the likes, do you think you'd join an all Muslim support group to discuss ways to heal and share tips or just simply try to connect with people like you who're also Muslims??

I feel like mental illnesses in the Muslim community are not really addressed and for some it might even shock them that "a MUSLIM person" is depressed or suicidal (due to depression). I think, personally that it would be beneficial and I'd definitely join one. Other support groups aren't as helpful (because we don't share the same faith)---but yea,

Any ideas, concerns, questions, and criticisms are welcome!

Stay blessed,
Bedtime is calling, so I'll see you all tomorrow insha'Allah

True_Sultan

A logical believer
:salam2: brothers and sisters,
I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan

I have brought up psychological issues among Muslims in other threads before, but no one really addressed them. In fact, there were zero replies! Anyhow, I am bringing up a new one and hope that at least we can discuss this insha'Allah.

The question is do any of you guys know of Muslim support groups (specifically for people suffering from mental illnesses). Also, if you suffer from depression, bipolar and the likes, do you think you'd join an all Muslim support group to discuss ways to heal and share tips or just simply try to connect with people like you who're also Muslims??

I feel like mental illnesses in the Muslim community are not really addressed and for some it might even shock them that "a MUSLIM person" is depressed or suicidal (due to depression). I think, personally that it would be beneficial and I'd definitely join one. Other support groups aren't as helpful (because we don't share the same faith)---but yea,

Any ideas, concerns, questions, and criticisms are welcome!

Stay blessed,
Bedtime is calling, so I'll see you all tomorrow insha'Allah

Salam,

I actually do not know, to be honest, google if no success, mosque is a equal place for everyone, maybe a local mosque has a program?

Ahsen

There are issues.BIG ISSUES. I don't think religion alone can solve them. We must seek professional help.

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
salam aleikum wa rahmatulahy wa barakatuh

this is a good pill in these cases, in my humble opinion, inchallah acompanied with others, depending on each case of fear, lost, confusion...
:tti_sister:

93:1
By the morning brightness
93:2
And [by] the night when it covers with darkness,
93:3
Your Lord has not taken leave of you, [O Muhammad], nor has He detested [you].
93:4
And the Hereafter is better for you than the first [life].
93:5
And your Lord is going to give you, and you will be satisfied.

93:6
Did He not find you an orphan and give [you] refuge?
93:7
And He found you lost and guided [you],
93:8
And He found you poor and made [you] self-sufficient.
93:9
So as for the orphan, do not oppress [him].
93:10
And as for the petitioner, do not repel [him].
93:11
But as for the favor of your Lord, report [it].

103:1
By time,
103:2
Indeed, mankind is in loss,
103:3
Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience.

:salam2:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This is easy. You must fear Allah and only Allah. End of subject.

Support groups in Islam imply service to others. Our faith focuses on community. Therein lies the answers.

We are told to prepare for the hereafter. Activity is critical in mental hygiene.

To dwell on the negatives of life is a waste of time.

Spend time in salat. Spend time in visiting the sick and the elderly.

Fear and please Allah subhana wa taala.

There is no room for ego development in Islam. It is not about me..it is all about the greater good. When we state we are depressed we are looking for solutions to feed our worldly needs. We are in a state of want. We are looking at everything we do not have. We are really listening to the whispers of shytan. Why?

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as salam 'alaykum warahamtu-llah

barakAllahu feekum for addressing the issue.
subhan Allah very unfortunate but it is true that I have seen communities talking and addressing the problems of our children, family, social issues.
hiding and not discussing the issues, make things more difficult, complicated to address and eradication lies miles away.

the all i see, criticizing, backbiting, saying ones back, cursing, etc, subhan Allah, the moment we say like this: don't we realize that the Ummah will not grasp every single person, tomorrow our children or family members can fall into that haram?

as a muslim, there is nothing called depression, frustration. sometimes this is the work of shaytan, sometimes the evil feeding of the kuffar society and culture. we find a lot issue, 5 times praying good brother/sister, falling in love, complication, ends into depression, frustration and the worst: suicide.

there are many issues, and all are linked, not a small issue just to address and have khutbah, we have to dig too deep.

In Islam some issues have become taboo now.

however, i wish to have a real healthy discussion about this issue, if we all have patience and tolerance (to have our own faults pointed), insha Allah we can at least have idea and we would be careful for our coming family.

insha Allah, I'll try to write about marriage, sex and these related issues, becasue it is encompassing the largest boundary of depression/frustation/ failure and rebellious actions.

barakAllahu feekum
wassalamun alayka

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Wa alaikum salaam.

I know where I live there is some advocating to help Muslims ...I ll try to post the link but my hands are filled with a baby.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals

When we state we are depressed we are looking for solutions to feed our worldly needs.

On the contrary sister, depression makes you hate worldly needs, in fact most depressed people would rather end their life than try to find "solutions to feed worldly needs."

I am sorry to say this, but I feel like you and I do not understand each other on these issues?

I feel that Islamic support groups can be beneficial specially for teens and young adults who might not be on the same level with their parents. I know many Muslim parents do not take depression or bipolar too seriously and to be honest, how many Muslim parents out there really know the symptoms of suicide? How many?

These issues are JUST coming up in my community, not from parents but from teens and young adults who feel the need to have mentors and support groups!

Your post made me feel like you were taking this lightly? (I might be wrong).

How would you go about? How would you make a teenager who is not really into religion and battling depression get out that hole without intimidating him/her?

a_stranger

I believe that Quran and Sunna if studies seriously can wipe illness from hearts and bring healing to our souls. There might be some illness that is out of this domain -I don't know- but it think people in our time are subjected to many many outside effects which disturb their mentality. The media is directing people to Worldy material pleasures ...........while we as humans need some soul nourishment ( for example sincere prayers) .......we need to work for the akira : the hereafter for which we are all heading to. Please ponder in the following verses:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ قَدْ جَاءتْكُم مَّوْعِظَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَشِفَاء لِّمَا فِي الصُّدُورِ وَهُدًى وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ

Ya ayyuha alnnasu qad jaatkum mawAAithatun min rabbikum washifaon lima fee alssudoori wahudan warahmatun lilmumineena
10:57 O mankind! there hath come to you a direction from your Lord and a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts,- and for those who believe, a guidance and a Mercy.

وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ مَا هُوَ شِفَاء وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَلاَ يَزِيدُ الظَّالِمِينَ إَلاَّ خَسَارًا

Wanunazzilu mina alqurani ma huwa shifaon warahmatun lilmumineena wala yazeedu alththalimeena illa khasaran
17:82 We send down (stage by stage) in the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe: to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss.

*!*!*!*!*!Ar-Ra'd [13:28] *!*!*!*!*!*! *!*!
الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ اللّهِ أَلاَ بِذِكْرِ اللّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ الْقُلُوبُ

Allatheena amanoo watatmainnu quloobuhum bithikri Allahi ala bithikri Allahi tatmainnu alquloobu
13:28 "Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah. for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction.

And Allahu aalam.
:wasalam:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair dear sister for brining up this very importante question, which should be also concern of us Muslims as well.

Today society, especially Western society is destroyed by moral and normal and acceptable human behaviour. Many people today are doing the worst things Astagfirullah and this is affecting on our society as well, which can aslo affect on depression, and any kind of physical and mental disaise or any kind of negative and wrong attitude.

As Muslims it is our duty to try to give Dawah about Islam Alhamdulillah, because many people non Muslims or Muslims may be lost or may feel depression exactly because they have left Isalam and Islamic teachings.Many often someone deeds ( wrong deeds) can affect on mental state and state of one soul, which can lead to hard depression.As Muslims we know that the best cure is Allah and we should always turn to Allah before anything and anyone.Allah is the One who hear every our duas and we should always put our trust in Him and His help. Allah subhanahu wa teala sais:
"It is Allah Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me;And when I am ill, it is He who cures meAnd it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink..."And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life (again)And Who, I hope will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense, (the Day of Resurrection)" ( Surahالشعراء Al Shuara)".

From the other side, it is our duty to make more organizations which can work with youth or even older poeple who may have disaese of depression, because sometimes the reason of depression may be that the persone is feeling lonely as she do not have noone to tell his/ her problems and what is the most importante that he/ she does not have noone to listen him or understand him. Many times our parents are busy with their lifes, and their problems and they do not have enough time to listen us, talk with us and help us in our worrries and problems. And if we are keeping our feelings in ourselfe, this can become as worry in the begining and in the end it can lead to depression or even worst to hronical depression.

I think that we should use both Islamic and medical ways to help others who may have these kind of ilness. And Allah knows the best.

May Allah help us all and never leave us without His help. Ameen ya Rabby

strive-may-i

Assalamu allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair dear sister for brining up this very importante question, which should be also concern of us Muslims as well.

Today society, especially Western society is destroyed by moral and normal and acceptable human behaviour. Many people today are doing the worst things Astagfirullah and this is affecting on our society as well, which can aslo affect on depression, and any kind of physical and mental disaise or any kind of negative and wrong attitude.

As Muslims it is our duty to try to give Dawah about Islam Alhamdulillah, because many people non Muslims or Muslims may be lost or may feel depression exactly because they have left Isalam and Islamic teachings.Many often someone deeds ( wrong deeds) can affect on mental state and state of one soul, which can lead to hard depression.As Muslims we know that the best cure is Allah and we should always turn to Allah before anything and anyone.Allah is the One who hear every our duas and we should always put our trust in Him and His help. Allah subhanahu wa teala sais:
"It is Allah Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me;And when I am ill, it is He who cures meAnd it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink..."And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life (again)And Who, I hope will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense, (the Day of Resurrection)" ( Surahالشعراء Al Shuara)".

From the other side, it is our duty to make more organizations which can work with youth or even older poeple who may have disaese of depression, because sometimes the reason of depression may be that the persone is feeling lonely as she do not have noone to tell his/ her problems and what is the most importante that he/ she does not have noone to listen him or understand him. Many times our parents are busy with their lifes, and their problems and they do not have enough time to listen us, talk with us and help us in our worrries and problems. And if we are keeping our feelings in ourselfe, this can become as worry in the begining and in the end it can lead to depression or even worst to hronical depression.

I think that we should use both Islamic and medical ways to help others who may have these kind of ilness. And Allah knows the best.

May Allah help us all and never leave us without His help. Ameen ya Rabby

Well said.

Some do feel depressed, no denying that. Most shake it off successfully, few fail to. Whether the depression is real condition or a unreal, does not matter. Possibly the split up of causes are: mostly learnt, often situational and few clinical!. Some perceive it as self disgrace, some end in self-pity. So when learnt, its just that the person refuses to come out of that state of mind. Often we can sense heaviness in their ways/approach/inaction/inertia. Maybe, Some who have never felt it would not realize or understand it. To cure or heal the one feeling depressed, to make them overcome it/come out of it quickly; by showing empathy, tempered care/support, right inter personal engagement should be our priority.

Here is some research that studies the brain of people who have reached a stage of Severe Depression. It does not tell what caused depression, but whats observed when a person has reached the state of severe depression: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/242237.php. A depressed person should again not use this as justification. Usually We see, just what we want to see...

saifkhan

abd-Allah
As salam 'alaykum warahamtu-llah

i hope this thread will go far insha Allah

one thing I'd like to state:
Rasul Allah salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said: there are three things that no human being would like to confront with. (ask yourselves, these are the things!!!)
1. Failure
2. Regretting of the choice he/she makes
3. poverty
and our beloved prophet Muhammad salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam also said it's remedy: (guaranteed success, no regretting, not facing poverty, ever)
this is not a 50-50 chance, not a 70-30 chance, 100% chance of not facing those 3 things
he salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam said:
1. one who makes istikhara (consulting Allah in every matter)
2. one who makes istibshara (consulting with scholars, knowledgeable people, family members, friends, well wishers etc)
3. who will adopt modesty and moderation in every thing, simple living, avoiding the luxury.

the main, and the root problem is for the solution we knock the door of the kuffar, to live a happy and prosperous life, we knock the day of kuffar, we adopt the way of kuffar and the end of the day we end in yelling, why doesn't Allah's help coming?

the problem is when we have said, Laa Ilaha Illa Allah Muhammadur rasul Allah, no other way, no other philosophy, no other guide is going to help us, except the book of Allah and the way of rasul Allah salla Allahu 'alayhi wasallam.

insha Allah discuss further, and we'll have a nice and fruitful discussion

barakAllahu feekum
wassalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

The role of the community is critical in Islam. We have to reclaim our sense of community. There is no isolation.
Depression is the inability to reconcile the present with deep feelings of insecurity over the affairs. The depressed person is locked up in his own mind. There is that sense of heaviness over the heart.

Medication can relieve some of the temporary symptoms of depression. It may give you an energy boost. But it is not the cure.

I would love to engage in a discussion about medication. On one hand we are told that many herbal remedies are haraam and should be avoided. Yet, the chemical compounds can create hallucinations and worse suicidal thoughts and actions. As well as birth defects.

But the best of all cures is Allah subhana wa taala. Did the prophets get depressed. Herein lies the answers.

Precious Star

I have no idea why this is such a controversial topic.

We have been giventhe intelligence and technology to develop medicines and treatments to assist in the cure of illnesses.

Just because an illness is mental in origin, does that mean it is less of an illness?

Severe Depressive Disorder is an illness.

Schizophrenia is an illness.
Bipolar disorder is an illness.

Borderline Personality Disorder is an illness.

Why are some of you so resistant to medication and therapy to treat them?

Due to the medical field, fewer women die in childbirth. Infant mortality has decreased due to advanced medical care -- in fact, babies born at even 30 weeks gestation now have a very positive chance at survival with few or little deficits, due to medical advances. Once upon a time, schizoids and others with psychiatric illnesses were confined to madhouses or subject to odd "ceremonies" to extract the devil from their psyche's. These days, we are far more sophisticated in our treatment of such individuals.

Many individuals with severe depression as well as other mental illnesses can often return to work on a gradual or part-time basis. Whether this is because the symptoms are "masked' or cured is irrelevant; the goal is to make a person more functional in all spheres of life - occupational, familial, spiritual, and physical.

The argument of symptoms vs. cure is semantics. If someone is diagnosed with ovarian cancer, that has a 5-yr survival rate at best, do we discourage them from undergoing surgery and chemotherapy since we are only prolonging the inevitable? No. We maintain hope that they go into remission and stay in remission so that they have a long, productive life.

If a stroke victim suffers from tremors, do we stop medications because the medications are simply "masking' the tremors rather than curing the underlying cause? Of course not. We hope that by alleviating symptoms, the stroke victim can return to somewhat of a meaningful life, even if they continue to have some residual limitations in function. Some improvement is better than no improvement.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

And the other side of the coin is why are there so many people on an Islamic website stating that we can not rely on the prescriptions of the Quran.

It is not controversial. It is a matter of faith. It is written that Allah has told us the Quran is enough a cure for the believer. Let the believer be.

Shak78

The fact some in the Islamic Ummah still think that Depression is a not a real illness and can just be shaken off with more faith is more harmful then good. Its this type of mentality that keep people from getting the help they need to recover, understand and prevent it from taking over their lives. If I am less of a Muslim for being clinically depressed then so be it.

ShyHijabi

Sadly there is still a lot of misunderstanding and ignorance surrounding mental illness inside and outside the ummah. People lack education about mental illness and instead of trying to understand it they stigmatize those suffering from it. I have diagnosed and treated Muslim and non-Muslim alike and most of them are in a very bad way when brought into the ER.

There need not be a separation of spiritual AND medical assistance provided for Muslims dealing with mental illness. There is fear (based off medical ignorance) concerning medications such as anti-depressents and anti-Psychotics. These medications can help immensely with getting the person in a better place so they can work through the root cause of the illness. I liken it to Type 2 diabetics, often times you have to provide insulin when they have dangerously high levels of sugar in their blood. Once they are stabilized then you can slowly make diet and lifestyle changes and then eventually the insulin is no longer needed.

Also, it would be a great idea for group therapies to be provided to those suffering from mental illnesses such as clinical depression. If a person realizes they are not suffering alone, that others have been where they are and gotten better, then it can really turn around their lives. Simply telling a person they are being selfish or saying others are worse off just serves to further isolate a person already lonely and in pain. We have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason, we should always listen twice as much as we speak.