Your opinions on this?

xAllahKnowsBestx

Assalamu 'alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakahtuh.

This isn't necessarily a question, but I just want your opinions on this. Islamic "rulings", if any, would be great as well.

A couple of days ago, I posted a question on an Islamic "forum" - eh, more like the Ramadan Section on Yahoo Answers (yes, I know...) I was looking for opinions on an "observation" I'd made. But of course, it ended up being the perfect question for drama. I hope it doesn't happen with this because my intentions aren't to create fitnah or anything.

Anyways, my question was about Jewish people - practicing ones. Before posting the question, I went to an event at a university. So what I basically said in my question was that there were Muslims who won awards and everything mashaa'Allaah, but what I'd "observed" was that none of them refused to shake hands with the opposite gender or stand next to them for the pictures. Yet to my surprise, a Jewish man did exactly the opposite -not shaking hands with the opposite gender and not standing close to them, lowering his gaze and whatnot. I found that pretty cool because he stood up for what he believed in and appeared to be very modest. So in my question, I said that I admired his action and his confidence (but NOT the person or his beliefs) and said that we should all try to take a lesson out of it and practice OUR religion which is PERFECT without being scared of being judged or something. For this... well, I got attacked. One of the Muslims started calling me an ignorant idiot for admiring the actions of a non Muslim.

I'll get to my question: Is it wrong or haraam to admire a certain quality or an action of a person who's a non-Muslim? I've come across many Muslims who get angry if you quote a non Muslim.. I don't know.. Like say, Gandhi saying "In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place." If you admire a certain action done by a kaffir that is in accordance with Islam, would that be haraam?

JazaakAllaahu khayr. :)

a_stranger

:salam2:

Just as what you said we should admire his action not belief. Actually we should learn from him to be strong in practicing the noble values of Islam because when we do so we are doing it for Allah subhanahu wa

But we should be very careful not to admire any false belief or act that is against the teachings of Islam.

Jazk Allah kairan

Murad206

La ilaha illa-Allah.
:salam2:, subhan'Allah the shayhk was just talking about shaking hands with the opposite gender yesterday. He said Rasool'Allah sall'Allahu alayhi wa sallam said that it's as bad as getting a knife stabbed in your head or something like that, I don't really remember though. But that Jew masha'Allah is a good lesson for us!

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

Our ability to recognise good and bad shouldn't be influenced much by a persons belief, good qualities are still admirable in people, and bad ones abhorent.

When a Muslim has a bad characteristics that isn't admirable in anyway, its wrong on two levels, first from a human persepective they should know better and secondly, this charactertistic would probably be contrary to Islaam anyway.

xAllahKnowsBestx

:salam2:

Just as what you said we should admire his action not belief. Actually we should learn from him to be strong in practicing the noble values of Islam because when we do so we are doing it for Allah subhanahu wa

But we should be very careful not to admire any false belief or act that is against the teachings of Islam.

Jazk Allah kairan

:wasalam:

Wa iyyaki, sis. Thank you for answering!

:salam2:, subhan'Allah the shayhk was just talking about shaking hands with the opposite gender yesterday. He said Rasool'Allah sall'Allahu alayhi wa sallam said that it's as bad as getting a knife stabbed in your head or something like that, I don't really remember though. But that Jew masha'Allah is a good lesson for us!

Subhan'Allaah, is this the hadith?

It was narrated that Ma’qil ibn Yassaar said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “For one of you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle is better for him than that he should touch a woman who is not permissible for him.”

Assalamu'alaykum,

Our ability to recognise good and bad shouldn't be influenced much by a persons belief, good qualities are still admirable in people, and bad ones abhorent.

When a Muslim has a bad characteristics that isn't admirable in anyway, its wrong on two levels, first from a human persepective they should know better and secondly, this charactertistic would probably be contrary to Islaam anyway.

Agreed! JazaakAllaahu khayr, sis.