Zakat confusion for wiFe

saadbin

Asssalamalikum brtoher & sister,

I want to pay zakat for myself & my wife,
Mine is straightforward in zakat calculator but I have doubt about paying Zakat for my wife.
My wife got jewellery (Purchased) (earned by my wife) , Cash Saving (earned by my wife) & gifted from relatives.
My wife is not working at the movement, so who should pay zakat on her savings?
I assume Gifted jewellery I need to pay but what about her Purchases with her own money?

Please help,
I have only one week to pay Zakat.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Wa`alaykumassalam

If a woman has jewellery that qualifies for nisaab and passes one lunar year she has to pay Zakah on it even if she doesn't have cash she has to sell some part of it and pay the zakah.

saadbin

Asslamalikum Brother,

Are u sure wife needs to pay Zakat on her own jewellery, even if she is not working?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum,

it sounds a little strange if husband is not allowed to give money to his wife for zakat...

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum;

not sure are we talking about same thing but isn´t for (somebody) means also on behalf of (somebody). So I understood that brother asked can he pay zakat for/on behalf of his wife or has his wife sells hers jewellery?

If brother meant something else, I apologize my misunderstanding.

sulaiman786

Aslaam Alaikum saadbin

This is a very interesting question and i will give you my judgement on this.
you will need to calculate your zakat for the lunar year and pay that off accordingly.
As for your wifes situation, although she is not working at the moment, You as a husband CAN pay that zakat for her but by my understanding, you are not obliged to pay your wifes earn't money or jewelly and if you refuse to pay her zakat, then it becomes obligatory for your wife to pay her own zakat because she has savings to do this.
May Allah guide us all. I f i have made a mistake in this, Please forgive me and correct me as i am only human and we should share knowledge.
Alternatively, please go and see you imam or sheikh, if you want, i wil also do this for you. let me know.
Waslaam

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Asslamalikum Brother,

Are u sure wife needs to pay Zakat on her own jewellery, even if she is not working?

I forgot to read the part where you mentioned can you pay for it so the answer is yes you can pay zakah for her jewellery.

The husband does not have to pay zakaah on the jewellery on his wife’s behalf, because the zakaah is only obligatory on the possessor of the wealth, and the possessor in this case is your wife, because she is the owner of the jewellery. So she has to pay zakaah on it, either from the jewellery itself or from its monetary value. If her husband or someone else pays zakaah on her behalf with her permission, that is o.k., and he will be rewarded for this voluntary action.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/50273/zakat jewellery
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/12338/zakat jewellery

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I'm sure I've read on Islamqa that while the wife should pay her own zakaah from her own savings, if her husband pays it on her behalf, he too will get some reward.

Edit:

Sorry, the brother above already posted the links for it.