You Are Being Lied to About Pirates

You Are Being Lied to About Pirates

By Johann Hari

April 12, 2009 "Huffington Post" --- Who imagined that in 2009, the world's governments would be declaring a new War on Pirates? As you read this, the British Royal Navy - backed by the ships of more than two dozen nations, from the US to China - is sailing into Somalian waters to take on men we still picture as parrot-on-the-shoulder pantomime villains. They will soon be fighting Somalian ships and even chasing the pirates onto land, into one of the most broken countries on earth. But behind the arrr-me-hearties oddness of this tale, there is an untold scandal. The people our governments are labeling as "one of the great menace of our times" have an extraordinary story to tell -- and some justice on their side.

Pirates have never been quite who we think they are. In the "golden age of piracy" - from 1650 to 1730 - the idea of the pirate as the senseless, savage thief that lingers today was created by the British government in a great propaganda-heave. Many ordinary people believed it was false: pirates were often rescued from the gallows by supportive crowds. Why? What did they see that we can't? In his book Villains of All nations, the historian Marcus Rediker pores through the evidence to find out. If you became a merchant or navy sailor then - plucked from the docks of London's East End, young and hungry - you ended up in a floating wooden Hell. You worked all hours on a cramped, half-starved ship, and if you slacked off for a second, the all-powerful captain would whip you with the Cat O' Nine Tails. If you slacked consistently, you could be thrown overboard. And at the end of months or years of this, you were often cheated of your wages.

Pirates were the first people to rebel against this world. They mutinied against their tyrannical captains - and created a different way of working on the seas. Once they had a ship, the pirates elected their captains, and made all their decisions collectively. They shared their bounty out in what Rediker calls "one of the most egalitarian plans for the disposition of resources to be found anywhere in the eighteenth century." They even took in escaped African slaves and lived with them as equals. The pirates showed "quite clearly - and subversively - that ships did not have to be run in the brutal and oppressive ways of the merchant service and the Royal navy." This is why they were popular, despite being unproductive thieves.

The words of one pirate from that lost age - a young British man called William Scott - should echo into this new age of piracy. Just before he was hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he said: "What I did was to keep me from perishing. I was forced to go a-pirating to live." In 1991, the government of Somalia - in the Horn of Africa - collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on starvation ever since - and many of the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died. Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury - you name it." Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."

At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish-stocks by over-exploitation - and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m worth of tuna, shrimp, lobster and other sea-life is being stolen every year by vast trawlers illegally sailing into Somalia's unprotected seas. The local fishermen have suddenly lost their livelihoods, and they are starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."

This is the context in which the men we are calling "pirates" have emerged. Everyone agrees they were ordinary Somalian fishermen who at first took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least wage a 'tax' on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia - and it's not hard to see why. In a surreal telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali, said their motive was "to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters... We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas." William Scott would understand those words.

No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters - especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies. But the "pirates" have the overwhelming support of the local population for a reason. The independent Somalian news-site WardherNews conducted the best research we have into what ordinary Somalis are thinking - and it found 70 percent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence of the country's territorial waters." During the revolutionary war in America, George Washington and America's founding fathers paid pirates to protect America's territorial waters, because they had no navy or coastguard of their own. Most Americans supported them. Is this so different?

Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on their beaches, paddling in our nuclear waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We didn't act on those crimes - but when some of the fishermen responded by disrupting the transit-corridor for 20 percent of the world's oil supply, we begin to shriek about "evil." If we really want to deal with piracy, we need to stop its root cause - our crimes - before we send in the gun-boats to root out Somalia's criminals.

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor." Once again, our great imperial fleets sail in today - but who is the robber?

Source: http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22399.htm

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

this is just truly sickening..I knew something was fishy (no pun intended) about this "pirate outrage"..sobhanallah..when oppressors take off shame..they go completely naked!

Hasbona Allah wa ne'ema al-wakeel

:wasalam:

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
La hawla wala quwata illah billah.

I never paid attention to the whole ordeal but somewhere inside me I knew there had to be more than meets the eye.

I makes me mad, these lowly people who call themselves 'world leaders' I don't wantthem representing the world I live in. Just because you think you're a world leader doesn't really give you the right to do whatever you want. Even stealing someone elses fish!

They are truly losers. They'll get their share in hardship....u wait and see. The spinning wheel won't stop until it's spun to everyone.
May Allah strengthen our brothers and sisters in Somalia and grant them victory!!!!!

And Allah is the most high.

Musulmanin

I know some of you want to believe that there is some kind of conspiracy going on and pirates are not really bad guys.

But there are a few points to keep in mind.

1) Pirates never claimed they are protecting Somalian shores

2) Pirates never found radioactive barrels on the ships, at least they never claimed that they did.

3) Why would pirates hijack Saudi Arabian ships?

and Finally even if it is true that ships are dumping radioactive barrels there, don't you think all this world attention and having so many international ships in Somalian waters would be a good idea?

If it's true that italian mafia is dumping something there, then having foreign ships close by would be beneficial to Somalians, since somalian small boats can not control waters effectively. Or you want to say now that there is international conspiracy to assist italian mafia. C'mon, see things for what they are, not what you would like them to be.

Pirating in Somalia is done purely for monetary reasons because the country is so broke.

Let's not jump to believe what we want to believe, like the ignorant ones do among non-muslims when they form their opinions about Islam and Muslims. Let's look at things a little bit deeper. So called pirates should not ask for ransom, but to try to prove to the world that there are illigal activities and ask for international help to fight the criminals.

Even Islamic court or other Islamic authorities I think criticized pirates.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, please feel free to correct me where I was wrong.

stiks

Amatur-Rahman

I know some of you want to believe that there is some kind of conspiracy going on and pirates are not really bad guys.

2) Pirates never found radioactive barrels on the ships, at least they never claimed that they did.

and Finally even if it is true that ships are dumping radioactive barrels there, don't you think all this world attention and having so many international fighting ships in Somalian waters would be a good idea?

If it's true that italian mafia is dumping something there, then having foreign ships close by would be beneficial to Somalians, since somalian small boats can not control waters effectively. Or you want to say now that there is international conspiracy to assist italian mafia. C'mon, see things for what they are, not what you would like them to be.

Pirating in Somalia is done purely for monetary reasons because the country is so broke.

Even Islamic court I think criticized pirates.

Let's not jump to believe what we want to believe, like the ignorant ones do among non-muslims when they form their opinions about Islam and Muslims. Let's look at things a little bit deeper.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, please feel free to correct me where I was wrong.

Nonsense.

If the kuffar say its white, i'm happy to say its black.

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah

and Finally even if it is true that ships are dumping radioactive barrels there, don't you think all this world attention and having so many international fighting ships in Somalian waters would be a good idea?

Let's not jump to believe what we want to believe, like the ignorant ones do among non-muslims when they form their opinions about Islam and Muslims. Let's look at things a little bit deeper.

Interesting, I dont support some of the things these pirates do like attacking ships owned by muslims.
But we gotta understand that somalia doesnt have a strong government and the coast of somalia is used as toxic waste. The destruction off the somali coast is ignored by the world. Like one of the pirtaes said "The Somali coastline has been destroyed, and we believe this money is nothing compared to the devastation that we have seen on the seas.". These ships steal the fish from the seas of somalia and thats why the pirates who were ex-fishermen and reacting in attacking ships. Instead of asking for ransom I think they should demand to free the muslim prisoners held by non-muslims like the ones in israeli prisoners. Just five days ago they attacked a ship owned by Israel although it escaped. But since these guys are only interested in money and risk their lives, I dont think what they doing is islamic, But on the other hand we can justify what they doing because if these ships leave the coasts of somalia and stop stealing the somali fish they wouldnt attack anyone because they depended on fish as their profession. These even attacked as US navy ship.

alhamdullilah

Stranger
Yes, it is common knowledge among Somali circles, the reason they're doing this. I suppose it takes a non-somali to say these things to make it believable.

And I don't understand, "The pirates never said they were trying to defend the waters"?:

"Sugule Ali, said their motive was "to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters... We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas." "

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah
European companies found it to be very cheap to get rid of the waste, costing as little as $2.50 a tonne, where waste disposal costs in Europe are something like $1000 a tonne,And the waste is many different kinds. There is uranium radioactive waste. There is lead, and heavy metals like cadmium and mercury. There is also industrial waste, and there are hospital wastes, chemical wastes.
People who do this deserve to be attacked and taken as captives.

Musulmanin

Do you know if people tried to get journalists/scientists there to make a report on radioactive wastes, if not western at least maybe Al-arabiya or Al-jazeera?

and you're right it's is not Islamic, and I know the reason they are doing it, but it can not last for very long time. Soon fishing ships will be armed with weapons and young pirates or former fishermen will be killed. This conflicts will suck in entire population of somalia into another war. Pirating is not a solution, it will only cause more problems in the long run.

Musulmanin

European companies found it to be very cheap to get rid of the waste, costing as little as $2.50 a tonne, where waste disposal costs in Europe are something like $1000 a tonne,And the waste is many different kinds. There is uranium radioactive waste. There is lead, and heavy metals like cadmium and mercury. There is also industrial waste, and there are hospital wastes, chemical wastes.
People who do this deserve to be attacked and taken as captives.

I understand how the idea of having foreign ships by the coast would disturb some people, but do you think all these ships claiming to protect passing ships through Somalian waters would also keep an eye on dumping of radioactive waste, etc? Unless there is international conspiracy.

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah

Do you know if people tried to get journalists/scientists there to make a report on radioactive wastes, if not western at least maybe Al-arabiya or Al-jazeera?

and you're write it's is not Islamic, and I know the reason they are doing it, but it can not last for very long time. Soon fishing ships will be armed with weapons and young pirates or former fishermen will be killed. This conflicts will suck in entire population of somalia into another war. Pirating is not a solution, it will only cause more problems in the long run.

I never said piracy is the solution but how can we expect these guys to sit back and watch what is being done to their waters since there's no effective govenrment to do something about this problem. The solution is somalis need to sort their problems out and make some kind of lasting reconciliation, and the muslim countries need to support somalia to get a strong government that would benefit the people and the country.

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah

I understand how the idea of having foreign ships by the coast would disturb some people, but do you think all these ships claiming to protect passing ships through Somalian waters would also keep an eye on dumping of radioactive waste, etc? Unless there is international conspiracy.

Obviously not all ships are to be blamed for this problem but all the ships that pass the coast off somalia aren't innocent even these navy ships. I dont know if you remember but the US navies attacked cities and towns in somalia from the sea and air they killed innocent people who were farmers because their excuse was somalia is a safe haven for what the call terrorists.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I remember reading that interview of the Somali pirates quoted in the original thread. I'm still a little confused about the whole thing though. Like it states in the OP, originally most piracy was as a response to fishermen just responding to foreign nations plundering their natural resources. What i'm worried about is 'piracy' being used as an excuse for another military operation on Somali soil. The press are already bringing up how some of these groups are linked to Al-Qaeeda and what not.

Musulmanin

I remember reading that interview of the Somali pirates quoted in the original thread. I'm still a little confused about the whole thing though. Like it states in the OP, originally most piracy was as a response to fishermen just responding to foreign nations plundering their natural resources. What i'm worried about is 'piracy' being used as an excuse for another military operation on Somali soil. The press are already bringing up how some of these groups are linked to Al-Qaeeda and what not.

Originally I thought press would link pirates to Al-Qaeda, but I haven't come across this news of the linkage yet. what I heard on the news sometime ago that there still was no proof of pirate's al-qaeda affiliation and that islamic court was critizing pirates.

From one brother who grew up in Somalia I heard that in those areas where people get money from ransom, prices on food sky-rocketed because people had lot's of money on their hands. But those not involved in pirating actually have hard time financially since prices went up but non-pirates income has not.

Salaam,

You stated,

Every story has two sides.

They didn't say it in that context but doesn't Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah statement (from the article) "They are dumping nuclear material" imply they are and/or want to protect their shores?

How do you know that? Cadmium and mercury are being dumped as stated in the article.

Allah knows best. Every story has two sides.

A good idea to further distort the truth!? Brother the voice of oppressed are never mentioned in Western media.

If it's true that italian mafia is dumping something there, then having foreign military ships close by would be beneficial to Somalians, since somalian small boats can not control waters effectively. Or you want to say now that there is international conspiracy to assist italian mafia. C'mon, see things for what they are, not what you would like them to be.

"Foreign military" or Westerners & their allies only support each other. That should be apparent as a crystal ball.

Pirating in Somalia is done purely for monetary reasons because the country is so broke. At most, I thing foreign ships are illigally catching fish in Somalian waters.

Who made them broke? U.S. & it's allies have been providing military support to (Christian) Ethopians to fighting against Somalia while they were trying to implement sharia.

Evidence?

Brother, I suggest you read all your sources before making general statements. It's good to be skeptical but you need to search for sources. It was once said that those who control the sea control the war but today it's those who control the media control the people. We Muslims have been victims of not only U.S. & Western military & political aggression but lies as well.

And believe me, it won't be long until the U.S. & it's allies starts killing innocent Somalians under the guise of "pirates."

I urge you to listen to shaykh Anwar Al-walaki's "The Battle of Winning Hearts & Minds"

Musulmanin

Islamist leader calls on pirates to release ships
2008-12-02

MOGADISHU (AFP) - Somalia's insurgent Islamist leader Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys called on Tuesday for pirates to immediately release a giant Saudi oil tanker and other foreign vessels being held in Somali waters.

"We are calling for the immediate release of all international vessels under the command of Somali pirates, who are undermining international peace and trade," Aweys told AFP from the Etitrean capital Asmara.

Aweys, the leader of the Alliance for the Re-Liberation of Somalia -- an umbrella opposition group -- said the pirates would have been stamped out if Somalia were still under the control of his Islamist group.

"We are the only force that could eliminate piracy in the Somalia waters but the world rejected to give us the opportunity to rule Somalia, despite the will of the vast majority of the people of Somalia.

"If we are given the opportunity to fight piracy and general lawlessness we can do that comfortably. Piracy is part of lawlessness and during our months of Islamic leadership pirates were underground," he said.

His Islamic Courts Union ruled most of south and central Somalia for six months in 2006 before being ousted by Ethiopian forces who intervened to prop up its neighbour's weak central government.

The influential cleric, designated a terrorist by Washington because of alleged ties to Al-Qaeda, ruled out any mediation effort on the part of his organisation.

"As a leader of a freedom fighter organisation, I personally can't talk to gangs and mediate the release of the ships in the Gulf of Aden," he said.

He said the pirates, negotiating multi-million dollar ransoms for the Saudi tanker "Sirius Star" and a Ukraine arms ship the "Faina" as well as a host of other foreign vessels and their crews, "are dealing with the world as if they were legitimate agencies, by talking about ransom money."

"We are the only force to deal with such criminals," he added.

Aweys equated the rampant piracy to the intervention of Ethiopian forces in his country.

"It is so painful to see Somalia taken by Ethiopian colonial occupation and crazy pirates. Both are the same and undermine human value."

Motivated by the need to fill the vacuum left by the fall of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991, Aweys founded Mogadishu's first Islamic court in the mid-1990s.

Ibn_hassan

Servant of Allah
A good idea to further distort the truth!? Brother the voice of oppressed are never mentioned in Western media.

mashallah What a true comment you made there brother. I really think These ships can safely travel by the somali sea if their governments change their attitude towards these fishermen . Because these pirates are in need of jobs and money so if they left alone to their sea and land then they woudnt attack.