Zakat & taxes (USA specific)

q8penpals

Assalam aliekum

I am wondering, if I donated my zakat to a legitimate charity, and they give me a charitable donation form to file with my taxes (thereby reducing my income tax liability) - is this allowable? Or do I have to pay additional zakat in order to make-up the tax discount I am getting? (for instance, if the tax-break I get is $200, can I just keep it, or do I have to give the $200 in zakat again?)

Thanks in advance...

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I would also like to know the answer to this, even though I never understand all the tax details >.<

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam: sister,

You should pose the question to a shaykh and then be 100% sure that whether you need or don't need to pay the $200.

Wasalaamalaykum

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Assalam aliekum

I am wondering, if I donated my zakat to a legitimate charity, and they give me a charitable donation form to file with my taxes (thereby reducing my income tax liability) - is this allowable? Or do I have to pay additional zakat in order to make-up the tax discount I am getting? (for instance, if the tax-break I get is $200, can I just keep it, or do I have to give the $200 in zakat again?)

:wasalam:

ask @ askmufti.co.za. inshallah reply within 7-10 days.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This is an excellent question. I thought and thought about this as I prepared my taxes. I tore up my receipts and did not take the break. I just thought about the phrase : render onto to Caesar what is his and render onto God what is His.
As we await an answer from a scholar..it seems that you must be able to claim the deductions as Islamic charities will send you the receipts at the same time as the W-2's come in. Brother Ayman is very knowledgeable.

Me, I just want blessings because Allah subhana talla always gives me more in return. If I donate a dollar I get one hundred back. But my answer is very subjective.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Hmm.. is there any site like "Taxes for Dummies" or something of the sort? I've just started working, and I have NO CLUE if I need to pay taxes or not, or how to at all, while all around me people are stocking up on TurboTax and talking about tax rebates while I feel all stupid and ignorant.